Author Topic: Magnum - Lost on the Road to Eternity  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Pebsie

Magnum - Lost on the Road to Eternity
« on: January 23, 2018, 05:48:18 AM »
For those who don't know, Magnum is a hard rock (often bordering on metal) group from the UK with all sorts of proggy elements to their songs. They've recently gone through a lineup change with the keyboardist leaving mid way through a tour and their drummer (THUNDER) leaving at the end of the tour but have just put out a new album and are preparing for a huge tour this year.

Anyone here a fan or going to be attending that tour? Thoughts on the new album?  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Magnum - Lost on the Road to Eternity
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 06:11:33 AM »
I will have to check it out. For whatever reason I was not particularly drawn to the older songs, but I've heard all the reunion albums and in each of them there are least 3-4 mindblowing songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »
Only played it once so far but I enjoyed it. I’ve been a fan since I heard Chase The Dragon but lost interest after Goodnight LA went chasing the American chart success (rather than the dragon). I’ve listened to all the reunion albums but none really grabbed me and I didn’t really give them a chance.

It’s not going to live up to the classics but I liked it and look forward to playing it again.

Bob sounds excellent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
I love a lot of their older stuff but really enjoy some of the newer stuff like Princess Arrow and Moonking.  Although after Moonking I thought what they put out was very boring and bland.  I will have to check his new one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »
Big fan of the old stuff, haven't been interested in the reunion stuff to be honest.
They are one of those bands that are past their best and no matter how good the new album is, it's nowhere near the quality of the older classics.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 02:16:19 AM »
Big fan since the mid 80s, they have so many good records. But I still haven't heard the new one.

While I agree that the clasic stuff overall is better that the reunion records, there are still some gems. I especially liked On the 13th Day, almost up there with some of their best, imo. I think the problem with the reunion stuff is, that the music starts to sound kinda samey. The earlier stuff was more varied and adventurous.

I wonder how long they will keep going, they aren't exactly young anymore, but Bob Catley still sounds amazing.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 02:57:16 AM »
Yeah Bob is 71 this year, not sure how long he can go on for, but hell of a good bloke.
I met him a few years ago at Bloodstock when the festival was still at an indoor venue.
Bob was half cut, not performing at the festival, but was mingling with fans and I chatted with him for ages.

Still hoping that the Wings Of Heaven Live VHS will one day get a DVD release.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 03:51:10 AM »
Still hoping that the Wings Of Heaven Live VHS will one day get a DVD release.

When I was getting into the band I watched so much of this release on youtube, it's brilliant.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »
Still got the VHS but nothing to play it on. That version of Back To Earth is 🤘

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
That song is awesome.  I kind of wish that that song was on a full length album instead of just an EP.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »
That song is awesome.  I kind of wish that that song was on a full length album instead of just an EP.

It’s on the remaster of Chase The Dragon now. Which idiot didn’t think it was good enough to make the album though?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »

It’s on the remaster of Chase The Dragon now. Which idiot didn’t think it was good enough to make the album though?

Yeah, I own the remaster so luckily have it all together, but yeah, it's one of their best songs, should have been on a LP.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
Was listening to some songs here and there and it occoured to me that Bob Catley is kind of a "light" Dio, while Ronnie was, well, the dark side of it.

Both are excellent singers who regardless of age and without the need of an excessive range, can convey immense power and emotion through lyrics that in the hands (or vocal chords) of a lesser singer would not sound so powerful and striking, thanks to their masterful interpretation. Bob is on the lighter side of it, and Dio was obviously horns in the air up into the darker stuff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »
Was listening to some songs here and there and it occoured to me that Bob Catley is kind of a "light" Dio, while Ronnie was, well, the dark side of it.

Both are excellent singers who regardless of age and without the need of an excessive range, can convey immense power and emotion through lyrics that in the hands (or vocal chords) of a lesser singer would not sound so powerful and striking, thanks to their masterful interpretation. Bob is on the lighter side of it, and Dio was obviously horns in the air up into the darker stuff.

That's fair.  I can see that.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »
Bob makes even more weird hand gestures than DIO did too 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »

He definitely loves singing with his hands haha.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 01:06:54 AM »

So true  :lol
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D