Author Topic: Music you are surprised you like  (Read 2023 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Music you are surprised you like
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:56:59 PM »
Might be interesting to talk about. I was driving the other day and this tune came on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vx7MTU-UVE (wait for the break, it's awesome)

The song is kinda ridiculous, but that's partly why I enjoy it.

What songs do you like that are entirely outside your usual taste in music?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Music you are surprised you like
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »
Taylor Swift.  I say that with no irony, no "hipster swag" or anything like that.   I love her last two albums, and while its not like I'm going to go out and stock my cabinets with the latest Selena Gomez and Katy Perry albums, these pop nuggets just seem to satisfy.

Eminem is another one. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
Dream Theater :neverusethis:

Though lately that's genuine since i haven't liked the last two albums

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »
The occasional pop song I lhappen to isten for whatever reason and it's suprisingly good, I guess.

Pink's U + Ur Hand, Christina Perri's Jar of Hearts, Lana Del Ray's Gods and Monsters are some examples.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
Rap and hip hop. Hated it as a kid and now its all I listen to, lol

Maybe synthwave as well. I listen to that stuff ALL the time now a days.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:32:21 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »
Interesting. I have definite interests that are outside my musical wheelhouse and it amazes other people when I say I love disco or techno. But I am not personally surprised by anything I listen to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
Pretty much anything outside of metal. Well, I'm not surprised per se, but 10 years ago if you had shown me what I'd be listening to nowadays I'd have reeled in horror at it. Now I've grown up and really just am not angry or upset enough to want loud, heavy music apart from what I grew up loving. I'll sit and listen to pop and new age and folk far more than I'll ever listen to metal or hard rock...

Honestly I'm not surprised by anything. I just want to listen to music that sounds good to me, regardless of genres. That makes finding new music a nightmare (choice paralysis ahoy) but it's worth it to hear a whole variety of genres and styles.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:39:54 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »
Pretty much anything outside of metal. Well, I'm not surprised per se, but 10 years ago if you had shown me what I'd be listening to nowadays I'd have reeled in horror at it. Now I've grown up and really just am not angry or upset enough to want loud, heavy music apart from what I grew up loving.

This is a really good point and describes me as well. Extremely aggressive and angry music really helped me when I was younger, because my ass was breathing fire back in the day. (for a wide range of reasons). Now, at 30 I have my own life and make my own decisions and things are super chill for the most part, so I just don't feel the need to listen to it that much any more.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

I used to be a frequent visitor of WhatCulture on youtube, and when I entered W-H-A-T in the youtube search bar, the first auto-fill result would be "What does the fox say?" I thought that was the most random search query, like it was a legitimate question people would enter in Google. For the longest time I ignored it till one day my curiosity got the better of me and I clicked on that entry and saw that video. And whoa nelly did I regret that decision.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 01:49:44 PM »
My wife is a Hanson fan.  I am pretty impressed with their songwriting skills.  Almost all their songs are very well structured and they are experts at writing great melodic hooks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »
Pretty much anything outside of metal. Well, I'm not surprised per se, but 10 years ago if you had shown me what I'd be listening to nowadays I'd have reeled in horror at it. Now I've grown up and really just am not angry or upset enough to want loud, heavy music apart from what I grew up loving.

This is a really good point and describes me as well. Extremely aggressive and angry music really helped me when I was younger, because my ass was breathing fire back in the day. (for a wide range of reasons). Now, at 30 I have my own life and make my own decisions and things are super chill for the most part, so I just don't feel the need to listen to it that much any more.

Haha, I like that, "my ass was breathing fire." Describes me perfectly, too. Now the fire is out, doused by a cool river of post-rock and Enya  :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
Jinjer.

Hardcore Ukranian band that I absolutely love, but unsure exactly why.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 02:21:40 PM »
Interesting. I have definite interests that are outside my musical wheelhouse and it amazes other people when I say I love disco or techno. But I am not personally surprised by anything I listen to.

Same sentiment. I don't love JUST prog and classic rock. I could say stuff like Daft Punk, Hans Zimmer soundtracks, or Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, and that would surprise OTHER people, but certainly not myself.

Usually, if something surprises me, I end up loving it or hating it, and rarely is there a middle point where I dislike it for awhile and come back to it later and love it, though I suppose Marillion is the one band I could cite that fits that bill - I first heard them not long after I discovered Transatlantic and went to listen to Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, and Marillion, but of the three, Marillion was the one that I could not get in to for some reason or another (both Fish and H eras). Fast forward a few years and I revisted them and fell in love. Did it surprise me? A little, but not any more, as they have fallen into a field of prog that I enjoy these days (though I don't spin them as much as I used to a few years ago).

Now, if you had asked "what is music you are surprised you don't hate", I'd say musical theatre showtunes. I don't like it outright, as in I don't make a conscious effort to listen to Broadway stuff, but I don't dislike it. During and after college, I drummed for a musical theatre workshop course and they put on a show every Fall semester, either a full single show, or a compilation of songs from various shows to fit a theme, and it was always enjoyable and I liked the songs and music, but outside of those times, I never sought out that kind of music.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »
Now, if you had asked "what is music you are surprised you don't hate", I'd say musical theatre showtunes.

My wife's head explodes on those infrequent occasions I break out in a song from Cabaret or My Fair Lady. I don't make any effort to listen to musical theater, but I often find myself enjoying the music when I do.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 02:36:57 PM »
Now, if you had asked "what is music you are surprised you don't hate", I'd say musical theatre showtunes.

My wife's head explodes on those infrequent occasions I break out in a song from Cabaret or My Fair Lady. I don't make any effort to listen to musical theater, but I often find myself enjoying the music when I do.

:lol :tup While I don't go THAT far, I at least find myself drumming along to those tunes whenever I heard them, because there's probably a 50/50 chance I've played that song before.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
This might disqualify me for many people here :D
But I actually find this song pretty cool in a VERY strange way.........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVj0ZTS4WF4

It's so unbelievably ridiculous, but at the same time it's sung incredibly well :D
I mean, I know a lot of good singers and I don't think any of them could pull this off.

Ok, I'll hide in my cave now
any rock can be made to roll

Offline LordCost

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »
Last week I discovered the album 666 International by Dodheimsgard and I think it's really good. I didn't expect to like an industrial black metal album honestly

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »
Randomly Google Music showed "The Summoning: With Doom We Come" and I listened to it. Total doom metal, but strangely I enjoyed it.

https://summoning.bandcamp.com/album/with-doom-we-come
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »

It's so unbelievably ridiculous, but at the same time it's sung incredibly well :D
I mean, I know a lot of good singers and I don't think any of them could pull this off.

I...

umm

wat
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 03:16:11 PM »

I love how this prick doesn't even have a name.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 04:00:37 PM »
I TOLD YOU GUYS  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Seriously though, it's not like I put this song on to listen to it. But a friend tagged me under the video on Facebook (the video is huuuge here in Europe, I see it every two days somewhere on FB) and I couldn't get the melody out of my head. And you have to admit that what he is doing is not that easy :D

Ok, I should probably just stop right here, because every other person I told this to reacted this way  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 04:12:30 PM »
My wife is a Hanson fan.  I am pretty impressed with their songwriting skills.  Almost all their songs are very well structured and they are experts at writing great melodic hooks.

same here.  I saw them in 2010 and they we very talented live.  Their last 3 studio albums minus the Christmas album are very mature.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 04:14:12 PM »
Cool Chris Prediction, Chandra Brambra Chandra Chandra Bendram will become this year's Whahíbrido Pickingant

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 04:57:34 PM »
I'm not a country fan by any means, especially country music nowadays (Bro-country is the current thing now?), but I try to keep a good open mind about it

However, this fella, Drake White, is the real deal. I love his voice, and this particular song is very, very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTBQ05KuaZE

Vitas!!! This guy is weird and crazy but has an insanely good voice

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 09:05:07 PM »
Well, country is not really my kind of thing, but I really do like Zac Brown Band (they got great harmonies in their vocals). 

Also, one band that I surprisingly like is Owl City.  I heard about Adam Young's one man band back around 2015 when I was listening to a song of his for my "Technological advances of music class."  The song was called Fireflies (his most popular song) and it was pretty darn catchy and what I liked about it was that it had that sense of childlike innocence and purity in the music and lyrics.  Owl City is also known for that song with Carly Rae Jepsen, Good Time.  Man, you talk about that feel good summer hit.  That song that gets plugged a lot in commercials.  That song was it.  It had a good beat and all, but the chorus is so dang annoying.

Still, Owl City has a fair amount of songs I enjoy a lot.  I really enjoyed Vanilla Twilight, Dementia (had Mark Hoppus of Blink 182 on vocals), Not All Heroes Wear Capes (it is just a very lovely laid back rock song that is praises his dad), Up All Night, and Beautiful Times (had Lindsey Stirling in violins, who is another artist that I did not expect to like).

I may also get into this Youtube music Channel, Monstercat, that I see a lot of Twitch Streamers use as background music during their streams (so that their VODs do not get muted due to copyright music).  I heard a few tracks from that channel and I like what I hear from it and it's not really something that I thought I would like.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »
Vitas!!! This guy is weird and crazy but has an insanely good voice

I feel this guy and song deserves its own thread.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 11:30:47 PM »
J-Rock. Really. There's so damn much to explore!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 11:49:46 PM »
Some rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEJ2b6IaGWU
It's catchy, especially that bass line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWsmH2d_Qg
I like the music behind it. It kinda has a horror vibe to me, it's driving and constant. The B-side is an instrumental track of the song, so they must have realized the strength of the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AYY4EqFBWM
Classic. And I can play it on keys  :P

It just sounds so cool. I can just imagine myself in a club in France in the 1930s hearing this guy play. He's amazing. His unique playing came as a result of his handicap in which, after he fire, he could only play using his thumb and two fingers- index and middle finger. To me, his music is timeless
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 12:22:12 AM »
As a young metalhead, i couldn't have imagined that i'd listen to more pop than metal nowadays. :biggrin:

Everyone who hasn't yet, should try CHVRCHES! Really great stuff, not your average pop music..

Also a lot of Electronic music from the 80's.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 01:34:59 AM »

Snap. We have this guy over here in the UK called Jonathan Wilson who tours with a 70 piece orchestra basically playing show tunes (don't know if he's made it over to the US or not). I've been to see him every year for the last few years and people who know my taste in music are often amazed. He performs at the BBC Proms every year, lots of clips on YouTube. This year he did a full concert performance of Oklahoma! which was truly stunning. Those old songs, Rogers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Loewe, Gershwin, Irving Berlin - there's nothing quite like them.

But to me, it's not a surprise. I love prog music and I love concept albums. There's a clear linear progression from Opera through Gilbert and Sullivan to Rogers & Hammerstein musicals to 60s rock musicals like Hair and Godspell to rock operas like Tommy, The Wall and The Astonishing.

Don't get me wrong, rock music is at its best with guitar/bass/drums, 3 chords and 3 minutes. But most of the time I wanna listen to something a bit more challenging. Something with a story...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 01:40:47 AM »

Snap. We have this guy over here in the UK called Jonathan Wilson who tours with a 70 piece orchestra basically playing show tunes (don't know if he's made it over to the US or not). I've been to see him every year for the last few years and people who know my taste in music are often amazed. He performs at the BBC Proms every year, lots of clips on YouTube. This year he did a full concert performance of Oklahoma! which was truly stunning. Those old songs, Rogers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Loewe, Gershwin, Irving Berlin - there's nothing quite like them.

But to me, it's not a surprise. I love prog music and I love concept albums. There's a clear linear progression from Opera to Gilbert and Sullivan to Rogers & Hammerstein musicals to 60s rock musicals like Hair and Godspell to rock operas like Tommy, The Wall and The Astonishing.

Don't get me wrong, rock music is at its best with guitar/bass/drums, 3 chords and 3 minutes. But most of the time I wanna listen to something a bit more challenging. Something with a story...

I love a lot of compositions by Kern, Rogers, Hammerstein II etc.! Many of their songs became Jazz standards as well. Which proves the great potential their music had (has). It works in many different styles and arrangements.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 01:47:18 AM »
I'm never surprised what music I like, but I'm often surprised what music others like.  :)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 02:11:59 AM »
Janelle Monae's Electric Lady album. It's modern R&B, but then again it IS a sci-fi influenced concept album with musically lots of cues from Prince, Stevie Wonder etcetera. Really good stuff musically, but vocally she's very modern sounding like Beyoncé. Yeah.. that's what I'd describe her like: Beyoncé, but way proggier.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .