Author Topic: Music you are surprised you like  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Music you are surprised you like
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 02:14:13 AM »
Normally, I'd only listen to "guitar" music, but recently I've discovered some of the New Retro Wave stuff, like Gunship https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1ZN8c4_Gs (brilliant video!), and others like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNwX1UbVUnU and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDBbaGCCIhk

The videos to some of these tunes are also pretty amazing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 02:15:57 AM »
Red and 1989 by Taylor Swift. Those albums are great. 1989 would be a 10/10 if it wasn't for Bad Blood. I don't like her country stuff at all, but I'll listen to that shit over her newest album any day. Fuck that's a terrible collection of songs.

Other pop I listen to I wouldn't say surprised me, just that Swift actually had a couple good albums.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 03:02:30 AM »
Pretty much anything outside of metal. Well, I'm not surprised per se, but 10 years ago if you had shown me what I'd be listening to nowadays I'd have reeled in horror at it. Now I've grown up and really just am not angry or upset enough to want loud, heavy music apart from what I grew up loving.

This is a really good point and describes me as well. Extremely aggressive and angry music really helped me when I was younger, because my ass was breathing fire back in the day. (for a wide range of reasons). Now, at 30 I have my own life and make my own decisions and things are super chill for the most part, so I just don't feel the need to listen to it that much any more.
I don't get this, or maybe it's just me. I listen to a ton of metal from various subgenres and I never do it out of anger.

I guess I was initially pretty surprised by how much I like Mr. Doctor and still kind of am. His music takes more patience and attention than I thought I was capable of. :laugh:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 04:46:31 AM »
A-ha.

A brilliant pop band (in the proper 'pop' sense).  Morten Harket has an amazing voice and Paul Waaktaar-Savoy & Magne Furuholmen create great songs and melodies.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 07:20:46 AM »
Zac Brown Band- Ridiculously talented band.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 07:58:02 AM »
Red and 1989 by Taylor Swift. Those albums are great. 1989 would be a 10/10 if it wasn't for Bad Blood. I don't like her country stuff at all, but I'll listen to that shit over her newest album any day. Fuck that's a terrible collection of songs.

Other pop I listen to I wouldn't say surprised me, just that Swift actually had a couple good albums.

Taylor Swift.  I say that with no irony, no "hipster swag" or anything like that.   I love her last two albums, and while its not like I'm going to go out and stock my cabinets with the latest Selena Gomez and Katy Perry albums, these pop nuggets just seem to satisfy.

Eminem is another one.

I'm a bit pleasantly surprised to see other Swifties on this forum. I've listened to all but her self-titled album so far (procrastinating on that whoops), and they're all good. 1989, Speak Now, and reputation are probably my three favorites and Red and Fearless are the weaker of them imo.

I don't have much music that I surprisingly like, since I listen to and like pretty much every genre at this point. But there's one exception that comes to mind: Pendrecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima. I don't like ultra-modern/atonal/aleatoric classical at all (and this is with a lot of exposure to it), but this piece is something else. I feel like it's how aleatoric/atonal music SHOULD be done, and it's a great expression of the unimaginable suffering and horror that was unleashed in the two nukes dropped on Japan and the aftermath. Honestly, though, I probably wouldn't like it if it weren't for the title (it was originally going to be called 8'37" which would've ruined it imo) since the music itself falls completely flat without the connotation between the attack and the music.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2018, 08:14:55 AM »
Pink, old Madonna and sometimes I"ll just put on a mindless stoner rock playlist.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
A-ha.

A brilliant pop band (in the proper 'pop' sense).  Morten Harket has an amazing voice and Paul Waaktaar-Savoy & Magne Furuholmen create great songs and melodies.

I haven't listened to newer A-Ha, but their older albums had some real gems on them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
Converge. I've listened to a fair amount of metal/mathcore through many plug sessions and have been either bored by blast beats or annoyed by very chaotic songwriting. This band somehow strikes a great balance and dynamism with elaborate songwriting, uncommon time signatures, lots of emotional impact (I can connect with their anger), enough sense of melody and pace, and some :2metal: riffs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2018, 08:06:26 PM »
Because I am more of a rock guy than metal (generally speaking), combined with the fact that I usually am not a fan of death growls, I guess I am surprised that I like Opeth as much as I do, although I doubt I'd like them as much as I do if every song was nothing but death growls.  The contrast between the normal vocals and growls was part of the appeal to me at first, not to mention how great their music was when they weren't rocking out.