3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 186612 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Trades and FA Madness
« Reply #350 on: March 14, 2018, 06:27:30 PM »
 :lol

I wonder if the Redskins hurt Cousins progression.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #351 on: March 15, 2018, 06:54:37 AM »
Not sure how, but my JETS actually made smart football decisions. When is the other shoe gonna drop?  :lol :lol :lol

I love the Bridgewater signing. He and McCown will fight it out in training camp, and we'll draft one of the big 4, and let that guy ride the pine. My prediction? Teddy will win the job, have a great year, and revitalize his career.

I kinda think this is where Nick was going, but... I'm more apt to say about the Jets' "smart football decision", even a broken  clock is right twice a day.   I think we've seen too many times in the NFL that a moderately well thought out, well-executed system beats a moderately talented QB every day of the week.   Bridgewater is moderately talented.  I don't think he has the juice right now to singularly carry the Jets on his back.   Sorry.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #352 on: March 15, 2018, 05:26:20 PM »
Plus, at his best, Bridgewater was never anything more than a solid QB, and no one knows how his body will react when he plays again following that horrific injury he suffered.  I have to think the Jets will be drafting someone early as well.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #353 on: March 16, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
As a Vikings fan I have been a huge supporter of Bridgewater. That being said, if I was a Jets fan I'd be concerned. He hasn't played in two years. If I was Bridgewater I'd be concerned because the Jets just aren't very good. I realize he probably didn't want to be a back up behind Cousins but the Vikings are a much more stacked team than the Jets.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
Do we even know if Bridgewater can play yet? Normally I'd assume he had to pass a physical before the trade went through, but this is the Jet's, after all. I recall that he wasn't capable of playing at the end of last season.

He seems to me somebody that would be worth taking a flyer on, but only at a bargain price. His potential is very high, but the likelihood of him reaching it is not. Like Kev said, he was a solid quarterback before the explosion, but hadn't reached the next level yet. The reason the knee thing was so awful because there was a very good expectation that he was going to turn the corner and take it to the next level. I know I was certainly looking forward to seeing what he could do.

Looks like NYJ signed him to a one year deal worth 5mil and another 10mil in incentives. That's a pretty reasonable deal for them, but I'd like a few option years at the end of it. If he does pan out they'll immediately have to negotiate an expensive deal and they won't be able to trade him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #355 on: March 16, 2018, 03:15:16 PM »
He actually saw some mop-up duty for the Vikings in week 15, so he's good to go from a health standpoint. I'm pleased with the Jets offseason so far, assuming they also go out and get a QB in the draft. I think the Vikings probably saved us from wasting a bunch of money on Cousins, seeing as we're probably at least another year at best away from being competitive. I think McCown (who played pretty well for us last year and is by all accounts a fantastic locker room/QB room presence), Bridgewater (who showed some potential before his injury), and a highly regarded rookie is still a big upgrade over what we've had at QB (which is pretty sad). All the other contracts we handed out are pretty reasonable (with the exception maybe of Trumaine Johnson's deal) and nothing went to older/over the hill players. We could have a pretty good secondary this year with Johnson and Clairborne on the outside and the rookie tandem we drafted last year back at the safety spots.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2018, 09:17:22 AM »
Wow the Colts just traderaped the Jets. Now any team that wants who the Jets want have over a month to try to leapfrog them, and the Colts get all of those picks....

Offline dparrott

« Reply #357 on: March 17, 2018, 09:57:31 AM »
Seahawks Sign Linebacker Barkevious Mingo.  What an awesome name!  :lol
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #358 on: March 17, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
Wow the Colts just traderaped the Jets. Now any team that wants who the Jets want have over a month to try to leapfrog them, and the Colts get all of those picks....
Damn. They gave up a lot for those 3 spots. Whoever they're looking at better be worth it. And WTG Colts. They just landed 3 2nd rounders for a meaningless 3 spot drop.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2018, 06:36:09 AM »
Word is that the Giants did not want to trade out of the 2 spot.  My guess is they want Barkley and are waiting to see if the Browns take him 1st.  If the Browns take a QB, I think the Giants take Barkley.  If the Browns take Barkely, I suspect a team like the Bills will offer the Giants a truck load to trade up to 2 and the Giants will take the offer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: March 19, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »
Word is that the Giants did not want to trade out of the 2 spot.  My guess is they want Barkley and are waiting to see if the Browns take him 1st.  If the Browns take a QB, I think the Giants take Barkley.  If the Browns take Barkely, I suspect a team like the Bills will offer the Giants a truck load to trade up to 2 and the Giants will take the offer.

Yea, the Jets move made me feel like the Giants want Barkley and will likely get him.  Essentially if the Browns don't take a QB first, they will get the 3rd pick of the bunch which would really suck to think you'll get the 3rd best QB when you have the 1st and 4th picks.  Also, I would gladly take a similar trade like the Colts and just move back a bit and get more picks. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2018, 10:40:17 AM »

My thought as well. I see the Browns going QB again, although not at #1. I think they go Chubb or Barkley (betting on the latter), and then get a QB with the fourth pick.

I am really hoping the Jets make a great pick. I like all the moves made so far this offseason, including the trade. But if this doesn't result in the Jets getting a franchise QB, it is going to be a total failure. They've swung and missed already with Hackenberg. Can't do it again.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »
Seahawks Sign Linebacker Barkevious Mingo.  What an awesome name!  :lol

The name alone is worth a salary bump.  He has a brother named Hughtavious.

One of the Key & Peele guys was on Dan Patrick's show a week or two ago and explained the origin story of their ridiculous college football names routine.  One of them, who was not really a football fan but enjoyed playing the Madden games, approached the other, saying, "hey, did you know there's a guy in the NFL named "D'Brickashaw Ferguson?!"  The other guy said, "you don't even know the half of it," and the sketch was born.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #363 on: March 21, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
Thank God the NFL has simplified the rules for what is or is not a catch.  :lol 

1: Control
2: Two feet down or another body part
3: A football move, such as"
    A: A 3rd step
    B: Reaching/extending for the line to gain
    C: or the ability to perform such an act

So, uh, what is control? What is a football move?  What is the ability to make such a move? Blandino is a dick, but he's right in his assessment. They've changed the language but kept all the ambiguity in place, or replaced it with different ambiguities.

I feel sorry for the staff at the Hyatt who had to clean up the conference room after what appears to be a monumental circle jerk.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #364 on: March 21, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »

So, uh, what is control? What is a football move?  What is the ability to make such a move? Blandino is a dick, but he's right in his assessment. They've changed the language but kept all the ambiguity in place, or replaced it with different ambiguities.

I feel sorry for the staff at the Hyatt who had to clean up the conference room after what appears to be a monumental circle jerk.

Under those rules Jesse James play against the Pats would have been a legal catch. That's probably where the largest part of their focus was since that was the most recent "big play" that was effected by the old standard.

We'll have to wait and see how it plays out, but it still leaves a lot to interpretation, seemingly.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: March 21, 2018, 05:47:45 PM »
I foresee the same issues going forward.  Get rid of us fans seeing HD instant replay and only then will everything will be ok.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #366 on: March 21, 2018, 06:26:54 PM »

Under those rules Jesse James play against the Pats would have been a legal catch. That's probably where the largest part of their focus was since that was the most recent "big play" that was effected by the old standard.

We'll have to wait and see how it plays out, but it still leaves a lot to interpretation, seemingly.
That's exactly what their motivation was. They watched a bunch of non-catches and discussed which ones "should" have counted. Then they crafted a way to phrase things so that they could be justified. So yeah, we could probably just call this the Patriot Rule. The problem is that when you go about trying to craft rules in that manner you make things even more flaky.

What I can't wait for is when an obvious incompletion gets ruled a catch and a fumble recovered by New England because of the new interpretation.  :lol

And speaking of making shit up as you go, seems that Goodell is looking to fine the bejeezus out of Jerry Jones for trying to disrupt his contract negotiation. The same Jerry Jones that was just inducted into the HOF for his contributions to the league as an owner. Sounds about right.
E.F. Benson

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #367 on: March 21, 2018, 07:52:02 PM »
Hi all!
I haven't been on the board in ages, found my way back over tonight and figured the NFL thread was the best place to jump back in  ;D

I meant to log in back in Feb so that I could revel in the fact that my beloved Iggles are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS.  I still can't even believe it. 
I am also happy to report that the city did not burn to the ground (sorry, Barto...I saw you were hoping for that  :lol) and for the most part people were pretty well-behaved for the parade (and it was one for the ages...even if we are lucky enough to have another one, it will never be as magical is this one was!)

I have never seen as cohesive a team as the Eagles were this season.  I believe the foundation is there and this could be the start of something beautiful.  But, as an Eagles fan there is always that doubt/fear that I might have to wait another 58 years to see it, and I don't plan on being alive 58 years from now.  It is not lost on me that this could have been a special lightning bolt caught in a bottle, and I intend to hold onto this feeling for the rest of my life.  And if it's the only one I ever have, I will die happy. 

I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #368 on: March 21, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »
Hi all!
I haven't been on the board in ages, found my way back over tonight and figured the NFL thread was the best place to jump back in  ;D

I meant to log in back in Feb so that I could revel in the fact that my beloved Iggles are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS.  I still can't even believe it. 
I am also happy to report that the city did not burn to the ground (sorry, Barto...I saw you were hoping for that  :lol) and for the most part people were pretty well-behaved for the parade (and it was one for the ages...even if we are lucky enough to have another one, it will never be as magical is this one was!)

I have never seen as cohesive a team as the Eagles were this season.  I believe the foundation is there and this could be the start of something beautiful.  But, as an Eagles fan there is always that doubt/fear that I might have to wait another 58 years to see it, and I don't plan on being alive 58 years from now.  It is not lost on me that this could have been a special lightning bolt caught in a bottle, and I intend to hold onto this feeling for the rest of my life.  And if it's the only one I ever have, I will die happy.

Waddup, Kath??!!

Glad you got to enjoy the euphoria of a Super Bowl win. :coolio :hat

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #369 on: March 21, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »
Hi all!

I didn't even get through "I haven't been" before I was composing a rage-post in my head. I only got as far as "Fuck your Eagles" before I decided you were a cool enough gal to leave it alone. I'll just say I'm glad you're happy and I hope you're around when they when their next one. I'm sure the parade will be just as enjoyable. You'll be in your late nineties, I reckon, but by then holograms will be able to drop you right into the middle of it from the comfort of your rocking chair.
E.F. Benson

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #370 on: March 21, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
This feeling was unlike anything I'd ever felt, although the Phillies winning the World Series in 2008 was pretty close. 
It is not lost on me that I may never experience this again.  And if I don't, that's ok.  I can still die happy.

The elation is now bittersweet for me though.  My dad came up for the parade from SC with my younger sister.  He was so excited for it.  We had a great time at the parade, in the city before dawn and standing in the below-freezing temp all day, screaming ourselves hoarse as the parade procession rolled by us and doing Irish car bombs at the bar afterward.  5 days later my dad died from a heart attack.  He was born in 1960 (the year the Eagles last won a championship) and literally waited an entire lifetime to see an Eagles super bowl win.  I can never really put into words how much this all means to me now.  How grateful I am to have had the experience just once in my life at all, but so glad I got to share it with my dad.  :heart
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #371 on: March 21, 2018, 08:51:14 PM »
Damn Neon, sorry to hear about your dad.   :'(

It is nice to see you hear again though... Stick around, we need less sausage.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »
Damn Neon, sorry to hear about your dad.   :'(

It is nice to see you hear again though... Stick around, we need less sausage.

My board usage has dropped because I'm usually not on my regular computer.  I usually just use my phone for all my internet needs but it's too hard to read the boards with it.
Worked from home today with the snow so I've been on my regular laptop all day.  Thought I'd mosey on over and see how everyone's doing.  I've missed posting with everyone, I should come around more often  :lol
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2018, 09:35:47 PM »
This feeling was unlike anything I'd ever felt, although the Phillies winning the World Series in 2008 was pretty close. 
It is not lost on me that I may never experience this again.  And if I don't, that's ok.  I can still die happy.

The elation is now bittersweet for me though.  My dad came up for the parade from SC with my younger sister.  He was so excited for it.  We had a great time at the parade, in the city before dawn and standing in the below-freezing temp all day, screaming ourselves hoarse as the parade procession rolled by us and doing Irish car bombs at the bar afterward.  5 days later my dad died from a heart attack.  He was born in 1960 (the year the Eagles last won a championship) and literally waited an entire lifetime to see an Eagles super bowl win.  I can never really put into words how much this all means to me now.  How grateful I am to have had the experience just once in my life at all, but so glad I got to share it with my dad.  :heart
Sorry to hear about your pop. That's a real drag. Glad y'all got to get together and have a good time.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #374 on: March 21, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »

Don't know you from a row of assholes, but you're a Philly girl who likes car bombs, so you can't be all bad.   I was in Avalon String Band (which is the where Kelce got the suit he wore at the parade), so while I'm not an Eagles fan (they're literally the one thing I DON'T like about the city) I get it.

Sorry for your dad.  I'm glad you got that time with him. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: March 22, 2018, 09:10:32 AM »
So sad to hear about your Dad. But I'm glad he got to see the SB season and enjoy it with his family.

I feel like such a phony becoming an Eagles fan in September. A lot of my friends and family are from Eastern PA and my wife and in-laws are die hard Philly sports fans. Some have called me a good luck charm. Other look at me like... dude we've been waiting our whole lives and you had to wait a few months.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear that Neon.  I'm glad that you got to share the parade with him.  Cherish that moment.  it's those moments that always pop into my head with my mom.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: March 22, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22869522/new-york-giants-trading-jason-pierre-paul-fourth-round-pick-tampa-bay-buccaneers

Really loved him here, even with his blown off fingers.  But this is a good deal.  His value is declining and the Giants save some money and get more picks for the future.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #379 on: March 22, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »

Don't know you from a row of assholes, but you're a Philly girl who likes car bombs, so you can't be all bad.   I was in Avalon String Band (which is the where Kelce got the suit he wore at the parade), so while I'm not an Eagles fan (they're literally the one thing I DON'T like about the city) I get it.

Sorry for your dad.  I'm glad you got that time with him.

That's so awesome dude.  When the parade rolled by us I was laughing because I saw Jason Kelce dressed as a Mummer and he was living it up and it was hilarious.  And the day after the parade I had actually posted something along the lines of, "I dare you to find me anything more 'Philly' than Jason Kelce giving that epic profanity-laced speech during the Eagles parade ceremony from the steps of the art museum dressed as a goddamn Mummer...."   :lol  It's funny, I remember when the Phillies won the World Series in 2008 and Chase Utley gave his "World Fucking Champions!" speech.  And as the ceremony for the Eagles parade was going on I remember thinking, "We need another Chase Utley style speech"...and then Kelce took the mic and the rest will live on as absolute Philly lore, legend and infamy forever.

Do you still live in the Philly area?  I'm actually in South Jersey but I'm so close to the city it's easier to just say "I'm from Philly."
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #380 on: March 22, 2018, 09:16:54 PM »
So sad to hear about your Dad. But I'm glad he got to see the SB season and enjoy it with his family.

I feel like such a phony becoming an Eagles fan in September. A lot of my friends and family are from Eastern PA and my wife and in-laws are die hard Philly sports fans. Some have called me a good luck charm. Other look at me like... dude we've been waiting our whole lives and you had to wait a few months.

Well...as someone who experienced decades of frustration and heartache and bitching and pissing and moaning about the Eagles, I want to be all like, "Screw you man...where the hell have you been all these years."  But whatever, everyone's gotta start somewhere.  And if your in-laws gave you a pass, you're good  :lol  Thanks for being the good-luck charm.  We could have used you a long time ago.  Welcome aboard.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #381 on: March 23, 2018, 05:14:23 AM »

Well...as someone who experienced decades of frustration and heartache and bitching and pissing and moaning about the Eagles, I want to be all like, "Screw you man...where the hell have you been all these years."  But whatever, everyone's gotta start somewhere.  And if your in-laws gave you a pass, you're good  :lol  Thanks for being the good-luck charm.  We could have used you a long time ago.  Welcome aboard.

The thanks should go to Kaepernick.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #382 on: March 23, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
Jets signed Terrelle Pryor. I like the move. That guy gets a bad rap. He's a real good receiver, and I think he'll do well.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #383 on: March 23, 2018, 12:49:46 PM »
Jets signed Terrelle Pryor. I like the move. That guy gets a bad rap. He's a real good receiver, and I think he'll do well.

Curious to see the financials on that deal.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #384 on: March 23, 2018, 01:29:17 PM »
The jury is still out on if Pryor is a good NFL WR.  He put up good numbers on a Browns team in 2016 that was always losing (see: garbage yards), but was utter dog crap last year on a WR-friendly Redskins team.  It will be interesting to see if he can bounce back after being so awful in 2017.