Author Topic: THE WILSON CUP (Steven Wilson tournament) - Home thread  (Read 149 times)

Offline RoeDent

THE WILSON CUP (Steven Wilson tournament) - Home thread
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:18:18 PM »
Welcome to The Wilson Cup 2018! A shiny new (and hopefully fun and positive) way of determining a Champion among Steven Wilson songs. What are we doing here? Well...

FORMAT
50 songs will compete in the tournament. 45 songs (most of the tracks from the 5 studio albums) are qualified automatically. Other tracks (bonus tracks, Cover Version (original songs only), 4˝ EP, plus the shorter tracks/interludes from the main albums) will enter a qualification tournament for the last five slots.

QUALIFYING TOURNAMENT
I kinda want this done as quickly as possible, so we can get to the meat of the tournament. So, you'll be asked to choose FIVE songs from the list below that you feel should get the chance to compete in the main tournament. Depending on the number of participants we have, after this round (which I'm thinking of leaving open for 3 days) we'll eliminate the songs with fewer votes. If there are five songs overwhelmingly ahead, we'll just end the tournament there and those five songs will compete. But that's probably unlikely to happen. So we'll have subsequent rounds under the same format) until we have five songs left.

GROUP STAGE
The 50 songs will be drawn at random into five groups of ten songs each (groups labelled A-E). Each group will compete in a round-robin tournament. Songs will be awarded 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie and 0 points for a loss. The top 3 songs in each group after all the songs have competed against each other (9 rounds) will qualify for the knockout stages along with the best-ranked 4th-placed song. Songs tied on points will be separated by (1) vote differential, (2) matches won, (3) total votes, (4) head-to-head record. If there's a tie to determine which 4th-placed song progresses, a playoff round will take place.

KNOCKOUT STAGE
This will be a single-elimination knockout tournament, consisting of a round of 16, quarter-finals (8), semi-finals (4) and the final (2). Rounds will last 48 hours. If any ties occur, 1-day tiebreaker rounds may take place. All matches in each round will be determined by random draw.

SONGS

MAIN DRAW (45 SONGS + 5 QUALIFIERS)
HARMONY KORINE, ABANDONER, SALVAGING, VENENO PARA LAS HADAS, NO TWILIGHT..., SIGNIFICANT OTHER, ONLY CHILD, TWILIGHT CODA, GET ALL YOU DESERVE, INSURGENTES

SECTARIAN, DEFORM TO FORM A STAR, NO PART OF ME, POSTCARD, REMAINDER THE BLACK DOG, INDEX, TRACK ONE, RAIDER II, LIKE DUST I HAVE CLEARED FROM MY EYE

LUMINOL, DRIVE HOME, THE HOLY DRINKER, THE PIN DROP, THE WATCHMAKER, THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING,

THREE YEARS OLDER, HAND CANNOT ERASE, PERFECT LIFE, ROUTINE, HOME INVASION, REGRET #9, TRANSIENCE, ANCESTRAL, HAPPY RETURNS,

TO THE BONE, NOWHERE NOW, PARIAH, THE SAME ASYLUM AS BEFORE, REFUGE, PERMANATING, BLANK TAPES, PEOPLE WHO EAT DARKNESS, SONG OF I, DETONATION, SONG OF UNBORN,

MY BOOK OF REGRETS, HAPPINESS III, VERMILLIONCORE, THE BIRTHDAY PARTY, DON'T HATE ME (2016)

-------------------------------------

I'm planning on starting this on Monday 15th January. Btw, I will probably replace the song list above with group tables and/or match results when we reach the main stage.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:26:34 AM by RoeDent »
THE WILSON CUP, a Steven Wilson tournament
NOW RUNNING AT POLLS & SURVIVORS
CURRENT STAGE: Groups A & B, Round 1
 Results/Discussion thread

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
Re: THE WILSON CUP - Home thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
Cool!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Nice... I'm seeing him live on the 26th of February so will be listening a lot anyway....

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
A few extra things, for the Group Stage draw:

1. Each group will include one of the five qualifiers.

2. There will be a maximum of three songs from the same album in the same group.

3. I'll probably need a day or two after the qualifying tournament in order to set everything up, draw the groups and match orders.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
This is nice, I'll try to participate as much as I can.

Offline wolfking

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 04:51:38 PM »
Who is Wilson, is it?

Offline RoeDent

Re: THE WILSON CUP (Steven Wilson tournament) - Home thread
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:17:39 AM »
My apologies. I can't believe that, in the entire OP, I didn't mention the man whose songs we're playing with here. Just to clarify, this is a Steven Wilson tournament, dealing mainly with his five solo albums.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 01:45:16 AM »
We have our five Qualifiers! They are My Book of Regrets, Happiness III, Vermillioncore, The Birthday Party and Don't Hate Me (2016). These join the 45 songs automatically in the main draw (all the main studio album tracks). A few words about the draw:

GROUP STAGE DRAW PROCEDURE

The songs will be drawn into five groups, with 10 songs in each group. The five Qualifiers (listed above) are in a separate pot and will be drawn last, one going into slot 10 of each group. Also, there will be a maximum of three songs from the same album drawn into the same group.

I have all the songs written on pieces of paper, which I will draw at random out of a bowl. The 1st song will go into Group A, slot 1, then it will be B1, C1, D1, E1, then A2, B2 and so on. I will post the groups when the draw is complete, but then I have to arrange all the matchups. I will use a round-robin tournament generator to do this, and then a number randomizer to jumble the Round numbers around. The result will be the order in which all the songs in each group face each other.

MATCH SCHEDULING: So I don't clog up the P&S page more than I need to, some of the groups' matches will be posted in the same thread. So on day 1 I'll post Round 1 for Groups A & B, then the next day I'll post Group C, then Groups D & E the following day. After that we go back to Groups A & B for Round 2, and so on. So all being well, the group stage should last around 28 days. Each poll will be open for 24 hours.

The Group Stage should hopefully begin tomorrow morning, UK time. Now, to set everything up. Wish me luck!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 01:50:04 AM »
Puncture Wound is dead :( long live Puncture Wound

Good luck with the draw. I trust that you’ll do this honestly. I’ll be here for the remainder of the tournament to vote (and to watch how this new system of ‘survivor’ will turn out!)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 03:00:59 AM »
Good luck with the draw...

And yay for the Birthday Party getting in.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 03:14:58 AM »
The draw has been made! This is 100% exactly how the draw turned out. As it happens, only once did I need to skip over a group due to the "3 songs from the same album" rule. Also, some funny coincidences in Group A, namely Home Invasion and Regret #9 being drawn into the same group, and Regret #9 being drawn into slot #9. Anyway, here are the groups in full:

GROUP A
1. THE SAME ASYLUM AS BEFORE
2. THE PIN DROP
3. SECTARIAN
4. BLANK TAPES
5. THE WATCHMAKER
6. SALVAGING
7. HOME INVASION
8. ABANDONER
9. REGRET #9
10. MY BOOK OF REGRETS

GROUP B
1. LIKE DUST I HAVE CLEARED FROM MY EYE
2. SIGNIFICANT OTHER
3. TO THE BONE
4. DRIVE HOME
5. THREE YEARS OLDER
6. INSURGENTES
7. HAPPY RETURNS
8. PARIAH
9. SONG OF I
10. HAPPINESS III

GROUP C
1. SONG OF UNBORN
2. THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING
3. PERFECT LIFE
4. ANCESTRAL
5. HAND CANNOT ERASE
6. ONLY CHILD
7. POSTCARD
8. NO TWILIGHT WITHIN THE COURTS OF THE SUN
9. TWILIGHT CODA
10. VERMILLIONCORE

GROUP D
1. VENENO PARA LAS HADAS
2. DETONATION
3. DEFORM TO FORM A STAR
4. TRANSIENCE
5. PERMANATING
6. LUMINOL
7. ROUTINE
8. RAIDER II
9. TRACK ONE
10. DON'T HATE ME (2016)

GROUP E
1. THE HOLY DRINKER
2. REMAINDER THE BLACK DOG
3. PEOPLE WHO EAT DARKNESS
4. GET ALL YOU DESERVE
5. NOWHERE NOW
6. REFUGE
7. HARMONY KORINE
8. NO PART OF ME
9. INDEX
10. THE BIRTHDAY PARTY

------------------------------------------------------

Each group is its own separate tournament. Songs will be paired up against each other, and you pick the song you want to win each match. Songs will receive 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie and 0 points for a loss. Vote differential will be taken into account, and used as the first tiebreaker between songs with equal points. Subsequent tiebreakers are, in order: matches won; votes for; head-to-head record.

After each song has gone up against every other song in its group (over 9 rounds), the Top 3 songs in each group will progress to the knockout stage, along with the best-performing 4th-placed song. There will be no seeding involved. The songs that progress will simply go into the random draw for the Round of 16.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni