Author Topic: If you could do any other job, what would it be?  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
If you could do any other job, what would it be?
« on: January 15, 2018, 08:17:28 PM »
So, say for instance you could do any other job in the world, what would it be and why?

For me, being a pharmacist is not bad at all, but if I could do anything else in the world I would want to be an FBI agent, specifically in behavioral sciences, studying and profiling serial killers, or extreme criminals. Since I was like 10 years old and started learning more and more about how brutal the world can be, I became more and more fascinated. I want to use mind to solve a human puzzle.

And I am giving serious thought to pursuing this career maybe a couple years from now.

How about you guys?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: If you could do any other job, what would it be?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:20:05 PM »
I'd love to run an ice cream shop in a small resort town. Though that's more.of a.semi-retirement type.job rather than a real career.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
Hmmm. Maybe music producer? I doubt my music will ever be the kind of thing to attract well....anyone, but maybe I could put my skill into producing other metal bands.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »
Not that it's a thing for the genre, but I'd love to be a session guitarist for metal style bands and melodic rock projects ala Frontiers.  Yes, I said it boys but I'd personally love to be a Frontiers whore.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:59:44 AM »
Since it's all wishful thinking, do I magically get the skills needed for the dream job, or it has to be something that I could possibly and realistically do?

Because in the genie granting a wish scenario, I'd be a professional photographer (I'm already an amateur, I could go down that route - the genie would spare me all the money needed for the better cameras, and the time needed to develop more my technical skills), in the realistic scenario, since I answer mails for customers, I'd take that and apply it to something better like a museum and a theatre. I'm good at writing professionally, and it's frustating to answer to people who don't even know how to type and spell. I want to use my writing skills in anything related to culture, being part of something nice that gives something good and artistic back to the world. Screw cellphones and washing machines!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:06:49 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:59:39 AM »
I'd own a monster truck team/garage and a small chain of breakfast establishments called The Daily Waffle. The menus would look like old newspapers.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:19:20 AM »
NFL commentator. You work 5 months a year. You eat at the best steak houses in each of the 30 NFL cities once or twice a week. Your homework is watching football games.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 08:24:09 AM »
NFL commentator. You work 5 months a year. You eat at the best steak houses in each of the 30 NFL cities once or twice a week. Your homework is watching football games.

That’s one hell of a job.

I’d like to be a professional musician. I don’t have to be famous but if I had steady work formplaying guitar thst would be fantastic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 08:52:07 AM »
Psychiatrist - People (and what makes them tick) fascinate me.
Author - I pretty much think Stephen King has it wired
Musician - Not a road dog, not a legend/icon like U2 or Bruce, but someone like Marillion, maybe. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 10:03:11 AM »
I'd be an addiction therapist. It's  actually something I've thought about doing after my cooking career.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »
Wouldn't mind being a librarian.

Honestly, any job that keeps me from talking to the general public (or as few people as possible, really) is great. Some days at my current job I talk to the public a lot and go home wanting to drink myself into a stupor; other days I talk to maybe 2 people and I get home happy as a clam. So yeah. Librarian, computer programmer, I dunno, anything solitary. Author is a good one.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 10:08:50 AM »

Honestly, any job that keeps me from talking to the general public (or as few people as possible, really) is great. Some days at my current job I talk to the public a lot and go home wanting to drink myself into a stupor; other days I talk to maybe 2 people and I get home happy as a clam. So yeah. Librarian, computer programmer, I dunno, anything solitary. Author is a good one.

My mom works at a library and it's a shit show as far as public relations go apparently. All the crazies who get hung up on by the police for some reason think the library can help them.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 11:31:36 AM »
Honestly, any job that keeps me from talking to the general public (or as few people as possible, really) is great.

I feel you bro.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »

That's not exactly what most psychiatrists do now. I mean...I guess if you just want to do a bunch of research/publications, sure. At this point, however, most of the big work has been done, and you'll be doing things like "the impact of extended hours day care on developmentally challenged autistic children with one parent families in urban areas".

Generally, psychiatry is now mostly focused on medications. So if you love learning about chemical interactions in the brain, then you'll love it.

Also doesn't hurt that you can endlessly screw up those meds (to a degree) and get paid like 300 dollars for a 10 minute meeting, but then again, as a lawyer, you're probably already in a similar situation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
Professional video gamer  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »
...but I'd love to be a session guitarist...

I always thought the Jon Carins of the world had it good. If playing music is more important to you than writing music, it's gotta be pretty neat to be talented enough that Roger Waters or David Gilmour will call you up and say "Hey, I'm going on tour, wanna play with me?" You get to tour the world, and play Comfortably Numb in front of tens of thousands of people.

Sportscaster would be cool too, though I am sure it is a thousand times harder than I think it is.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 01:40:15 PM »
Sportscaster would be cool too, though I am sure it is a thousand times harder than I think it is.

Yea, I don't think this is so easy.  Granted, neither is being most dream jobs.  I just don't think I love a single sport so much that I'd want to be so invested in it to have to constantly watch and know every detail about what's happening and each player.  I'm also not able to talk for hours at a time so it's really just not something up my alley.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
I've often had discussions with my friends along the lines of, "If you could pack up everything and move somewhere else and start anew, just start a completely new life: what would you do?" Two of my staple answers are some kind of woodsman-like work up in Montana (logging or something like that), or a fisherman up off the coast of Maine. Oddly specific, yes, but the location matters as much as the work for an ideal job. I'd also like to be an author, or be a vet (especially for cats and small animals like hamsters and hedgehogs).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »

Just out of curiosity, is it that you have literally no interest in being with other people, or you feel anxiety of some type?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 02:03:07 PM »

That's not exactly what most psychiatrists do now. I mean...I guess if you just want to do a bunch of research/publications, sure. At this point, however, most of the big work has been done, and you'll be doing things like "the impact of extended hours day care on developmentally challenged autistic children with one parent families in urban areas".

Generally, psychiatry is now mostly focused on medications. So if you love learning about chemical interactions in the brain, then you'll love it.

Also doesn't hurt that you can endlessly screw up those meds (to a degree) and get paid like 300 dollars for a 10 minute meeting, but then again, as a lawyer, you're probably already in a similar situation.

Do I really mean "psychologist" then?  I'm talking about being on the other side of the couch from me when I'm in therapy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 02:14:37 PM »

Just out of curiosity, is it that you have literally no interest in being with other people, or you feel anxiety of some type?

I've had bad social anxiety my whole life, and I get mentally exhausted incredibly fast when socializing with people, so it's both. I find solitary activities that I can do while letting my mind ruminate over anything and everything (in other words, not talking) far more rewarding than anything that involves requiring another human. Lots of personal history that's involved with that, but yeah. I also just enjoy being alone, not talking, and doing my own thing - that is so important to me, being able to entertain myself and do work that doesn't require other people. Even with my lifelong best friends, spending more than a couple hours at a time with them means I need to do absolutely nothing with anybody else for the next couple days. These days I can pretty much admit I'm selfish in how much time I need to feel 'okay' and function 'normally' but yeah, that's why I'd go with jobs like those.

There's a sales guy who comes into my job every few days and will stand around talking with the employees for upwards of an hour and a half and I thank whatever god might be out there that I'm never on the receiving end.  :lol :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

Do I really mean "psychologist" then?  I'm talking about being on the other side of the couch from me when I'm in therapy.

Classically, that’s what psychiatrists did. Some still do, but yea, largely that’s the work of psychologists now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 03:31:45 PM »
I would love to do voiceover. I have that kind of voice.
Or be a pro singer. Since I've sang in bands for 30 years.
Or have a cool breakfast lunch nook with me making all the killer things I like to eat. I love to cook to make people happy!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 03:38:03 PM »
I've thought about this some more, and a cool idea for a career and life would be to own and operate a concert hall.  Booking bands and managing concerts would be so cool.  Of course getting to see all the shows and be backstage would be a huge perk of such a job, but just doing the booking and promotion would be cool too.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 01:21:55 PM »
I once read about a Park Ranger in Banff National Park, Alberta. His job was basically living in a cabin alone, and patrolling the perimeter of the park on horseback. That would be my choice.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »
If money wasn't an issue, I'd gladly try to make the move to either terrestrial or satellite radio. Being a volunteer DJ is a lot of work too (I'm a customer service rep, for those who don't know), but in a much different way than the job I have now.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 05:31:57 PM »
Debra have you ever thought about doing a podcast?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 08:08:30 PM »
I've thought about this some more, and a cool idea for a career and life would be to own and operate a concert hall.  Booking bands and managing concerts would be so cool.  Of course getting to see all the shows and be backstage would be a huge perk of such a job, but just doing the booking and promotion would be cool too.

Yeah, on that note, I personally want to be working in the finance/accounting department of a concert promoter like Live Nation or AEG Live.  I've been observing the Billboard Boxscore on a regular basis and I always think to myself, "How do these promoters price the tickets for the bands we love the way they do?  Why is it so much?  Etc."  I want to learn the ins-and-outs of the financial end of something like that and probably find ways to change things for the better for the consumer's benefit (quite bloody impossible, but I like to fantasize things like that).  I imagine part of that job is talking to bands' booking agents and managers a lot and I think it would be a cool thing to do, but it would be a lot of hard work.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 04:37:32 PM »
There are several I'd like to try.

I'd like to be a chef. As part owner of a couple of restaurant ventures I'm amazed at the work people do in the culinary arts.

I'd also like to be a broker of rare scotch. I've been to Scotland many times and a few years ago started to really take to investing in rare whisky. I've also started to develop some strong relationships with some master distillers, especially at some distilleries in Speyside. There are people who go and buy very rare bottles, then flip them to collectors all over the world. What a great gig!

I'd also like to be a residential contractor. I've been passively looking for investors to build a residential,suburban farm community; bunched around an Ye Olde English village-style town center. I think that would be hugely popular! That's a big dream however.

I also think I would have made an incredible detective. I have an amazing 6th sense about people, and am hyper aware and observant.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »
There are several I'd like to try.

I'd like to be a chef. As part owner of a couple of restaurant ventures I'm amazed at the work people do in the culinary arts.

I'd also like to be a broker of rare scotch. I've been to Scotland many times and a few years ago started to really take to investing in rare whisky. I've also started to develop some strong relationships with some master distillers, especially at some distilleries in Speyside. There are people who go and buy very rare bottles, then flip them to collectors all over the world. What a great gig!

I'd also like to be a residential contractor. I've been passively looking for investors to build a residential,suburban farm community; bunched around an Ye Olde English village-style town center. I think that would be hugely popular! That's a big dream however.

I also think I would have made an incredible detective. I have an amazing 6th sense about people, and am hyper aware and observant.

With malls going under in the next decade or so, I think it'd be cool to convert closed malls into senior living communities. You could fit so many nice sized apartments in them. The old folks would have a safe and warm place to walk every day. There are already escalator and elevators in the building. I think they'd be a hit.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
Be in a band regularly releasing albums and singles and touring.  That was my dream in the 90's.

Pitcher or shortstop on the Dodgers.  Or almost anything involving baseball and a stadium.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 03:44:10 AM »
I'd wanna be James Bond. Or Batman.

Or move to Montana to raise me up a crop of dental floss...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »
I’d like to be a professional musician. I don’t have to be famous but if I had steady work form playing guitar that would be fantastic.

This, without a doubt. Insert any other instrument in place of 'guitar' and I'd be quite content.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 02:40:01 PM »
CEO of comcast. That way I destroy their monopoly from within.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Adami

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »
CEO of comcast. That way I help expand their monopoly and gain much wealth and power.

fanticide.bandcamp.com