Author Topic: Defend a movie that most people don't like, but you do  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Defend a movie that most people don't like, but you do
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »
To start this thing off, I present to the court: Batman forever

I hated this movie when it first came out, since it wasn't dark and morose like Burton's film, but boy was it popular in 95 upon first release as people really didn't like Returns. Now, after Nolan's films people have really changed their minds on this movie, but I have grown to appreciate it.

First of all, its fun. Sure its dumb in some places, but its fun. Its nothing too heavy, but also not overboard campy. At least with the first Schumacher film, it at least tries to take itself seriously. I think Kilmer does an awesome job as batman. A good blend of strength and sadness. Jim carrey is slightly annoying but very entertaining. Tommy lee jones plays two face totally wrong, but its still entertaining imo. Rather than trying to outdo Carrey, he could have went to the opposite end of the spectrum and played two face cold and serious. That's would have been a cool mix, but oh well. Pacing wise, it moves really well and doesn't overstay its welcome. Sometimes movies don't need to be almost 3 hours, but whatever.

The art direction is bombastic and engaging, like a future noir thing but mixed with 50's art deco. The film score is solid and memorable, and the movie is very quotable. And I love Kiss by a rose and U2's kiss me kill me.

So overall I enjoying throwing on Batman forever from time to time. In a world where we have the uber realistic Nolan films and the macbre fairy tale of burton's films, its nice to have something in the middle.

Batman and robin sucks ass though.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Defend a movie that most people don't like, but you do
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:58:40 PM »
1998 Godzilla is the best Godzilla.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:14:44 PM »
Two of Kostners apocalyptic movies, The Postman and Waterworld. Loved them both.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:25:23 PM »
I feel like it'd take me a good long while to mount a defense for mother!, and it'll be kind of pointless since I like it a lot but I don't LOVE it to the point of writing out multiple paragraphs about why it's great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »
Legend. Fantasy movie from 1986 satarring Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, and Tim Curry. Great visuals, story, and soundtrack by Tangerine Dream and Jon Anderson.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
Legend. Fantasy movie from 1986 satarring Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, and Tim Curry. Great visuals, story, and soundtrack by Tangerine Dream and Jon Anderson.

Yeah. Liked that one a lot. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that one though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »
1998 Godzilla is the best Godzilla.

Two of Kostners apocalyptic movies, The Postman and Waterworld. Loved them both.

Excellent arguments here.  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »

What? I thought many people liked this movie. I know a lot of people that do. So it wasn't even on my radar for consideration.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 12:35:25 AM »
Hudson Hawk. The movie is so fuckin' stupid, but I enjoy it every time I see it.

Andy McDowell is absolutely gorgeous in this film as well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 06:39:05 AM »

What? I thought many people liked this movie. I know a lot of people that do. So it wasn't even on my radar for consideration.

Yeah this is definitely a cult hit. So maybe...kinda sorta on the list...but I don't think cult hits would count since that small sect has a huge love for it.

My initial pick is more recent and probably more people mostly disliking it than the former cult status but I think there's a few that really like it. Ghost In The Shell. I love me some ScarJo, not just for the eye candy but I do think she hits all the character points pretty well and she clearly puts a lot of work into her acting and doesn't just phone it in. I really like the world they built and tried to make their own, despite it not working out entirely throughout some of the movie. I think it felt very respectful of the source material despite the foaming-at-the-mouth zealots crucifying it for not being the anime come to life (which will never, ever happen for any film adaptation of an anime...because it's fucking anime). For what we got though, I was very pleasantly surprised. Also Michael Pitt is bae and he did a superb job and basically made up for any misfires the movie had in my eyes.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 08:42:25 AM »
Hudson Hawk. The movie is so fuckin' stupid, but I enjoy it every time I see it.

Andy McDowell is absolutely gorgeous in this film as well.

Yes! Love it  :tup.   I always expected a sequel

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 08:52:18 AM »
One saving grace of Batman Forever is that Nicole Kidman is absurdingly and exagerately hot in there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 10:44:17 AM »

Yeah this is definitely a cult hit. So maybe...kinda sorta on the list...but I don't think cult hits would count since that small sect has a huge love for it.

My initial pick is more recent and probably more people mostly disliking it than the former cult status but I think there's a few that really like it. Ghost In The Shell. I love me some ScarJo, not just for the eye candy but I do think she hits all the character points pretty well and she clearly puts a lot of work into her acting and doesn't just phone it in. I really like the world they built and tried to make their own, despite it not working out entirely throughout some of the movie. I think it felt very respectful of the source material despite the foaming-at-the-mouth zealots crucifying it for not being the anime come to life (which will never, ever happen for any film adaptation of an anime...because it's fucking anime). For what we got though, I was very pleasantly surprised. Also Michael Pitt is bae and he did a superb job and basically made up for any misfires the movie had in my eyes.

I went to see Ghost in the Shell, without knowing much about the anime. I really liked it!

My friend who is really into anime, said I should really check out the original..

The original Blade Runner is an obvious answer, a lot pf people still don't get the movie. It's one of my all time favorite movies. Other is Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. It is the worst of the Mad Max movies, but i can still watch it no problem..

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
Is Batman Forever the one with the line "Holy Rusted Metal, Batman!"?  I loved that.  Callback to the campy 60's TV series, then actually explained in a way that's not completely stupid.

"She was so sweet, I could eat her brains like jam!" -- One of the goblins.  What a great line.  Legend was one of the first DVDs we bought when we got our new DVD player, like 100 years ago.

I thought Waterworld was great.  Mutations don't work like that, but whatever.  Everything else was actually pretty cool, from his boat to Dennis Hopper being Dennis Hopper and being basically insane.  I kinda liked what The Postman was going for; it just didn't really grab me.  I remember the babe being pretty hot, though, so there is that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
Never saw The Postman.  But I'm surprised to see Waterworld listed here.  I thought that movie was fairly well liked.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »
Never saw The Postman.  But I'm surprised to see Waterworld listed here.  I thought that movie was fairly well liked.

I think the major issue with it was that it went WAY over budget. The set was destroyed in a typhoon.

I thought it was a pretty cool movie. And the only real knock on the Postman I'd have would be that it's LONG. But, I thought it all worked....another neat idea.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
They both came out at a time when it was cool to bash Kevin Costner, for some reason.  I remember both of those movies getting ripped up pretty badly when they came out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 12:38:08 PM »

Yeah. Liked that one a lot. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that one though.

I actually have the soundtrack on CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 01:11:01 PM »
They both came out at a time when it was cool to bash Kevin Costner, for some reason. 

Reason being he is a shitty actor who was in a ton of movies.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »
Anyone else like that Wachowski's film Cloud Atlas?

It starred Halle Berry, Tom Hanks and bunch of others. They all had multiple roles in the film, as it jumped between different eras and timelines. I remember when reviewers slammed the movie when it came out, but I really liked it!

My favorite movie from them, beside The Matrix of course.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »
Attack of the Clones.

Fight me.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 01:27:59 PM »

It starred Halle Berry, Tom Hanks and bunch of others. They all had multiple roles in the film, as it jumped between different eras and timelines. I remember when reviewers slammed the movie when it came out, but I really liked it!

Not a bad movie, but just not a very good movie at all either.

And saying it's your favorite after the Matrix isn't saying much. I just checked their filmography and man, they really did only have one good movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 01:32:43 PM »

Not a bad movie, but just not a very good movie at all either.

And saying it's your favorite after the Matrix isn't saying much. I just checked their filmography and man, they really did only have one good movie.

It was an enjoyable film. Not Great, not bad.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 01:53:59 PM »
Attack of the Clones.

Fight me.

When it came out, I highly enjoyed it, despite being overly spoiled on the plot. I certainly enjoyed it much more than I did TPM at its release. If I popped it in right now, I'd get a fair amount of enjoyment out of it.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »
Attack of the Clones.

Fight me.

To be fair I liked half of that movie.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »
Attack of the Clones.

Fight me.

For me, this is a not-too-bad movie with two or three really horrendous subplots and scenes.  It's also the worst of the Star Wars movies, so it suffers by comparison.

I'd have a much easier time with "movies that everyone thinks are great but you hate" (maybe that thread already exists).  I can think of a couple movies I liked that weren't particularly popular, but I'm not sure I can think of one that I like that most people don't.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
I'll second The Postman and Ghost In The Shell.

Saw The Postman twice in the theater when it was out. Both times people walked out of the movie fairly early on.

I have no prior knowledge of Ghost other than it was a vaunted anime. I enjoyed the movie and ScarJo is a goddess to me so that is always a plus. I know it got brutalized but I like it.

Mission To Mars is another one that I believe gets tons of hate. I really liked it.

I guess I'm not really defending. Just stating that I like some hated films.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
Halloween 3 for sure, I haven't met many people that actually like it but I've always enjoyed it. I actually think it's better than every Halloween movie that came after it. It has one of my favorite soundtracks of any horror movie as well. I'm a huge fan of old horror movies, but aside from a few classics, I'm not really into Slasher movies at all. That's why I've always appreciated that they wanted to try something different with the series and go with a new and original idea that didn't involve Michael Myers. Unfortunately, it seems like many people never even gave it a chance for that reason.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 09:21:54 AM »
Halloween 3 for sure, I haven't met many people that actually like it but I've always enjoyed it. I actually think it's better than every Halloween movie that came after it. It has one of my favorite soundtracks of any horror movie as well. I'm a huge fan of old horror movies, but aside from a few classics, I'm not really into Slasher movies at all. That's why I've always appreciated that they wanted to try something different with the series and go with a new and original idea that didn't involve Michael Myers. Unfortunately, it seems like many people never even gave it a chance for that reason.

I'm on board with you on this one for sure. Season of the witch is a cool, creepy movie. And the halloween franchise would have been much better off as anthology film series imo. Could have kept it fresh. Some might have been bad, some might have been awesome. We'll never know.

But one thing I know for sure, it would have spared us from this:  (regardless of how funny it is)

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
Oh wow, I totally forgot about that cheeseball scene  :rollin That movie was pretty bad, but it was still entertaining enough for me to watch the entire thing. I can't say the same for the second Rob Zombie one, that's the only Halloween movie that I didn't like at all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »

I LOVE Cloud Atlas. Maybe not as much as The Matrix but it would be up there in my top20 favorite movies.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
Man Of Steel. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »

I LOVE Cloud Atlas. Maybe not as much as The Matrix but it would be up there in my top20 favorite movies.

I randomly stumbled upon Cloud Atlas one time when I decided to get a hotel room. I enjoyed it, I found it to be pretty good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »
It has its flaws, but I actually enjoyed cloud atlas quite a bit.

Here goes a movie I really find hilarious, but it didn't do well at the box office and got crappy reviews:

Maybe I find it funnier since I play guitar and have been in go-nowhere bands and know how frustrating that can be, but I love this movie. And from top to bottom there are tons of famous and very talented actors in this thing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »
Airheads is awesome.

My choice is Mixed Nuts. No one seems to even like it but I love it. Any one else seen it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com