Author Topic: JP G3 2018  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Anxiety35

JP G3 2018
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:16:11 PM »
Has anyone seen G3 with JP yet? If not, here's an awesome video with an unknown intro and then...Jaws of Life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XB7McL08YI

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: JP G3 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:44:33 PM »
Yes.  There is a thread here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=51553.0

And it isn't "unknown."  Seen any good superhero movies this year?  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:25:08 PM »
My bad. I didn't look in the general music discussion.

Carry on.  :)

Offline DT1138

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
I'll be seeing the G3 show in Chicago at the end of next month.  I've tried not to watch these clips, but I can never resist Jaws of Life.   ;D ;D

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »
G3 tonight in St. Pete with Mrs. Hammy and the the two piglettes.   :metal

Offline DT1138

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 04:13:57 PM »
The Chicago show was awesome.  I did the meet and greet, and all 3 guys were really cool.  The performances were top notch, and I came away with a new respect for Phil Collen.  The only minor issues were at the pre-meet stage tour, we could visit Joe Satriani's side (left side from audience perspective) but not the other side.  I could see Maddi (JP's tech) on the phone scrambling with something.  And the other super minor issue was that JP's guitar was so loud during the 3 jams songs at the end of the show that when he played he nearly drowned out everyone else on the stage.  I  could hear his guitar sound thru the twin Mesa 4x12 cabs vs the main mix, so there must have been some issue with the mics on the cabs or something.  In fact at one point, JP faced Maddi and he tapped one of the Mesa Cabs and then pointed toward the floor in a "turn it down" motion.

But the best thing to me was during the meet and greet, I was standing in line to get the autographs and later the photo with the guys.  A very young, but extremely cool security guy (who had no clue who any of the G3 guys were) asked me the following:

Security Guy:  "Who is that guy with the beard?"
Me:  "That's John Petrucci of Dream Theater.  Why do you ask?"
Security Guy:  "Oh, well he was trying to get into the theater and I wouldn't let him in because he didn't have his pass and I had no idea who he was.  He had to call someone to get access."

A Spinal Tap moment if there ever was one   ;) :D ;) :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
Security Guy:  "Who is that guy with the beard?"
Me:  "That's John Petrucci of Dream Theater.  Why do you ask?"
Security Guy:  "Oh, well he was trying to get into the theater and I wouldn't let him in because he didn't have his pass and I had no idea who he was.  He had to call someone to get access."

A Spinal Tap moment if there ever was one   ;) :D ;) :D
:lol More like Last Time in Paris:

Overslept, missed the bus to the show
Had to find my own ride.

Took the metro out to Avignon.
Man at the backstage, didn't know my name.
I said "hey, I'm with the band, man!"
"Yeah, you and everyone today."
What is this guy new?

15 minutes fly,
Someone sees me.
Inside let me go.
"Hey Geoff, we need a photo
Before the show!"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evai

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 07:16:46 AM »
Hmm. What if Petrucci had stuck to the same image for his whole career? Would he be more recognisable?  :corn
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
I wonder if JP is gonna stick to his current image from now on? Also, I hope one of the G3 shows gets filmed for a possible release..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
JP's look from the ToT-era was my favourite, the current look is my least favourite after his Village People facial hair from the FII era.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »
I’m surprised petruccis guitar was loud because for me it was Satrianis guitar that made my ears hurt lol Satriani was so loud and pitchy I heard people saying “ouch” when he would start soloing. But funny story about petrucci not being able to go into the venue.

And as for his looks? I hate his current style. I keep hoping he would at least shave off the beard. ToT was definitively his cleanest look.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline DT1138

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 05:11:04 PM »
I wonder if JP is gonna stick to his current image from now on? Also, I hope one of the G3 shows gets filmed for a possible release..

At the Chicago show, they had two mics on each side of the stage pointed at the audience, so I assume that was to pickup crowd noise if they were recording the audio but they did not mention if the show was being recorded, however. I did not see any official/professional video cameras being used either.

And as for his looks? I hate his current style. I keep hoping he would at least shave off the beard. ToT was definitively his cleanest look.

Totally agree, it just looks unkempt at this point. My girlfriend hates his beard with a passion as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:35:47 PM by DT1138 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »
As someone with a beard who regularly gets commentary from others on it (without asking), so what? Let the man keep his beard if he wants. Nobody seemed to have a problem with MP's ridiculous turquoise chin tail  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline PetFish

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 11:18:16 PM »
Nobody is telling him to get rid of it or that he can't keep it if he wants.  People are allowed to express their personal opinions on preferences on just about everything.

Relax.

In one of the commentary tracks JP mentioned how great it was to not have hair in the way all the time so even he like(s/ed) short hair.  I think the next look to try would be short top but bushy beard, which would be easy enough to try at this point.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 06:04:51 AM »
Yeah, maybe he should shave his head like Jordan.

*sigh*, DT really needs to release something.  Seems like we get to this place at the low point in between releases every time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 07:45:44 AM »
Nobody is telling him to get rid of it or that he can't keep it if he wants.  People are allowed to express their personal opinions on preferences on just about everything.

Relax.

In one of the commentary tracks JP mentioned how great it was to not have hair in the way all the time so even he like(s/ed) short hair.  I think the next look to try would be short top but bushy beard, which would be easy enough to try at this point.

Well, first, I'm perfectly relaxed - we're talking about a beard, bro.  :lol But take a look at literally any post DT makes on their Facebook that has a picture of John Petrucci and you'll see a deluge of comments talking shit about JP's appearance as if they're his makeup artists before going on stage, it's pretty funny, demanding he remove the beard etc. as if that has anything to do with his playing. Guy could be bald as Satriani, wouldn't matter a lick of spit in the end!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 10:49:59 AM »
Guy could be bald as Satriani, wouldn't matter a lick of spit in the end!
[/quote]

:biggrin:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 01:24:47 AM »

Relax.

Well, first, I'm perfectly relaxed - we're talking about a beard, bro.  :lol But take a look at literally any post DT makes on their Facebook that has a picture of John Petrucci and you'll see a deluge of comments talking shit about JP's appearance as if they're his makeup artists before going on stage, it's pretty funny, demanding he remove the beard etc. as if that has anything to do with his playing. Guy could be bald as Satriani, wouldn't matter a lick of spit in the end!

Agree with all of this, Kattoelox. And being a bearded gentleman myself, BEARDS FOR THE WIN, GODDAMMIT!!!  :metal

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 07:03:40 AM »

Relax.

Agree with all of this, Kattoelox. And being a bearded gentleman myself, BEARDS FOR THE WIN, GODDAMMIT!!!  :metal

B.Lee

Count me in for the DTF bearded club :metal :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »

Relax.

B.Lee

Yes! We're 3 now, soon a million! A liitle optimistic, I know... :rollin

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
Representing :metal :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 08:54:17 AM »

Relax.

B.Lee

B.Lee

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »

Proudly clean shaven, thankyouverymuch!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 03:23:04 AM »

Relax.

B.Lee

B.Lee

How could I forget? Our Bosk is part of the Beardtastic Four as well!

B.Lee

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 04:42:55 AM »
As JR would say, I'm not doing very well in the beard competition.  ;D

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
How do we break it to JP that the verses to Cloud Ten are exactly the same melody to Scotty Doesn't Know from Eurotrip? Someone should tell him before he records the album. 😆
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline PetFish

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 10:49:13 PM »
This was discussed when he played this on the previous G3 tour and since he hasn't changed it I doubt he will before recording it.

Maybe he *really* doesn't know.  Next time someone is able to chat with him they should ask him about the riff and get an answer.