Author Topic: YES, John is now selling "Suspended Animation" on the 2018 G3 tour!!!  (Read 5888 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

Does anyone know if John is selling his Suspended Animation cd on the G3 tour this year?  I believe it's out of print, but maybe he has his own stash that he's had and is unloading it at the merch stand.

ETA: There are a ton being offered on Ebay, but I believe they're all Russian knockoffs.  The album listing at discogs.com would indicate that the official, original CD has art on the CD itself that looks to be a mixture of purple and green, while the Russian boots have CD art that is either all purple or all green.  Discogs could be wrong, of course (since it's user-generated), but I'm adding this info in case anyone here has some insight.  I would just really prefer to have a "real" version, which is why I'm asking (in the event John doesn't have them for sale, and I look elsewhere... obviously, I'd trust John's versions, hah).

EDIT BY BOSK1:  YES, HE IS SELLING THEM NOW.  SEE POST BELOW.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:19:13 AM by bosk1 »

Offline goo-goo

Re: Is John selling "Suspended Animation" on the 2018 G3 tour?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 07:38:43 AM »
No.

He is selling a scarf, JP pick with tin container and 2 shirts. I believe the shirts were $35 and $40, the scarf was $40 I believe and the pick set was $15.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:13:34 AM »
Haha now I can imagine John at the Merc stand himself selling shirts and burgers before and after the show that will be something.

And she listens openly

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
Last year I found, according to Discogs, a Russian bootleg with purple CD art in a local store. I bought it straight away and, honestly, I'm not even slightly bothered by the possibility of it not being official. I've been looking for this album since it was released (I had pretty much no clue (nor money) whatsoever as to how online shopping worked back then) and, hadn't you brought this thread up, I would never even guess anything like that. The CD works just fine, the music plays perfectly and all the artwork is flawless, so it totally passes as a legit copy to whoever sees it without knowing any of that.

If you can bypass the necessity of having an undeniably official product (which I'd like to as well, but given the circumstances…) and just want a physical version, feel free to grab one of those eBay copies with no remorse. If that's not the case… well, then good luck!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »
Does anyone know if John is selling his Suspended Animation cd on the G3 tour this year?  I believe it's out of print, but maybe he has his own stash that he's had and is unloading it at the merch stand.

ETA: There are a ton being offered on Ebay, but I believe they're all Russian knockoffs.  The album listing at discogs.com would indicate that the official, original CD has art on the CD itself that looks to be a mixture of purple and green, while the Russian boots have CD art that is either all purple or all green.  Discogs could be wrong, of course (since it's user-generated), but I'm adding this info in case anyone here has some insight.  I would just really prefer to have a "real" version, which is why I'm asking (in the event John doesn't have them for sale, and I look elsewhere... obviously, I'd trust John's versions, hah).

That's good to know. I bought one when if came out and I guessed it's been out of print now. Unfortunately I can't remember where I got it.  But the one I have is all purple (No green anywhere.)

I generally try to avoid knockoffs/CDRs, but that's just me.  I'm into the original/authenticity aspect of it.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:45:16 AM »
THere's two versions of Suspended Animation:
-The 1st pressing had Curve split into two tracks I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong).
-The 2nd pressing corrected the issue above.

I got it from JP's website store. I believe I have both pressings. I did get signed one of them at a JP Guitar Center meet and greet a while back.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 01:33:47 PM »
THere's two versions of Suspended Animation:
-The 1st pressing had Curve split into two tracks I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong).
-The 2nd pressing corrected the issue above.

I got it from JP's website store. I believe I have both pressings. I did get signed one of them at a JP Guitar Center meet and greet a while back.

Yeah I can confirm about the first pressing. My version of SA has Curve split into two tracks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 10:31:27 AM »
It is not being sold at the merch stands on G3.  I believe it is out of print, and that anyone who doesn't have it is out of luck.  As I have mentioned in other threads, I wouldn't buy the Russian knockoffs on Ebay.  Not very cool to let some pirate pocket money for something they have no right to.  But the dilemma is that there doesn't appear to be any legit way to get that album right now.  I meant to ask JP about that at G3, but didn't get to it.  I just sent him an email this morning, so I will let you guys know if I hear anything.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
I bought some CDs from discogs.com and the person made no comments whatsoever about them being Russian bootlegs... turned out they were, and then he got pissed at ME when I left him negative feedback! Russian bootlegs suck.

What sucks even more though is that the damn album is OOP but JP wants to sell scarves instead. Come on! I want SA sitting there with my other CDs... the "J" section of my collection needs all the help it can get... Thanks for messaging JP bosk. Would be nice if some more were printed...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 09:08:27 AM »
I'm actually surprised he isn't selling it on tour. Not sure what the process is to get another run of the album produced, but I'm assuming he could even though it's currently out of print as the owner of the music. Seems like it would have been worth while to order a run of a couple hundred CDs and have them on the tour, he would have sold a bunch probably.

Just realized it isn't on Spotify either. That surprises me, JP is pretty savvy on the business-side of things, I would have thought he would have the album available on streaming platforms. Open a new revenue stream.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »
I'm actually surprised he isn't selling it on tour. Not sure what the process is to get another run of the album produced, but I'm assuming he could even though it's currently out of print as the owner of the music. Seems like it would have been worth while to order a run of a couple hundred CDs and have them on the tour, he would have sold a bunch probably.

Just realized it isn't on Spotify either. That surprises me, JP is pretty savvy on the business-side of things, I would have thought he would have the album available on streaming platforms. Open a new revenue stream.

I know this is touchy on the rules but this is the perfect example of when piracy is acceptable imo. In fact, that's literally the only way I've ever even heard Suspended Animation. PRINT MORE COPIES!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:58 AM »

I know this is touchy on the rules but this is the perfect example of when piracy is acceptable imo. In fact, that's literally the only way I've ever even heard Suspended Animation. PRINT MORE COPIES!!

Which is why I'm surprised John hasn't put the album up on legit streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, etc... At least that way, he'll see some money from it, not much, but better than people just illegally downloading it.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »

That's exactly why I don't regret having a Russian knockoff in this case. I'll still definitely buy an original copy if JP ever prints them again.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 08:31:45 PM »
Been considering getting the Russian bootleg.  A lot of those are nearly identical to the real thing.  Actually just ordered a Russian bootleg of something called Giuntini Project because the debut album is IMPOSSIBLE to find, at least for less than 120 bucks, and even then you can't guarantee that it's not a bootleg. 

Finally found a Russian copy for 15 bucks including shipping. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: YES, John is now selling "Suspended Animation" on the 2018 G3 tour!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 11:23:51 AM »
JP told me he had found a few copies of the disk stashed at home and meant to bring them on the tour, but hadn't dug them out and forgot.  He now has them and will make them available at the shows.  And he is signing them as an added bonus.  As far as I know, these are the only official copies available anywhere, so get 'em while you can!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 11:47:34 AM »
Even that sounds like a stop gap measure.

Wouldn't part with it, because I love the album, but it makes me wonder what my signed copy would be worth.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »
Would love to get my hands on a signed copy. Would anybody be willing to get one for me?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »

I have no idea what this means.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »
I hope they last the week. I'd like to get one at the Boston show.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 12:13:17 PM »

I mean, how many copies can he have stashed at home? Just wondering how many shows they'll last.

I'm just kinda surprised that he wouldn't print more of his only album prior to doing a tour like this, just seems odd.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »

I mean, how many copies can he have stashed at home? Just wondering how many shows they'll last.

I'm just kinda surprised that he wouldn't print more of his only album prior to doing a tour like this, just seems odd.

I would think you know enough about the music industry to know that it's probably not up to him to print more. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:02 PM »

I would think you know enough about the music industry to know that it's probably not up to him to print more. 

Actually, the album was released on Sound Mind Music, which is a label founded by John and Rayna Petrucci, so in this case I'd think he's pretty much in the driver's seat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 02:09:23 PM »
Not necessarily.  I wouldn't just assume that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:16:10 PM by bosk1 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 07:31:34 AM »
Great! Baby steps, I suppose. But I certainly hope he gets around to getting more physically printed. That artwork is gorgeous and I want it on my shelves. Right between the Joe Satriani and Jordan Rudess records. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 08:37:41 AM »
Even though he and Rena may have created the label that it was co-released on, I have no idea whether they own the music and/or distribution rights.  But even if they do, when you think about it, there probably really isn't much demand for the album.  Maybe a few hundred copies would get sold?  I'm not sure that would justify another production run, even if some of those few hundred REALLY want the album.  It's not like they would just be burning a few copies at a time on their home computer.  But who knows?  The point is, at least JP recognized that some fans on this tour would like to buy it, and he is responding to that the best way he can.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
Even though he and Rena may have created the label that it was co-released on, I have no idea whether they own the music and/or distribution rights.  But even if they do, when you think about it, there probably really isn't much demand for the album.  Maybe a few hundred copies would get sold?  I'm not sure that would justify another production run, even if some of those few hundred REALLY want the album.  It's not like they would just be burning a few copies at a time on their home computer.  But who knows?  The point is, at least JP recognized that some fans on this tour would like to buy it, and he is responding to that the best way he can.

I do think JP owns the music and distribution rights but you are spot on on the demand. The more copies you press, you get better deals for pressing costs. Not really sure if JP can sell 1000 but he can easily sell 100. It's a matter of finding the closest balance but I don't think there has been much demand throughout the years after it was initially released. Once JP records and releases his 2nd solo album (whenever that happens), a 2nd pressing of Suspended Animation is more justified and has a better chance of happening..

I didn't see Phil Collen stock up cds on the merch stand either and he announced that his latest solo album had been released the day before he played Austin. So either he wasn't expecting for fans to pick up his album after playing or he didn't have stock available. I think Satch was the only one selling his latest album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »

Here's the problem though. Piracy is illegal, flat-out: but if you can't obtain the freaking CD in the first place, and it's not even on streaming sites, what other option is there? I totally understand the argument for not making more copies, buuut... is the 'correct' solution to just not try to find the art? I would love to give him money for it. I am dying to do so. But I can't unless someone here wants to pick me up a copy...  :biggrin:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »

Here's the problem though. Piracy is illegal, flat-out: but if you can't obtain the freaking CD in the first place, and it's not even on streaming sites, what other option is there? I totally understand the argument for not making more copies, buuut... is the 'correct' solution to just not try to find the art? I would love to give him money for it. I am dying to do so. But I can't unless someone here wants to pick me up a copy...  :biggrin:

Same here.  If he sold it through his website I would spend up to 25 bucks just knowing it went to the actual artist instead of a bootlegger.  Maybe it's not worth it to him.  Maybe Bosk could send an email to him and ask if he could sell them personally to forumers who have expressed an interest. 

Maybe.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »

Same here.  If he sold it through his website I would spend up to 25 bucks just knowing it went to the actual artist instead of a bootlegger.  Maybe it's not worth it to him.  Maybe Bosk could send an email to him and ask if he could sell them personally to forumers who have expressed an interest. 

Maybe.

I like that idea. It would be better if people who actually go to the shows tell the Merch guy or better yet, if they can, Petrucci himself, why doesn't he have cds for sale. That in itself could show an interest in the CD.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 03:57:09 AM »
So other than the album (which i  already have) do they sell JP shirts ???

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2018, 10:32:33 PM »
I think I turned off e-mail notifications for this once someone said JP wasn't selling the cd at shows, so WOW at how it blew up!  Thanks to all who chimed in.

Anyway, John had the cd at the Greensburg (Pittsburgh) show!!! To my pleasant surprise, obv!

Snatched it right up. Figured it couldn't get more legit than buying directly from him!!! (Though, to be fair, I once saw Joey Belladonna from Anthrax selling CDr's of his solo albums once at an '08 solo show during his time away from the band)

But anyway, came to the forum to post that when I load the cd into my computer, the automatic info or whatever actually reveals some song title changes

"Lost Without You" comes up as "The Rena Song" and "Animate-Inanimate" comes up as "In the Moment."

Very odd, b/c the only way this is possible if there is an official entry in whatever the player references that has this info in it.  And since the album has long since been out of print, why would there be a change in whatever is floating out there on the interwebz?

I know it's not unprecedented (seeing as how John is now calling Cloud Ten "The Happy Song"), but for an OOP album from 13 years ago to get new song titles registered out there in the ether is certainly a headscratcher.

ETA: The "contributing artists" for the entire CD are listed as "John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess," so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:41:11 PM by zappafrank2112 »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 05:07:59 AM »
But anyway, came to the forum to post that when I load the cd into my computer, the automatic info or whatever actually reveals some song title changes

"Lost Without You" comes up as "The Rena Song" and "Animate-Inanimate" comes up as "In the Moment."

Very odd, b/c the only way this is possible if there is an official entry in whatever the player references that has this info in it.  And since the album has long since been out of print, why would there be a change in whatever is floating out there on the interwebz?

I know it's not unprecedented (seeing as how John is now calling Cloud Ten "The Happy Song"), but for an OOP album from 13 years ago to get new song titles registered out there in the ether is certainly a headscratcher.

ETA: The "contributing artists" for the entire CD are listed as "John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess," so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Strange, but is the database that your computer used from an official place? Because The Rena Song is actually an acoustic guitar piece JP played *before* Lost Without You on the Waking Up the World Tour back in 1995. In the Moment is the title of one of the songs JP and JR did together on their album An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess. Plus the fact that JR is included in the credits, when he had nothing to do with SA, shows that someone didn't know what they were doing when entering in the credits, or they were screwing around when they shouldn't have.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 12:02:57 PM »
How much is the cd? Anybody going to one if these shows wanna pick me up a copy and I'll pay ya back extra.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »
Strange, but is the database that your computer used from an official place? Because The Rena Song is actually an acoustic guitar piece JP played *before* Lost Without You on the Waking Up the World Tour back in 1995. In the Moment is the title of one of the songs JP and JR did together on their album An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess. Plus the fact that JR is included in the credits, when he had nothing to do with SA, shows that someone didn't know what they were doing when entering in the credits, or they were screwing around when they shouldn't have.

Looks like Windows Media Player is referencing this: https://tinylink.net/Le0lZ .  And when I take a closer look at that entry (vs. what's automatically loaded when I insert the CD), it actually reveals yet another incorrect title: Black Ice.

So I have no clue where the site is getting its data from, but there ya go.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 06:21:03 AM »
Couple thoughts:
- the album is excellent; I'm glad people can perhaps get it.
- In my experience, eBay is the place you have to watch out for in terms of Russian boots.  Sellers aren't always up front about that (and I truly believe some don't even know; though I have run across the odd guy that did and swapped out a "boot" for a real one when I complained)
- Discogs is pretty good; yes, it's user maintained, but it catalogues ALL releases of a given disc (even re-releases and second pressings, if there are differences), and some of those people are anal AF, and I've seen cases where the Russian boot actually gets it's own entry! 
- It can be his label and yet he can't release it; just by way of example, either the publishing deal he cut or the distribution deal he cut (it's his label but he needs someone to put it in boxes and get it into stores) could limit his ability to press new ones and release.
- Depending on where you are listening to the disk, the information may be from the disk itself, or it may be automatically pulled from an online database (I believe iTunes does this).  CDBD or CBGB or some thing like that. So changes may not be on the disk itself but in the database. 
- the album is excellent; I'm glad people can perhaps get it.  :)