Author Topic: Altered Carbon - NETFLIX  (Read 12978 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Altered Carbon - NETFLIX
« on: January 15, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »
Didn't even know this was coming... I had read the books years ago and devoured them as they came out. Great sci-fi cyberpunk stuff, hopefully Netflix does it a proper treatment. Based on the trailer, it seems they did it some justice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFM8akm9a4

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Altered Carbon - NETFLIX
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:53:35 PM »
Yeah. This one looks cool. Can’t wait.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
I'm excited as well. First episode is being directed by Miguel Sapochnik, so very excited to see how it goes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »
Looks pretty cool. Like a mix between blade runner and Ghost in the shell. I'll be checking it out.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:58 AM »
This does looks good, and I liked Joel Kinnaman from watching him in The Killing, so I really hope it's decent.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:11:50 AM »
This does looks good, and I liked Joel Kinnaman from watching him in The Killing, so I really hope it's decent.

Exactly^^^^. From watching the trailer, it looks like a winner, we'll see. It's great to see so much good work being done on TV these days with all of the streaming services having original programming with some decent $$$ and even bringing some 'heavy hitting' actors on board.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 11:45:25 AM »
The books were a whirlwind...the type that would make you miss appointments and be late for work.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:16 PM »
The books were a whirlwind...the type that would make you miss appointments and be late for work.

Wish I could get into them ... I'm currently on book 2 of The Saga of the Seven Suns.

None-the-less, this looks badass.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 10:43:13 PM »
Did you try to read them? I'd find it hard to believe anyone of a nerd of our caliber wouldn't be hooked.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 06:17:33 AM »
Did you try to read them? I'd find it hard to believe anyone of a nerd of our caliber wouldn't be hooked.

No... never heard of 'em before - should've clarified that I wish I had the TIME to get into them.  I don't read a ton, and like I said... I'm only on book 2 of a 7-book series.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
Ah, gotcha. They're a captivating read for sure, though I'm kind of the same way these days. Maybe I could have time to read, but so much more in life commands my attention. Personally, I blame streaming services.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 04:02:43 PM »
Echoing the sentiments about Blade and Ghost and that is a very good thing for me. I'm definitely going to check this out.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 08:31:19 AM »

Loved his character in The Killing. I'd like to see a spinoff or something for that character alone.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »

Loved his character in The Killing. I'd like to see a spinoff or something for that character alone.

That would be cool, although I can't really see it happening. The Robocop reboot was alright-ish, but it would be cool to see him get a chance at something with real quality. Hopefully this is it..

Online faizoff

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 03:25:51 PM »
Love Joel Kinnaman, I too saw him first in The Killing. He was awesome in that show. I loved him in House of Cards as well. His Robocop portrayal was great but that movie was a dud not really due to him, the script was bad.

Altered Carbon drops tomorrow and can't wait to check it out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 04:32:29 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaand GO!!!

So, two episodes in, and man, this is one dynamite show. Such a gritty, dark feel about it, though I can see for anyone who didn't read the books could get a bit lost in the details. Pay attention folks.

It's fucking dark though, and it's only gonna get darker....

Edit 3- Ep 4........ just, Ep 4....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:43:22 PM by lonestar »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 12:11:35 AM »
With ya RJ! Episode 4 was insane! Wish I weren’t so tired I’d hammer out a couple more tonight but my eyelids aren’t cooperating

Really good show thus far.  :tup

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:45:28 PM »
Just finished episode 4. Headmelter!

I’m enjoying it so far, but there sure is a lot to process!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 03:50:39 PM »

I’m enjoying it so far, but there sure is a lot to process!

Totally this. I really like the show and I’m sure I’m not picking up on all the info and subtlety that they are placing in the episodes. There’s just a ton to absorb.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »
Ep 7 explains a good deal of back story from  Tak's past, but yeah, it is a busy show, very curious to see how this plays out. I only vaguely remember the end of the book (read it years ago, when I was drinking heavily so not much was retained lol)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 08:21:47 PM »
OK I'm done.

Outstanding show, some loose ends, for sure there is a possibility for more seasons (there's two more books I think), and I had some very minor issues, but man, been a while since a show had me that captivated.

Now hurry up and finish guys so we can shoot the shit about it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »
OK I'm done.

Outstanding show, some loose ends, for sure there is a possibility for more seasons (there's two more books I think), and I had some very minor issues, but man, been a while since a show had me that captivated.

Now hurry up and finish guys so we can shoot the shit about it.

Guess I'll download onto iPad, and watch on a few train rides this week.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »
 :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 12:14:02 AM »
Through Ep 8. Two more to go. Man this is really well done. I’ll finish it up tomorrow for sure then we can shoot the breeze RJ.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 10:44:41 PM »
Finished. Really liked it. Such an interesting concept. I’d like to see if they do attempt another season. They definitely left it open enough and from what I gather there are more books?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 11:27:15 PM »
Yeah, there's two more books, and this season basically covered the first book. I think it's creating enough of a wave to warrant getting renewed.

Tiny font time.... The closing 20 minutes with Kovacs and his sister, especially after he shot her, was so well done. I think the strongest aspect of the series in general was how it portrayed the extremes of the class differences between the grounders and the meths. Between things like the fight scene at Bancroft's party, or the sex trade at Rei's brothel in the sky, the pay for snuff sex, it really showed how the human side of humanity is bred in the struggle of life, not in the success. They just nailed that man. Also, the scene where Garcia killed all of Rei's clones was just off the fucking charts intense.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 01:58:43 AM »
Stayed up way too late last night to finish it. So much to digest, but very very good. There's some really interesting ideas about what humanity would become if it were possible to cheat death and live on forever. The production values of this show are top notch. It must have cost a fortune to produce.

One thing I'd say to anyone starting to watch it is - you need to keep paying attention. It's a complex story, and it's sometimes hard to follow along unless you have been concentrating the whole time. Maybe binge watching it isn't the best way to absorb all the details.

This is perhaps something I'd missed, but does anyone know the significance of the pink Hello Unicorn bag? Whose was it and where did it come from?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 06:35:58 AM »

Totally agree. That’s what I thought was most compelling about the show was that I think it pretty much nailed how the social classes would approach eternal life. You’d still have your ‘religious’ sect that would view that tech as an abomination, you’d have the middle class (grounders) basically being shafted by the likes of the ‘sky’ folk.

I forgot the exact quote but I think it was along the lines of when you remove death from the equation our humanity would take a back seat to what you’ve described.....the deep, dark desires and impulses. There’d be no reason ‘not’ to act them out? Especially when your ‘soul’ has been diluted by living far beyond what was naturally intended.

Only bummer about going forward is that I’d assume they’d be done with Riker / Joel Kinneman. I thought he was excellent! I’m sure with the buzz and success of this season they’d be able to land a comparable actor for Tak’s next sleeve.

I felt bad for Poe. I’d assume an AI would have the belief they’d never ‘die’....so, his demise was probably a shock to him and it was tough to see him go out like that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 06:38:35 AM »
Stayed up way too late last night to finish it. So much to digest, but very very good. There's some really interesting ideas about what humanity would become if it were possible to cheat death and live on forever. The production values of this show are top notch. It must have cost a fortune to produce.

One thing I'd say to anyone starting to watch it is - you need to keep paying attention. It's a complex story, and it's sometimes hard to follow along unless you have been concentrating the whole time. Maybe binge watching it isn't the best way to absorb all the details.

This is perhaps something I'd missed, but does anyone know the significance of the pink Hello Unicorn bag? Whose was it and where did it come from?

The bag was from the first episode when Tak chose to go out and get wasted for a night. He bought the entire bag of dope from the dope dealer.

And...totally agree. There is a ton to bite off and digest in this show. Especially in the first few episodes. It’s Game of Thrones level where there are just so many things to pick up on I’m positive I missed some stuff

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 07:25:08 AM »
Ah - got ya. It's just his handy-to-have-around, drugs/weapons bag.

A bit like those eco friendly "bags for life" that the supermarkets are making us buy to cut down on plastic.  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 09:45:05 AM »
The bag was awesome. He'd be in a total bloodletting shootout and the thing in the center of the shot is his Hello Unicorn bag. Made me laugh every time.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
Just to add nothing about the plot, but SHEESH!!! Does this show look AMAZING in dolby vision? :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »
RJ....do the other two books continue to follow Tak's story or is it just a continuation in that 'time' with other characters?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
I only read the second, not the third, and that takes place some time after the Altered Carbon story. Takeshi is always the main character though.

I gotta do some reading now lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »
Finally finished it yesterday.  All kinds of awesome.  Loved Poe.  So much T&A though... made it somewhat awkward watching it on the train to/from work!   :lol

Fuck tiny font....  Spoilers if you're still watching.  Just some random thoughts I wasn't quite following:

Did I miss Kovacs shooting Rei on Head in the Clouds?  I thought they only stabbed each other, then she shot him.
So many intricate details that I'm sure make a lot more sense in a book than TV.  Like, the whole casting thing... didn't quite follow that.  Also, is switching stacks like ejecting a DVD?  How did Rei switch into Ortega's sleeve so easily - or did she just print up an Ortega-clone?  And they never did explain how Leung was able to be the 'ghost walker'.  And Riker coming back... he's going to be in a synthetic sleeve.  I'm sure that'll go over well  :lol

So, is Quell really alive somewhere, or was Rei duping Tak with that?

And damn... now I want to read the books - but I'm only on book 2 of a seven-series book atm.