Author Topic: Music you are surprised you DON'T like  (Read 4968 times)

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
Re: Music you are surprised you DON'T like
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 12:35:10 AM »
Totally agree on Devin Townsend. Tried a few of his albums and he's just exhausting

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 05:41:04 AM »
I agree with some people!! I never liked any of Devins music also. I like some Opeth songs, but I can't get into most of their stuff. Their older albums are just too death metal for me. Watershed is not bad, neither are their last two albums- but I'm not such a big fan of their melodies.

I understand if people can't get into Bowie. I personally ADMIRE the dude and love a lot of music by him. Especially Blackstar - wow what a masterpiece. But I totally understand if people cannot get into his weird style.

Another band would be Radiohead. I listened to OKC once in the car, didn't like it. I bought it on vinyl the other day. Sometimes I get into albums when I listen to them on vinyl. Everyone calls it a masterpiece so I figured I'd give it another try. Haven't had time to listen to it yet though.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »
Periphery. I tried many times to like their music, but it just doesn't work for me. The vocals don't help either.

Meshuggah. I like the first few seconds of Bleed and that's it, the rest is just heavy riffing with lots of growls and zero melody. Not my cup of tea.

BTBAM. Some songs have very cool moments and I like a few of the Coma Ecliptic tracks, but I could Never finish the album (and tried many times) from start to finish. It's very tiring and same-sounding. Also, too many growls.
Tried listening to Colors and my experience was worse, had to stop listening afer the first song.
I think it's just clear I don't like growling vocals :biggrin:

Devin Townsend. Same opinion as some of you, his songs are just an unstoppable wall of sound (for the most part), so it gets tiring to listen to and I feel like I listened to the same song over and over again through the album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
Pain of Salvation.  It has all of the elements of things I should like, but Daniel Gildenlow’s overall vibe prevents me from looking into them more.  I think he takes himself way too seriously.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »
Foo Fighters.. I enjoy a couple of songs but their sound is just so.. vanilla? I would definitely say they're a rockin' band. Grohl is a cool dude and his voice is great too but somehow I don't really care for Foo Fighters songs.

Machine Head. I can't stand the guy's voice even though I like that vocal style.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
I'm not even really a djent fan but I just don't really understand the love for Tesseract and Periphery. They are pretty well loved around these parts. I actually don't mind some Periphery but I think they are fairly overrated.

Tesseract though, I've tried many times and they just do nothing for me. I saw them supporting Devin Townsend and just wasn't into it at all. They seem like they should be something I'd like but I think they are overrated and they just don't click for me.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »
Pain of Salvation.  It has all of the elements of things I should like, but Daniel Gildenlow’s overall vibe prevents me from looking into them more.  I think he takes himself way too seriously.

I couldn't of said it better myself.

I can't get into any of MP"s projects post DT. On paper they sound like they would work for me, drummer I like often paired with a great guitar and bass player but Flying Colors is bland and Adrenaline Mob is too psychosane for me.

Funny enough after these years I think I enjoy Sons of Apollo the most.

I can also echo the Devin Townsend comments. There are a few songs that are amazing and are some of my favorite but a large part of his work is forgettable to me.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 12:06:47 AM »
Evanescence.

It's the weirdest thing about them.  I like their contemporaries (Breaking Benjamin, Seether, Halestorm, Shinedown (when they used to be so dang good), etc.  I've tried a couple of times to get into them.  I heard their Fallen album.  I heard their Synthesis album, last year, where they remix a couple of their songs and added orchestration elements.  I just cannot enjoy them the way I do their contemporaries and I can't put my finger why.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 12:57:27 AM »
Evanescence.

It's the weirdest thing about them.  I like their contemporaries (Breaking Benjamin, Seether, Halestorm, Shinedown (when they used to be so dang good), etc.  I've tried a couple of times to get into them.  I heard their Fallen album.  I heard their Synthesis album, last year, where they remix a couple of their songs and added orchestration elements.  I just cannot enjoy them the way I do their contemporaries and I can't put my finger why.
Agreed on the most part, their first album is decent but I moved on from them rather quickly. I like Halestorm way better even though they have cheesey lyrics, lol! 
I'll take Nightwish any day over these two bands. NW has way more substance in their music and much better lyrics..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 05:16:43 AM »
Gojira. I've tried and tried, bought several albums... The riffs and sound is amazing but the songs just aren't there. So dull. It might be the vocals? They're not really aggressive but are in the growl box. Shrug...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 06:22:15 AM »
Gojira is a good example. I've read good things about From Mars To Sirius and some samples sounded great. But when I heard the whole thing it was a huge letdown. I've tried and I've tried but I just don't like it.

Some riffs are cool and the more atmospheric stuff isn't bad, but the songs just aren't there, they mostly sound like random uninspired riffs thrown together. And the drummer at times sounds like he can't barely keep the timing.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2018, 10:31:01 PM »
Rush's earliest material. I have no problem with high pitched prog vocalists, (I like Coheed and Cambria) and I have no problem with their instrumental tracks. I liked Clockwork Angels and Vapor Trails but there's something in their earlier albums that doesn't click, maybe It's poor man Geddy Lee's voice that I have a problem with. I don't understand it. Sorry :(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2018, 08:33:35 AM »
Since it came up in another thread... Rage Against the Machine.  They seem to have everything I love in music (minus political lyrics, but lyrics I can generally get over), yet I could never really enjoy it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »
Marillion. I treid a couple times to get into their music, but it just never clicked with me.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
The Who

Outside of a few songs I just can't get into them. Surprises me because I like a lot of classic rock (my parents were teens in the late 60's). Much of my childhood was spent listening to 60's and 70's rock. As a drummer, I admire the heck out of Keith Moon. Do I respect them? Absolutely. I just wish I liked them.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
The Who

Outside of a few songs I just can't get into them. Surprises me because I like a lot of classic rock (my parents were teens in the late 60's). Much of my childhood was spent listening to 60's and 70's rock. As a drummer, I admire the heck out of Keith Moon. Do I respect them? Absolutely. I just wish I liked them.

Same. I like a few songs, even LOVE some. But all in all. It's a cool band but nothing against, say, Led Zeppelin. Lots of people who love the same stuff that I love, admire The Who. I don't, but I don't know why.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »
I bought a lot of Who disks on eBay a couple weeks ago and as I'm listening through... I feel like I'm always kind of just waiting for the stuff off Who's Next to come up.  Not that it's their only album, but the Who is all over the map and not all of those places are civilization. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »
Gentle Giant is another.  I remember getting into Spock's Beard and many saying, "if you like them, you'll really dig Gentle Giant," but it was the opposite. Gentle Giant is some of the worst shit I've ever heard.

That is a really weird statement. I mean, at best one could say "Spock's Beard draw influence from Gentle Giant in places, maybe you'll enjoy it". But, they are overall very different. And yeah, GG is weird shit, you either love it or hate it :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
Gentle Giant is some of the worst shit I've ever heard.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2018, 10:15:01 AM »
I was driving in the car the other day and this gem came on:

https://youtu.be/ZLMcef3geVY?t=43

I mean, gotta admit, that is some weird-ass shit! :lol

I still love it though.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
I was driving in the car the other day and this gem came on:

https://youtu.be/ZLMcef3geVY?t=43

I mean, gotta admit, that is some weird-ass shit! :lol

I still love it though.
On the radio? I love that album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 07:15:29 PM »
Gentle Giant is another.  I remember getting into Spock's Beard and many saying, "if you like them, you'll really dig Gentle Giant," but it was the opposite. Gentle Giant is some of the worst shit I've ever heard.

That is a really weird statement. I mean, at best one could say "Spock's Beard draw influence from Gentle Giant in places, maybe you'll enjoy it". But, they are overall very different. And yeah, GG is weird shit, you either love it or hate it :lol

I will take the latter for $200, Alex. :P

Gentle Giant is some of the worst shit I've ever heard.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »
That Gentle Giant song sounds like a couple kids got loose in a Toys R Us and found some toy instruments.

I bought a lot of Who disks on eBay a couple weeks ago and as I'm listening through... I feel like I'm always kind of just waiting for the stuff off Who's Next to come up.  Not that it's their only album, but the Who is all over the map and not all of those places are civilization. 

Never thought of that. They were doing some fairly experimental (hate that word but can't think of a better one) stuff in the mid to late 60s for a British Invasion band, things like a 9.5 minute "A Quick One, While He's Away." Then Pete had the creative genius run of Tommy/Who's Next/Quadrophenia. Then they dipped a bit, but kept momentum till Keith died. They tried to press on but Pete might not have had much left in the creative tank. I sometimes forget about the post Quadrophenia (how are we supposed to abbreviate that??) albums, but even with the 6 albums up to that point, that is a hell of a lot of legendary classic rock material. Any band would love to have Tommy, Who's Next, or Q as part of their discography. Plus they had one of the most explosive (sometimes literally) live shows in rock.

Not sure where I am going with all this. The Beatles "were all over the map" too, as were The Stones. Maybe The Who strayed too far from their wheelhouse for you. Fair enough.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2018, 02:46:45 AM »
That Gentle Giant song sounds like a couple kids got loose in a Toys R Us and found some toy instruments.

Never thought of that. They were doing some fairly experimental (hate that word but can't think of a better one) stuff in the mid to late 60s for a British Invasion band, things like a 9.5 minute "A Quick One, While He's Away." Then Pete had the creative genius run of Tommy/Who's Next/Quadrophenia. Then they dipped a bit, but kept momentum till Keith died. They tried to press on but Pete might not have had much left in the creative tank. I sometimes forget about the post Quadrophenia (how are we supposed to abbreviate that??) albums, but even with the 6 albums up to that point, that is a hell of a lot of legendary classic rock material. Any band would love to have Tommy, Who's Next, or Q as part of their discography. Plus they had one of the most explosive (sometimes literally) live shows in rock.

Not sure where I am going with all this. The Beatles "were all over the map" too, as were The Stones. Maybe The Who strayed too far from their wheelhouse for you. Fair enough.

I really agree with everything you said about The Who. It's not like I find those albums shite, I can acknowledge that they are very good albums, I just personally don't like them that much.
That being said, I think the Who album I like most is Who's Next (ok I'll run now).

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 03:43:18 AM »
I was surprised how much I loved Gentle Giant. They were a quirkier, nerdier Genesis, in my opinion. Now Haken, I can't get into those guys. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2018, 06:46:23 AM »
Between the Buried and Me

Based off of everything I had read about them, I figured I'd love them so I impulsively bought one of their albums (Colors) a while back when I was looking for something new to listen to. I don't think it's a bad album by any means, but I couldn't get into it for the life of me. I know the album gets a lot of praise and the genre is up my alley, but it just never clicked with me.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2018, 06:56:48 AM »
The only Between the Buried and Me song I actually enjoy start to finish is Selkies.
Most of the time their songs just sound like noise with really bad screams thrown on top, but every description of the band points out that I should like them. I don't know.

I'll throw in Opeth, another band that I can't seem to get into.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »
Fates Warning. Just haven't heard anything I can get into at all... I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't for the fact that I really like the first couple of OSI records.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »

I really agree with everything you said about The Who. It's not like I find those albums shite, I can acknowledge that they are very good albums, I just personally don't like them that much.
That being said, I think the Who album I like most is Who's Next (ok I'll run now).

You don't have to run; that's almost exactly what I said.   It's not that I DON'T like the other stuff, but it's quirky, and while I like A Quick One, it's a weird piece, and less a "song" than it is a collage.  I LOVE "I Can See For Miles", but it's very different than "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere".    I don't know; I don't know how else to explain it, because as some one else pointed out, the Beatles were the same way and I LOVE the Beatles. 

I'm still going to continue digging in, maybe it'll click.    And don't misunderstand; as I listen to more and more, my admiration for Townsend grows.  I knew the Who were influential, but I had no idea the EXTENT to which they influenced 100s of bands to come later.