Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
10 (3.3%)
Hello Goodbye
9 (3%)
Doctor Robert
7 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: October 23, 2023, 08:49:31 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these songs by the Beatles - Part I  (Read 1646 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorites of these songs by the Beatles - Part I
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »
You can vote for up to 7.

Songs only from Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour.

This was not easy, which makes it both fun and torture.  :lol :lol

I went with:

Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day in the Life
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
For No One
Doctor Robert
Lovely Rita
I Am the Walrus

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Your favorites of these songs by the Beatles - Part I
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »
I literally could have voted for all of these. I've been listening to The Beatles since I was practically in the womb--both my folks are HUGE fans, Dad especially. Anyhoo..

A Day in the Life (and now they know how many holes it takes to fill The Albert Hall :laugh: )
Penny Lane (for obvious reasons if you know what my real name is)
I Am the Walrus (I *loved* the call back to this one on the White Album too, but yeah. Lennon writing at its finest.)
Strawberry Fields Forever (If you made me choose my absolute favorite Beatles song, this would likely be it.)
And Your Bird Can Sing (like so many of their songs, the vocal harmonies on this one are excellent)
Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite! (you forgot the exclamation point xD )

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:08:10 PM »
Eleanor Bigby
A Day in the Life
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Hello Goodbye
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:14:06 PM »

Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite! (you forgot the exclamation point xD )

Sonofa... :facepalm:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:25:52 PM »
 :lol

It's all good, man.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »
Eleanor Rigby
Magical Mystery Tour
A Day in the Life
I am the Walrus
Strawberry Fields
Lucy in the Sky
Fool on the Hill

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 04:44:21 AM »
Where's Got To Get You Into My Life???
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:06:33 AM »
Fantastic poll.  :tup

Well, first I went with the four songs that actually are my top four song:

I Am the Walrus
A Day in the Life
Strawbery Fields Forever
Tomorrow Never Knows

Then there's another one that's among my all time favorite songs by The Beatles: Here, There and Everywhere. One of the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard in my life, and probably Paul's masterpiece.

And then I had to go with two tunes that could be considered slightly underrated, but I adore them: Doctor Robert and Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 05:44:42 AM »
A Day in the Life
I am the Walrus
Strawberry Fields Forever
The Fool on the Hill
Magical Mystery Tour
Tomorrow Never Knows
LSD
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:22 AM »
She Said She Said is a criminally underrated Beatles track.  My votes:

A Day in the Life
Tomorrow Never Knows
Doctor Robert
I Am the Walrus
Taxman
Eleanor Rigby

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:03 AM »
I literally can't do this.   I'm like Debra, in that the Beatles were part of my life since day one (my mom has bought me three records unsolicitied:   Rolling Stones Hot Rocks, and - the day after John died - the Red and Blue Capital compilations).   I always say the Beatles are my favorite band (I'm the guy that has the "stereo mixes" and the "mono mixes", etc.) and I consider Paul McCartney to be the greatest living (rock) musician on the planet.   

A Day In The Life is my favorite Beatles song, but I tend to like the mid-period psychedelic stuff, and the rockier stuff from the late period.  Literally the only Beatles songs I actively DISLIKE are "Within You Without You", and "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da". 

I will give it another try though. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
I went with:

Lovely Rita
Magical Mystery Tour
A Day In The Life
Strawberry Fields Forever  (to this day, I'm blown away by the splice at about :47.  Amazing to me how "lucky" they were in some ways; the acoustic demo version on the "Anthology" set is essential as well.)
Tomorrow Never Knows
And Your Bird Can Sing
Doctor Robert

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
I guess I'll go with:

Lovely Rita
Eleanor Rigby
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Penny Lane
When I'm Sixty Four
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help from My Friends

That was excruciating. They're all really good. I'm a bit newer to The Beatles than most (as much as you can be new to The Beatles) and I didn't really grow up with these songs, but they're just so good. Even the stuff I don't like as much (most of the Magical Mystery Tour album) I still think is good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »
Even the stuff I don't like as much (most of the Magical Mystery Tour album) I still think is good.

While this speaks for me as well, there is something that keeps nearly all of this good material from being great.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 05:42:15 PM »
Well...geez...this was all but impossible.  I went with:

Magical Mystery Tour
Here, There and Everywhere
Penny Lane
I Am the Walrus
Taxman
The Fool on the Hill
Mr. Kite

The only songs listed that I'm kinda "meh" over are A Day in the Life (I just don't get why everyone gets so excited about this song), When I'm Sixty Four and Doctor Robert.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »
the Red and Blue Capital compilations).

The first two albums I bought after I got my own stereo unit for my birthday.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 07:52:01 PM »
I almost wanted to vote for every Revolver song on here, but I couldn't bring myself to do that, so instead, here's my seven picks:
For No One - I love the horn solo, it's one of the more unique songs by them.
Magical Mystery Tour - A great song, a fave from MMT.
A Day In The Life - Groundbreaking and amazing. Just listened to it as I drove home just now.
Strawberry Fields Forever - Probably my fave track from MMT.
Tomorrow Never Knows - one of my absolute faves by the Beatles.
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Classic, there was no way I couldn't pick this.
And Your Bird Can Sing - Amazing vocals and bass lines.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 10:59:18 PM »
I literally can't do this.   I'm like Debra, in that the Beatles were part of my life since day one (my mom has bought me three records unsolicitied:   Rolling Stones Hot Rocks, and - the day after John died - the Red and Blue Capital compilations).

There's a lot of our "generation" who are like this - their parents or older siblings were fans of The Beatles, and the love of the band got passed to you. My brother did that with Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Blue Oyster Cult.. way too many to name. My egg donor also contributed with a band called "Sons of Beatles" by John Lennon - ELO. Dad did that with The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Dire Straits, Eagles.. again, way too many to name.

Literally the only Beatles songs I actively DISLIKE are "Within You Without You", and "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da".

I can kind of see your case for Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. But not Within You, Without You. I have so much love for that song, mainly because George's songs were always so underrated but literal gems as much as the Lennon/McCartney songs were. It really sums up what would come to be his philosophy until his death - life flows on within you and without you. That's deep. Meaningful. When I'm in a certain mood, that song can bring tears to my eyes. But.. personal tastes and whatnot. Is all good.

That was excruciating. They're all really good. I'm a bit newer to The Beatles than most (as much as you can be new to The Beatles) and I didn't really grow up with these songs, but they're just so good. Even the stuff I don't like as much (most of the Magical Mystery Tour album) I still think is good.

You don't have to have grown up with The Beatles to "get" them. That's awesome. :)

I could quote until my fingers bleed, but it's clear that their impact on music will be felt for many, many years to come. I couldn't be happier about that, too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
I can kind of see your case for Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. But not Within You, Without You. I have so much love for that song, mainly because George's songs were always so underrated but literal gems as much as the Lennon/McCartney songs were. It really sums up what would come to be his philosophy until his death - life flows on within you and without you. That's deep. Meaningful. When I'm in a certain mood, that song can bring tears to my eyes. But.. personal tastes and whatnot. Is all good.

I think it would be far better, and I might like it more, if it wasn't on Sgt. Pepper.  For me - and I get it, it's just my taste - it seems to stick out like a sore thumb.  I love the poppy psychedelia of Sgt. Pepper, the nonsense of "Rita", "Kite", the two "Sgt. Pepper" songs... and WYWY is not that.  I like "The Inner Light", which isn't that far off, and I love "Savoy Truffle".  It goes without saying that "Something" and "While My Guitar..." are legendary.   LEGENDARY. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 10:59:45 AM »
This is gonna be tough.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »

I think it would be far better, and I might like it more, if it wasn't on Sgt. Pepper.  For me - and I get it, it's just my taste - it seems to stick out like a sore thumb.  I love the poppy psychedelia of Sgt. Pepper, the nonsense of "Rita", "Kite", the two "Sgt. Pepper" songs... and WYWY is not that.  I like "The Inner Light", which isn't that far off, and I love "Savoy Truffle".  It goes without saying that "Something" and "While My Guitar..." are legendary.   LEGENDARY.

I'm on the same page with George's songs being criminally underappreciated, but I'm also not a huge fan of WYWY (although not for the same reasons).  I also originally read this as referring to "poopy psychadelia" and then did a spit take when I realized I had misread it.