Author Topic: dredg  (Read 15413 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: dredg - v. 2018 (In the Studio writing new album!)
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2018, 06:33:13 PM »
Okay, it has been six months. Is there any word on the progress they are making with the new album they were supposedly working on?  We dredg fans need news!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »
not a lot yet since the members have been busy with their other projects recently.

The most recent thing I saw was an interview with Mark Engles on this podcast last month about his band Black Map and a little about dredg.

"it's in the embryonic stages..we won't take as long as Tool, but we're not putting an album out for a bit."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2018, 08:07:15 PM »
I think when it's ready then it's ready. I'm just glad they dredg isn't all lost.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 10:10:21 AM »
That's kinda disappointing, but not surprising.  I have to wonder how much of the old fan base will even be into a new album.  After this long hiatus following a widely-panned album, I imagine a lot of fans jumped off the bandwagon and have moved on.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 02:56:34 PM »
If the new album is solid on the level of catch without arms or The Pariah, then I am 100% back on board. All past mistakes forgotten.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »
I think that is the sentiment of a lot of the dredg community.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 04:05:26 PM »
As someone who liked Dredg up until Chuckles, which killed off my interest in the band almost completely (can barely revisit even their good albums anymore), I want to say I would check out a new album but I think honestly it comes down to early reviews. But I think even so it would take legit "this album is really good" comments from people who aren't fanboys and will say that no matter what, if the general consensus is just "this was good" I might not bother.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2018, 04:34:40 PM »
Out of curiosity what about the last album drove you away from the earlier stuff. I didn't like Chuckles either and I never revisit it but I still enjoy the earlier work just as much.

Especially going into the history and chuckles and how they didn't want it to be a dredg album allows me to even further distance myself.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »
if you look at their history, they've never made albums quick. Each record other than Chuckles they spent many years working on before the album was released.

I mean it was not that long ago, Pariah seemed to take for fucking ever to come out. There was hope it would be out in 2006, and then 2007.

June 9th, 2009.

so given they only started writing the album in March, 2019..even say Summer or Fall wouldn't be surprising.

Maybe they could release a single at some point, or more likely, play some of the new stuff live as they often have.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
Goddamn I hope they start touring at least. I would travel for a few shows easily

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
As mediocre as Chuckles is, it does have a couple songs I still like.  That stupid producer just killed the album with that awful sound.  There are plenty of bits all over the place where you think it could have been a pretty good album had it retained the classic dredg sound and a little more work been done on the songs.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2018, 02:40:23 AM »
Out of curiosity what about the last album drove you away from the earlier stuff. I didn't like Chuckles either and I never revisit it but I still enjoy the earlier work just as much.

Especially going into the history and chuckles and how they didn't want it to be a dredg album allows me to even further distance myself.

I don't think it's just Chuckles being a big disappointment that turned me away but more the timing of it all. For example had they come out with a new album 2 years after Chuckles maybe it would have been different but the disappointing album combined with going on an almost permanent break just made my interest slowly fade away over time. I have gone back to Pariah/CWA/El Cielo at least once in the last few months and I think they mostly hold up as albums though I've found Gavin's voice to become a bit more hit or miss with me since ~2009 or when Pariah came out, that time before Chuckles when I was most into the band.

It's kinda similar to Tool for me, when you go that long without putting out any music it just falls to the back of my mind as I discover new bands along the way.

Online Mladen

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
I remember thinking that Chuckles isn't as bad as everyone thought, but nowadays I never feel the need to play anything off that album. I usually return to the big three, which have always switched places as my favorite. At the moment, I'm confident Catch without arms was the best one.

Offline DTA

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »
I think Chuckles is better than Leitmotif, which feels too much like a demo, but they both pale in comparison to their other 3. Upon Returning is a top 5 dredg song for me, and The Thought Of Losing You is great also. Where I'll End Up has one of my favorite bridge sections.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2018, 06:03:58 PM »
I remember thinking that Chuckles isn't as bad as everyone thought, but nowadays I never feel the need to play anything off that album. I usually return to the big three, which have always switched places as my favorite. At the moment, I'm confident Catch without arms was the best one.

As much as I like Catch Without Arms, I just can't say it's as good as the other two, both of which I call, with no hesitation, truly great.  CWA seems more like a collection of great songs, while El Cielo and The Pariah... are both a bit more than that.  Plus, The Pariah is easily their best sounding album, IMO (it has more bottom end and sounds more refined without sounding too refined).

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »

As much as I like Catch Without Arms, I just can't say it's as good as the other two, both of which I call, with no hesitation, truly great.  CWA seems more like a collection of great songs, while El Cielo and The Pariah... are both a bit more than that.  Plus, The Pariah is easily their best sounding album, IMO (it has more bottom end and sounds more refined without sounding too refined).

I agree with all of this. CWA has some great songs and no bad songs but it doesn't have the magic of El Cielo or Pariah. The later also has the best drumming imo, which makes me put it as the best Dredg album.

With regards to the new album, I'm hopeful but skeptical. Hope the time off and doing different stuff brings some new influences and twists but it's been a long time since their best efforts.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2018, 10:34:25 PM »
Drew posted this the other day.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2018, 04:56:17 AM »
Nice. looking forward to hearing new shit

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2018, 06:25:05 AM »
Yea I can't wait, except I'll probably be waiting for a while.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2018, 05:51:17 AM »
Nice
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2018, 03:23:10 PM »
Drew made a comment on Facebook in September

" 2019 #6"

Also this Podcast:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/creative-minds/e/57130687?autoplay=true

Chad: Speaking of Gavin ... if the internet world is correct, you guys are working on more stuff?

Drew: Yeah, we have been. We've been writing a lot like in the last six months. We probably get together once a week, twice a week if we can. We've got about maybe ten new songs?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »
Apparently I'm the only one here who likes Chuckles.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2018, 06:29:56 PM »
I find Chuckles to be dredg's worst album, but still has several enjoyable tunes.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2018, 06:33:20 PM »
I find Chuckles to be dredg's worst album, but still has several enjoyable tunes.

I think this is now my take on the album. I really was disappointed when it first came out but my expectations were so high. Over the years and more listens there are a few good tunes on there.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »
I hate Chuckles but in retrospect it's a stain on an otherwise great discography. They kinda fell in that trap where they were putting out excellent albums every 4-5 years and then as soon as they kinda rushed to put out one 2 years after TPTPTD you could tell not as much craft had been put into it. I think few artists/bands are able to put out albums just 2 years after the last one. I mean it happens, but I think at least with Dredg it's that extra time that made the other albums so great. It's more to it than just albums with good songs but an attention to small details that makes them hold up well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2018, 10:52:47 AM »
You also have realize that chuckles was never supposed to be a pure dredg album, it was a collaboration album and the recording style was very different from all previous albums. To your point you can clearly tell that the process was very different on that album.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »
and the band themselves has said numerous times they would  not have released it under the dredg name had they had a choice.

It's really a "Dan the Automator with dredg" album.

Online Mladen

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »
Can anyone explain to me what was different in the process of making Chuckles in comparison to, say, The Pariah?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2018, 04:53:01 PM »
I might be mis-remembering some things but in a recent podcast Mark said that typically they get together and jam until they have a a good number of songs and work from there. With chuckles the writing was done apart from each other and band members would work with dan separately. They would submit parts and ideas to him and he would piece it together.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:50:53 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2018, 05:08:54 PM »
Chuckles is not awful, but it's not that good either.  It has a few songs I still like, and the songs they played live were cool, but it's just such a drop-off when you consider that this is the same band that gave us El Cielo and The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion, both of which are tremendous.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2018, 08:28:13 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2018, 08:39:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/dredg/status/1072186420393988096

Listeners,

Things to come in 2019...

1. dredg box set/scrap book release
2. dredg yard sale
3. dredg records a new record
4. dredg tours all of your favorite cities

Until then, we released some new merchandise - https://dredg.merchnow.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2018, 08:47:15 PM »
Click now to get your Chucky underoos or your Mr. Squeezy cargo pants!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2018, 04:47:21 AM »
I can't wait to hear this new album. I'm interested in the box set as well.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »
I would love a Boxed Set that includes many of the unreleased recordings from Pariah especially. Time Will Tell, Wondrous Miracle, etc.