Author Topic: The human psychology- Human behavior thread  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
The human psychology- Human behavior thread
« on: January 26, 2018, 05:15:01 AM »
Been meaning to make a thread like this for a while. I am fascinated beyond words with psychology and why people do what they do, so here's a thread for anything you notice from day to day that you wanted to share regarding human behavior and what you might think the underlying reason is.  Or just anything psychology wise.

What I wanted to mention is that lately I have been really start to notice body language and my god, it really says it all. Just ever so slight reactions and hesitations speak volumes of what a person is thinking. And I found that I can understand people's perspectives without even asking. Its pretty wild.

So what about you guys. Any interesting in psychology or anything you wanted to talk about?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The human psychology- Human behavior thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 05:50:53 AM »
At the moment, no.  But I'm following the fuck out of this thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 06:16:07 AM »
I am fascinated beyond words with psychology and why people do what they do...
AND

Right there says it all.   But I've been sucked into the black hole that is "Twitter" in recent days, so that could change on a moments notice...

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 06:27:40 AM »
I am fascinated beyond words with psychology and why people do what they do...
AND

Right there says it all.   But I've been sucked into the black hole that is "Twitter" in recent days, so that could change on a moments notice...

I have to look no further than myself to find plenty to discuss....
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 04:44:05 AM »
What I wanted to mention is that lately I have been really start to notice body language and my god, it really says it all. Just ever so slight reactions and hesitations speak volumes of what a person is thinking. And I found that I can understand people's perspectives without even asking. Its pretty wild.

Wanna make some examples? just to get the conversation going
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 06:44:52 AM »
Ok.

Its interesting how we wear different masks as we engage in society. There's a mask we show to our friends, a mask we show at work and a mask we show to a significant other. Personality sometimes fluctuates based on scenario. And more interesting, for me personally this has developed more as I aged.

For example as a teenager, I raged. I wanted the world hear me roar and see me for who I am. To acknowledge my entrance upon the world's stage. Full blast. Now at 30 I have toned all that down and tempered different traits which appreciate who I am talking to. So If I am at work and its a bunch of guys scheduled, then I'm more crude, brash and ball busty. Pharmacists retire very late in age so often I work with women in their 60's and in a natural kind of way I approach them almost like I am talking to my grandmother, just super polite and with respect. And when it gets busy and they help, I make sure to tell them that they "saved the day" and "I was struggling really bad until so and so showed up and was there for me" and I watch their face light up. Its like scratching an itch. Certain people need different places scratched.

I've found that I've been able to get over huge with more and more people by acclimating to their personality types, as well as implementing active listening. Showing that I have invested in them and am engaged in who they are as a person.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 07:21:14 AM »
It's called 'reading the room'.   :lol

But seriously, no one cares more about themselves than themselves.  So, we feel valued when others treat us the way that aligns with the core of who we are as an individual.

You should be in sales.  You'd make a killing.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
It's called 'reading the room'.   :lol

But seriously, no one cares more about themselves than themselves.  So, we feel valued when others treat us the way that aligns with the core of who we are as an individual.

You should be in sales.  You'd make a killing.

And that's really the rub, isn't it.  "...the way that aligns with the core of who we are as an individual".   I don't know if it is wisdom of age - meaning, I notice it more - or a real change over time, but I know in my experience, people are less and less inclined to be honest with themselves, and are more willing to invest in their image of themselves, than the real self.   I'm not suggesting that people should settle or not commit, but there's a way to do it and still be true.   Bruce Springsteen is a great example; he was as honest as one could get, and just put himself out there.   Even the most quote "honest" unquote artists today are still sort of managing the PR of themselves (Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift are both great examples of this). 

I can excuse it as a celebrity, simply because the heat of the spotlight is just overwhelming at times, but really, we have taken it to extremes here, and there are a ton of no-talent, no-ambition, no-skill people that have a deluded sense of self-importance and it's hurting the integrity and the AUTHENTICITY  of our community. 

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »

What I wanted to mention is that lately I have been really start to notice body language and my god, it really says it all. Just ever so slight reactions and hesitations speak volumes of what a person is thinking.

This is a bit of a weird one for me...I developed misleading/misdirecting facial expressions, body language and vocal inflections as a protective measure in my home environment.  I'm gradually coming to understand when those come out, what it looks like to others, and how I can rewire to have the outside be more reflective of the inside.

To the larger point, I've studied enough organizational psych and different personality/behavioral systems that I can pretty quickly understand where someone is coming from and what their (unspoken) concerns are, and can speak to them in a way that will meets them where they are at.  It's not inauthentic or fake, it's more just understanding their wavelength and tuning my approach to match.  As the saying goes, "The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place", and I understand how to manage that...and it has been tremendously valuable.  I'm terribly at intuitively understanding or reading people (I'm a scientist, after all!), but I've learned enough to be able to automatically see what is going on, and act accordingly...it's a learned skill.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »

What I wanted to mention is that lately I have been really start to notice body language and my god, it really says it all. Just ever so slight reactions and hesitations speak volumes of what a person is thinking.

This is a bit of a weird one for me...I developed misleading/misdirecting facial expressions, body language and vocal inflections as a protective measure in my home environment.  I'm gradually coming to understand when those come out, what it looks like to others, and how I can rewire to have the outside be more reflective of the inside.

To the larger point, I've studied enough organizational psych and different personality/behavioral systems that I can pretty quickly understand where someone is coming from and what their (unspoken) concerns are, and can speak to them in a way that will meets them where they are at.  It's not inauthentic or fake, it's more just understanding their wavelength and tuning my approach to match.  As the saying goes, "The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place", and I understand how to manage that...and it has been tremendously valuable.  I'm terribly at intuitively understanding or reading people (I'm a scientist, after all!), but I've learned enough to be able to automatically see what is going on, and act accordingly...it's a learned skill.
That makes sense, as I seem to recall you pointing out some defensive (or perhaps offensive) tendency of mine when we were hanging out once. Creepy fuck.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:13:23 PM »

That makes sense, as I seem to recall you pointing out some defensive (or perhaps offensive) tendency of mine when we were hanging out once. Creepy fuck.  :lol

:lol

That would be pretty out-of-character for me to point something like that out, out of the blue.  I'll blame the Laotian beer (I'm still pissed that place closed).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 05:57:09 AM »
So I was thinking about the "collector" mentality. And I see this happen more in general with bachelor guys, or if they are married its relagated to the mancave. But anyway, I'm interested in what the driving force is that leads to stuff like this:

I see all these pictures where people have basically replicated the toy aisile at walmart in their bedroom. The push to have every single figure or set. I'm curious if there was studies that objectively measured if they are actually happier or not doing this.

And this isn't a criticism. When I was a teenager I was the same way. I HAD to have every single movie I could get my hands on and I had a bunch of star war shit too, but one day I personally felt that I didn't need all that stuff anymore. But to each his own. So this post is absolutely not a criticism, but just an exploration of the underlying psychology.

Thoughts.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 10:08:52 AM »
Investments? Accomplishments? I'm not sure what drives a 'compltionist' mentality, but I see nothing wrong with it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
I don't know what it is about collecting stuff. I've been guilty of it several times in my life.

For example, I love monster trucks. Monster Jam partners with Hot Wheels and makes 1:64 scale replicas of the trucks. I always thought these were really stupid and never understood why people on Facebook have collections into the hundreds.

Anyway, every March is the World Finals in Las Vegas. This year will be my fourth year going.

My favorite driver, Jim Kohler has his Avenger truck;

Every year for Vegas, he does a one off body for the event.

So I decided, as a souvenir, to pick up the limited runs of my favorite truck at every World Finals I've attended. This resulted in me having 3 1:64 scale monster trucks in my cubicle at work. For reasons I can't explain, I now have 30 monster trucks in my cubicle, and the only reason I stopped buying them is because I ran out of room.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 07:29:30 AM »
I've talked about this a little in therapy; it's hit or miss with me.   CDs?   I have probably 15 or more bands where I have every release, just because.  With certain authors, I've read (or tried  to read) every one of their works.   Other things?  Couldn't care less.   I can't figure out what the connector is. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »
I've talked about this a little in therapy; it's hit or miss with me.   CDs?   I have probably 15 or more bands where I have every release, just because.  With certain authors, I've read (or tried  to read) every one of their works.   Other things?  Couldn't care less.   I can't figure out what the connector is.

Oh to be a fly on the wall....  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

Oh to be a fly on the wall....  :lol

There therapist definitely has a therapist after those sesions  ;)

JK, love you Stadler  :-*

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »
The discussions here seem to be more toward social psychology, but the most interesting thing I've come across is the case against free will, and we are all just manifestations of cause and effect.  The main evidence behind that, as far as I can tell, is from experiments showing unconscious brain activity that precedes the conscious "decision" to take an action by several seconds.  It seems the consensus on this is rather low in the neuroscience field so I suppose I shouldn't put so much weight on it, but it is interesting to me.  If this is all true, then it makes irrelevant all questions of "why" when it comes to human behavior (which I think it why it appeals to me).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:17:35 PM by jasc15 »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »
The discussions here seem to be more toward social psychology, but the most interesting thing I've come across is the case against free will, and we are all just manifestations of cause and effect.  The main evidence behind that, as far as I can tell, is from experiments showing unconscious brain activity that precedes the conscious "decision" to take an action by several seconds.  It seems the consensus on this is rather low in the neuroscience field so I suppose I shouldn't put so much weight on it, but it is interesting to me.  If this is all true, then it makes irrelevant all questions of "why" when it comes to human behavior (which I think it why it appeals to me).

This would be profoundly interesting to me, as much of my world-view is predicated on free will, and I feel it would have profound repercussions for us as a society, since I think most of us would have to face our (political) opposition in a new light.   For those that have staked their politics on the notion that, for example, being gay was "they way we're born", how does that person now deal with a racist? 

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »

This would be profoundly interesting to me, as much of my world-view is predicated on free will, and I feel it would have profound repercussions for us as a society, since I think most of us would have to face our (political) opposition in a new light.   For those that have staked their politics on the notion that, for example, being gay was "they way we're born", how does that person now deal with a racist? 

If you don't know who Sam Harris is, check him out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »

I kind of have this situation as well and wondered about it.  I just figured I have a bit of an obsessive and addictive personality.  If I know something gives me happiness in some form, then I get very obsessive with it and it shows up in the form of obsessing over a band for a period of time before I do so for another band that I find to enjoy a lot.  I think I was much worse with this as a kid and obsessing over completing a collection (aka having the entire discography, all b-sides, live albums, everything). 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 05:58:55 AM »
So this caught my eye.

From research done in the 60's, here goes the "mouse utopia" experiment, to study population density and social pathology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z760XNy4VM

So they basically made like an mouse city, where all food, shelter and resources were supplied. And just watched it grow and studied what they observed.

If you've got 8 free minutes, i found it pretty interesting.

And here's a cool little modern day commentary video on the experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgGLFozNM2o

Offline Harmony

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
Making excuses and/or rationalizations.  We all do it.  Some are better at it than others.  https://www.local10.com/news/weird-news/florida-woman-blames-cocaine-in-purse-on-windy-day

"I don't know anything about any cocaine," Posey said, according to the report. "It's a windy day. It must have flown through the window and into my purse." 

While I give it points for creativity, who says that with a straight face?   :rollin

I bet judges and cops hear the best excuses and rationalizations.

What's the best excuse or rationalization that you've used or heard from someone else?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 01:54:10 AM »
Guy who crashed his car blaming his inability to see the car he hit on how foggy it was. When it was pointed out to him that it wasn't foggy at all when the emergency services arrived, he explained that 'the other car was going so fast it blew all the fog away'

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 08:02:42 AM »
Didn't see this thread until now!

I love psychology and I've been studying it for the past few years at my university. I'm in a program that focuses on a more critical psychology grounded in humanistic/transpersonal psychology. It's really awesome stuff, giving the space for self-exploration and human growth and potential.

One thing I've learned about psychology is that I have way more questions than answers at this point :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »
Today I wanted to discuss Munchausen by proxy. This is one of the saddest and most fascinating behaviors I have ever come across.

So just a little background on the issue. Munchausen's syndrome alone is when you pretend to be sick (or legit injure yourself) for attention, but that's involving one person. Munchausen by proxy is far more terrifying, where a parent intentionally makes their child sick so that they can get sympathy and attention.

Here's one hell of a real world example: (The story of Gypsee and Dee Dee)

https://youtu.be/9xzvzP67dS0?t=15

Unfortunately, this type of stuff is still happening today and will continue to happen.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 12:25:36 AM »
People who don't put their shopping carts in the corral. What's up with that?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 05:13:37 AM »
Today I wanted to discuss Munchausen by proxy. This is one of the saddest and most fascinating behaviors I have ever come across.

So just a little background on the issue. Munchausen's syndrome alone is when you pretend to be sick (or legit injure yourself) for attention, but that's involving one person. Munchausen by proxy is far more terrifying, where a parent intentionally makes their child sick so that they can get sympathy and attention.

I wonder what goes on in the head of people behaving like that. Like, how much is deliberate thinking (I assume very little), and how much is compulsory.

I mean, when you like a girl, do you deliberately think loud in your head the words "I have to look better and dress nice"? I don't think so, but when there's a social occasion where you two will be both present, it's kinda authomatic to look up for nice clothes to wear, you don't spell it out in your head "I want to look good".

At the same time, do these people even realize they're actually making their sons sick to get attention, or they just do it because at that time they simply can't help themselves and they do it just like one would naturally feel inclined to put on more clothes when it's too cold?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
I'm finding the ASMR phenomenon pretty fascinating.

For those not sure what it is, its someone making noises with their mouth, usually like white noise, and people are drawn to it. It directly stands for Autonomous sensory meridian response, which creates somewhat of a pleasing sensation to the listener.

Here's an example: Person eating honeycomb (33 million views)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv4y_7VesXM

I wonder if it stems from a psychological source, or if its more of an innate biological kind of thing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
What the hell did I just watch?  People are 'drawn' to this?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2019, 09:48:29 AM »
And in complete seriousness, those sounds are one of the few things that create anxiety in me.  I couldn't listen to more than 30, 45 seconds of that video.   

I was in Florida this weekend, and my dad is hard of hearing, so the TV is always on very loud.  And - in a nice way - I suggested that during one meal we turn the TV off and talk, because I was only there for a couple days.  I didn't take more than three bites and I was like "What the F*** did I do?"  I wanted that TV on so badly, to mask the eating sounds.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2019, 10:05:06 AM »
I listen to AMSR a lot when I fall asleep at night. There is quite the community on YT with many types of sounds that creators use, whether it be soft-spoken vocals, whispered voices, or various sound only videos, like the one posted (that was atrocious). The only ones I enjoy are the soft-spoken ones, and I probably enjoy only 1% of the videos I have come across.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »
I'm finding the ASMR phenomenon pretty fascinating.

For those not sure what it is, its someone making noises with their mouth, usually like white noise, and people are drawn to it. It directly stands for Autonomous sensory meridian response, which creates somewhat of a pleasing sensation to the listener.

Here's an example: Person eating honeycomb (33 million views)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv4y_7VesXM

I wonder if it stems from a psychological source, or if its more of an innate biological kind of thing.

Don't have an answer to this since I don't study phenomenology in that sense, but even people as early as Carl Strumpf tried to study our experience of sound and tone and why we find certain things pleasing (he stuck to music mostly) but this would be a in a similar field. In the end, it's largely subjective and hard to create objective measures or data in that field.
fanticide.bandcamp.com