3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 184341 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
You're seeing players already tweeting about it.  It was dying off all ready and now some are feeling they need to respond.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

So will the concessions people be closing up shop during the playing of the anthem?  Will the bathrooms be closed?  Will the merchandisers stop taking money for that cool foam finger?  Asking for a friend.

Nope. I guess if the owner of the team hosting the game wanted those things to stop during the anthem, they could do that. But that would cost them money, so they won't. That's the reason for this decision about kneeling, they are afraid to lose money from ticket buyers, from the government and from TV revenues.

Actually, I just read that the 49rs will not allow concession sales during the anthem for the 2018 season.

Offline mikeyd23

So will the concessions people be closing up shop during the playing of the anthem?  Will the bathrooms be closed?  Will the merchandisers stop taking money for that cool foam finger?  Asking for a friend.

Nope. I guess if the owner of the team hosting the game wanted those things to stop during the anthem, they could do that. But that would cost them money, so they won't. That's the reason for this decision about kneeling, they are afraid to lose money from ticket buyers, from the government and from TV revenues.

Actually, I just read that the 49rs will not allow concession sales during the anthem for the 2018 season.

Wow, see that actually surprises me.

Offline kaos2900

Thinking more on this, I think this is where I stand

- I think people should stand during the anthem
- I think the NFL as the employer can create/enforce the rules they did
- If the NFL did nothing and people continued to kneel I wouldn't stop watching the NFL

So in a nut shell, I'd prefer people stand and pay attention to the anthem, but if they don't then I don't really care. So I'm moving on from this topic since it doesn't need or deserve any more attention from me.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
And yet the NFL (and Grabby) gives it more than the attention it deserves
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Day 3

The Cincinnati Bengals

My mount rushmore would be Anthony Munoz, Boomer Esiason, Ken Anderson, AJ Green

Honorable mention to the ever entertaining Chad Johnson/Ocho Cinco

Favorite games involving the Bengals.... damn not many..... I'd say the most memorable were the playoff games against Pittsburgh. The one in 2006 where they took out Carson Palmer's knee early in the game... then the one from a couple of years ago where the team completely self-destructed, especially Burfict and Pacman. What a mess of a franchise.

Love the helmet... the jerseys are okay. Prefer the black tops to the orange tops.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Day 3

The Cincinnati Bengals

My mount rushmore would be Anthony Munoz, Boomer Esiason, Ken Anderson, AJ Green

Favorite games involving the Bengals.... damn not many..... I'd say the most memorable were the playoff games against Pittsburgh. The one in 2006 where they took out Carson Palmer's knee early in the game... then the one from a couple of years ago where the team completely self-destructed, especially Burfict and Pacman. What a mess of a franchise.

Love the helmet... the jerseys are okay. Prefer the black tops to the orange tops.

Hard to argue against those four. Maybe Rodney Holman deserves a spot, but I'm not sure which one. Very well rounded TE back before they were essentially ginormous receivers.

Favorite game (sorry Greg) Bengals 34 Rams 31 with 850 yards passing. With Eddie Brown injured the Bengals had 3 other receivers with over 100 yards.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

I don't know much about Bengals history but I love logo/colors of the uniforms.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Don't forget the Icky Shuffle!

Boomer was my favorite from Cincy.  As a lefty into sports, I idolized the lefties in the game. 

The SB loss was a game that is still vivid in my memory.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
You're seeing players already tweeting about it.  It was dying off all ready and now some are feeling they need to respond.

This is what cracks me up. They single handedly re-stirred the pot after talk about it had died down, they pissed off a decent segment of their players (and some of their fans on the liberal side of the spectrum), and then Trump came out this morning and said what they did wasn't enough. So they've made exactly nobody happy :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Bengals:  Big Boomer fan, also a big Chris Collinsworth fan.   Unfortunately the last five years, plus minus, are everything I dislike about pro sports today.   Wimpy coach that can't control his team, and a bunch of players who's self-image is RADICALLY different than the reality, all reflected in a record that fits.   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

This is what cracks me up. They single handedly re-stirred the pot after talk about it had died down, they pissed off a decent segment of their players (and some of their fans on the liberal side of the spectrum), and then Trump came out this morning and said what they did wasn't enough. So they've made exactly nobody happy :lol
Did he say that too? My interpretation was that he approved, but thought that the protesters should move to Russia or something.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick

Did he say that too? My interpretation was that he approved, but thought that the protesters should move to Russia or something.  :lol

The way I read his comments was that the NFL shouldn't even give the players the option of staying in the locker room.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

Day 3

The Cincinnati Bengals

My favorite games would be the two Bengals Super Bowls (16 and 23) -- two of the more entertaining Super Bowls of the 80s.  Also the playoff game against San Diego where it was -50 degrees or something like that.

FWIW, in 2017, a web site called cincyjungle.com named the following as the top 5 Bengals of all time:  (5) Chad Johnson; (4) Boomer Esiason; (3) Ken Riley (a 4x all-pro cornerback who played from 69-83); (2) Ken Anderson; (1) Anthony Munoz.  A.J. Green ranked #7 (one spot ahead of Isaac Curtis, whom I would have put ahead of Green).

Honorable mention to Cris Collinsworth, Pat McInally and Boobie Clark.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I'm definitely putting Boomer ahead of Ken Anderson. The Bengals might have been the first team to regularly use the hurry-up offense as a routine offense and Boomer had it mastered. Moreover, I can't think of any QB that was better with play action than he was. That became a hallmark of a Sam Wyche coached QB, but his was as good as it got.

As for Johnson v. Green, I'm probably leaning Green's direction. Statistically they're pretty much dead even, but it says something to me that CJ couldn't play in NE with a much more pass friendly, but complicated system. Green strikes me as an intelligent guy while CJ seems like a buffoon.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Dead on with Boomer El Barto.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I would personally put Corey Dillon on there since his monster game in his rookie season against the Titans helped me win my first fantasy football championship, but I will admit to a slight bit of bias. ;)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I would personally put Corey Dillon on there since his monster game in his rookie season against the Titans helped me win my first fantasy football championship, but I will admit to a slight bit of bias. ;)
I have a similar fondness for the guy based on his first season with NE. Won me my second.  :tup
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
1600 plus yards.  He was a beast that year in 2004.

Offline PowerSlave

Boomer was a really good QB, but I also consider him to be the most annoying sports analyst on TV, and that's saying something. I remember when him and Dan Dierdorf were the Monday night crew, and I could sense DD's constant frustration with him on every broadcast. He isn't much better on CBS's pre-game now, either.

And I have to completely agree with you guys that brought up Corey Dillon. That guy was an absolute beast.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Day 5 – Tennessee Titans/Houston Oilers

Today we discuss the Titans/Oilers (since the Titans retain the Oilers’ history).

My Mount Rushmore – Bruce Matthews, Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, Steve McNair 

The Oilers were one of my 2 go to teams in Tecmo Super Bowl (Along with the Eagles). Just loved playing with Moon, Drew Hill, Haywood Jeffries, Earnest Givens, and Lorenzo White. Made for a wide-open offense.

Most memorable games – For me, I don’t remember many Oiler games. But the two big Titan games I remember were the Super Bowl where they were a yard short, and the Divisional game against Baltimore where Ray Lewis took the ball from Eddie George. Tennessee/Baltimore was shaping up to be quite the rivalry prior to re-alignment.

Loved the Oilers Helmets/Uniforms. Ditto for the Titans’ original look. Not digging the recent overhaul….

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Dead on with Boomer El Barto.

And Green.   Johnson was an athlete, not a football player.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Too many good Oilers/Titans to choose from. Bethea is certainly a reasonable choice, as it Watt. Not many defensive players have the ability to completely takeover a football game like he can.

And when they played in two named games, the favorites aren't hard to choose from. The Comeback and The Music City Miracle were both fantastic to see.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
One of my memories seeing the Titans/Oilers was in Jan 10th, 2004. It was the Divisional round of the playoffs.  it was 4 degrees with a wind chill of -20.  Our car battery died in the parking lot thanks you my buddy leaving his indoor light on.  IT was the second coldest game I ever went to.  A hard fought battle that the Pats barely escaped with a FG in the 4th quarter to win 17-14 and went on to win SB #2.

Offline pg1067

Day 5 – Tennessee Titans/Houston Oilers

Today we discuss the Titans/Oilers (since the Titans retain the Oilers’ history).

My Mount Rushmore – Bruce Matthews, Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, Steve McNair 

The Oilers were one of my 2 go to teams in Tecmo Super Bowl (Along with the Eagles). Just loved playing with Moon, Drew Hill, Haywood Jeffries, Earnest Givens, and Lorenzo White. Made for a wide-open offense.

Most memorable games – For me, I don’t remember many Oiler games. But the two big Titan games I remember were the Super Bowl where they were a yard short, and the Divisional game against Baltimore where Ray Lewis took the ball from Eddie George. Tennessee/Baltimore was shaping up to be quite the rivalry prior to re-alignment.

When I first started watching football, the Steelers v. Oilers rivalry was fun to watch, and when you talk about the Houston Oilers, the first guy that comes to my mind is Billy "White Shoes" Johnson.  A 3x pro bowler and first team all pro, Johnson was a member of the NFL's all-decade teams for the 1970s and 1980s and the NFL's 75th anniversary team.  But the most memorable thing about him for me were his touchdown celebrations.

I'd put him on the team's Mount Rushmore over McNair, and I agree with the other selections.

Most memorable game has to be the Music City Miracle.  And, because "memorable" doesn't have to mean good, the Bills comeback from a 35-3 defecit has to be up there too.

Too many good Oilers/Titans to choose from. Bethea is certainly a reasonable choice, as it Watt.

Watt???
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Give me a Bum anyday. Loved the hat.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Too many good Oilers/Titans to choose from. Bethea is certainly a reasonable choice, as it Watt.

Watt???
Damn. That whole thing still fucks with my head.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

Watt???

Just wait 'til we get to the Browns/Ravens.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Love the old Oilers.  Coulnd't give even half a f*** about the Titans.

Pastorini, Moon, Campbell, Phillips...  they weren't as good a team as some of the dynasties, but like the Chargers, you knew you were going to have to earn the win playing against them. 

I met White Shoes at a Falcons game back awhile ago (late 90's maybe?).   Very nice,  humble man.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Watt???

That won't be nearly as bad as Cleveland got to keep their history.

Offline max_security

Watt???

That won't be nearly as bad as Cleveland got to keep their history.

Baltimore Colts and the Indy Mayflowers actually.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Don't be goin' all Raymond Berry on me now.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know how much play we'll get on the weekend... but I said 32ish days, so here we are.

Today's team is the Los Angeles/San Diego Chargers.

I was gutted for the fans in San Diego. Sucks to lose your franchise.

Mt. Rushmore for me would be L.T., Junior Seau, Fouts & Rivers

Memorable games. The one Kev brought up a few days ago against Miami. Of course they had another classic playoff tilt years before that, but way before my time. Was certainly rooting for them in Super Bowl 29, but they were clearly on the wrong side of history for that one.

Uniforms... I'm an odd ball.... so for some reason the power blues aren't my favorite look... rather liked their look in the 90s.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah.... weekdays it is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I think I'd put Gates in there over Rivers.  Gates is one of the top 3 tight ends of his generation (along with Gronk and Gonzalez) and is a likely Hall of Famer right away, while Rivers will have a tough time making the Hall unless he wins a ring late in his career.