Author Topic: JP busting out the Mario Brothers Theme  (Read 3919 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: JP busting out the Mario Brothers Theme
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 08:34:51 AM »
John Petrucci looks like a kindly man you encounter after being lost in the woods for weeks. He has a nice, comfy log cabin and gives you some homemade moose burgers and lets you pet his gargantuan pet black bear, Majesty. He then leads you back to town, showing you all sorts of cool things in the woods that you missed while wandering around lost. All the while, he's giving you life advice that uplifts your spirits and puts you on the right track (even though you didn't even know that you had lost your way).

...and then you discover, too late, that the cave he led you to and persuaded you to take shelter in is really an oven that he cooks you in before devouring you with a tasty side of wild herbs grown in the forest. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 09:13:28 AM »
JP plays ... 2mm picks?!

Does he just 3d-print them on demand? :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
John Petrucci looks like a kindly man you encounter after being lost in the woods for weeks. He has a nice, comfy log cabin and gives you some homemade moose burgers and lets you pet his gargantuan pet black bear, Majesty. He then leads you back to town, showing you all sorts of cool things in the woods that you missed while wandering around lost. All the while, he's giving you life advice that uplifts your spirits and puts you on the right track (even though you didn't even know that you had lost your way).

...and then you discover, too late, that the cave he led you to and persuaded you to take shelter in is really an oven that he cooks you in before devouring you with a tasty side of wild herbs grown in the forest. 

Now wait a minute, man.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2018, 10:12:28 AM »
That's not how he is..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2018, 12:20:53 PM »

If JP doesn't turn this story into a song on the next album, I'll be severely disappointed.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »

Damn, I thought his diet only consisted of potatoes and small mammals.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »

If JP doesn't turn this story into a song on the next album, I'll be severely disappointed.   :lol
Actually, it was part of Act II in the Astonishing, but it was ultimately cut because they were worried about taking heat from PETA.  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »

Also, video's super cool. Wish they would've come back to the theme after the solo, because I love how JP plays that. His tone is just so right. How much that Jules guy is loving every second of this is so cool too.

He really has that very humble down to earth vibe you can feel that on his interviews and even when I met him at a pre show meet and greet he did not say much too me because I think he felt I got nervouse  but it feels he is much more genuine the way he interacted with the fans because he did not sound generic like he treated every one at the venue as individuals so he does not have that canned response or statements and considering it is a pre show thing and they are thinking about the gig and what not that really says something. He seemed more relax at the post show meet and greet even though obviously they are tired he seemed to really enjoy the fans.

And she listens openly

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2018, 02:38:34 PM »
I'll preempt the following with that this video is totally fun, awesome by JP and I loved every second of it.

But ...

man, the whole Mario Bros theme thing needs to be put to rest. There are so many other cool 8-bit tunes.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 08:11:02 AM »
I'll preempt the following with that this video is totally fun, awesome by JP and I loved every second of it.

But ...

man, the whole Mario Bros theme thing needs to be put to rest. There are so many other cool 8-bit tunes.

Marrio Brothers theme is the new Stairway to heaven and Hotel California!

And she listens openly

Offline DT1138

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »

But ...

Could not agree more.  At least it was short and very sweet.  I remember reading that John used to (or still does?) play games, so I wonder if if he has worked up any others...?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »

Actually, it was part of Act II in the Astonishing, but it was ultimately cut because they were worried about taking heat from PETA.  :biggrin:

:lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。