Author Topic: Album Title Tracks released AFTER said album?  (Read 759 times)

Offline The Letter M

Album Title Tracks released AFTER said album?
« on: January 19, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
So I've started listening to ELP again, and was reminded that the track "Brain Salad Surgery" was released after the album Brain Salad Surgery, which reminded me of songs like Led Zeppelin's "Houses Of The Holy" or Queen's "Sheer Heart Attack".

What are some other instances of this happening to a band, where they have a song named after their album, or vice versa, but that song doesn't come out on that album, but is put on a future release?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Album Title Tracks released AFTER said album?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
Not quite the same vein but Anathema released a song named Anathema like 20 years into their career

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 11:46:02 AM »
Rage has an album from 1989 called Secrets in a Weird World, which wasn't used for a song title only until 2003. The excuse was a recurring theme tied to their mascot, the skull of a biomechanical creature called Soundchaser, which was the actual name of the 2003 album.

Savatage also came close to this more than once since the play that gave the name to the Streets album (1991) was called Gutter Ballet, which became the title track of their 1989 release. And in 1994 a song, Symmetry, has a line that goes "Poets and Madmen" which is the title of their last (2001) album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »
Vader (polish death metal band) released the Necropolis album in 2009, but the song Necropolis was a bonus track on Tibi Et Igni, which was released in 2014.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 12:42:47 PM »
AC/DC-If You Want Blood, You've Got It
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »
So I've started listening to ELP again, and was reminded that the track "Brain Salad Surgery" was released after the album Brain Salad Surgery, which reminded me of songs like Led Zeppelin's "Houses Of The Holy" or Queen's "Sheer Heart Attack".

I jumped right into this thread...and ...... you took the two examples I knew of. :sad:
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »
This is slightly different but pretty close,

Less Than Jake had an album called Losing Streak, I am pretty sure they recorded the song Losing Streak with the album, but it didn't come out till later as a B-side.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 01:50:59 PM »
King Crimson's album Starless and Bible Black had a title instrumental, but then on the following album Red, we have Starless, which includes the line "Starless and Bible black".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »
Def Leppard:  The song On Through the Night appeared on High 'N' Dry, released after their debut album On Through the Night.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 02:03:07 PM »
Def Leppard:  The song On Through the Night appeared on High 'N' Dry, released after their debut album On Through the Night.

:metal

Yes! So obvious!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Dammit.  I came in once to say "Zep!" and "Queen!".  They were already mentioned.  Then I came back in to say "AC/DC!" and "Def Lep!" and sure enough, they were already mentioned.   I'll be back in a couple hours to hopefully see my next offering already listed.  :)

Actually, before I go, I have one, sort of:

In '96, Kiss put out a live compilation called "You Wanted The Best!".  In '98, they put out Psycho Circus, which had a song called "You Wanted The Best!" on it.   Both are a take-off of the long-time Kiss opening announcement:  "You wanted the best, you got the best.  The hottest band in the world, KISS!" Bah-nu-nah-nu-nah-nu, nu-nu-nah, nu-nu-nah! (that's Deuce for those that can't figure it out).

Online DTA

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 02:16:36 PM »
The band Kaddisfly had sort of the opposite situation where the last few track titles on their first album became the title of their 2nd and 3rd albums.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:20 AM »
Paradise Lost released an album called Shades of God in 1992, and 3 years later they had a track with the same title on Draconian Times.