Author Topic: Slayer Farewell Tour 2018  (Read 4653 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: Slayer Farewell Tour 2018
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »
Metallica was able to do Stadiums in the US cause they packaged with Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat.  I'm not trying to diminish them, they are clearly the best ticket seller in this catagory (well actually Guns N Roses are according to billboard).

Eh, I think you are overvaluing what the openers brought to the table for that tour, respectfully.

Also - GnR isn't metal, so I wasn't even taking them into consideration for this conversation, I was thinking strictly metal bands. They also have the reunion tour factor which is huge for ticket sales.

Avenged Sevenfold is most likely past their prime indeed, but judging from local concerts here it seems like they are playing bigger crowds than a lot of other bands mentioned here in their current state.

These are on a much lower scale, but I just thought it was funny that a band that has gained a lot of popularity the last few years (Gojira) has already been around since before the 2000's, even if they would become one of the bigger acts in metal after the current huge ones died out, they wouldn't be around for that long anymore.

Good call on Gojira - they are one of the "up and coming" metal bands - two things that scare me about that. (1) Like you pointed out, they have been around for a while already, so they really aren't some new thing and (2) if they came to my city in the states (Pittsburgh) they'd probably be playing in a venue (on a package tour with another band to draw) that seats like 2,000 people. If that's the next wave of metal after a band like Metallica hangs it up, the popularity gap is astounding.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Metallica was able to do Stadiums in the US cause they packaged with Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat.  I'm not trying to diminish them, they are clearly the best ticket seller in this catagory (well actually Guns N Roses are according to billboard).

Eh, I think you are overvaluing what the openers brought to the table for that tour, respectfully.

Also - GnR isn't metal, so I wasn't even taking them into consideration for this conversation, I was thinking strictly metal bands. They also have the reunion tour factor which is huge for ticket sales.

Well, Metallica didn't sell out their arena show on the tour.  But granted it was physically and timely close to the NJ show.  But I actually think they are a bigger draw than an arena and not big enough for stadiums alone at this point.  In the US at least.  In Europe they aren't playing as big of venues as they did in the US.  But as TAC said, Metallica also doesn't tour so much anymore so there's a draw for that reason as well.  Lars even mentioned something about not playing NJ in so many years.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »
Well, Metallica didn't sell out their arena show on the tour.  But granted it was physically and timely close to the NJ show.  But I actually think they are a bigger draw than an arena and not big enough for stadiums alone at this point.  In the US at least.  In Europe they aren't playing as big of venues as they did in the US.  But as TAC said, Metallica also doesn't tour so much anymore so there's a draw for that reason as well.  Lars even mentioned something about not playing NJ in so many years.

I thought they did sell out that NJ arena show?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 03:21:19 PM »
It was in long island new york, about 40 miles from metlife, I was able to look up tickets the day of, maybe it did sell out in the end, it was just expensive corner tickets left which I understand why people wouldnt buy those.  The Metlife NJ show didn't sell out either (stadium).  I think we are actually pretty much agreeing although my wording makes it look like Metallica isn't the big draw they are.   

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
Yay, Toronto!!!!

Just got my tix. In order to get the advance sale, I had to pay a $35 Slayer Fan Club fee.  :censored
Selling out fast for Molson Amphitheater.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »
Yay, Toronto!!!!

Just got my tix. In order to get the advance sale, I had to pay a $35 Slayer Fan Club fee.  :censored
Selling out fast for Molson Amphitheater.

I looked at that but passed, not worth joining a fan club for a band that is ending their career.  But also, don't judge the sale of the venue by the presale.  Most tickets are not likely even available to be bought yet.  I expect locally for me, to get a ticket no problem as I don't think this show sells out.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
Actually, I'd say Metallica is the only truly world-wide Metal phenomenon these days.  Yes, Maiden has been successful in headlining major festivals every summer, but they are much bigger in Europe than in N. America, where they can headline arenas and amphitheaters, but not stadiums. 

I'd put them like this:

Metallica:  Stadiums

Maiden/Ozzy: Arenas & Amphitheaters

Slayer/Megadeth/Judas Priest:  Smaller arenas and package tours

Many of the other classic metal bands will headline theaters and clubs (Testament, Anthrax, etc). 

You can throw in a lot of the current popular metal bands in the  category of arenas/amphitheaters, often with package tours.  Bands like these include Disturbed, 5 Finger Death Punch, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.

I think this is spot on, and it's exactly how things play out down here. In fact, all of these bands have or will play in their respective tier within a year.

I don't think this is entirely correct. I think a big part of the draw for Metallica this time around was that it was a stadium tour, with the massive production that entails. Also, the album was pretty popular. Had they just played their normal in the round show at AAC I doubt they'd have sold it out. AV7 most likely sold them some tickets, but not enough to be the difference between a stadium and arena show.

Gojira is a good call (and opened for Met a couple of times), Rammstein is also worth mentioning when discussing this hierarchy. They sell better than Maiden here in the states, and while certainly an old, established band, they're still years behind Metallica, Maiden and Ozzy. I think Tool will also continue to tour well beyond those guys, though it'll probably still be the same 18 or so songs.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »
Are they coming to CT? I didn't see it  :'(

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2018, 08:06:16 AM »

I thought I saw a show at Mohegan Sun.   My guess is in the arena in the limited seating configuration.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
Love Slayer and have never seen them. The only way I would have even entertained the idea of going to the farewell show is if Dave was there. I've never been a big fan of Paul. He's always come across as a bit sloppy to me. Plus, Dave is one of my favorites. I'm just in love with his style and playing.

The guys put out 2 really great albums to close out their career so, for me, they are going out on top. World Painted Blood and Repentless are records that I still listen to regularly.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »
The only way I would have even entertained the idea of going to the farewell show is if Dave was there.

Agreed. Too bad they can't work out the differences to make it happen.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 05:15:53 AM »

I thought I saw a show at Mohegan Sun.   My guess is in the arena in the limited seating configuration.

Yes it is at Mohegan. Too bad because every show there sounds terrible and the setup blows.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 06:52:10 AM »
Got an email for a groupon for this concert for lawn seats, before the general sale starts today.... I thought that was odd. But it was a good discount, 23 bucks no fees.  I bought one.  Might still try to get an actual seat with my friends but got this as a cheap back up if my friends fall through and I'm sure I could sell it since the ticket is currently listed at $75 after fees on ticketmaster.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »
$75 for lawn?? Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
$75 for lawn?? Wow!

Seems that was the presale price, they are now 41 for the lawn.  Still, 23 sounds good to me. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
Pictures!!

I saw Slayer a half dozen times back in the day from The South Of Heaven tour through Divine Intervention.
One of my favorite shows was during a run of club dates in September 1990 before the Seasons In The Abyss tour officially kicked off.
I saw the show in Boston at The Channel. I didn't take any pictures, but here are some pics of my shirt from the show and Jeff Hanneman's pick.

February 9, 1991
The Orpheum, Boston

July 6, 1991
Great Woods, Mansfield, Ma

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »
Nice! I remember when they played at Lake Compounce in CT. That was an awesome show!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2018, 05:03:53 AM »
Was there last night in Toronto. What a show, what a lineup.
Finally got to see one of my faves, Testament. They went on at 5:00pm. Skolnick making it look like childsplay.
Behemoth didn't go down too well with the crowd, but the theatrics were kinda cool.
Anthrax nailed it with Joey providing the best vocals of the night. A treat to see Gene Hoglan filling in for Charlie.
Lamb of God. Pretty good show, with Randy Blythe providing much of the entertainment.
Slayer. Great set list. Great playing. Lots of fire. Seemed a bit sad to see Tom (always my favorite member of Slayer) at the end of the show, standing on the stage for at least 5 min, staring into the sold out crowd, taking it all in.
With all these bands, definitely worth going.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2018, 07:13:24 AM »
I wish I could have gone - what a stellar lineup of bands.  The videos that I saw from the Chicago show looked fantastic.

I saw Testament three times on the Formation tour cycle, and Alex does make playing guitar look so easy.  Never have seen Anthrax, Behemoth, or a full LOG set (caught one song at Ozzfest 2004).  I just have to settle knowing that I saw the original Slayer lineup before Jeff died, which does make me feel better about not going. 

LOG, Anthrax and Testament scheduled a club show in Milwaukee later this fall.  If I can win tickets to it through the club's email contest, I may attend.   :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »
Nice, going to this show on Saturday and really looking forward to catching all 5 bands.  :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
I bought RiB when it came out and my brain had absolutely no clue what the fuck had just hit it. :lol They basically created modern extreme metal and NOBODY (including themselves) ever bettered that album, imho.

I can't listen to anything much past Divine Intervention, tho. Delighted they are calling it a day. The resultant face-palmery from the lyrics of the last couple of decades has been pretty tough to bear.  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
Sick concert last Saturday.  We lucked out as it never rained but was bummed we got there too late to miss Testament, I was looking forward to checking them out.  I blame this guy who is my friends fiance's brother who while pregaming was very adament that the show wouldn't start until 6 even though the venue specifically gave us all the set times with the first band at 5pm sharp.  Kind of hard to get a bunch of guys to stop boozing to leave when no one really cared about seeing Testament.  Luckily that's all we missed.  When we got there the venue was already packed and we had a crappy view from the lawn.  Didn't take away from the fun.  I must say this type of metal (thrash) isn't really my thing, but I thought all 4 bands brought something unique and fun to the show.  Anthrax was a lot of fun and Lamb of God was really good.  Other than Slayer having a lot of pyros, I found I enjoyed Anthrax/Lamb of God more.  They brought a lot of energy.  Maybe it was just a full day of boozing that lead a lot of people to be more chilled for Slayer.  Also security was everywhere monitoring the mosh pits, and stopping them when they got too big.  I really hate it when that happens, but got to say, no one died (this venue had issues in the past with people dying from too much alcohol on these long metal concerts) so hard to complain about security doing their thing.

Ill admit this is not one of my better videos (I didn't have a great view) but definitely gives a solid representation of the shit show that was this concert (we also had to miss the end of Slayer because my friend shat his pants and was puking)

Slayer/Lamb of God/Anthrax/Behemoth - Live @ PNC Bank Arts Center New Jersey

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2018, 04:50:11 AM »
cramx3. You know it's a great rock show when someone shits their pants. :rollin

Agreed. Although Slayer was badass, Anthrax stole the show. Also, Joey is still an amazing singer and Jon Donais is the best lead guitarist Anthrax has ever had.
Regarding Testament, it was 5:00pm with the sun still shining brightly and the place half empty. But they played like they were at a sold out Madison Square Garden. That's professional right there.

Security at this outdoor venue was pretty chill. Huge moshpit, I even saw some crutches flying around. Although it's a non-smoking venue, you could smell plenty of weed.