Author Topic: Happy New Year From JP and MP  (Read 19866 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Happy New Year From JP and MP
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »
I don't really want James to be replaced in DT, but I'm open to the possibility if he just can't do the material justice anymore. I'd hate to see DT calling it quits only because their vocalist can't keep up.

I would totally agree 15 years ago. But these guys don't have much left in terms of output or touring just by virtue of their age. There is nothing to be gained by replacing a member who can't carry their load at this point.

I disagree totally, there would be an awful lot TO gain by doing this. All of the musicians are still at the very top of their game and can go on for another 10 years at least but JLB must be getting very close to having to call it quits before his (and to a large extent too, the bands) reputation and legacy is ruined. Concert after concert these days is followed by lots of online comments that James is really struggling and sounding bad (in places). There is never even ONE comment similar about any of the other members so to me, if it came to a choice between the band quiting before their time or replacing James, then they answer is easy for me, tell James "thanks for a brilliant 25 odd years" and then find a new singer.

I just don't think we are going to see DT playing as much of the songs that JLB struggles with anymore.  I very much believe that many of the songs from I&W may have been put to rest on that last tour. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
All of the musicians are still at the very top of their game and can go on for another 10 years at least but JLB must be getting very close to having to call it quits before his (and to a large extent too, the bands) reputation and legacy is ruined. ...if it came to a choice between the band quiting before their time or replacing James, then they answer is easy for me, tell James "thanks for a brilliant 25 odd years" and then find a new singer.

Kinda being facetious here, but then why don't bands just get a new 20 year old singer every 5 years or so?

If the band cannot continue because of James' physical limitations, than is is their time to hang it up. The band isn't 4 musicians and a signer, it is 5 guys working together 100%.

We are getting way off topic here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2018, 03:57:21 PM »
There's a pretty recent interview with James that erwinrafael posted where he said they're all pretty much on the same page that they want to continue for at least another ten years. If they do, I think they'll be just fine. They're not going to hurt their reputation. People have been talking  about James for as long as I've been a fan. And yet people still walk away from the shows talking about what a great job he did.  If they need to tune down some songs or rearrange some vocal melodies, I don't think that'll really be an issue. People were also talking about Geddy's voice for a long time but I don't think Rush suffered for it.  James is doing a great job and will continue to do so

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2018, 04:00:03 PM »
There's a pretty recent interview with James that erwinrafael posted where he said they're all pretty much on the same page that they want to continue for at least another ten years. If they do, I think they'll be just fine. They're not going to hurt their reputation. People have been talking  about James for as long as I've been a fan. And yet people still walk away from the shows talking about what a great job he did.  If they need to tune down some songs or rearrange some vocal melodies, I don't think that'll really be an issue. People were also talking about Geddy's voice for a long time but I don't think Rush suffered for it.  James is doing a great job and will continue to do so

JLB mentioned doing a wheel chair tour at the last show they did when talking about how they keep planning on going strong. You are right, the haters have hated on JLB since the beginning of it all.  While I do agree that his vocals have gotten worse over time, they are what they are and his voice is important to the band regardless of whether or not he can nail every note every night.  They can still make the live performances work and they will do so.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »

JLB mentioned doing a wheel chair tour at the last show they did when talking about how they keep planning on going strong. You are right, the haters have hated on JLB since the beginning of it all.  While I do agree that his vocals have gotten worse over time, they are what they are and his voice is important to the band regardless of whether or not he can nail every note every night.  They can still make the live performances work and they will do so.

Yeah, I think they're a tight unit now, and only a few years away from being the lineup that lasted the longest. I did not like The Astonishing and have been quite vocal about it, but you have to admire them for sticking to their guns.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2018, 08:04:56 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-john-petrucci-and-i-have-gotten-together-many-times-in-last-year-or-two/

"It's funny. John and I have actually reconnected over the last year or two and actually gotten together many times and had dinner together with our families. Look, the reality is he and I have been friends since the first week in college back in September of 1985, so it's a relationship that goes back 33 years. And our families are all friends, our wives and our kids are all friends, we all grew up together, and that's never gonna go away."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-john-petrucci-and-i-have-gotten-together-many-times-in-last-year-or-two/

"It's funny. John and I have actually reconnected over the last year or two and actually gotten together many times and had dinner together with our families. Look, the reality is he and I have been friends since the first week in college back in September of 1985, so it's a relationship that goes back 33 years. And our families are all friends, our wives and our kids are all friends, we all grew up together, and that's never gonna go away."

That's interesting because I thought maybe the pic at New Year's was maybe a time of mending the fences and that was why the nonsense tweets from SOA had cooled off.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2018, 08:31:22 AM »

That's great to hear, long time friends are still friends.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »
Very good to know! I like how they personally reconciled without the need to make it a PR thing... now, if only the same thing could happen with the other John and James...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2018, 04:29:23 AM »
Very good to know! I like how they personally reconciled without the need to make it a PR thing... now, if only the same thing could happen with the other John and James...

It's an honest question : I wonder to what extent John Myung and JLB- and all the more so for JLB- were considered friends by MP and not just work relations. So, that may be different.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2018, 04:44:02 AM »
Myung was there as well since day one, James came in when the group was already solified. So I'd wager that, even when things were okay, Myung was always more the "friend from school" than James.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2018, 09:51:21 AM »
Mike and James were actually really close from the time James joined until at least FII. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »
Mike and James were actually really close from the time James joined until at least FII.

Was it then or was 6DoIT the turning point in their relationship when MP threatened to fire JLB if he didn't take care of himself?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »
I believe it was after the 6D’s tour. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »

Was it then or was 6DoIT the turning point in their relationship when MP threatened to fire JLB if he didn't take care of himself?

B.Lee

I'm assuming but the only info we have about how close they were was a few quotes in the Lifting Shadows book and here and there in interviews.

I think it may have even been Scenes where things started to get bad.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »

B.Lee

I'm assuming but the only info we have about how close they were was a few quotes in the Lifting Shadows book and here and there in interviews.

I think it may have even been Scenes where things started to get bad.

OK, thanks for the heads-up.

B.Lee

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2018, 06:54:09 AM »
Does anyone know if MM's signing on with the band had a term length? Not sure if that was ever disclosed

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »
Does anyone know if MM's signing on with the band had a term length? Not sure if that was ever disclosed

Don't know for sure, but I don't think so.

B.Lee

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »
Pretty sure in the past all band members signed on as full partners.  I mean, they could have rearranged it so that they have voting shared and MM may only be a 10% partner but they've never said anything of the sort.  In the past, each member got one full vote. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »
Myself, personally, and the way that the band feels is we’re moving forward. Mike Mangini is our drummer and he will remain our drummer until the day that we’re finished doing this. It’s just the way that it is.

Words by JLB.

Taken from: https://www.prog-sphere.com/news/james-labrie-mike-mangini-is-our-drummer-and-he-will-be/
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »
Myself, personally, and the way that the band feels is we’re moving forward. Mike Mangini is our drummer and he will remain our drummer until the day that we’re finished doing this. It’s just the way that it is.

Words by JLB.

Taken from: https://www.prog-sphere.com/news/james-labrie-mike-mangini-is-our-drummer-and-he-will-be/

That was a quote from 4 years ago. Not saying that they don't feel differently now. They could feel the same. Over time, things can change. I don't see any reason they feel differently. People are allowed to change their minds.

I'm not advocating for a MP return. Just think about this scenario for a moment. What if MM decides to leave? Will the band audition other drummers instead of having MP return? I see an audition process for a new drummer being the direction they would go if MM was out. I'm not advocating for MM to be out of the band either. Just a hypothetical.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »
I think it's important to point out that what you're saying is an assumption. There's nothing in Lifting Shadows that said MP threatened to fire JL - rather it says that *they* as in the band or at least MP and JP (being the leaders of the band) sat down with JL to talk about the issue. Had JP not been fully on board with talking to JL and even giving some thought to changing vocalists if there were some changes, you can be sure it wouldn't have happened.

Words by JLB.

That was a quote from 4 years ago. Not saying that they don't feel differently now. They could feel the same. Over time, things can change. I don't see any reason they feel differently. People are allowed to change their minds.
That interview is from 4 years ago, but I highly doubt things are any different within the band at this point and time. Just because MP and JP have rekindled their friendship, there's no real evidence that the feelings of anyone in the band (even JP) are any different than they were when this interview was done. Of course, I'd be the first to say essentially that MM will be their drummer for the rest of the band's existence is a bit much - before Sept. 2010, no one ever expected MP to leave, and yet here we are. But I'm not holding my breath for MP to return, nor do I expect it. I don't imagine MM ever being ousted from the band - if at some point he's no longer in the band, it will be due to his leaving, and I don't foresee that happening unless he tires of road life again and wants to go back to teaching at Berklee.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2018, 05:28:41 PM »
That interview is from 4 years ago, but I highly doubt things are any different within the band at this point and time. Just because MP and JP have rekindled their friendship, there's no real evidence that the feelings of anyone in the band (even JP) are any different than they were when this interview was done. Of course, I'd be the first to say essentially that MM will be their drummer for the rest of the band's existence is a bit much - before Sept. 2010, no one ever expected MP to leave, and yet here we are. But I'm not holding my breath for MP to return, nor do I expect it. I don't imagine MM ever being ousted from the band - if at some point he's no longer in the band, it will be due to his leaving, and I don't foresee that happening unless he tires of road life again and wants to go back to teaching at Berklee.

I agree with all of this. I only quoted that interview because YtseJam asked if MM's contract with the band had some sort of term length, which isn't the case. There's many other interviews where they say Mangini is 100% part of DT, not just a hired gun for a period of time.

In the current state of the band, the only way I see another lineup change happening is if one them decides to leave, like MP. They seem pretty happy with where they're at and don't think they (specially JP) would just fire one of the members. Even James, who is the one struggling the most to keep up with the catalog and constant touring, gets a lot of love from JP on interviews/social media posts, etc.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2018, 06:27:08 PM »
I think it's important to point out that what you're saying is an assumption. There's nothing in Lifting Shadows that said MP threatened to fire JL - rather it says that *they* as in the band or at least MP and JP (being the leaders of the band) sat down with JL to talk about the issue. Had JP not been fully on board with talking to JL and even giving some thought to changing vocalists if there were some changes, you can be sure it wouldn't have happened.

It's also worth noting that in the Lifting Shadows book, Mike was the most vocal about looking into changing vocalists.  JP only said something along the lines of, "We wanted to sit down with him and ask, 'Are you still into this?'"  Jordan said he was still new so didn't have an opinion.  JM was not quoted at all regarding this and their manager expressed hesitance.  It's pretty safe to assume based on all the quotes that do appear in the book (and other interviews)  that it was Mike driving this discussion.  I think it is also safe to assume that JP going along with Mike's ultimatum may have been more along the lines of telling James, "We're worried this is going to become a big problem" rather than "This is a big problem now and we're on the verge of letting you go."

There has never been any indication that John was that unhappy with James.  Mike, on the other hand, has been very open on multiple platforms that he was not happy at all with James. 

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-mangini-explains-his-limited-role-in-dream-theater-songwriting-process/

Here's an interview from last year. Although MM didn't address any contractual technicalities, the way he described his role in the band and how it's been evolving along the years gives me the impression that what James said 4 years ago (and so did JP in this Artisan News interview from 2011: https://youtu.be/uLiV2VHMu8c?t=15m16s) is still valid. And, to be honest, I've never seen any solid evidence of his band member status being temporary of anything like that.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:13:31 PM by TH1RT3EN »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »
Madman, correct, and let's remember that Portnoy's condition to stay in the band in the late 90's was that he basically be given full control over the band, so while Petrucci was a co-leader when it came to the creative side, he was not when it came to everything else*.  Factor in the many shots that Portnoy took at La Brie over the years, combined with Petrucci never saying a bad word publicly about him, and you don't have to read between the lines to know who was behind the "James need to get better or we'll fire his ass" mantra.

*Which I believe to be the case, going from memory, and I am sure if anything is slightly inaccurate, DTF's resident fact checker will let us all know. :lol :lol :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2018, 06:59:03 PM »
  But I'm not holding my breath for MP to return, nor do I expect it. I don't imagine MM ever being ousted from the band - if at some point he's no longer in the band, it will be due to his leaving, and I don't foresee that happening unless he tires of road life again and wants to go back to teaching at Berklee.

Well, it only lends credence to the fact that if MM ever did leave, with MP on good terms with JP, he'd undoubtably be back.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »
  But I'm not holding my breath for MP to return, nor do I expect it. I don't imagine MM ever being ousted from the band - if at some point he's no longer in the band, it will be due to his leaving, and I don't foresee that happening unless he tires of road life again and wants to go back to teaching at Berklee.

Well, it only lends credence to the fact that if MM ever did leave, with MP on good terms with JP, he'd undoubtably be back.

Undoubtedly?  I'm not so sure about that. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2018, 07:27:36 PM »
Agreed. Just because you are good friends with someone doesn't mean you want to work with them again.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
It's also worth noting that in the Lifting Shadows book, Mike was the most vocal about looking into changing vocalists.  JP only said something along the lines of, "We wanted to sit down with him and ask, 'Are you still into this?'"  Jordan said he was still new so didn't have an opinion.  JM was not quoted at all regarding this and their manager expressed hesitance.  It's pretty safe to assume based on all the quotes that do appear in the book (and other interviews)  that it was Mike driving this discussion.  I think it is also safe to assume that JP going along with Mike's ultimatum may have been more along the lines of telling James, "We're worried this is going to become a big problem" rather than "This is a big problem now and we're on the verge of letting you go."

There has never been any indication that John was that unhappy with James.  Mike, on the other hand, has been very open on multiple platforms that he was not happy at all with James.
Keep in mind that MP, more than any other member of the band, lets it all hang out, good, bad and ugly. JP, OTOH likes to avoid addressing any controversies from within the band, and so therefore is far more diplomatic on how he speaks about everything - you will never get a memoir from him where he digs up any dirt. So the fact that MP - from the public's perception - was more vocally critical of JL than JP was doesn't mean that he (JP) wasn't at the same level as MP was.

Madman, correct, and let's remember that Portnoy's condition to stay in the band in the late 90's was that he basically be given full control over the band, so while Petrucci was a co-leader when it came to the creative side, he was not when it came to everything else*. <snip>
*Which I believe to be the case, going from memory, and I am sure if anything is slightly inaccurate, DTF's resident fact checker will let us all know. :lol :lol :biggrin:
Actually, that's incorrect. The agreement that they forget the fake democracy was instead to simply acknowledge that JP and MP would be the equal leaders of the band. Whether it was determined at that time what roles each would take, I don't know. But as things worked out, MP ended up taking the lead to a greater degree in the creativity of the band, and JP was more focused on the business side of the band. Coincidentally, that's exactly how things are in SoA, with MP taking the lead creatively, and DS replacing JP in the business aspect.

Factor in the many shots that Portnoy took at La Brie over the years, combined with Petrucci never saying a bad word publicly about him, and you don't have to read between the lines to know who was behind the "James need to get better or we'll fire his ass" mantra.
Keep in mind that JP is also far more concerned about the perfect performance than MP ever has been (hence the static setlist, the dreaded click track that the band has used live post-MP, etc.), so don't be so quick to dismiss JP's role in talking to JL about his performance after World Tourbulence concluded.

Undoubtedly?  I'm not so sure about that.
Agreed. Just because you are good friends with someone doesn't mean you want to work with them again.
For once, I fully agree with Madman Shepherd and KevShmev. (Has hell frozen over?!?!  :omg:)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »

Keep in mind that MP, more than any other member of the band, lets it all hang out, good, bad and ugly. JP, OTOH likes to avoid addressing any controversies from within the band, and so therefore is far more diplomatic on how he speaks about everything - you will never get a memoir from him where he digs up any dirt. So the fact that MP - from the public's perception - was more vocally critical of JL than JP was doesn't mean that he (JP) wasn't at the same level as MP was.

It's true that we'll probably never know for sure the extent to which JP was unhappy with James but for all the reasons Kev stated, i.e. Mike's continued criticism even when he was still in the band and James continuing to be a member years later, I would put money on Mike having the main problem and John maybe showing concern but never truly wanting to kick James out. 

Sometimes when there is smoke, it's only smoke.  More often than not, there's fire. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2018, 12:25:28 AM »

Oh, yes, I know it's just an assumption. It wasn't any shot at MP, I tought it was just as things went on but my memory must have failed me.

B.Lee

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2018, 04:55:22 AM »
Mangini is doing great.

And MP seems to love what he is doing.

I doubt JP and JM would let something this good keave... And why so?

MP decided to leave...end of story.
DT got a new Drummer that they love and couldn't be happier with. Once he leaves I feel its, done.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2018, 06:36:14 AM »
Mangini is doing great.

And MP seems to love what he is doing.

I doubt JP and JM would let something this good keave... And why so?

MP decided to leave...end of story.
DT got a new Drummer that they love and couldn't be happier with. Once he leaves I feel its, done.

I actually tend to think the same.