3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185189 times)

Online Dream Team

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Week 1
« Reply #1295 on: September 10, 2018, 06:07:57 AM »
Rodgers can do things no other QB can do. Amazing. But remember, all these amazing comebacks that we give QBs credit for, their D still has to hold the other team down. Still a team effort.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1296 on: September 10, 2018, 06:25:08 AM »
Romo was never an MVP, but I think he was better than Ryan is.  For most his career, Matt Ryan has been a slightly better Andy Dalton.

Difference is, I think there's still a chance that Ryan wins a Super Bowl.  I called it about halfway through Romo's career that he was never winning a Super Bowl, no matter how many elite players they put around him.   Granted, you could fairly say that he didn't have a great coach (he didn't) but still.    Romo was a better ATHLETE than he was QUARTERBACK.    Ryan is a better QUARTERBACK than he is an ATHLETE.   QUARTERBACKS win Super Bowls, ATHLETES do not.  My opinion only, I'm sure someone will argue with that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1297 on: September 10, 2018, 06:28:43 AM »
Romo was never an MVP, but I think he was better than Ryan is.  For most his career, Matt Ryan has been a slightly better Andy Dalton.

Difference is, I think there's still a chance that Ryan wins a Super Bowl.  I called it about halfway through Romo's career that he was never winning a Super Bowl, no matter how many elite players they put around him.   Granted, you could fairly say that he didn't have a great coach (he didn't) but still.    Romo was a better ATHLETE than he was QUARTERBACK.    Ryan is a better QUARTERBACK than he is an ATHLETE.   QUARTERBACKS win Super Bowls, ATHLETES do not.  My opinion only, I'm sure someone will argue with that.

Does that mean I can say that Andy Dalton is better than Dan Marino because there is still a chance Dalton wins a Super Bowl? :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: September 10, 2018, 06:38:43 AM »

Does that mean I can say that Andy Dalton is better than Dan Marino because there is still a chance Dalton wins a Super Bowl? :P

Sure.  You'd be wrong, of course, because "still playing" doesn't mean "chance to win a Super Bowl" (the Bengals aren't getting anywhere near a Super Bowl without Stub Hub being involved) but you can say anything you want. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: September 10, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
Seems a lot of radio callers were happy with the Giants putting up a good game against the Jags.  I disagree.  What I saw was a whole lot of what I saw last year, a terrible oline that just ruins the entire offense.  Barkley won't be able to save the offense running behind Eric Flowers who may be the worst professional sports player who continues to play that I can think of.  I will say, if the Jags still do have a great defense, then maybe there is some hope for the Giants.  But dropping that punt felt like a kick to the balls that we got every game last year and is already making me feel like this season isn't going to end well.  The good news though, just one week and the Giants started 0-2 before they won the Super Bowl.  It's early and the new coaching staff can make an impact after the first game.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1300 on: September 10, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
I know the Niners lost yesterday, and there were some issues, but save for a fumble on the 1 yard line after a great drive and that game could have ended very differently.

Even with the loss I still feel pretty good in saying:

lol Steelers

and...

LOL Bears
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1301 on: September 10, 2018, 09:36:21 AM »
I know the Niners lost yesterday, and there were some issues, but save for a fumble on the 1 yard line after a great drive and that game could have ended very differently.

They are a new team, and there WILL be some growing pains.  But, yeah, they were absolutely in that game against a very good team, so that is a good sign.  They lost because they made mistakes, and they were the kind of mistakes that are probably teachable, so I am optimistic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: September 10, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
Nothing to be ashamed of. That was a great effort against a championship contending team.  SF will improve for sure.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: September 10, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
I will also say that monumental collapse aside.... the Bears look like a team that had a tremendous offseason and is getting it together. I don't know if that equates to a playoff appearance in the absolutely loaded NFC... but they will not be a bad team this season.

Online pg1067

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Opening Night!
« Reply #1304 on: September 10, 2018, 11:33:38 AM »
Picks for this week:

Falcons @ Eagles (yes, I know they already lost, but I had picked the Falcons, so...)
Steelers @ Browns
Bengals @ Colts
Titans @ Dolphins
49ers @ Vikings
Texans @ Patriots
Buccaneers @ Saints
Jaguars @ Giants
Bills @ Ravens
Chiefs @ Chargers
Seahawks @ Broncos
Redskins @ Cardinals
Cowboys @ Panthers
Bears @ Packers
Jets @ Lions
Rams @ Raiders

Not exactly a strong start for you.

Looks like we won't see Le'Veon Bell till week 10 so he can play the minimum amount of games to make this season count and then become a free agent next season.  I can't say I blame him.

I picked James Conner for my fantasy team....and then proceeded to leave him on the bench for week 1....

Happy to see my Broncos start the season with a win (although I didn't get to see any of the game because, for some inexplicable reason, Fox thought Los Angeles would rather see Dallas v. Carolina).

Saw some really stupid roughing the passer penalties yesterday.  At this point, we may as well just give the quarterback a red jersey and flags.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1305 on: September 10, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »
Not exactly a strong start for you.

:lol  Nope.  Some aren't a surprise, since I went in picking underdogs.  Some I was just flat-out wrong.  Some are head-scratchers.  In other words, typical week in the NFL. 

The Chiefs are still the biggest head-scratchers for me.  I don't see what others are seeing in them.  But they went in favored and came away with the win, so I am apparently just not getting it when it comes to that team.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1306 on: September 10, 2018, 11:51:27 AM »
Currently enjoying my last few hours of optimism on the JETS season. Right now, I feel excited for the Sam Darnold era to begin, and think we're underrated. This is my favorite time of the football season.

In a few hours, reality will hit, and I'll be asking for basketball, and for the Yankees to pull off a miracle (not gonna happen).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: September 10, 2018, 01:20:26 PM »
Currently enjoying my last few hours of optimism on the JETS season. Right now, I feel excited for the Sam Darnold era to begin, and think we're underrated. This is my favorite time of the football season.

In a few hours, reality will hit, and I'll be asking for basketball, and for the Yankees to pull off a miracle (not gonna happen).
  I'm with you, and I'm apprehensive for my game tonight too.  For me this is a new (at least the last 15 years) sensation.  My Rams are now the hunted and expected to reach great heights.  So if they don't show well tonight it will be very depressing.  Where in past years it was the norm and expected.  :lol

I think Darnold is gonna be the solution for the Jets.  Might be some rookie growing pains (see Goff 2016) but I think you guys got your QB.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1308 on: September 10, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »

Yeah, that all sounds about right. I'll be on the couch in my Chrebet jersey with a beer in hand.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1309 on: September 10, 2018, 02:16:29 PM »
Nice game by the Vikings yesterday. Would have liked to see the offense do a little better, especially on some of the longer throws, but they're still getting to know each other. The defense did well overall, but I'd like to see them contain on first down a little better. Overall a nice win against a good 49ers team who didn't give up despite several turnovers.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1310 on: September 10, 2018, 04:20:50 PM »
Looks like another snooze fest season in the making.  The NFL is boring as fuck.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1311 on: September 10, 2018, 05:14:08 PM »

Yeah, that all sounds about right. I'll be on the couch in my Chrebet jersey with a beer in hand.

Thank God for beer :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: September 10, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »
Looks like another snooze fest season in the making.  The NFL is boring as fuck.
Da Fuq?

Welp...it can only get easier for Darnold now right??

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1313 on: September 10, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »

Thank God for beer :lol :lol

I hope the cooler is next to you. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1314 on: September 10, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »
Aside from that first play, the Jets have looked really good.

I didn't know what to expect from the Broncos, so getting that win against Seattle was nice.  The infusion of new blood on offense should make a big difference.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: September 10, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
Who are these announcers?!?   One sounds like Howie Long, but Howie isn't that inept, and the woman sounds like she's on her third school and 25th cigarette.  She makes Janis Joplin sound like a girly-girl. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1316 on: September 10, 2018, 06:50:50 PM »
The volume up and downs on her voice is making me seasick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1317 on: September 10, 2018, 06:52:26 PM »
The volume up and downs on her voice is making me seasick.

Turn on some classic Genesis. That will cheer you right up. :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1318 on: September 10, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
Haha. Old Peter Gabriel could only dream of sounding so masculine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: September 10, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »

AH HA!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1320 on: September 10, 2018, 07:23:38 PM »
:lol

I really can't stand this woman's voice. It's a real shame, too. I've got no problem with female announcers, but she tries way too hard to sound like one of the guys. It's distracting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: September 10, 2018, 07:25:15 PM »
She's a Brooklyn accent away from Suzyn Waldman.  God she drives me insane.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1322 on: September 10, 2018, 07:27:00 PM »
It's brutal. I mean, it's dead silence for 20 seconds, and then holyshittheworldisending.

It's as if Sam Kinison's sister is calling the game.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1323 on: September 10, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »
WTF??

Matt Stafford has completed more passes to the Jets than Sam Darnold.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1324 on: September 10, 2018, 09:00:53 PM »
Jets looked great.

In the last 2 games that matter, Matt Patricia’s D has allowed 89 points.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
Jets looked great.

His D also won 2 Superbowls.

3 year arch for coaches.   At least in my eyes.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: September 10, 2018, 09:04:30 PM »
Jets looked great.

His D also won 2 Superbowls.

3 year arch for coaches.   At least in my eyes.

Agreed.... Is this now Bowles 3rd year in NY?

I completely missed the game so seeing that score surprised the hell out of me. Happy for Jets fans. Darnold is legit. Still has a way to go.....but sky's the limit.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1327 on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:37 PM »
My first thoughts on the matter are that this MNF crew really sucks hard. Witten's the least obnoxious of them, but he doesn't say much. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: 2018 NFL Thread
« Reply #1328 on: September 11, 2018, 02:42:29 AM »
I went 7-9 this week, which is not bad considering a lot of them were basically wild guesses.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1329 on: September 11, 2018, 05:56:23 AM »
My first thoughts on the matter are that this MNF crew really sucks hard. Witten's the least obnoxious of them, but he doesn't say much.

I have no idea who the play by play guy is, but he talked about Gruden like he is the Second Coming.  It was nauseating.