Author Topic: Altered Carbon - NETFLIX  (Read 12975 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Altered Carbon - NETFLIX
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 10:28:41 PM »
Spoiler

Kovacs shooting Rei happened off camera when they were behind the sealed door. There was a gunshot then they cut to him holding her in his arms.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »

Did I miss Kovacs shooting Rei on Head in the Clouds?  I thought they only stabbed each other, then she shot him.
So many intricate details that I'm sure make a lot more sense in a book than TV.  Like, the whole casting thing... didn't quite follow that.  Also, is switching stacks like ejecting a DVD?  How did Rei switch into Ortega's sleeve so easily - or did she just print up an Ortega-clone?  And they never did explain how Leung was able to be the 'ghost walker'.  And Riker coming back... he's going to be in a synthetic sleeve.  I'm sure that'll go over well  :lol

So, is Quell really alive somewhere, or was Rei duping Tak with that?

And damn... now I want to read the books - but I'm only on book 2 of a seven-series book atm.

By casting are you referring to their FTL travel or to how they manage their "immortality"

Yes, switching stacks is kinda like a dvd. I think Rei took on Ortega's sleeve when she was in the virtual torture chamber, right?

I have no clue how the Ghostwalker thing was done.

I can't for the life of me remember what happens with Riker's sleeve, or whether Tak is even in his sleeve in the next book, it takes place 30 years after.

I'm gonna have to watch the series again, and I read the fucking books  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 04:58:51 AM »
Spoiler

Kovacs shooting Rei happened off camera when they were behind the sealed door. There was a gunshot then they cut to him holding her in his arms.

Ahhhh... not sure how I missed hearing that.

@ RJ... casting as it relates to FTL travel.  Do they physically travel (stack and sleeve), or is it just the data in their stack that travels to a different stack/sleeve?  The couple times they referred to it (with Bancroft travelling to close that deal, and the Stronghold memories when the Envoy team was going to raid some facility), I couldn't tell what happened after they went in the 'pods'.

Just before the final two episodes, I thought it was gonna be revealed that Lizzie was actually Quell... but that would have been WAAAAAAAAY to coincidental.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
They just cast their personality data, that's what made the Envoys so special is that they had to be capable of dealing with a new body, which for others was a greatly disorienting experience. Remember in the first episode when Kovaks was just getting awakened and the guys told him it would be a while to "get his legs", then he immediately went all kick ass on them? Normal people can't do that. The Meths would have clones of themselves waiting at destinations where they're cast to.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »
They just cast their personality data, that's what made the Envoys so special is that they had to be capable of dealing with a new body, which for others was a greatly disorienting experience. Remember in the first episode when Kovaks was just getting awakened and the guys told him it would be a while to "get his legs", then he immediately went all kick ass on them? Normal people can't do that. The Meths would have clones of themselves waiting at destinations where they're cast to.

Aaahhh... gotchya
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
So Kinneman won't be around for S2, if it happens...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/altered-carbon-how-joel-kinnamans-exit-could-impact-season-2-1083004

Loved him in 'The Killing' and Loved him as Tak....was curious as to if it'd even make sense to have him involved in Altered Carbon moving forward given the circumstances surrounding that world. Kind of assumed Riker or Tak in Riker's sleeve was a long shot anyway.

but that new project sounds cool  :tup

I'm still waiting to hear from NETFLIX that a second season is greenlit. It's been a few weeks since the release and they usually confirm stuff like that pretty soon afterwards. From what I've read online it's been received well....i can't imagine they wouldn't do at least one more season.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
I did read somewhere that Netflix actually shot themselves in the foot by releasing it on Friday, then doing the huge Cloverfield thing at the SuperBowl, and how it actually slashed the viewership of Altered Carbon. Hopefully in due time the audience will grow to warrant a second season, I have yet to see a bad review of the show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 01:33:15 PM »
I did read somewhere that Netflix actually shot themselves in the foot by releasing it on Friday, then doing the huge Cloverfield thing at the SuperBowl, and how it actually slashed the viewership of Altered Carbon. Hopefully in due time the audience will grow to warrant a second season, I have yet to see a bad review of the show.

That was an odd time to release if they knew they'd be doing the Cloverfield release. I thought the same thing....although, I hammered out AC before watching Cloverfield.

I'm curious as to who they'll cast as Tak for season 2?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
I couldn't find any info on whose sleeve he used for the other books, but they could easily write it so he has his original Asian sleeve, supposedly he got a ton of money from Laurens for the gig before he sold him upriver, so he'd easily be able to clone himself a few times.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 01:46:48 AM »
I have yet to see a bad review of the show.

I was kinda surprised to read this 2/5 star review from Empire: https://www.empireonline.com/tv/altered-carbon-season-1/

It doesn’t help that Kinnaman and fellow lead Martha Higareda have zero chemistry and fail to add depth to their characters. Then again, it’s hard to know whether their woodenness stems from them or the soulless script.

Yikes - harsh! I can't agree with this at all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 04:49:15 AM »
No shit. Was this dude watching the same show as me?  Their chemistry was just fine.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 08:37:06 AM »
Damn, who the fuck pissed him off?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
Damn, who the fuck pissed him off?

No kidding. That guy is insane. I understand if you just didn't like it or if it didn't click with you but his judgments are way off and they do feel personal. He must have auditioned for a role and not gotten it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
Or he was a huge fan of the books and felt personally slighted that they didn't follow them to the T.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 12:20:27 PM »
Or he was a huge fan of the books and felt personally slighted that they didn't follow them to the T.

Or maybe he's Japanese and offended they put one of his own in "The White Man".  Seriously, how the fuck does anyone read that into ANYTHING to do with the story!?!?!  Haven't most evolved humans moved past that?  I was more bothered at the fact that Higareda couldn't lose her latin slang when portraying Rei.   :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
Yeah, I gave myself a minor concussion facepalming at that line. I mean, you state that it's part of the original story, then bitch about "whitewashing"...wtf man?

Someone throw that into the offensiveness thread in P&R....

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »
Yeah I think it requires some mental gymnastics to read anything racist or discriminatory into it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2018, 08:30:52 AM »
I’m not finished with the show yet (I’m halfway there), I just wanted to say all the Envoy stuff hits me right here: :heart
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »
Just finished and I really enjoyed it. It is like a very solid, 10 hour scifi flick with plenty of awesome setpieces. My only real qualm is that the person who is ultimately the main villain was a bit too obsessive and evil, with too little story build up for said villain to get to that point (from the perspective of the viewer). I also preffered the first half of the season due to it's premise, it being more of a detective whodunnit type of show. But that doesn't mean I didn't like the second half.

One huge positive for me, the season just works on it's own. The story is wrapped up in a satisfying manner. Not some blue balls inducing cliffhanger that makes you wait a year or possibly leave you without any conclusion ever.

Also, in regards to it being racist: I am very left minded and all, but some people seem to be driven on confirmation bias rather than going into matters open minded. This is not in any way comparable to something, like say, Ghost in the Shell, due to the context of the story. I don't think it is racist at all.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »
I watched this over 3 nights. Really loved it.

The funniest thing I saw mentioned is the same thing I thought, they missed an opportunity by casting Paul F. Tompkins as Poe. I could totally have seen that. Not taking anything away from the guy that played him, he put in a great performance.

I also read that this was initially only intended as a one season thing. There were no plans beyond it. Now they are rethinking that.

The whole cast was fantastic and the range that some of them showed was just awesome. Case in point, the pierced thug that ended up becoming Ortega's grandma.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2018, 05:31:26 PM »

The whole cast was fantastic and the range that some of them showed was just awesome. Case in point, the pierced thug that ended up becoming Ortega's grandma.

That one had me rolling man, I got a Latina friend who's running through the show right now, and I'm itching for her to get to that episode.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
A thing I wrote about the show: https://thenerdymillennialblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/16/altered-carbon/

Feel free to agree or disagree, but I do strongly feel this is first true cyberpunk other than Blade Runner 2049 that we’ve had in decades.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2018, 03:48:04 PM »
A thing I wrote about the show: https://thenerdymillennialblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/16/altered-carbon/

Feel free to agree or disagree, but I do strongly feel this is first true cyberpunk other than Blade Runner 2049 that we’ve had in decades.

that was a cool read, thanks a lot for that  :tup   I honestly had never heard the term ‘cyberpunk’ used to describe that genre but I’ll buy your definition and story. Altered Carbon most definitely fits the bill.

As far as Electric Dreams.....I battled through every episode so I could stand confident in my judgment of the series.....and that is....it sucked. Flat out, plain and simple it was such a waste of talent in the actors they had take part and (from what I’ve heard) the source material. I’ve never read any of the source material but Ive heard it’s fantastic. However, AMAZON completely missed the mark IMO. Very boring episodes.....most of the time no evident direction or purpose. I was bummed because I had high hopes

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »
Thanks, appreciate it!

There are two problems with Electric Dreams: first of all, the original short stories from Philip K. Dick were written in the 1950s and 60s. Even if they're interesting to think about, to call them outdated and even obsolete is an understatement. Second, the execution of these adaptations was just terrible. I don't know if it was bad writing or bad direction, but they don't do the original stories justice. Not even close. And it's such a shame too because look at the talent they were working with: Bryan Cranston, Steve Buscemi, Anna Paquin? These are not b-list actors.

If you're interested in other cyberpunk works, I mention a whole bunch in the post itself, but some of the major works include: The Matrix, Blade Runner (and 2049), Johnny Mnemonic (read the book instead, the movie sucks), Neuromancer (it's a hard book to get through but it's often considered the "first" official cyberpunk work), Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, A Scanner Darkly, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and maybe Metropolis by Osamu Tezuka. There are a whole bunch of others that came out in the '80s and '90s but I would say these are the best-known works in the genre. :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2018, 04:02:23 PM »
Very familiar with the Matrix and (2) Blade Runner films. Been meaning to watch Ghost in the Shell but I hear the book is the way to go on that one. Will look into the others you’ve mentioned as well.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »
Watch the original Ghost in the Shell anime with subtitles, it's an amazing cartoon that touches on a lot of themes the same way Blade Runner and the Matrix movies do. I've only seen the first one which is outright phenomenal if you ask me. I haven't seen any of the other in the series or even the movie that came out last year, but will check them out.

I finished Altered Carbon recently and really loved it. It's a great series and I'm really sad that Joel Kinnaman won't be back for season two. I loved him on the show and he was definitely the highlight for me. I would rate the series 7.5/10, I did have some issues at times with certain parts of the episodes and something about the pacing didn't gel with me. I think the acting also at times was a bit off. I'm not complaining, it looked absolutely amazing, top notch production, very well shot, I loved the structure of the story and I thought they kept it very interesting when touching on themes of religion, mortality and ethics without really being heavy handed.

The fights were great, characters were really rich in depth with great motivations and story arcs. The grandmother sleeve was by far my favorite part of the whole series. Great acting by that actor, he was really endearing when portraying a frail old woman. Even the actor that played Lizzy's mom, he did great too. Overall a great watch and I hope they will continue with more seasons with the same production quality.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »
Just started watching. Me likey

Its like Blade runner + Ghost in the shell + demolition man + The Matrix + Total Recall. 5 of my favs.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:34:02 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
Ok, finished watching the show last night and here's my take:

Overall I liked the show, as people have said there's an interesting Blade Runner feel to the city that clicks all the right buttons for me, the mix of bright neon with the dark and damp streets is pretty good. I liked the whole background story of the world and how the human race has evolved and what society has come to, as Lonestar said, the difference between Grounders and Meths is pretty obvious and a good comparison to how society works nowadays.
I would love to know more about this ancient race and what we know about them, they were presented as an important part of the universe but not much was explained to us. I understand that it might not be that important to the story they were telling but I'm still curious.

Regarding acting, I loved Poe, I think he was by far the best character in the show. It's very interesting how he manages to be the most human character of them all while all the time showing signs that he's not actually a human.
Leung is also an interesting character, it was quite hard to place his real intentions before they are actually revealed. I thought he would be a part of some kind of religious anti-stack kind of cult and not the exact opposite.
Special mentions to Quell and Bancroft as well, both of them were portrayed excellently.
The rest of them are just OK, and I do have to agree with that guy that the chemistry between the main characters is not that good, but I think that might be because they are both a little too extreme in their portrayal, Tak playing the "tough dude" that softens and Ortega being the "End justifies the means" kind of person to an unrealistic levels. Those 2 were too cliche for their own good.

The ending is the thing that brings it down for me a little bit, all that final scene in Head in the Clouds is full of cliche and stupid things, like the fight between Tak and his sister, it's just so over the top. I forgot her in the acting section, but I think that was a bad choice. I can understand how after all the years of pushing people around and getting her way with things she thinks she can do that with Tak, but she's so bad at demonstrating emotions.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
Great choice  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2018, 11:47:55 AM »
Cool and the Gang!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »
Fuck yeah!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2018, 01:09:51 PM »
Season 2 is a go with Anthony Mackie as Kovacs.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/altered-carbon-renewed-season-2-new-star-anthony-mackie-1130243
Fuck yes.

Really glad they're continuing with Kovacs' story. There was talk of whether they'd ignore the other books and make it an anthology series but that would have just been really weird to be honest.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2018, 11:25:56 AM »
Awesome. While I'm not the biggest fan of Mackie and have a REALLY hard time seeing liking him even a smidgen as much as my boy Kinnaman, whom I adore in every role, I'm still excited to see the story itself go on. It's tough watching Mackie in Avengers movies (I know i've seen him in a couple non-superhero movies, but not many) cracking one liners and being fairly silly to imagining him in this, but if he can pull it off, that'd be awesome.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.