Author Topic: Dio Hologram Tour. Thoughts?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Dio Hologram Tour. Thoughts?
« on: January 19, 2018, 06:49:58 AM »
Saw a clip of this on YouTube. Dio hologram preforming Heaven and Hell. Does anyone else think this is as ridiculous and silly as I do? I can't imagine watching a concert of musicians playing music out in front of a hologram of a deceased singer. The audience seemed quite underwhelmed and rightly so.
No thanks.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline kaos2900

Re: Dio Hologram Tour. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:10 AM »
I created another thread about the planned Frank Zappa hologram.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50913.msg2358482#msg2358482

I think this trend is despicable and nothing but a cash grab, especially in the Frank Zappa case since every Zappa other than Dwezil doesn't seem to give a shit about Frank's musical legacy.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 07:08:45 AM »
Saw too the clips and it made me very sad.

When they done it in Wacken it was ok - the biggest festival of the world, you do this for ONE song as a special occasion, a reminder of how things used to be, and that was fine. An entire tour of musicians playing in sing to a pre-recorded tape while an animation plays on a screen... just as you said, no thanks.

Since I didn't care for the situation, I didn't fully grasp the details - I thought the footage was a live one, but no... it's completely recreated. You don't even see an actual performance of Dio, you hear the voice and then the movements are completely recreated at the computer for the hologram, which is programmed to mimic Dio.

I don't want to see nor Dio nor anybody else this way. Not even Freddie Mercury with the other original Queen members. Let's hope this fails and that the idea of an hologram doesn't become widespread.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 07:15:42 AM »
I think its pretty lame. Let the dead rest.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 07:20:13 AM »
If it was something where if they did it a couple times as a tribute I would've thought it was kinda cool. Not sure how I feel about an entire tour based around it though. Looks kinda exploitative.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
I'm really down on this.  I got it when Queen had Fred piped in singing the first part of "BoRhap" during the "Queen + Paul Rodgers" tour, because it was obvious to everyone, and they had played parts of that song over the PA before.  Plus, Paul came out and stood there and sang the closing section, so it was part of the overall presentation.  I don't get the "recreation" part of things.   I think it is a cash grab and a little lame. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
My biggest question, why is the hologram like 3 feet tall?

I know Dio was on the short side, but the hologram looks like an actual god damn hobbit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:02:39 AM »
... every Zappa other than Dwezil doesn't seem to give a shit about Frank's musical legacy.

Moon tends to side with Dweezil on most things, but Ahmet and Diva own more shares in the ZFT, so...

There's been a Roy Orbison hologram tour, and from what I can gather it was very successful, so I guess every other executor of a dead singer wants a piece of that pie.  I'd expect more of this sort of thing in the future, unfortunately...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »

I know Dio was on the short side, but the hologram looks like an actual god damn hobbit.

That's a lifesize Ronnie Dio right there.   

Offline Lethean

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »
I agree with what pretty much everyone else has said. It's lame, sad, exploitative, what have you. Definitely not a tour that I would check out.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 11:19:36 AM »
Since I didn't care for the situation, I didn't fully grasp the details - I thought the footage was a live one, but no... it's completely recreated. You don't even see an actual performance of Dio, you hear the voice and then the movements are completely recreated at the computer for the hologram, which is programmed to mimic Dio.

Holy shit, that's absolutely terrible.  Much worse than I would have imagined.  I'd rather watch the numerous existing videos of actual Dio performances.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »
I loved what Brent said in an earlier thread when this was first announced... "If they'll accept hologram money, I'd go".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 02:04:54 PM »
I don't have any criticism, other to say that I would find the experience so unfulfilling. I'd rather go to a theater screening of one of his DVDs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 02:13:36 PM »
I don't have any criticism, other to say that I would find the experience so unfulfilling. I'd rather go to a theater screening of one of his DVDs.
I would just feeling goofy standing in a crowd of people watching a band perform with a hologram.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 02:17:17 PM »
Personally I dont care for it at all IMO, but if his family and former bandmates are not only OK with it, but think Dio would want that, then I am OK with them doing it (assuming fans want it too, which I am not so sure of). 

I also watched a video cause I wasn't sure exactly what this was about, and it weird.  I want to see live performers at a concert, I'm annoyed enough when bands pump in extra sounds and instruments into the live music, a totally fake vocalist live is really lame and uninteresting for me to want to pay to see... but if everyone else is cool with it, have at it.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 02:44:21 PM »
Personally I dont care for it at all IMO, but if his family and former bandmates are not only OK with it, but think Dio would want that
I don't know how they would have a clue to know how Dio would feel about a hologram figure of himself performing? He might think its the tackiest idea ever. I know if his family is making money off this nonsense they would like to think he'd be ok with it. Who knows?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Personally I dont care for it at all IMO, but if his family and former bandmates are not only OK with it, but think Dio would want that
I don't know how they would have a clue to know how Dio would feel about a hologram figure of himself performing? He might think its the tackiest idea ever. I know if his family is making money off this nonsense they would like to think he'd be ok with it. Who knows?

I thought I saw somewhere (I'm thinking Blabbermouth headline) that his bandmates all thought he would have supported the idea.  Unless they actually talked about this, I am not sure how they would know that either. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 02:57:53 PM »
The whole thing reminds me of Pet Cemetery. I would just miss him even more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »

Wendy is behind it, isn't she?   

Offline Adami

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »

That's a lifesize Ronnie Dio right there.

Yea yea, I get it, dude was small. But have you seen a video of it? It's just freaking creepy how tiny the hologram is. Just insanely out of proportion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »
In this one he looks just alright:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eiWahgEnFg

But there are some other videos where indeed he looks smaller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eiWahgEnFg

Also for whatever reason in the first video the illusion is way better.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
I would just feeling goofy standing in a crowd of people watching a band perform with a hologram.

I'd feel even goofier being one of the musicians on stage/interacting with the hologram.

And there's no way this could legally happen without Wendy being behind it.

By the way, are Jem and the Holograms the opening act?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 05:24:55 PM »

I'd feel even goofier being one of the musicians on stage/interacting with the hologram.

And there's no way this could legally happen without Wendy being behind it.

By the way, are Jem and the Holograms the opening act?

The thing is that Wendy was the one that pretty much launched the idea for the tour, I believe.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 06:09:19 PM »
First, I have no idea why he's so small. Part of it is because they set him so far back, presumably to accommodate the apparatuses, but in that case you just make him bigger. Seems weird.

Second, I have no idea why they didn't use better audio footage. We Rock sounded like it was recorded on one of his last tours. Why not use the Spectrum audio, which sounded great?

Third, why not use a holographic (yeah, I know, Pepper's Ghost) Jimmy Bain and Claude Schnell, too? It'd be better if they were presenting it as something other than a rock concert. Like somebody else said, I'd rather just go somewhere and watch the Spectrum show on a big screen with concert loud audio. If it were presented as a better movie with a band of holograms I'd be much cooler with it.

Fourth, if they want to do it tastefully, you treat it as a retrospective with guest singers and only have Holographic Dio on 3 or 4 songs. Do it chronologically and have Dio introduce the various segments with Twentieth Century Greensleeves, Heaven and Hell with the two shapes and all the pyro, Last in Line, and maybe close it out with We Rock. Various other singers do the rest of it.

Fifth, this all began with Wendy. Honestly, I'd trust her to know what he would or would not have approved of. I'm sure it's a cash grab for Goldie and Wright, but Wendy might well be differently motivated.

Sixth, I'll pass. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »

That is strange he totally looks Hobbit-ized. This whole thing just looks weird.

Is anyone in the audience alive?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 06:26:34 PM »

That is strange he totally looks Hobbit-ized. This whole thing just looks weird.

Is anyone in the audience alive?

Are you suggesting that the audience is, too, holographic?

I wouldn't rule it out.

Actually that's what I want. An entire holographic concert with a holographic audience.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 07:01:31 PM »
Third, why not use a holographic (yeah, I know, Pepper's Ghost) Jimmy Bain and Claude Schnell, too? It'd be better if they were presenting it as something other than a rock concert. Like somebody else said, I'd rather just go somewhere and watch the Spectrum show on a big screen with concert loud audio. If it were presented as a better movie with a band of holograms I'd be much cooler with it.
So I'm "somebody else"?? Geez.

Pretty sure Claude Schnell was a hologram to begin with.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 11:26:14 PM »
First, I have no idea why he's so small. Part of it is because they set him so far back, presumably to accommodate the apparatuses, but in that case you just make him bigger. Seems weird.

Second, I have no idea why they didn't use better audio footage. We Rock sounded like it was recorded on one of his last tours. Why not use the Spectrum audio, which sounded great?

Fourth, if they want to do it tastefully, you treat it as a retrospective with guest singers and only have Holographic Dio on 3 or 4 songs. Do it chronologically and have Dio introduce the various segments with Twentieth Century Greensleeves, Heaven and Hell with the two shapes and all the pyro, Last in Line, and maybe close it out with We Rock. Various other singers do the rest of it.

Fifth, this all began with Wendy. Honestly, I'd trust her to know what he would or would not have approved of. I'm sure it's a cash grab for Goldie and Wright, but Wendy might well be differently motivated.

Sixth, I'll pass. 

I'm pretty sure money is the answer to every one of these concerns.
As to why they chose a more recent performance, it probably came down to either rights, sound quality, or maybe it used a click and was easier to sync up to. Ideally you'd think a hologram should preserve a performer in their prime.

Hopefully in future, performers are more aware of this concern to milk money off their legacy after their death, and go through a complete process of 3D scan, performance motion capture, and recording performances for posthumous use.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »

I thought I saw somewhere (I'm thinking Blabbermouth headline) that his bandmates all thought he would have supported the idea.  Unless they actually talked about this, I am not sure how they would know that either.
Any conversation with Dio about a Dio hologram carrying on his legacy while he was alive would be creepier than the hologram tour itself. I can't imagine any such conversation ever tool place.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »

Maybe I'm wrong about this but since I have some experience in dealing with "the wishes" of those that passed, I have to point out that there is a big difference between "wanted to see happen" and "would have approved".   When Freddie Mercury got sick, he explicitly said to Brian, Roger and John to "use me as you need to".   He begged them to give him stuff to sing, so that they could use it after he passed to create more music (such was his trust in his bandmates; amazing!).   

I have close to 2,000 +/- CDs; my wishes?  That my family and friends take them, listen to them, sit around and play songs and think fond thoughts of me.   Whether that happens or not is up to them; if they hate me, or if it would  be too painful, so be it.   At that point it's my daughter's call; if she wants to sell all of them, fine, if she wants to give them to charity, fine... I don't WANT her to do any of those things, but if she does, it's not as if I am going to haunt her from the grave.    After I go, she  has to do what's right for her and what gives her the most peace.

If touring Ronnie's miniature hologram gives Wendy peace, I guess who are we to say?   But I have a hard time making this more than it is.  I have a hard time thinking that this is what Ronnie WANTED, as opposed to "wouldn't object to". 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 08:26:02 AM »
Any conversation with Dio about a Dio hologram carrying on his legacy while he was alive would be creepier than the hologram tour itself. I can't imagine any such conversation ever tool place.

Indeed. I can imagine them discussing in a worst case scenario what to do with unreleased live stuff and the likes. But to discuss an actual hologram back in 2009, when as far as I know thing like this has ever been attempted? most unlikely.

I also agree with Stadler's eloquent analogy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 12:28:19 PM »

Indeed. I can imagine them discussing in a worst case scenario what to do with unreleased live stuff and the likes. But to discuss an actual hologram back in 2009, when as far as I know thing like this has ever been attempted? most unlikely.

I agree, but I'd say it's possible they talked about continuing his legacy in some form and from those conversations people thought a hologram would fit the bill of something Dio would actually want done.  I'm not saying I believe that, but I'd say it's possible considering we are talking about performers who are famous.  Maybe he told his family to milk him dry so they can have money when he's gone, who knows.  Just think its possible.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
As much as I don't like the idea, since Wendy is involved I can be ok with the Dio hologram. I still wouldn't go see it. I do however have a huge issue with the Zappa Hologram.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 08:32:33 AM »

I agree, but I'd say it's possible they talked about continuing his legacy in some form and from those conversations people thought a hologram would fit the bill of something Dio would actually want done.  I'm not saying I believe that, but I'd say it's possible considering we are talking about performers who are famous.  Maybe he told his family to milk him dry so they can have money when he's gone, who knows.  Just think its possible.
Yeah, I could hear Dio saying to not feel bad about making money in his absence in any way you see fit.  Still. if he's watching from above I'd be shocked if this doesn't make him cringe a bit. I think the hologram thing is cool done as a one or two time tribute at an awards show or festival. But to roll this thing out with the tour title being "Dio Returns" is just bad.