Author Topic: STRYPER: Michael Sweet said he is 95% suspicious of having cancer.  (Read 23640 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
STRYPER has set "God Damn Evil" as the title of its new album, due on April 20 via Frontiers Music Srl. The disc was recorded at SpiritHouse Recording Studios in Northampton, Massachusetts. The follow-up to 2015's "Fallen" marks STRYPER's first effort since the addition of former FIREHOUSE bassist Perry Richardson. Perry joined the band as the replacement for STRYPER's longtime bassist Tim Gaines, who was fired from the group last year.

"God Damn Evil" track listing:

01. Take It To The Cross
02. Sorry
03. Lost
04. God Damn Evil
05. You Don't Even Know Me
06. The Valley
07. Sea Of Thieves
08. Beautiful
09. Can't Live Without Your Love
10. Own Up
11. The Devil Doesn't Live Here

STRYPER guitarist/vocalist Michael Sweet stated about "God Damn Evil": "I can tell you this: if you kind of take the best of a handful of STRYPER albums and you kind of roll it up into a big, old fat burrito, that's what you're gonna get with this album. On a couple of songs, you're gonna hear qualities of 'Against The Law', you're gonna hear qualities of 'Fallen', you're gonna hear qualities of 'No More Hell To Pay' — and even 'To Hell With The Devil' and 'Soldiers [Under Command]'. You're gonna get the best of all those worlds in one world.

"We have already said this in private, I don't know if we've said it publicly, and people always kind of sneer when they hear bands say this, and I say it for every album —whatever — I really believe it for every album, 'cause I'm one of those guys that strives to improve and get better. But this is STRYPER's best album. And when it comes out and people hear it, in terms of the songs, the performances, the quality, the audio, the sonic quality, the flow, the feel, the energy, people, I think, will agree — most people. There are always those people that live in denial and just say, 'There's nothing as good as 'To Hell With The Devil',' and that's because they're kind of stuck in the '80s. And that's fine — it's totally fine. I love the '80s too. I'm stuck in the '80s in some ways as well, and that's great — there's some great music that came from the '80s. But, at the same time, I really believe, and I think a lot of our fans — I'll go as far as to say maybe even most of our fans believe that we're doing some of the best music and making some of the best albums that we ever have in our career."

Sweet recently told ListenIowa that both the title and the lyrics of the title track of STRYPER's new album would be "shocking" to STRYPER fans — "moreso than with 'To Hell With The Devil'. When people hear it, they're going to go, 'What? Can you tell me that again?'" he said.

Perry did not play bass on STRYPER's new album due to scheduling contraints. The bass tracks on "God Damn Evil" were laid down by John O'Boyle, who played bass on Sweet's last two solo albums.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 12:14:06 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: STRYPER to release GOD DAMN EVIL April 20th, 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 04:55:47 PM »
Michael is a fantastic singer.  He might be an even better guitar player.  And he's a pretty good songwriter.  And I have to say that there are things about their last three albums that surpass even some of the best things they did in the '80s.  But...sometimes I wish Michael just wouldn't talk.  :lolpalm:

That said, of course I'll be buying this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »
Michael is a fantastic singer.  He might be an even better guitar player.  And he's a pretty good songwriter.  And I have to say that there are things about their last three albums that surpass even some of the best things they did in the '80s.  But...sometimes I wish Michael just wouldn't talk.  :lolpalm:

That said, of course I'll be buying this.

Sometimes he is very upfront when saying things. I am looking for a chance to interview him, and I have a couple of questions regarding that matter. Let’s see if I can get that chance.
For me the last two albums are way better than anything they did previously, I am confident they will deliver once again with GDE

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:20:20 PM »
Sometimes he is very upfront when saying things.

Oh, no doubt.  I have no issue with that.  The problem is that he is often also very clueless when saying things.  :lol  But, hey, I don't buy Stryper albums for Michael's off-script any more than I watch Home Alone 2 to see Donald Trump.  The music is generally very good, and the lyrical themes are excellent (even if the execution of those themes in the lyrics themselves sometimes misses the mark), and that's more than good enough for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 05:42:35 PM »
Sometimes he is very upfront when saying things.

Oh, no doubt.  I have no issue with that.  The problem is that he is often also very clueless when saying things.  :lol  But, hey, I don't buy Stryper albums for Michael's off-script any more than I watch Home Alone 2 to see Donald Trump.  The music is generally very good, and the lyrical themes are excellent (even if the execution of those themes in the lyrics themselves sometimes misses the mark), and that's more than good enough for me.

I don’t have a problem with it either just that I see that some people do have a problem with that.
I am really looking forward for this release

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »
I personally was turned off of Stryper and anything Michael Sweet-related due to certain comments he stated, which I won't get into this thread, but in any case, I liked the last two Stryper albums so I'm sure this one will not disappoint.  Plus, that album cover.  God looks very vengeful in this one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:07:24 AM »
I've become a fan of the band from the last two albums, mainly No More Hell to Pay so I'm looking  forward to this.  I don't really give a shit what Michael has to say either or his opinions, as long as this is as good as the last two, he's cool in my book.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 07:17:42 AM »
The artwork, while being similar to the last 2 it’s really good. I love it, and the titlw thougjt provoking, at least for the Christian fans. There are many in FB saying they won’t purchase the album

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:41:37 AM »
The last two Stryper albums are my favorite from them, so I think this one will be at least as good :metal

About the press release in the OP, I thought Perry DID play bass on the album. I got that impression from Michael’s tweets and updates. Anyone know more about that?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 08:30:02 AM »
I personally was turned off of Stryper and anything Michael Sweet-related due to certain comments he stated, which I won't get into this thread...

Curious what the comments were.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
I'm guess it has to do with the fact that he's pro-Trump.

I'll probably pick this up. Stryper is a band that I fit into my hit or miss catelogue. Meaning I typically love 3-4 songs per album while the rest doesn't do much for me.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »
From MS personal FB:

New song coming this Friday! Are you ready? 35 years strong👊 #stryper #heavymetal #God

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 02:12:28 PM »
I personally was turned off of Stryper and anything Michael Sweet-related due to certain comments he stated, which I won't get into this thread...

Curious what the comments were.

Guessing about how he said the NFL players should shut up and do their job as they get paid good money.  That was in relation to them not standing for the anthem or something.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »
I rather not go into details about comments from Michael Sweet that I dislike so let's just leave it at that and get excited about a new Stryper album.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:55:02 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »
OK.  But you'll just have to forgive me then if I speculate that it must have been something that was very anti-dog.  Or anti-lobster.  Or both.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
OK.  But you'll just have to forgive me then if I speculate that it must have been something that was very anti-dog.  Or anti-lobster.  Or both.

:lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »
First song released, and it's heavy  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWvdLnP8m3I&feature=youtu.be

Just gave it my first listen and still can't get used to that chorus, but the rest is very cool.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »
You beat me to it.

I like it, I like it a lot, even the chorus!

Here’s some info Michael gave about the song plus pre order links etc:

Below is your first look into the upcoming album with tonight's release of our epic lyric video for the song, Take It To The Cross!   
Take It To The Cross’ is our answer to many fans asking us to do something a little heavier and even bordering on thrash,” says Michael. “The verses are heavy with a vocal and lyric delivery that's bold and relevant yet the chorus kicks in with a fast, thrashy vibe. We brought in Matt Blanchard (Act Of Defiance / Shadows Fall) to handle the vocal growl on the choruses and the end vamp. This song is 100% high octane.”

We are celebrating our 35th anniversary with the upcoming release of our10th studio album, GOD DAMN EVIL, due April 20, 2018 from Frontiers Music srl. Produced by frontman Michael Sweet, the band returns with their most powerful album to date, doubling down on the hard rock/heavy metal sound that earned them a worldwide fan base.

"God Damn Evil" is available now for pre-order in multiple configurations. Stryper have made available some special bundles of "God Damn Evil" through their own webstore and in partnership with Frontiers Music Srl:

Stryper Webstore: Includes EXCLUSIVE yellow colored vinyl (limited to 100 copies worldwide), autographed vinyl test pressings, EXCLUSIVE t-shirt design (Stryper store ONLY), Limited Amount of autographed CDs, and more! Pre-order HERE: https://stores.portmerch.com/stryper/

CD in the Stryper online store:  https://stores.portmerch.com/stryper/stryper-music/god-damn-evil-cd.html 

LP in the Stryper online store:  https://stores.portmerch.com/stryper/stryper-music/god-damn-evil-lp.html

Frontiers U.S. Webstore: Includes EXCLUSIVE gold colored vinyl (limited to 100 copies worldwide), autographed vinyl test pressings, EXCLUSIVE t-shirt design (Frontiers store ONLY), Limited Amount of autographed CDs, and more! Pre-order HERE: https://pmusic.co/34WWZE

Frontiers EU Webstore: Includes EXCLUSIVE silver colored vinyl (limited to 100 copies worldwide) and more! Pre-order HERE: https://bit.ly/2EcT3J3

Pre-orders are also available at the usual retail outlets like Amazon and iTunes and "Take It To The Cross" can be streamed at Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Those links available tomorrow.

Amazon:  https://amzn.to/2Ewxmmi

Itunes:  (Search Stryper - God Damn Evil)

Fans were initially introduced to the "God Damn Evil" album title and cover art via social media posts on February 5th, which quickly went viral causing a significant amount of conversation from STRYPER fans.

“We thought long and hard about this title,” says Michael in response to thousands of fan comments. “It was actually considered quite a few years ago and it just didn't feel like the right time. Now, with all the evil in the world that we see around us on a daily basis, it made perfect sense. It's a very bold statement yet a prayer asking God to damn/condemn evil. Nothing more, nothing less."

God Damn Evil is the first release since the recent addition of bass player Perry Richardson, who joins original members Michael Sweet (vocals and guitar), Robert Sweet (drums) and Oz Fox (guitar). Perry is best known as a founding member of the multi-platinum band FireHouse.

Rocking since 1984, STRYPER is responsible for such classic '80s metal albums as Soldiers Under Command, To Hell with the Devil and In God We Trust. In fact, STRYPER is the first band to ever have two songs in MTV’s Top 10 simultaneously with their hits “Free” and “Honestly.” After a sabbatical for much of the 1990's, STRYPER returned strong in the early 21st century. To date, the Dove Award-winning and GRAMMY-nominated band has sold over 10 million records worldwide.

"God Damn Evil" is the follow-up to STRYPER’s ninth studio album, "Fallen" (Frontiers Music SRL), which was released in 2015 and debuted at the top of the Billboard charts. 2016’s 30th Anniversary To Hell With The Devil Tour saw record crowds and featured the band’s largest sound and lighting production in nearly two decades.

STRYPER will return to the road this year, kicking off the God Damn Evil World Tour in Milan, Italy on April 28th at the Frontiers Rock Festival. Tour dates will be posted as confirmed at https://www.stryper.com/Tour/tour.html.

“We all see and hear the darkness that surrounds us in our society but with faith and love, we'll always have hope,” says Michael. “That's what STRYPER is all about - powerful music and a message that builds foundations, not walls. We couldn't be more excited about God Damn Evil as it showcases our undying love for what we do and why we do it.”

Track Listing for God Damn Evil:
1. Take It To The Cross
2. Sorry
3. Lost
4. God Damn Evil
5. You Don’t Even Know Me
6. The Valley
7. Sea Of Thieves
8. Beautiful
9. Can’t Live Without Your Love
10. Own Up
11. The Devil Doesn’t Live Here

For more information, visit www.STRYPER.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 09:53:37 PM »

I don't dislike it, but it's just so different from their previous work it takes a while to get used to. It'll probably grow on me after a while.
Anyway, kudos to Stryper for trying something new/different on this album :metal

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:49 PM »

I don't dislike it, but it's just so different from their previous work it takes a while to get used to. It'll probably grow on me after a while.
Anyway, kudos to Stryper for trying something new/different on this album :metal

What has me intrigued is, will they be able to reproduce it in a live setting?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »
I don’t think that’ll be a problem, excepting for the screaming vocals at the back, but that’s just a minor thing. If MS has made it through 35 years of Stryper with the same vocal range (or almost), I think it’s fair to say he can handle this.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 10:36:33 PM »
I'm at work so can't wait to listen later, but screaming vocals you say?!!?  :omg: :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 11:25:02 PM »
Initial reaction:  I don't care for it.  Maybe it'll grow on me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 01:47:13 AM »
Wow, I really like this one!

It's a safe bet that chorus gets stuck in your head after you listen to this song.

Awesome tune!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 04:34:58 AM »
I'll probably end up accepting this but after one listen it seems pretty silly if I'm going to be honest.  As I said it will be something I'd probably ending getting a kick out of but to me it's like normal Stryper with a chorus that doesn't really fit thrown in there for no real reason and seems to lack any purpose or flow, but maybe I missed something after only one listen.

I don't see this as anything really out there from their sound.  The growls at the end are pretty damn weak too.  I'm liking the heaviness and despite my comment sounds promising.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 04:42:48 AM »
I woke up singing that chorus TITTC

Pre order thru pledge music:

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/stryper

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 05:56:44 AM »
God Damn Awful  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 06:32:15 AM »
I would have preferred if the song would have had a different ending, I mean, fading the song was lazy.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:26:23 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:56 AM »
As mentioned above, Stryper is a band where I typically only like a handful of songs per album and I don't think is one I'd keep. The chorus ruins this song in my opinion.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 07:39:27 AM »
The riff kinda sounds like The Trees Have Eyes by King Diamond.

I don't think the chorus really fits. Sounds like he just randomly decided to try out his fight era Halford impression. Sure I may end up with it in my head. Though not because I liked it but because it caught me off guard and made me laugh.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
God Damn Awful  :lol

:rollin  Sooo.......you didn't like it then? haha

The riff kinda sounds like The Trees Have Eyes by King Diamond.

I don't think the chorus really fits. Sounds like he just randomly decided to try out his fight era Halford impression. Sure I may end up with it in my head. Though not because I liked it but because it caught me off guard and made me laugh.

The chorus doesn't fit, that's my main issue.  It's just pretty cheesy and goofy because they are trying to be heavy and evil.  The riff definitely very similar to The Trees Have Eyes by KD, good pickup.  It's obviously got a heavy Sabbath Children of the Grave vibe too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
That chorus blows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 10:11:28 PM »
Heard the chorus once and shut the song off.  What a bag of shit.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2018, 02:47:20 AM »
Is the chorus a joke? When you go for a Halford-like chorus, at least you have to have the voice suited for it. There, MS sounds like a kid on helium. And this comes for someone who has always admired MS's voice and singing. Well, I guess Stryper is not for me anymore.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2018, 03:55:03 AM »
Im certainly not going to pass judgement until we hear the whole album.