Author Topic: RIP, Not Quite Famous Enough For Your Own Thread Person  (Read 1757 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
RIP, Not Quite Famous Enough For Your Own Thread Person
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:30:45 AM »
Fast Eddie Clark died yesterday. Damn shame. That's 2/3 or the classic Motörhead line-up. I was also a big Fastway fan, which was also the first band I ever saw live.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/11/fast-eddie-clarke-motorhead-guitarist-dies
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: RIP, Not Quite Famous Enough For Your Own Thread Person
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:34:18 AM »
Fast Eddie Clark died yesterday. Damn shame. That's 2/3 or the classic Motörhead line-up. I was also a big Fastway fan, which was also the first band I ever saw live.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/11/fast-eddie-clarke-motorhead-guitarist-dies

Actually, all three are gone now; Phil went in November of 2015, Lemmy in December of that year, and now Eddie.

But nice call on Fastway!   I saw them open for Iron Maiden on the Piece of Mind tour, and loved it.  David King could sing (still can, though he's doing something very different - he's the singer in Flogging Molly, a sort of punk Irish folk band), and those first two Fastway albums are stellar (yes, I like the second one as well). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:02:22 AM »
I saw Fastway open for Rush on the Grace Under Pressure tour

R.I.P.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:55:57 AM »
That's sort of an odd bill.  Though I saw Primus open for Rush, so who knows?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »
Here is the list of openers I saw for Rush.

Fastway
Vinnie Moore
The Steve Morse Band
Marillion
Mr. Big
Primus
Gary Moore
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »
I still kick myself for that.  It was the fall of 1985, I was in Chemistry lab with some dude named Patrick, and he was going to Rush/Marillion in Worcester, and offered me an extra ticket.   For various reasons - none of them significant, or relevant, just life - I said no.  It's one of the few shows I regret not going to see.   It was one of the "booing" shows if memory serves. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »
They played all of Misplaced Childhood.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:56:03 PM »

Fastway
Vinnie Moore
The Steve Morse Band
Marillion
Mr. Big
Primus
Gary Moore

I think I got

Gary Moore on the p/g tour
Steve Morse and Fabulous Thunderbirds (gag!) on Power Windows
Tommy Shaw on HYF
Mr. Big on Presto (they had Voivod on some dates...WTF?)
Primus and Mr. Big on RTB
Candlebox on Counterparts

Thankfully, they then stopped having opening bands.

RIP Eddie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »
Saw Michael Schenker open the HYF tour here.

Also saw Fastway open for Maiden. I like All Fired Up, their second album, as well.

One of my first Christmas hauls when I was a kid getting into music included Motorhead's No Sleep Till Hammersmith. Loved to cut the grass to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 06:08:08 PM »

Fastway
Vinnie Moore
The Steve Morse Band
Marillion
Mr. Big
Primus
Gary Moore

Nice.

Saw Rush 11 times between 1986 and 1992 and the only bands to open during that time were Marillion, Tommy Shaw, Vinnie Moore and Mr. Big. (At least I got to see Misplaced Childhood live twice.)

Would have loved to have seen Steve Morse and Primus during those years but unfortunately that never happened.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 09:11:16 PM »
Billy Sheehan was the bearer of some very sad news earlier today.

https://m.facebook.com/home.php#!/story.php?story_fbid=10156002505706877&id=36797576876&fs=5

Damn it. Pat Torpey was one amazing drummer. Still remember the days when me and my brother had this "contest" between favorite bands, him taking Mr. Big while I am on the side of Extreme. Good times.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 11:53:06 PM »
Billy Sheehan was the bearer of some very sad news earlier today.

https://m.facebook.com/home.php#!/story.php?story_fbid=10156002505706877&id=36797576876&fs=5

Damn it. Pat Torpey was one amazing drummer. Still remember the days when me and my brother had this "contest" between favorite bands, him taking Mr. Big while I am on the side of Extreme. Good times.

No!
RIP Mr Big Torpey.

"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 12:32:32 PM »
Paul Raymond checked out today. He was the unsung hero of UFO, playing keys, rhythm guitar, and backing vocals. Overshadowed by Schenker, Mogg, and Vinnie Moore he was always back there filling out their sound.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ufo-keyboardist-guitarist-paul-raymond-dead-at-73/

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »
 :omg: :omg: :omg:

How could Pete Way outlive anyone in that band?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 02:48:27 PM »
Such a shame. He was a huge part of UFO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 03:44:18 PM »
Yes, this is very sad. I was just telling my wife that he played some of the most important music of my life.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 01:58:34 AM »
It always impressed the hell out of me how Paul Raymond would be playing keys with his guitar slung across his back, plugged in and ready to go. Then the solo would come around and he'd quickly switch over and play rhythm, and then switch back to keys, all in one song. Completely agree on the unsung hero remark, UFO's sound would not have been the same without him. He will be missed. RIP

Gotta listen to Love to Love now.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 05:04:09 AM »
Wow, that's a big loss.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 05:53:55 AM »
Can we change the title of this thread please? I think this title is not very respectful toward recently deceased people.
In the Genesis forum, this thread is named "For Absent Friends", something like that would be nice.

Anyway, RIP Mr. Raymond.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 10:41:39 AM »
Paul Raymond took UFO from a good band to a great band.

Echoing TAC's and Imaginos's comments:

When I was in high school, I had one of those record player/cassette player/8-track player combo units.  At some point, something happened with the output for one of the speakers, so I was getting something like 80% right channel and 20% left channel.  I have no idea why, but it took me a while to notice that.  During that time, I borrowed Strangers in the Night from a friend's brother.  I played it like crazy and went out and bought my own copy.  Raymond's guitar and keys were on the 80% side and Schenker was on the 20% side.  Obviously, it sounded better once I figured out what was going on and replaced my stereo, but I loved how Paul went back and forth from rhythm guitar to keys as the songs called for it.  When I got into a band myself, I kept telling the guitar player that I wanted to get a Paul Raymond type into the band for that exact reason.  Unfortunately, he was too insecure with his own playing to agree to a second guitar player.

RIP
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 01:33:31 PM »
Funny how that works; I remember being at a party and hearing Van Halen, and the person ran one channel out to the deck, and one channel to the kitchen.  The idea, of course (that didn't work) was that the sound would mingle and it would sound great!   So I was out on the deck and basically I heard Van Halen only, meaning, Eddie and Alex.  (The bass, vocals, and backing vox were panned into the kitchen).  To everyone else it sounded shit, but to me it was a master class.   

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 02:51:50 AM »
Paul Raymond checked out today. He was the unsung hero of UFO, playing keys, rhythm guitar, and backing vocals. Overshadowed by Schenker, Mogg, and Vinnie Moore he was always back there filling out their sound.

At least Raymond was recognized as a member. Unlike the 5th member of Queen, Spike Edney.