3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185137 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Monsters of the Midway
« Reply #2310 on: December 10, 2018, 09:52:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm with the others on this on bosk1.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2311 on: December 10, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »
Really? I'm not aware of much baggage with him.

Same. Care to elaborate, bosk?

He's a lot like the Chris Paul of the NFL--very active and visible, and garners the respect of the home crowd and journalists, while everyone else pretty much hates him for being a notoriously dirty player.  Just go back to last week, for example.  Player on the opposing defense loses a shoe and is trying to quickly get it between plays, and Wilson runs over, throws it 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage and then quickly signals for a "hurry up" to snap the ball.  That's just dirty and classless.  If officials had seen it, best case is a delay of game, and worst is unsportsmanlike conduct.  But, again like CP3, he did it pretty sneakily and they didn't catch it.  He's being pulling crap like that since day 1 and does it all the time.  Which is, again, why he isn't liked by players around the league who don't happen to be on his team.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2312 on: December 10, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »
That seems to be a bit of a reach....

Unfortunately, the All-22 footage revealed nothing extra, but Wilson has confirmed that he was the culprit.

“We were going no-huddle and it was right where we were going to pretty much snap it,’’ Wilson said at Friday’s press conference (via Seattle Times). “I was like ‘anybody’s shoe?’ So I was like all right, whatever. So I threw it. I didn’t want to throw it forward because we were going in that direction toward the end zone. Never seen a shoe on the field like that in the middle of the play when going no-huddle.’’

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/12/8/18132282/russell-wilson-throwing-49ers-players-shoe-kyle-shanahan-sideline-outburst

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2313 on: December 10, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2314 on: December 10, 2018, 10:14:40 AM »
Really? I'm not aware of much baggage with him.

That's because there really is none.

I have to tread lightly with this for obvious reasons, but I think some players probably do not like him because a) he is not "street" enough and b) they think he is too much of a "corporate" guy (and these players aren't happy unless they are fighting against the system and have a cause to rebel against, and view Wilson as a traitor for not taking that same stance). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2315 on: December 10, 2018, 10:15:25 AM »

As is typical with sports threads, you can present dead accurate, cold hard facts, and get "well, that's kind of a reach" in response.  Which is why I won't even waste my team doing a laundry list.  As I said, that's just the latest example.  Dirty play from him is a regular occurrence, and it's telling that you only have to go back to the most recent game to find an example.  When it's so habitual that players around the league pretty much expect it week in and week out, I don't see how you can defend it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2316 on: December 10, 2018, 10:18:21 AM »
Wasn't there locker room strife because he was not "black" enough? The reports words, not mine! :)

As is typical with sports threads, you can present dead accurate, cold hard facts, and get "well, that's kind of a reach" in response.  Which is why I won't even waste my team doing a laundry list.  As I said, that's just the latest example.  Dirty play from him is a regular occurrence, and it's telling that you only have to go back to the most recent game to find an example.  When it's so habitual that players around the league pretty much expect it week in and week out, I don't see how you can defend it.

I was asking because I had never heard that. I'm not the biggest football fan to begin with, but when I do watch games, it's rare I see a west coast game.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2317 on: December 10, 2018, 10:23:46 AM »
I have to tread lightly with this for obvious reasons, but I think some players probably do not like him because a) he is not "street" enough and b) they think he is too much of a "corporate" guy (and these players aren't happy unless they are fighting against the system and have a cause to rebel against, and view Wilson as a traitor for not taking that same stance). 
Wasn't there locker room strife because he was not "black" enough? The reports words, not mine! :)

Unfortunately, that's a thing for some.  I don't deny that Wilson may have been (and may still be) a target for some of that.  But that's a separate issue.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: December 10, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »

I mean, he had a logical explanation as to why he did what he did. Now if the player was actively trying to get his cleat back, and he chucked it away, then that would be something.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2319 on: December 10, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »
Even though I dislike Cris Carter a lot, I will sometimes watch the show he has on early in the morning with Nick Wright (football chatter in the background when getting ready for work), and I find it interesting that Nick Wright (who is white) almost always refers to every black QB by their first name, while not extending the same courtesy to nearly as many white quarterbacks.  It's always Cam, and Russell, and Jameis, and Lamar, and Colin, and Dak, and Tyrod, etc.  And he clearly roots for them all pretty hard and wants them all to do well.  Tons of quarterbacks went in the first round this year and Lamar Jackson (the only black one) is the one he clearly roots for the most.  It doesn't annoy me or anything, since Wright never gets worked up and always offers his opinion in a well-spoken and intelligent manner (instead of being one of these talking heads who has to be loud in an obnoxious way).  I just find it interesting. 

Offline pg1067

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - McCarthy sent Packing
« Reply #2320 on: December 10, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »
I like Wilson, quite a bit, and Carroll is okay.

What makes me hate Seattle is that fucking electric green in their uniforms. That isn't football, it just... wrong, man.

This guy would like a word with you...

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2321 on: December 10, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »
That's okay.  A good deal of fashion consultants would like a word with him.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2322 on: December 10, 2018, 01:31:58 PM »
That looks like something out of a live action Japanese anime series. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2323 on: December 10, 2018, 01:44:08 PM »
That looks like something out of a live action Japanese anime series.

He's the new Pokémon...Tackledude.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2324 on: December 10, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »
re: Wilson

>>>>Bosk also fails to mention that he's a Niners fan, which means he automatically has a dislike for the Seahawks and their players. ;)

It's like me complaining about how much the Patriots cheat and play dirty, but it counts for nothing coming from a Jets fan until someone else comes along and corroborates it. Oh wait, that happened.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2325 on: December 10, 2018, 01:57:57 PM »
Sam don't make me post pictures of the butt fumble.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2326 on: December 10, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »

>>>>Bosk also fails to mention that he's a Niners fan, which means he automatically has a dislike for the Seahawks and their players. ;)

It's like me complaining about how much the Patriots cheat and play dirty, but it counts for nothing coming from a Jets fan until someone else comes along and corroborates it. Oh wait, that happened.  :lol

No, I didn't "fail" to mention anything.  Even aside from the fact that I did in fact mention that in my post, it's common knowledge in this thread. 

And what is also pretty common knowledge is Wilson's dirty play.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: December 10, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »

No, I didn't "fail" to mention anything.  Even aside from the fact that I did in fact mention that in my post, it's common knowledge in this thread. 

And what is also pretty common knowledge is Wilson's dirty play.

:rollin

Uh oh, someone is annoyed. Spoken like a true Niners fan, bosk1. Your fellow fans are proud (I assume).  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2328 on: December 10, 2018, 02:49:11 PM »
Sam don't make me post pictures of the butt fumble.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

You have NO IDEA how many texts I've gotten the last couple of weeks with pics of that after Sanchez signed with the Redskins.

As anyone who knows me will attest, I was always ANTI-SANCHEZ and ANTI-REX RYAN, so while annoying, I never supported that whole thing. Sanchez was a bum from his days at USC. I'll never forget when the Jets drafted him. I hated the pick, and a buddy of mine who is a USC alum, and a former football coach said:

"B, here's the book on Sanchez. Will look great in practice, and if his first read is open. The moment it isn't, he gets happy feet, and he's done. Book it."

Coach AT was dead-on. And Sanchez is still like that. Which is why he couldn't hold a job.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2329 on: December 10, 2018, 03:00:01 PM »
having watched Wilson play at Wisconsin and watching him sporadically throughout his NFL career, I've never heard of him being a dirty player.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2330 on: December 10, 2018, 03:08:55 PM »
having watched Wilson play at Wisconsin and watching him sporadically throughout his NFL career, I've never heard of him being a dirty player.

Yup, he was a class act in college (even when he completely dominated my PSU team) and never heard of one bad thing about him.  No offense, Bosk, but your posts read of a fan of a rival team.  I'm sure he's done some things that aren't the best, but to spot light those is to spotlight someone you, specifically, just don't like unless you got more ammo but it seems if people don't like him the results from google come down to what Kev and TAC mentioned and not because he is a dirty player.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2331 on: December 10, 2018, 03:09:43 PM »
Well, my definition of "dirty" player is a guy who takes cheap shots and tries to physically injure other players.  Whatever RW does or is doing is probably called something else.

Oh BTW, somebody get Cam Newton a beer so he can cry in it!   :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Dream Team

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - McCarthy sent Packing
« Reply #2332 on: December 10, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »
The Steelers are in real trouble.  They always struggle against the Patriots anyway, and Belichick is gonna be in a foul mood this week, relative to his normal foulness. :lol :lol

Steelers are pissed too. Ben played almost a perfect game but Tomlin kept him on the sideline the whole 3rd quarter while Dobbs was shitting himself. Players should mutiny against The Aviators, but short of that I hope they bring it Sunday.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2333 on: December 10, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »

Hmmm...

https://yourteamcheats.com/NE

https://yourteamcheats.com/NYJ
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2334 on: December 10, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
Kev, a quote from the Bill Belichick radio interview today.

"Look, it's the National Football League. Nobody died."

:lol :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2335 on: December 10, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
LOL, exactly.

And Mike Tomlin should be thanking Belichick.  His boneheaded coaching was largely ignored on the various sports shows I DVR'd today since all they wanted to talk about, in regards to coaching, was Belichick's mistake at the end. 

Not sure how a coach not putting his HOF QB back in a game they ended up losing, and to the worst team in the league, isn't major news, but it just shows again how in love the media is with Mike Tomlin.  Must be nice.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: December 10, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
LOL, exactly.

And Mike Tomlin should be thanking Belichick.  His boneheaded coaching was largely ignored on the various sports shows I DVR'd today since all they wanted to talk about, in regards to coaching, was Belichick's mistake at the end. 

Not sure how a coach not putting his HOF QB back in a game they ended up losing, and to the worst team in the league, isn't major news, but it just shows again how in love the media is with Mike Tomlin.  Must be nice.

What was Belichick's mistake?  Did he miss that tackle (or any of the six blown tackles on that last play)?   Or did he blow what was it, two field goals and an extra point?  I didn't watch all the game, but I didn't see him do any of that.

(I also saw a great meme/gif/jpeg/whateverthefuck of "Gronkowski tacking" and it was someone taking a digger with a cake. It was funny.  It was a reply to a post from the Patriots but I can't find it now.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2337 on: December 10, 2018, 06:29:04 PM »
Having Gronk in on the last play was a major blunder, considering he is only useful on defense on a Hail Mary and Ryan Tannehill was not about to throw a Hail Mary 80 yards down field, so a lateral-type play was their only shot, meaning you want speed guys out there, not a lumbering tight end who looks old and slow.  It's rare for Belichick to make a mistake like that, as the Patriots usually destroy teams when it comes to situational football, which is why they win so many close games.  He's still the best football coach ever, but even the best have their rare bad moments.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2338 on: December 10, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
I agree with Kev. It was a mistake.   If the ball was at the 50 then it would be ok for Gronk to be in.

I can count on my left hand how many glaring mistakes BB has made. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2339 on: December 10, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »
The only one I remember being talked about so much was going for it on 4th down in that Colts/Pats game in 2009 and I don't even think that was a mistake.  He knew his D wasn't gonna stop Manning, so he went for it to put the game away and it didn't work out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2340 on: December 10, 2018, 06:51:32 PM »
Exactly.   That Colts offense was on a roll the second half. That was the right call that wasn't executed.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Russell Wilson - "Notoriously Dirty Player"
« Reply #2341 on: December 10, 2018, 06:58:15 PM »
I think it's a testament to Belichick that one perceived gaff creates such a controversy, when you have guys like Reid and Tomlin who sometimes seem like they couldn't manage a game with Walter Camp and Copernicus on their staff, and a reset button.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2342 on: December 10, 2018, 07:00:42 PM »
Bill pretty much owned up to the Gronk thing today. He made it pretty clear that situational awareness is something that the entire coaching staff needs to improve, particularly after yesterday.

And 4th and 2 was the right call. I've seen him make some pretty dubious decisions (I recall a fake punt that was pretty ill-advised), but they're few and far between and more often than not the pointless babbling of radio people.

About Russell Wilson and the shoe, I've got no problem with what he did. An object on the field is an impediment to his ability to run the offense. Clock's running, he's playing football, get it out of the way. As for the defensive player that lost his shoe, that's on him. There's no stoppage of play for that. What was he going to do, kneel down and lace it back up while the clock's ticking? He could have taken a timeout, or he could have subbed out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2343 on: December 10, 2018, 07:26:18 PM »
The 4th and 2 wasn't so much of a tactical mistake as it was a coaching moment to his defense.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2344 on: December 10, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »
Watching this game . . . a lot of supposedly great QBs playing like absolute shit this week.