3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 187352 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Week 1
« Reply #1330 on: September 11, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »
My first thoughts on the matter are that this MNF crew really sucks hard. Witten's the least obnoxious of them, but he doesn't say much.

I have no idea who the play by play guy is, but he talked about Gruden like he is the Second Coming.  It was nauseating.
And hasn't the "Chuckie" thing been done to death by now?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Hey Darnold!
« Reply #1331 on: September 11, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »
Week 2 ESPN Power Rankings

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24637128/nfl-power-rankings-faces-new-places-watch-all-32-teams-2018-week-2

1. Philadelphia
2. New England
3. Minnesota
4. L.A. Rams
5. Jacksonville

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1332 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »
Looks like the crew on the Jets game was Beth Mowins, Brian Griese and Laura Rutledge.  On the Rams > faders game, it was Joe Tessitore, Jason Witten, "Booger" McFarland and Lisa Salters.

I didn't get to listen to any of the Jets game and only saw a little toward the end as a result of picking my daughter up from marching band practice and going out for dinner.  I only heard a little of the Rams games, but McFarland was annoying as heck, and Witten seemed to encourage his annoyingness.  I've heard Tessitore before, and he's usually fine.

Anyway, an Oakland loss on top of a Broncos win makes for a great weekend, and I went 10-5-1 in my picks and won my fantasy game.  Bring on week 2!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: September 11, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
Not to be TAC, but from that list I've only ever heard of Brian Greise and Jason Witten.

Is there a reason anyone over the age of 8 goes by the name "Booger?" Does he pal around with Wormser and Poindexter?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1334 on: September 11, 2018, 11:49:38 AM »
Not to be TAC,

and the problem with that? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1335 on: September 11, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »
Not to be TAC, but from that list I've only ever heard of Brian Greise and Jason Witten.

Is there a reason anyone over the age of 8 goes by the name "Booger?" Does he pal around with Wormser and Poindexter?

McFarland is a former DT (on the Bucs and Colts Super Bowl winning teams).  I vaguely recall the name but can't explain the continued use of that nickname into adulthood.  Rutledge is 5-star sideline eye candy; Salters maybe 3.5-stars.  I only vaguely know Tessitore by name and had never heard of Mowins before yesterday.  MNF is a far cry from the glory days of Gifford, Cossel and Meredith.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: September 11, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »
Seems like a far cry from the not-so-glory days of Dan Fouts and Dennis Miller.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1337 on: September 11, 2018, 12:44:45 PM »
I was thinking that last night, how MNF used to be special. Now, Sunday Night is THE prime time nfl game and Monday night is an afterthought.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1338 on: September 11, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »

I still remember Miller's first game. It was the preseason HOF game and he says something like.."I've been in Canton for a couple of days, but haven't found any Cantonese restaurants yet" or something like that.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1339 on: September 11, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »
I was thinking that last night, how MNF used to be special. Now, Sunday Night is THE prime time nfl game and Monday night is an afterthought.

Over saturation.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1340 on: September 11, 2018, 01:04:46 PM »
I will be basking in the honeymoon period with Darnold this week. Back to reality (I hope not) in week 2.

J E T S JETS JETS JETS
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: September 11, 2018, 01:08:20 PM »
All due respect, but I thought that was established as a given for the past 5+ years.

I am almost old enough to remember when MNF was a big thing. But for me it was more because of my dad being a fan, and that being a night we always had ribs for dinner and were allowed to eat in the family room in front of the TV. Also for us it was tape-delayed one hour. Not a big deal back then, we treated it as if it was live as we didn't have constant Twitter/Facegram updates.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1342 on: September 11, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »

Over saturation.

That’s part of it, but it’s clear that the NFL gives the better games to Sunday night most of the time.

Plus, ESPN sucks so bad now that many didn’t know any of the announcers from last night’s games.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1343 on: September 11, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
This.

And Beth Mowens called a game last year. I believe I made a joke about having a gay jockey call an NFL game.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1344 on: September 12, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
Word is that veterans on the Lions already hate Patricia. :lol :lol 

On another note, I think it is boring to see the same teams win every year, so hopefully the young QBs they all got help make the Jets, Bears, 49ers and even Browns relevant again. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: September 12, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
..hopefully the young QBs they all got help make the Jets, Bears, 49ers and even Browns relevant again

You got a long memory my friend if you can recall when the Browns were last relevant.  :)

Sometimes I like dynasties and the same teams win because I like watching excellence. Other times I do not and wish for more parity. Just depends on the sport and my mood I guess,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: September 12, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »

On another note, I think it is boring to see the same teams win every year, so hopefully the young QBs they all got help make the Jets, Bears, 49ers and even Browns relevant again.

The laughing should be at the veterans on the team crying.  That team has underperformed forever.  Their culture sucks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1347 on: September 12, 2018, 06:55:58 PM »
Yeah, not to stick up for the NE guy, but they sound like a team of whiners.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1348 on: September 12, 2018, 06:56:09 PM »

The laughing should be at the veterans on the team crying.  That team has underperformed forever.  Their culture sucks.

36-28 over the last four seasons with Caldwell.  Let's see if Patricia can average 9 wins a season over four years with this franchise.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1349 on: September 12, 2018, 06:58:04 PM »
So, let's live at 9-7...

Is that what you're saying. Maybe the team needs to go 5-11 before it actually takes the next step.

They'll be lucky to go 5-11. They blow. And Patricia is way over his head.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1350 on: September 12, 2018, 06:59:18 PM »
So, let's live at 9-7...

Is that what you're saying. Maybe the team needs to go 5-11 before it actually takes the next step.

I get it. Sometimes you have to take a step back before taking two steps forward.  We'll see if the Lions pull that off.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1351 on: September 12, 2018, 07:01:03 PM »

They'll be lucky to go 5-11. They blow. And Patricia is way over his head.

It's just one game, but that was an embarrassing start.  And let's face it, the Belichick coaching tree has not had a lot of success as far as coordinators becoming head coaches go. Mangini did pretty good for a while, and he was the best one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: September 12, 2018, 07:09:49 PM »
I could care less if it's an ex Pats coach or somebody else.   That average record with the talent they have underperformed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1353 on: September 12, 2018, 08:27:17 PM »
Which is  why the Pats are so effective; they are not a typical organization. Belichick doesn't hire a bunch of head coaches as his staff.  He hires the best OFFESIVE COORDINATOR, or DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR, or whatever.  HE is the leader, not Patricia or McDaniels.   Good second-in-commands are not always the best first-in-commands (it's not a coincidence that none of Jack Welch's seconds were even considered for his job when he left, and those that left to go elsewhere didn't excel). 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1354 on: September 12, 2018, 11:45:53 PM »
..hopefully the young QBs they all got help make the Jets, Bears, 49ers and even Browns relevant again

You got a long memory my friend if you can recall when the Browns were last relevant.  :)

I remember it quite well. Probably because (A) I'm a lifelong Ohioan, (B) My favorite team is in the same division and (C) I'm getting fucking old...  :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1355 on: September 13, 2018, 08:46:46 AM »

That's exactly what I'm talking about, among other things such as shitty rules, bad officiating and horrible coaching.  Is this all a multi billion business can produce?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: September 13, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »
OK guys...all kidding aside, THIS fellow Fogey wins Week 1!!!!!

https://loudwire.com/guy-air-drum-rush-nfl-game-rush-love-it/

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: September 13, 2018, 08:44:31 PM »
Posted him in the Rush thread too!  :)

Holy crap, did the Ravens line up Bowser to blitz Dalton? Did Koopa Troopas drop back in to coverage??

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1358 on: September 14, 2018, 06:28:33 AM »
Last night was another good example of a head coach who totally botched the end of the game.

Down 11 with under a minute, your best chance of tying the game is to kick the FG as soon as you get in FG range, kick an onside kick, recover it, and then get a touchdown and 2-point conversion.  The Ravens got to around the 30 with 30 seconds left and the clock stopped.  FG, right?  Nope, let's have Flacco continue to throw checkdowns in the middle of the field when you have no timeouts and the clock runs out. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Nice work, John Harbaugh.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: September 14, 2018, 06:48:01 AM »
And he's supposed to be one of the better Head Coaches!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: September 14, 2018, 07:07:40 AM »
He didn't do anything wrong. Scoring 2 TDs is easier than kicking a field goal, scoring a TD and scoring a 2 point conversion and winning in OT. The problem is on the OC/Flacco.... for not throwing the ball into the endzone. Might get a catch.... might get PI.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1361 on: September 16, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »
HOW WAS THAT PITTSBURGH TD CONFIRMED AFTER REVIEW???????

That was so blatantly across the line of scrimmage!!!  If I was Andy Reid, I'd be having an aneurysm right now!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1362 on: September 16, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »
HOW WAS THAT PITTSBURGH TD CONFIRMED AFTER REVIEW???????

That was so blatantly across the line of scrimmage!!!  If I was Andy Reid, I'd be having an aneurysm right now!!

No, actually your entire body has to be across and it depends on where the ball is when released.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1363 on: September 16, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »
I love how last week everyone was lol Steelers tying the Browns. They scored 21 on the road in horrible weather. Well today Cle has held Brees to 10 points into the 4th qtr in HIS house (dome). Browns D is legit.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:46:19 PM by Dream Team »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: September 16, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
What a wildly entertaining slate of games. And yes....Cousins makes the Vikings legit SB contenders. Those throws to tie the game up...Godly