Author Topic: "The Astonishing": A Story of Faythe and Love, the abridged version  (Read 1281 times)

Offline lilces19

One of the criticisms of DT's latest album is that it's length makes it a "chore" to listen to.  As a result, I have decided to make a playlist of an abridged version that focuses on the love between Faythe and Gabriel.  There are some real gems on this album (esp. in Act 1) so I also highlighted many of those on this list.  For those who have completely digested this album, I know there are some plot lines missing but those who want the whole story can listen to the whole album or just buy the book.  Here we go:

17 songs, 1 hour 8 minutes

1. Descent of the NOMACS: the year is 2285, creativity and musicality is lost.  Noise machines known as NOMACS are the sole source of "music" in this dystopian society.

2. Dystopian Overture: this track presents musical themes throughout this playlist.

3. Gift of Music: intro to a dystopian world; oppressed people who no longer desire to express creativity, the only music they know is the NOMACS music.  We learn there is a "Chosen One" who brings hope to the people.

4. Lord Nafaryus: intro to the evil ruler of this land.  He has caught wind of the "Chosen One" and is interested/concerned about his presence.  He wishes to travel to the small town of Ravenskill to meet this person.  We learn Nafaryus has a wife, a son and a daughter, Faythe.

5. A Better Life: intro to the "Chosen One's" older brother, Aryhs, who is his biggest supporter and leader of the Ravenskill Rebel Militia, that is formed to oppose the Lord's oppressive regime.  We learn that Aryhs had a wife, Evangeline, who passed away while giving birth to their son, Xander.

6. Machine Chatter: more awful NOMACS music dominates the landscape.

7. A Savior in the Square: Gabriel, the "Chosen One", gathers at Ravenskill Town Square to sing an uplifting song to an oppressed people.  Lord Nafaryus arrives and, with hesitation, Gabriel continues to sing in his presence.  Faythe is mesmerized by Gabriel's talent.....

8. When Your Time Has Come: Gabriel continues to sing...Gabriel and Faythe lock eyes, they are falling in love.

9. Three Days: Although Nafaryrus is moved by Gabriel's song, he sees him as a threat to this rule.  He orders that Gabriel gives himself up in 3 days or the town of Ravenskill will be destroyed.

10. Act of Faythe: Faythe laments the conditions the people of Ravenskill live in.  She realizes that she has been sheltered from this aspect of society; she feels isolated in the kingdom.  We learn that Faythe finds solace in music from a digital music player that she found years ago.

11. A Life Left Behind: Faythe wants to be reunited with Gabriel; she must sneak out of the kingdom to head back to Ravenskill.  Her mother discovers her plan but lets her leave anyway as she sees that the idea of being with Gabriel makes Faythe happy.

12. Ravenskill: Faythe returns to Ravenskill to reunite with Gabriel and bring help to the land.  She meets Gabriel's nephew, Xander, who leads her to Gabriel's location.

13. The Hovering Sojourn

14. A New Beginning: Faythe does her best to convince Lord Nafayrus to meet with Gabriel and help the people of Ravenskill.  Faythe discovers that the digital music player she has used to be her father's.  She reveals this to her father....Lord Nafayrus agress to meet Gabriel.

15. Astonishing: Lord Nafaryus listened to Gabriel and the people; he has decided to be a fair leader.  He no longer wishes to be an oppressive person.  Peace is restored.

16. Our New World: Gabriel and Faythe, now together, will start a new world, without oppression and prosperous.

17. Power Down: Lord Nafaryus, now forever changed, orders his guards to shut down the NOMACS for good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: "The Astonishing": A Story of Faythe and Love, the abridged version
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:18:29 PM »
I was going to consolidate this with one of the other "TA playlist" threads.  But this is pretty unique, so I'll let it stand for awhile and see if it generates any discussion.  Pretty cool idea, honestly.  It leaves off some of my favorite tracks, but does so for the sake of preserving a pretty clear unifying theme, which is cool.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:27:45 PM »
I may try to listen to this version.  It kept the only three songs I like so maybe one of these days I'll give it a try and see if it opens any new doors for me

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:35:04 PM »
My abridged version only has 8 songs in common with the OP. The OP also basically ignores the second disc.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 11:52:48 AM »
Nefaryus' character development is fuelled entirely by his love for his daughter.
Without her "death" I'm not so sure he'd change so quickly. If all it took for an oppressive dictator to change his entire ruling system was for someone to play him some guitar... well, he'd have changed his mind in When Your Time Has Come making the whole album only 11 songs long! :P

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »
You're missing out a mahoosive chunk between Nafaryus and Gabriel agreeing to meet and peace being restored. You need to explain how that transformation happens. Which is something the original album does majestically. It's perfect as it is.