Poll

Which are your favorites and why (from the films only)?

Killmonger
9 (10.8%)
Klau
1 (1.2%)
Winter Soldier
13 (15.7%)
Thanos
2 (2.4%)
Helmut Zemo
4 (4.8%)
Hela
3 (3.6%)
Loki
18 (21.7%)
Ultron
7 (8.4%)
Red Skull
1 (1.2%)
Ego
2 (2.4%)
Ronan the Accuser
0 (0%)
Crossbones
0 (0%)
Abomination
0 (0%)
Vulture
14 (16.9%)
Dormammu
2 (2.4%)
Malekith
1 (1.2%)
Kaecilius
0 (0%)
The Mandarin
4 (4.8%)
Whiplash
0 (0%)
Yellowjacket
0 (0%)
Obadiah Stane
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Favorite/best MCU villains  (Read 1558 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Favorite/best MCU villains
« on: February 22, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »
Just thought this might be fun to do.  You can choose up to 5.  Please use as many votes as you are comfortable using.  I really want to see who gets votes other than a few easy choices. 

The list above isn't complete.  I limited it to the films, primarily because the list would be too long otherwise, and also because Ward and Kingpin would probably run away with this.  For the films themselves, I tried to stick to one or two per film that really drove the action or were a central part of it, not villains that just played a bit roll.  I left out those whose "villain" status is somewhat questionable in my mind.  For instance, Nebula started out as a villain, but is now a Guardian.  Same with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver not really staying villains.  On the flipside, where we have someone like Mordo who we're pretty sure turns to the dark side, we don't really see him do anything villainish in the films, so he is left off.  Bucky was an interesting one, because he legitimately flips.  But he was squarely a villain during Cap2, even if you want to argue that it wasn't really him doing those things.

Then you have villains like The Grandmaster who are absolutely antagonists, but don't really feel villainy.  They just have their own agenda.  Kinda similar with Aesha.  Yeah, she has it out for the Guardians.  But she doesn't really appear to be evil, and isn't really bent on taking over or destroying.

Anyhow, have at it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Favorite/best MCU villains
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »
Went with...in no order....

Vulture
Zemo
Loki
Killmonger
Winter Soldier
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 03:33:47 PM »
I went with (in order of how I listed them in the poll):

-Winter Soldier:  The silent aura of menace that surrounded the character was done very well.  And the character was very believable.  He was an assassin that was not to be trifled with.  But at the end of the day, he was a puppet who still had good in him if it could be unlocked.

-Loki:  He has a bit of an unfair advantage in that he has gotten the most screen time of any of them.  I feel like the last couple of films have taken the sinister edge off of him a bit, and his villainous nature has gotten a bit lost.  But his motives are complex, and he is a well fleshed out character.

-Ultron:  The film itself had flaws, but IMO, those were not due to the character of Ultron.  I think the character was done brilliantly.  I loved how they could make a machine sentient, but also out of touch with reality and how to relate to humans. 

-Vulture:  Michael Keaton just nailed it.  He was an everyday guy who had a ruthless side and could be pushed to literally do almost anything to defend what was important to him.  He also had a complicated sense of virtue and morality that, while off-base, was believable. 

-The Mandarin:  I intentionally left it vague as to whether this applies to Trevor or Killian or both.  Whatever people prefer.  For reasons I mentioned in the other thread, I like both.  But I LOVE Kingsley's portrayal before the Trevor reveal.  He portrayed a very disconcerting amalgam of zealot terrorist, military strategist, and master of human psychology.  Perhaps my favorite MCU villain of them all.

Honorable mention to Hela.  She only missed by top 5 because she went from really scary to kind of silly as Ragnarok wore on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »
I actually liked Ultron too. He would probably be my 6 on that list.

And I agree about Loki. As much as I did actually love Ragnorock, it did reduce Loki to the butt of a joke, sadly.

And Bosk, did you see Black Panther yet or did you just not care for Killmonger as a villain?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »
No, I haven't seen it yet.  Probably this Saturday.  So, yeah, I maybe should have held off my vote.  But I really like the ones I picked, so even if I later decide he should be in my top 5, I'm not gonna feel too bad about it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »
No, I haven't seen it yet.  Probably this Saturday.  So, yeah, I maybe should have held off my vote.  But I really like the ones I picked, so even if I later decide he should be in my top 5, I'm not gonna feel too bad about it.

Oh that's cool. If you had seen it and just did not like him at all or something, we may have had to talk a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 05:41:35 PM »
I just put Loki and Vulture, for me they are a smidgen above the rest of the clan, though that will probably change when Infinity War comes out.

Personally, I think Kingpin and Killgrave are the standard that they should meet with villains, those guys were pretty much perfection.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 11:03:25 PM »
My favorite of them (I still have to see Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther) has to be Helmut Zemo. Of all those villains, he's the only one who actually won and accomplished his goal, unlike a lot of villains which by the way are a million times more powerful than him. Also, Daniel Brühl is an amazing actor.

Offline Adami

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 11:06:01 PM »
Yea, I think Zemo was very underrated. Dude was quite unique.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »
I disagree entirely about Ultron, Bosk. HE was a huge reason why that film was NOT GOOD. He cracked a few jokes and acted menacing, but there was no reason, no motivation for him. What, 10 seconds of seeing how earth is violent? That is such bullshit writing.

Sorry. That film upsets me to no end, and it's not even the worst MCU film (It's up there though.)

Anyway, most of the MCU villains aren't very good. Killmonger, Loki, Vulture, Winter Soldier, and Zemo are my 5 in that order.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »
Of all those villains, he's the only one who actually won and accomplished his goal...

I would put Loki in that category as well.  It's just that his "win" was more subtle, took a lot more conniving and backstabbing to get there, and took several films to play out.  And he made his win in Avengers look like a failure, so nobody caught on until Thor finally figured out what was up in Ragnarok.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »
Not to much else to say other than what Bosk already said about my two favorites: Loki and the Winter Soldier. I think the best overall, again as has been said, is Loki simply due to the fact that they've had so much more time to develop the character. But Hiddelston is also just a behemoth of an actor and is pretty much bae number one.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »
Thanos has all the cool factors in his favor in my opinion. He's the only villain I've been at "oh $&*%" levels of hype for, and it's almost time to see him lay Iron Man out flat in a single punch  :metal I really don't find Loki or Winter Soldier interesting, but then again, I don't think much of Marvel villains in general.

I would say Doc Oc would be my favorite, if he ever shows up in the MCU and they take the Superior Spider-man approach, but they won't, at least for a very long time, so... still Thanos.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »
Even though he wasn't listed, I've always loved Magneto. I picked Thanos

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »
Magneto > any MCU villain

I'm actually quite curious to see how the prominent movie super villains from all DC and Marvel movies hold up in a game of Survivor...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »
In no particular order

Loki - duh
Hela and Ultron - mainly due to the fantastic performances by Blanchett and Spader
Winter Soldier - because he is/was a badass mofo (and I just watched Winter Soldier last week)
Vulture - his motivations were so legit and believable.

Personally, I think Kingpin and Killgrave are the standard that they should meet with villains, those guys were pretty much perfection.

Word.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 01:38:42 AM »
Voted Killmonger, Loki, and Vulture.

I would’ve also voted for Kilgrave if he was on the list.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 09:34:42 PM »
Went with...in no order....

Vulture
Zemo
Loki
Killmonger
Winter Soldier
Yeah, this.

Klaue and Hela were also a lot of fun. I could happily watch Cate Blanchett and Andy Serkis chew the scenery for another couple of films, easily.