Author Topic: Slayer Farewell Tour 2018  (Read 4655 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Slayer Farewell Tour 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »
Well, I always take these "last" tours with a grain of salt...

Maybe this could be an idea for a thread, "Bands that announced a final tour and actually meant it"  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
I can see it being a reality, but sure, lots of bands do final tours and then come back.  Or sometimes do a final tour but still do one off shows.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »
Over the past few years, Tom has been very open about not wanting to tour anymore.  Maybe they'd do one off shows at some festivals, but I really see this as Slayer's last big trek around the world.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what the official tour announcement says as far as the finality of things.  So far it's just a short video indicating their intent and a confirmation of the bands.

Either way, it sucks to see your favorite bands start to wind things down and retire.  I'm glad I saw the original lineup on the American Carnage tour in 2010 before Dave was kicked out and Jeff died.  That was a great way to say goodbye, especially because Seasons was the first Slayer record that I had ever heard and owned.  To see it played live was really cool.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »
Yeah, I'll be seeing this tour. They're touring with LoG, Testament and Anthrax.
Saw Slayer in Toronto for the Clash of the Titans tour in 1991. It was awesome.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »
Cue "The Entrance of the Gladiators".  :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
That's a big metal icon stepping down, sad to see but the last album was a pretty good one to go out on if they are stopping everything altogether.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:59:36 PM »
Saw Slayer (and Motorhead) at Mayhem 4 or 5 years ago.  I wasn't a huge fan of either but was happy not to have to add them both to the list of bands I wished I'd seen.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »
They were the first band I ever saw (with Gojira and Mastodon, killer show) and if they come again, I'll go for sure even though I don't listen to them that much. They had a hell of a career :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 04:37:39 PM »
That is one hell of a lineup too, with Lamb of God, Anthrax, Behemoth and Testament.  I'd definitely be down for this show if they played Atlanta, perhaps at the Infinity Arena. 

It's a shame that this is their final tour, but they're a band that has never disappointed live, and I'd be interested in seeing what songs they bring out.  Let's hope they don't just do a "hits" tour and dig deep into their catalog,. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
I knew it waa coming. Because Tom has his Spinal Injury, and what not.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 04:31:46 AM »
Count me in for this show if theyīre here in Toronto. Itīs about time they retire, and I hope itīs true, unlike Priest, Kiss, Sabbath, Scorpions etc. I saw them sandwiched between Ghost and Maiden in 2013, and they seemed to be going through the motions already. Tom is now a family man and wants to spend more time at home with his family - he said he didnīt have a chance to watch his sons grow, and wants to be closer to them now. Fair enough!!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 05:11:07 AM »
Cue "The Entrance of the Gladiators".  :)

I like that. Funny thing is, all bands from Clash of... are still here and doing pretty good. Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax and Alice in Chains.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:28 AM »
Nice, Saturday June 2nd in my backyard, PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ.  I'm not crazy into any of these bands, but sounds like a show I should attend and being so close to home on a Saturday, I will be there.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 08:18:55 AM »
If Anthrax were the band before Slayer I'd probably check it out. Seeing Anthrax and then waiting through LoG doesn't sound particularly appealing, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 08:33:41 AM »
I saw Lamb of God open for Gwar about 17 years ago, wasn't a fan then nor now, but all my friends love them.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 10:09:09 AM »
Damn.  Doesn't look like they're playing Atlanta, unless there they haven't announced all of the N America dates. 

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 10:32:31 AM »
Damn.  Doesn't look like they're playing Atlanta, unless there they haven't announced all of the N America dates.

YO, what part of town are you in?  I'm in Towne Lake (Woodstock).  Not many Atlantans here on DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 10:37:47 AM »

YO, what part of town are you in?  I'm in Towne Lake (Woodstock).  Not many Atlantans here on DTF.

I used to live in Lawrenceville, and worked in Duluth.   I was about  three miles from the courthouse  in front of which Larry Flynt was shot and paralyzed. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
Yay, Toronto!!!!

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »

I used to live in Lawrenceville, and worked in Duluth.   I was about  three miles from the courthouse  in front of which Larry Flynt was shot and paralyzed.

Not exactly Slayer (or metal/rock in general) territory here.  Hip Hop and country rule.  G3 plays 4 or 5 shows in FL and we get nothing.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 10:48:22 AM »
Sadly skipping this tour, and likely all other badass tours for the next few years due to budget constraints.  $80 for a seat in the amphitheater, on a Friday.  As much as I love every band on the bill, it's just not in the cards for me right now.   :|

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
While this doesn't really come as a surprise, since the band is quite old already and has had some difficult line-up changes over the last couple years, it's still pretty weird to see such an iconic metal band step down. There's lots of 'headliner'-type bands that are probably nearing the end in a similar fashion. It will surely be an interesting thing to see develop. I mean, what happens when the Metallica's, Megadeth's, Slayer's & Iron Maiden's all stop existing? Who will fill in?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 12:12:50 PM »
Good question, I wonder if fans will flock to other metal bands or if the genre just dies a little?  There's definitely big metal bands out there, but are those bands going to be able to grow as big as the bands that are retiring?  I feel like we really don't have a whole lot of metal bands that are becoming national hits anymore.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 12:17:04 PM »
While this doesn't really come as a surprise, since the band is quite old already and has had some difficult line-up changes over the last couple years, it's still pretty weird to see such an iconic metal band step down. There's lots of 'headliner'-type bands that are probably nearing the end in a similar fashion. It will surely be an interesting thing to see develop. I mean, what happens when the Metallica's, Megadeth's, Slayer's & Iron Maiden's all stop existing? Who will fill in?

To a large degree, no one. To me, those bands represent the last truly huge metal acts. Personally, I think there's a ton of great modern metal bands, but none have had the ability to break through like a Maiden or Metallica. I think most of that has to do with the current state of the industry, but I think some of it might have to do with the artists themselves as well.

Good question, I wonder if fans will flock to other metal bands or if the genre just dies a little?  There's definitely big metal bands out there, but are those bands going to be able to grow as big as the bands that are retiring?  I feel like we really don't have a whole lot of metal bands that are becoming national hits anymore.

I don't know if those fans will flock to other metal bands. Bands like Maiden and Metallica brought in a lot of casuals along with the die-hards. I don't see those casuals transitioning over to some new metal band, in general.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »
I think we should look at second billed bands in big festivals, and top bill bands at smaller festivals to get an idea, merely on cold numbers, of who could become the next "biggest act". In terms of worldwide exposure and recognition, I don't know however if there'll be another Maiden or Metallica.

In Italy there'll be a festival in June, and Ozzy is headlining, and Avenged Sevenfold are second, before Judas Priest. Yeah, I died a little in typing that, Priest have to play before Avenged Sevenfold. Maybe they'll be the next big thing, but they're already very divisive now, I don't see them conquering the orphans of the biggest acts once they'll all be retired.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
Am I the only one saying "Hold up, Henrietta.   Maiden and Metallica, sure, but Megadeth and Slayer are not on that level."  They may headline, but headlining smaller arenas - with a significant undercard - is not the same thing as headlining a stadium with no record and one opening act. 

We're in the middle of it, but in five, ten years time we'll have our answer. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 12:36:08 PM »
Yea, there is a separation but this is essentially that next level below those huge bands.  If the top and the next level retire, who keeps metal going? 

I saw that as well with Avenged, they may be the next biggest band, but they I don't know if they can reach the heights of those top bands.  Seems they are already so far into their career to boom to a stadium act.  You never know, but I feel it's going to have to come from a band that is new or doesn't yet exist.  Which makes me wonder if one will ever even come along that will be the next Metallica

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
Am I the only one saying "Hold up, Henrietta.   Maiden and Metallica, sure, but Megadeth and Slayer are not on that level."  They may headline, but headlining smaller arenas - with a significant undercard - is not the same thing as headlining a stadium with no record and one opening act. 

Oh I totally agree. Metallica just did a successful stadium tour run in the states. What other metal act could do that in the states now a days? It's definitely Metallica and Maiden with a huge gap down to bands like Slayer and Megadeth.

Yea, there is a separation but this is essentially that next level below those huge bands.  If the top and the next level retire, who keeps metal going? 

I saw that as well with Avenged, they may be the next biggest band, but they I don't know if they can reach the heights of those top bands.  Seems they are already so far into their career to boom to a stadium act.  You never know, but I feel it's going to have to come from a band that is new or doesn't yet exist.  Which makes me wonder if one will ever even come along that will be the next Metallica

I don't see Avenged getting any bigger than they already have been. From where I sit, they are a band that has already hit their prime and are probably on the other side of it already.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »
Actually, I'd say Metallica is the only truly world-wide Metal phenomenon these days.  Yes, Maiden has been successful in headlining major festivals every summer, but they are much bigger in Europe than in N. America, where they can headline arenas and amphitheaters, but not stadiums. 

I'd put them like this:

Metallica:  Stadiums

Maiden/Ozzy: Arenas & Amphitheaters

Slayer/Megadeth/Judas Priest:  Smaller arenas and package tours

Many of the other classic metal bands will headline theaters and clubs (Testament, Anthrax, etc). 

You can throw in a lot of the current popular metal bands in the  category of arenas/amphitheaters, often with package tours.  Bands like these include Disturbed, 5 Finger Death Punch, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, etc. 

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »

I live in Duluth.  I caught Slayer a couple of years ago at the Rockstar ENergy Mayhem tour, co-headlining with King Diamond.  Ticket sales were fairly poor as they didn't even open the main parking lot at the Lakewood Amitheater.   Still, it was one hell of a show. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
Metallica was able to do Stadiums in the US cause they packaged with Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat.  I'm not trying to diminish them, they are clearly the best ticket seller in this catagory (well actually Guns N Roses are according to billboard).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
Actually, I'd say Metallica is the only truly world-wide Metal phenomenon these days.  Yes, Maiden has been successful in headlining major festivals every summer, but they are much bigger in Europe than in N. America, where they can headline arenas and amphitheaters, but not stadiums. 

I'd say Maiden is a world wide metal phenomenon too. But they tour a lot more often.

Metallica's limited touring schedule really creates a supply/demand issue. It had been 8 1/2 years between shows here. And the 3rd time in 15 years. You figure it will probably be another 5 or 6 years easy before they come back. That's a big reason why these crowd sizes are up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
Avenged Sevenfold is most likely past their prime indeed, but judging from local concerts here it seems like they are playing bigger crowds than a lot of other bands mentioned here in their current state.

These are on a much lower scale, but I just thought it was funny that a band that has gained a lot of popularity the last few years (Gojira) has already been around since before the 2000's, even if they would become one of the bigger acts in metal after the current huge ones died out, they wouldn't be around for that long anymore.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 02:39:18 PM »

I'd put them like this:

Metallica:  Stadiums

Maiden/Ozzy: Arenas & Amphitheaters

Slayer/Megadeth/Judas Priest:  Smaller arenas and package tours

Many of the other classic metal bands will headline theaters and clubs (Testament, Anthrax, etc). 

You can throw in a lot of the current popular metal bands in the  category of arenas/amphitheaters, often with package tours.  Bands like these include Disturbed, 5 Finger Death Punch, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.

I fully cop to this potentially being a regional issue, but in my experience:

Metallica
Maiden
Ozzy/Priest
Slayer/Anthrax/Megadeth/A7X
Disturbed (now)/Five Finger.../Korn

In that order.  I wouldn't fist fight anyone if they put Korn in the next line up.