Don't Look Back
0 (0%)
Fallout
0 (0%)
Open Road
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: January 05, 2018, 10:19:19 PM

Author Topic: QUEENSRYCHE SURVIVOR 2017 - Queensryche - round 1  (Read 608 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
QUEENSRYCHE SURVIVOR 2017 - Queensryche - round 1
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:19:19 PM »
14. QUEENSRYCHE

Queensr˙che is the fourteenth studio album by Queensr˙che, and the first to feature new singer Todd La Torre. It was released during a time when there were two different versions of the band, the other led by former singer Geoff Tate, who would give up his rights to the name in an amicable settlement in 2014

LINE-UP:
- Todd La Toree - vocals
- Micheal Wilton - guitar
- Parker Lundgren - guitar
- Scott Rockenfield - drums
- Eddie Jackson - bass

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. :huh:

At last we have reached to end of this hard Queensryche survivor part ;) Now, let's get into Todd era. We have here a very soild album with some great songs on it. We have also some songs or intros that obviously should go first and that's why my vote goes to X2.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: QUEENSRYCHE SURVIVOR 2017 - Queensryche - round 1
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 04:02:07 AM »
X2
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 04:16:51 AM »
It's decent I guess. Todd's vocals remind me just enough of Tate to be noticeable but  not enough to accurately replicate his style, & I think that comes a bit jarringly on first listen. The production is top notch, but I think the songwriting sounds a tad rushed & isn't that memorable. The bonus tracks sound amazing; a lot better than the originals actually. They totally captured the energy from the actual live shows & I kinda wish the album tracks sounded as good as them (so basically what FU's bonus tracks should've been). Overall a lot better than the previous 3 albums, but not anywhere close to QR's best. I'd rank it between Q2K & Tribe.

Oh yeah & it's too short, but you knew that already.

#1.
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.
#9.
11. Midnight Lullaby

(well I should've voted Midnight Lullaby but I voted for X2 without thinking  :-\)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 04:25:39 AM »
but  not enough to accurately replicate his style

Edit: ignore this part, listening again & I can barely tell the difference

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »
Midnight Lullaby, because X2 actually has a purpose.

There are some great songs on this album. I wish it had a better production and one great epic song, then we'd be set.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:22:51 AM »
Majorly satisfying listen. This album was a breath of fresh air and finally broke out of the Tateryche mold and stagnation of several years. I am as big of a fan of Tate as they come but it was long overdue IMO. Despite the flaws (hot mastering, short duration, and probably a few somewhat rushed and unpolished songs) all of which except for the mastering were no doubt a direct consequence of trying to get product out there to establish themselves for the band name rights battle and to garner fan support and confidence that they could make it without Tate. Mission accomplished. This album features four, maybe even five standout tracks and considering it's short run time that is pretty fucking impressive if you ask me  :metal

Mladen: I would say the epic track is Open Road, but Where Dreams Go To Die and A World Without aren't far behind.

I'll go with Midnight Lullaby first as I agree with Mladen that X2 serves a purpose as a lead (as does Midnight Lullaby) but it's better suited as a kickoff to the record.     

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
Midnight Lullaby, because X2 actually has a purpose.

This.  But honestly, neither of them are actually "songs," so can we just eliminate both and jump right to the actual songs on the album? 

As far as the album itself, I pretty much agree with njfirefighter's sentiments.  Yeah, it's too short and feels a bit rushed and incomplete in parts.  But that aside, it's a great album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 03:21:20 PM »
Mladen: I would say the epic track is Open Road, but Where Dreams Go To Die and A World Without aren't far behind.
I think they're all kind of lacking in comparison to for example Promised land, Roads to madness and even The Right side of my mind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »
I always thought "In This Light" had potential to be a decent radio hit for the band.  Not sure why they didn't officially release it.   I felt the same for "Toxic Remedy" and "Bulletproof" off the next album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 04:55:51 PM »
I always thought "In This Light" had potential to be a decent radio hit for the band.  Not sure why they didn't officially release it.   I felt the same for "Toxic Remedy" and "Bulletproof" off the next album.

Agree with all this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online T-ski

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:02 PM »
It's nice to be able to participate in this again.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »
So, since I don't know where else to put this, has it been confirmed why this album was so short? I read through the Wikipedia & apparently it was due to time constraints, but it also says that it was recorded from December 2012 to April 2013 (i.e. 5 months), so I don't really see why that would be an issue. Plus, apparently CH was recorded in only 3 months (February, March & May 2015), so why is that the length of a normal album, but this is only 33 minutes?

I know it's not that big of a deal, but idk, it always seems to make the album feel less satisfying for me. When it ends, I'm always like "okay, now it's time for the final song... oh wait, that was the final song...  :\".

Have there been any b-sides or anything from these sessions? Surely they must've made something else for this album, right?  :-\