Author Topic: Looking for new music  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Sixtease

Looking for new music
« on: January 23, 2018, 03:48:30 AM »
Looking for new music. Required criteria:
  • heavy guitar sound
  • danceable
  • rich composition
  • complex drumming & instrumentation
  • positive
  • uplifting

Please nothing too jazzy.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Looking for new music
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:58:06 AM »
Not sure all criterias are met but. Soul Enema- Of Clans and Clones and Clowns is a hidden masterpiece from last year:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0xfWw674c6eOZ2pvHxnBM4?si=vEDhD69XRwalOPvLVk226Q

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:02:56 AM »
Not sure all criterias are met but. Soul Enema- Of Clans and Clones and Clowns is a hidden masterpiece from last year:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0xfWw674c6eOZ2pvHxnBM4?si=vEDhD69XRwalOPvLVk226Q
Thanks man, will give it a try right away!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:08:43 AM »
That could be the first time the word 'danceable' has been written and posted on DTF.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:13:13 AM »
That could be the first time the word 'danceable' has been written and posted on DTF.
...people actually dance to music? I thought you have to process music and analyze it, something wrong with me?

Anyway OP, it's not really danceable but it meets all the other criteria. Check out Homesick and Tin Foil Hats by Astronoid, if you like them check out the whole album "Air". It features the happiest blastbeats known to mankind.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:17:38 AM »
Babymetal.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 04:24:10 AM »
...people actually dance to music? I thought you have to process music and analyze it, something wrong with me?

Seems you're completely sane to me, as you also have to isolate yourself, turn out all the lights, and block out the world around you and analyze every single note and musical passage as well as the lyrics and delivery.  You then need to repeat the same album and relate it to yourself and the life you have lived to this point.  You make a decision where this piece of music will sit in your life and how much of a part it has, if any.  The number of repeated listens is completely subjective as you look for a natural high and drift your mind away into another dimension where the current world around you seems like a seperate entity that you are no longer a part of.

But I guess you could dance too.

Sorry, I haven't slept much lately.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 04:27:52 AM »
DUDE HAKEN
any rock can be made to roll

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 04:32:21 AM »
Karnivool fits all those criteria perfectly! Their music is very groovy despite being rhythmically complex and heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpVpO9uJmqU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhjhvcy7xo
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:49:40 AM by home »
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 04:33:17 AM »

Seems you're completely sane to me, as you also have to isolate yourself, turn out all the lights, and block out the world around you and analyze every single note and musical passage as well as the lyrics and delivery.  You then need to repeat the same album and relate it to yourself and the life you have lived to this point.  You make a decision where this piece of music will sit in your life and how much of a part it has, if any.  The number of repeated listens is completely subjective as you look for a natural high and drift your mind away into another dimension where the current world around you seems like a seperate entity that you are no longer a part of.
WOW :lol you should write a book, that was beautiful. I think I prefer dancing but it really depends on the music, I'm also very much an analyzer/observer both in my music and in real life. Over-thinking/analyzing things is probably my biggest weakness :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 04:33:26 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 06:14:46 AM »

I see you bought the Winger Box Set.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 06:31:49 AM »
Its awesomeness won't allow him to sleep - I can understand that.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »
The Dear Hunter? Not sure how danceable they'd be though

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 06:39:01 AM »
Very hard to recommend without knowing your musical preferences. Do you have a RYM or Last.FM or could you list your most favorite bands, or artists that fit criteria you're looking for (if you know of any already)?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 06:44:44 AM »

This song is their most danceable:

King of Swords (Reversed)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:27 AM »
I was thinking Thank You, Scientist. However, they are quite jazzy!

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 08:41:30 AM »
Thanks a lot guys! I have already found things I like a lot. I need to give everything a few spins to be able to say how much it will satisfy my listening needs.

The current, superficial impression is:

• @SwedishGoose: Soul Enema: Not quite what I was looking for but still a gem! I will definitely dig deeper with this!
  • @Train of Naught: Astronoid: A bit too lyric... it really sounds somewhat astral :-) I prefer arrangements where I can better distinguish individual instruments and vocals. There is so much in the mix that it's almost too much for me. Cool stuff though.
  • @Cyclopssss: Babymetal: I thought "oh c'mon, not this superficial pretentious shit" but I gave them another listen and they're not too bad indeed! I think I'll tell my GF's daughters about them! :-)
  • @Fritzinger: Haken: I'll need more listens to say anything. It's well made but I don't have much of an impression yet.
  • @home: Karnivool: Awesome! That's some really groovy, good-mooded music with sick guitar tone! It's "happy" in a little different direction than I had imagined but still nice fit.
  • @RodrigoAltaf: Oceans of Slumber: WOW! Probably my favorite from the list so far. Love the music, plus the singer is gorgeous.
  • @ganpondorodf: The Dear Hunter: A bit too vintage for me but masterfully done.
  • @twosuitsluke: Thank You Scientist: Sorry, instant Jazz-tolarance overflow. :-) I guess I should harden myself a bit in this respect.
@Kattoelox: There's nothing that I know would fulfill the criteria. I like Dream Theater (obviously) a lot, with some of the related projets, notably Jordan Rudess' solo albums Feeding the Wheel and Rhythm of Time, Then The Whirlwind by Transatlantic and OSI. I love the rough female vocals of Guano Apes' Sandra in the earlier albums. For the positive aspect, I love Rush, and also poppy things like Goldfrapp (Fly me Away), or Michael Jackson (Black or White). I find e.g. The Rockafeller Skank by Fatboy Slim or No Eyes by Claptone utterly danceable... I find Rushings by Moby uplifting as I do At the River or Blue Skies by Groove Armada. It's very hard to unite and I'm really not sure if there's anything that does it. :-)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
Anethema
Big big train
Circa survive
Coheed and cambria
Devin townsend
Dredg
Evergrey
Fate's warning
Living colour
Marillion
Pain of salvation
Porcupine tree
Rx bandits
Thank you scientist
The tangent
Threshold
Thrice
Thursday
Tycho
Vanden plas

If I mentioned anyone that you already listen to or are aware of, my apologies

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 09:03:11 AM »
@Kattoelox: There's nothing that I know would fulfill the criteria. I like Dream Theater (obviously) a lot, with some of the related projets, notably Jordan Rudess' solo albums Feeding the Wheel and Rhythm of Time, Then The Whirlwind by Transatlantic and OSI. I love the rough female vocals of Guano Apes' Sandra in the earlier albums. For the positive aspect, I love Rush, and also poppy things like Goldfrapp (Fly me Away), or Michael Jackson (Black or White). I find e.g. The Rockafeller Skank by Fatboy Slim or No Eyes by Claptone utterly danceable... I find Rushings by Moby uplifting as I do At the River or Blue Skies by Groove Armada. It's very hard to unite and I'm really not sure if there's anything that does it. :-)

Interesting! Just trying to get a feel for what might fit. Do you like Florence + The Machine at all? I think they would be up your alley, although not really heavy on complex guitar or drumming patterns. But there are lots of songs that would fit what you want - maybe All This And Heaven Too or Shake It Out?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »

This song is their most danceable:

King of Swords (Reversed)

That was very much in my head when I posted  :P

I'm trying to think of how Shake it Out by Florence goes, but I'm only getting the similarly titled Taylor Swift song... Shameful; my wife listens to Florence constantly so I should really know it better

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »
Shake it out shake it out, shake it out shake it out, oh whoa
And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off

:)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 09:57:59 AM »
@SwedishGoose: Soul Enema: Not quite what I was looking for but still a gem! I will definitely dig deeper with this!

Cool. They have quickly risen to the top of albums released in 2017 for me...
As independents they need all word of mouth they can get.

They have two albums out. Available from their bandcamp.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 10:40:45 AM »
I'm glad you liked Oceans of Slumber...they have a new album coming out soon!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
For the love of God, listen to Volbeat's Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood album.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 12:43:41 PM »
Gentle Giant - classic prog you can dance to
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
Coheed and cambria
Devin townsend
Rx bandits

A huge +1 for these three. Especially Coheed and Cambria  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:08:43 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 04:54:52 PM »

I see you bought the Winger Box Set.

Not yet, so you won't want to get me started then.  ;D

Its awesomeness won't allow him to sleep - I can understand that.

:metal

Real men understand and love Kip Winger, girly men do not.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »
Looking for new music. Required criteria:
  • heavy guitar sound
  • danceable
  • rich composition
  • complex drumming & instrumentation
  • positive
  • uplifting

Only thing close to all you listed is Umphrey's McGee, their new album recently came out, It's Not Us. But I'm not sure if you'll like it. Just a suggestion

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 05:02:09 AM »
Pretty much describes Meshuggah to me.  :P

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2018, 05:11:09 AM »
Diablo Swing-Orchestra maybe? Check out Pandora's Piñata, that's their best album. My only concern is that maybe they have a liiiittle jazz going on but it's more swing. If not the whole album, Black Box Messiah and Voodoo Mon Amour are good short songs that represent the album pretty well. The best song on the album is the last but it's not as positive and danceable, and a fair bit longer.

Offline JLa

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 06:30:31 AM »
Can you tolerate harsh vocals?

Finntroll!  :biggrin:

Under Bergets Rot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzuxkkGyWQ
Mordminnen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1xUX1iYN-E
En Mäktig Här https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDWITlEF3Q (2:32!!!)
Vindfärd Människopesten https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91j3v94eT_s

Most grrrrrrovy, dancy metal you'll ever hear.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 06:37:53 AM by JLa »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 07:36:51 AM »
I think Neal Morse hits all of those criteria except the heavy guitar sound. Check out Sola Scriptura.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 04:41:38 AM »
Much much appreciation for all the recommendations! <3

I went through all of them. These made it to the list of music to check more deeply:

• Soul Enema
  • Karnivool
  • Anathema
  • Evergrey
  • Tycho
  • Vanden Plas
  • Florence + The Machine

Plus from other sources Alcest and Arcane Roots.

I've known and loved Porcupine Tree and Devin Townsend for awhile.

Finntroll is HILARIOUS! I couldn't listen to it for a long time but I'll have an eye open for gigs and I'll put it on with the right company. Huge thanks for this tip.

I've also known Transatlantic, so Neal Morse is not completely new to me but I wouldn't think Sola Scriptura would have so modern heavy sound. I will give his works a few spins, I have been addicted to The Whirlwind for months.

Once again friends, huge thank you! My horizons widened and I have not a lot of awesomeness to listen to.

And the favorite so far is: Anathema! Thank you Phoenix87x, this is pure gold.  :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Riverside! Their album Anno Domini High Definition is :2metal:. Also Steven Wilson's solo albums and his projects Blackfield (try the first two albums), and No-Man (Flowermouth and Returning Jesus).

Going a bit outside prog but still meeting some of the criteria: Radiohead - Ok Computer, Kate Bush - Hounds of Love, Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring, Sigur Ròs - Agaetis Byrjun and Takk, and definitely Snarky Puppy - Family Dinner Vol. 1.