Author Topic: Justin Timberlake Tour Logo  (Read 5097 times)

Offline New World Rushman

Justin Timberlake Tour Logo
« on: January 09, 2018, 06:23:45 AM »
Don't think I've sen this discussed here.
Noticed this on a tour announcement, look familiar?

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Re: Justin Timberlake Tour Logo
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:25:24 AM »
DT as his back-up band?

"Hit it, boys!"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:03:18 AM »

There are certainly some similarities, but most of that comes from the horizontal symmetry you get when you superimpose certain letters on each other.  Someone once said that the Majesty logo is basically all the letters in the word "Majesty" written on top of each other.  When you look more closely, that might be true, but some of the letters must be pretty stylized for that to work.  The letter "T" is the first thing I see in Timberlake's logo, and there's at least one way for form a "J" from the rest of it, but the Timberlake logo looks more like a cool design made by superimposing some shapes.

Probably the primary difference is that the Timberlake logo has straight lines forming most of the "outer border" whereas the Majesty logo features the "O" more prominently surrounding things.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:16:56 AM »
I'm getting more of a Deathly Hallows vibe from the Timberlake logo.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:36:28 AM »
What is that even supposed to stand for?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:10:24 AM »
I'm getting more of a Deathly Hallows vibe from the Timberlake logo.

Good call.  I can totally see that.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:25:42 AM »
The similarity is certainly accidental and the logo is still great. It would be cool, though, if Justin happened to be inspired by the DT logo, but the chances are slim to nil.  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:53 AM »
The joke, of course, will be on us when JT plays a medley of Ytse Jam, Under A Glass Moon, and Innocence Faded in the middle of his set.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 08:54:23 AM »
The joke, of course, will be on us when JT plays a medley of Ytse Jam, Under A Glass Moon, and Innocence Faded in the middle of his set.  :lol
I hope he doesn't do that again.  It was cool the first time he did it, but after three tours, it is getting old.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »
I hope he doesn't do that again.  It was cool the first time he did it, but after three tours, it is getting old.

JT just isn't the same once he went to the static setlist.  I liked it when he mixed it up every show.  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »
Well, it isn't a coincidence that that change happened right at the time his long time drummer left and they brought in a new guy.  The old drummer was responsible for the set lists. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
I just hope he busts out some rare demos for this tour.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 09:56:37 AM »

:neverusethis:

Just saying.. if any of y'all wanna sue Elite, I know a couple good lawyers
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
Timberlake is calling this tour the "Man Of The Woods" tour, and the logo is nothing more than a conglomeration of the letters M, O, T and W.

That being said, using the parlance of trademark law, I think DT could make a fairly decent argument that the two logos are confusingly similar.  However, other elements of the various tests used in trademark infringement cases would probably militate against a finding of infringement.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »
Someone once said that the Majesty logo is basically all the letters in the word "Majesty" written on top of each other.

It thought their logo was made from the letters in "Dominici" superimposed over top of each other?

:neverusethis:

Just saying.. if any of y'all wanna sue Elite, I know a couple good lawyers

Honestly, that looks more like a Fullmetal Alchemist transmutation circle. Are they a band made up entirely of people who lost their mothers and have heavy metal limbs? Do they try to bring back their dead mothers every concert? I can just imagine their rehearsals.

"Alright, boys, the circle is drawn and we have all the ingredients. We're going to rock so hard it's going to bring our mothers back!"

"This seems like a terrible idea."

"Al, why are you like this? Every time we try to bring our mothers back with the power of rock'n'roll you gotta rain on our parade."

"I only have so many limbs to lose, Ed. Do you know how hard it is to do hammer-ons with a metal arm without breaking your guitar neck in half?"

"I miss mom."

"Shut up Nina, or we're fusing you with a dog again."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
Someone once said that the Majesty logo is basically all the letters in the word "Majesty" written on top of each other.

It thought their logo was made from the letters in "Dominici" superimposed over top of each other?

Although I think it's pretty well established that Charlie created the Majesty symbol, I think it's a coincidence that all of the letters in "Dominici" can be made from it.  It's seriously not possibly to get all of the letters of "Majesty" without some serious straining.  If someone wants to start the Phi Lambda Mu fraternity, it would make a great logo.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Art

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 11:09:41 AM »
He's bringing prog back.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 11:15:41 AM »

Although I think it's pretty well established that Charlie created the Majesty symbol, I think it's a coincidence that all of the letters in "Dominici" can be made from it.  It's seriously not possibly to get all of the letters of "Majesty" without some serious straining.  If someone wants to start the Phi Lambda Mu fraternity, it would make a great logo.

Just a point of clarification:  Charlie did not create it.  He adapted the royal monogram of Mary, Queen of Scots:  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Monogram_of_Mary,_Queen_of_Scots,_as_Queen_of_France.svg  But, yes, your point about it being mere coincidence of all of the letters of his name can be derived from the shapes in the logo is correct. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 11:26:24 AM »
He's bringing prog back.

That's sexy.  :p

Just a point of clarification:  Charlie did not create it.  He adapted the royal monogram of Mary, Queen of Scots:  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Monogram_of_Mary,_Queen_of_Scots,_as_Queen_of_France.svg  But, yes, your point about it being mere coincidence of all of the letters of his name can be derived from the shapes in the logo is correct. 

Ah yes, that's rings bells.  Maybe what I'm (mis)remembering is that they chose it as the Majesty logo because of the prominent "M", and someone else said that thing about the letters (which never really worked for me anyway).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 11:40:29 AM »

If you look at the FAQ examples that Kim (AKA Noxon) put together, I wouldn't even say Chuckie adapted it. More like he appropriated it!  :P
https://dreamtheater.club/questions/question/what-is-the-symbol-dt-use/
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
He's bringing prog back.

That's sexy.  :p

It would be about the funniest thing ever to see the crowd reacting if JT actually did cover some DT material.   :corn

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »

Here are closer example of said emblem:

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »

It would be about the funniest thing ever to see the crowd reacting if JT actually did cover some DT material.   :corn

As a matter of fact, it would be quite.........astonishing.....
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 06:44:02 PM »

It would probably be Misunderstood by the audience.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »

It would be Blind Faith to even imagine they would have a clue as to who DT is in the first place.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 09:53:08 PM »
It would be Blind Faith to even imagine they would have a clue as to who DT is in the first place.
If only they would Take The Time.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 11:14:45 PM »
Oh, I thought maybe he was just playing a lot of Watch Dogs lately.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 11:29:41 PM »
Otherwise it could be a dramatic nightmare to remember.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 12:48:07 AM »
His fans need to look at The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason, because after all they are only Along for the Ride.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 07:24:57 AM »
It would be Blind Faith to even imagine some of them would have a clue as to who DT is in the first place.

Fixed. Don't tar everyone with the same brush. It's possible and allowable to be fans of both.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 07:43:48 AM »
Even for the sake of a pun?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 07:46:00 AM »
It would be Blind Faith to even imagine some of them would have a clue as to who DT is in the first place.

Fixed. Don't tar everyone with the same brush. It's possible and allowable to be fans of both.

My new favorite thing is befriending hardcore heavy metal listeners and quietly listening to them bash pop music before I tell them I have lots of pop music in my collection. Then they say, "Oh well not all pop is bad it's just not my thing" okay  :lol :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
Even for the sake of a pun?
Apparently so....    :facepalm:

Note to RoeDent: my post was a JOKE, not meant to be serious.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:58 PM »

My new favorite thing is befriending hardcore heavy metal listeners and quietly listening to them bash pop music before I tell them I have lots of pop music in my collection. Then they say, "Oh well not all pop is bad it's just not my thing" okay  :lol :lol

Maybe they realized they were In the Presence of Enemies.

His fans need to look at The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason, because after all they are only Along for the Ride.

Not going to Lie, they just need to take a long hard look in The Mirror(s).

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 07:03:20 PM »

Not going to Lie, they just need to take a long hard look in The Mirror(s).
They may find that The Answer Lies Within.
aka Puppies_On_Acid