Author Topic: YES, John is now selling "Suspended Animation" on the 2018 G3 tour!!!  (Read 5875 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: YES, John is now selling "Suspended Animation" on the 2018 G3 tour!!!
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 06:51:26 AM »
Just curious, was it ever in stores?  I remember when I bought it, it was only for sale from his website.  Not my favourite instrumental album, just think some songs go on too long (similar to my feelings on Stream Of Consciousness) but still enjoy plenty of stuff on there.  Tend to go to LTE for JP instrumental music though (and I know there's some long songs there too but they seem less repetitive and work better for me!).  Difficult to beat Satriani for purely guitar instrumental music though.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 09:11:36 AM »
If memory serves, I believe it was only ever available online. For some reason, I recall it being released through Steve Vai's label (Favored Nations). I can't find anything about that now. Maybe I'm wrong.

It's a good album. Some songs are a bit long or too repetitive. Particularly "Curve". It starts off pretty cool but after a while, it doesn't really go anywhere. I do hope on future G3 tours (or wherever the opportunity may arise) he brings out the two songs that haven't been played yet.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »
If memory serves, I believe it was only ever available online. For some reason, I recall it being released through Steve Vai's label (Favored Nations). I can't find anything about that now. Maybe I'm wrong.

It's a good album. Some songs are a bit long or too repetitive. Particularly "Curve". It starts off pretty cool but after a while, it doesn't really go anywhere. I do hope on future G3 tours (or wherever the opportunity may arise) he brings out the two songs that haven't been played yet.

Suspended Animation was released through John's website.

The Favored Nations release you are talking about was the John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess "An Evening With". It was originally released through JP's website (and had a black and white cover with bricks) and then Favored Nations released it with two extra tracks I believe, which had like a half guitar/half piano keys cover.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »

Suspended Animation was released through John's website.

The Favored Nations release you are talking about was the John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess "An Evening With". It was originally released through JP's website (and had a black and white cover with bricks) and then Favored Nations released it with two extra tracks I believe, which had like a half guitar/half piano keys cover.

Yup. Believe it or not I actually found the Favored Nations version in a Best Buy many years ago. Couldn't believe it!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 10:43:07 AM »
Somewhat surprised at this thread, I always had the impression people were decidedly "meh" about the album. I absolutely love the album, I really hope the G3 tour spurs on JP to release the sequel.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »
Somewhat surprised at this thread, I always had the impression people were decidedly "meh" about the album. I absolutely love the album, I really hope the G3 tour spurs on JP to release the sequel.

I feel the same. SA was awesome and I'd love to see another solo record from JP, even an EP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 10:57:50 AM »

Can't speak for anyone else, but I had actually never heard the entire thing until fairly recently.  I just find it hard to get into instrumental-only albums.  I like songs with long instrumental passages, like what you will find in the typical DT epic.  And I can often enjoy the odd instrumental song from a given band that I like.  But as far as entire albums, I'm not sure why, but I just generally don't connect with them.  A few VERY rare exceptions I can point to would be:  Passion and Warfare (Steve Vai), Shift (Travis Larson Band), and the two LTE albums.  I can definitely put Suspended Animation up there with those.  It's a very good album, and it holds my interest. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
Shift (Travis Larson Band).

Have you seen the TLB band live? A bliss to see them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 12:49:11 PM »

Yes.  They play in Sacramento at least once a year.  Prior to NAMM each year, they like to do a string of warm-up gigs in CA that always includes a show at a tiny place here called Shine that holds maybe 100 people.  It's cool getting to see them up close and getting to talk to them afterward (although fighting through the crowd of guys trying to hit on Jennifer to say "good gig! you are amazing!" usually isn't worth it).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 01:41:21 PM »

Yes.  They play in Sacramento at least once a year.  Prior to NAMM each year, they like to do a string of warm-up gigs in CA that always includes a show at a tiny place here called Shine that holds maybe 100 people.  It's cool getting to see them up close and getting to talk to them afterward (although fighting through the crowd of guys trying to hit on Jennifer to say "good gig! you are amazing!" usually isn't worth it).

LOL

Yeah, they surprised me when they opened for The Aristocrats. Top notch playing and very melodical. Jen is awesome but the whole band is really down to Earth and great guys to chat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »

Can't speak for anyone else, but I had actually never heard the entire thing until fairly recently.  I just find it hard to get into instrumental-only albums.  I like songs with long instrumental passages, like what you will find in the typical DT epic.  And I can often enjoy the odd instrumental song from a given band that I like.  But as far as entire albums, I'm not sure why, but I just generally don't connect with them.  A few VERY rare exceptions I can point to would be:  Passion and Warfare (Steve Vai), Shift (Travis Larson Band), and the two LTE albums.  I can definitely put Suspended Animation up there with those.  It's a very good album, and it holds my interest.

I'm with ya, bosk - instrumental albums, actually guitar-centric instrumental albums, rub me the wrong way, I usually can't stand them. I have 3 Satch albums and get bored about two songs into all of them (although Always With Me, Always With You is a classic). Suspended Animation is just solid songwriting. Wishful Thinking... Glasgow Kiss... that amazing groove to Tunnel Vision... :hefdaddy
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 11:10:27 PM »
Ok, physical pressings and copies aside, how is it possible that it's not even available on iTunes or any other digital format?

I'd love to know why since this seems like a no-brainer.  If Jordan Rudess can have his stuff on iTunes why not JP?  I really don't get this cuz compared to making more physical copies it's EZPZ and everyone is a winner for doing almost nothing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »
Guess I don't need to go to G3 after all, a friend surprised me by mailing me a copy of SA  :lol  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »
Phil Collen will be disappointed by your absence.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 10:52:47 AM »
Phil Collen will have to pay me to go at this point.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »
Phil will not long tolerate your insolence.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2018, 05:30:56 PM »
For the record (heh), I did not see any copies of JP's album at the Chicago show for sale.  In fact, what little they did have on sale had to be the SMALLEST amount of merchandise I have ever seen in my life.  The only copies I saw were the ones people brought in to get signed.  One guy had an entire clear large Ziploc bag full of CDs, for all 3 artists.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »
For the record (heh), I did not see any copies of JP's album at the Chicago show for sale.  In fact, what little they did have on sale had to be the SMALLEST amount of merchandise I have ever seen in my life.  The only copies I saw were the ones people brought in to get signed.  One guy had an entire clear large Ziploc bag full of CDs, for all 3 artists.

Whew! Glad I got my copy from a friend in the mail.  I would've been so mad, haha.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2018, 10:49:04 AM »

Whew! Glad I got my copy from a friend in the mail.  I would've been so mad, haha.

Oh, but the benefits of hearing Phil Collen's set from the bar would have MORE than made up for it.  :rollin

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2018, 11:50:52 AM »

Oh, but the benefits of hearing Phil Collen's set from the bar would have MORE than made up for it.  :rollin

This is a very good joke, because I got quite a laugh from this.  :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2018, 11:54:16 AM »
And here I thought I was only amusing myself.  :biggrin: