Author Topic: Happy New Year From JP and MP  (Read 19877 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Happy New Year From JP and MP
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2018, 01:28:36 PM »
If posting a picture of two friends and former band mates on social media only feeds the speculation and the trolls, we have bigger problems.

We have bigger problems.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
 "If we would have met Mike [Mangini] twenty years ago, we would have been playing with this guy." (JP)

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-and-john-petrucci-reunited/

MP has no chance to return.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2018, 02:32:38 PM »
"If we would have met Mike [Mangini] twenty years ago, we would have been playing with this guy." (JP)

JP said that in an older interview on The Classic Metal Show. Not saying his mindset is different now, but I don't like when sites grab older quotes and punch them into current stories.

I wouldn't say that MP has no chance to return, but I will say that the chance is extremely small.

Know what would be cool? Sons of Apollo opening for Dream Theater. Then have MP and Derek do a FII track like "Lines in the Sand" or "Just Let Me Breathe" with DT during DT's encore.

Wishful thinking, I know.  :-\

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »

Know what would be cool? Sons of Apollo opening for Dream Theater. Then have MP and Derek do a FII track like "Lines in the Sand" or "Just Let Me Breathe" with DT during DT's encore.

That would be anything but cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »

Why?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
If posting a picture of two friends and former band mates on social media only feeds the speculation and the trolls, we have bigger problems.

We have bigger problems.

:lol

Pretty much this.  I mean, it's sad it has to be this way for the same reason celebrities have to be careful about how they appear in public because a tabloid could grab an unflattering pic and then the next headline is "Madonna is dying of cancer."  Obviously DT isn't at Madonna levels but they are big enough where they have to worry about trivial things. 

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »
I'm hoping that sometime down the track all members of DT, past and present, are able to put their differences aside, and that a joint tour with SOA and DT comes to fruition.

This should have been SoA's goal from the beginning (joint tour), but with Derek's bullshit, I don't see it happening.

This. It's not like the guys in DT have anything against MP or the SOA guys, but Derek taking shots at them anytime he has the chance to.

There is at least one (possibly two) members of DT who are not all that fond of Mike, it appears.

Regardless of Derek’s tweets I don’t think a DT/SoA tour ever would have happened.  Derek’s tweets just reinforced that.

Or put another way, there is at least one member of DT who MP continues to take shots at. One who has no reason to like MP but usually takes the high road even though MP takes the low road.

I agree though that the chances of a jount tour SoA/DT were always slim...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2018, 05:13:33 PM »
Well let's look at an SoA/DT tour from their perspective for a minute, and not just a fan's wish fulfillment perspective.

What incentive does DT have to tour with them? Other than doing their friend a pity favor. SoA doesn't bring in a new audience. It limits DT's time on stage as well. DT would be carrying the entire tour.

And SoA? They have a lot of incentive, as a band. But do you REALLY think MP wants to open for his former band? I'll go ahead and say no.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evai

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »

I can imagine it! DT play Nightmare To Remember as their last song, and suprise, MP comes out for the growl section and the crowd goes nuts. No hurt feelings for MM, since MP didn't even need to drum  :D
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »
Well let's look at an SoA/DT tour from their perspective for a minute, and not just a fan's wish fulfillment perspective.

What incentive does DT have to tour with them? Other than doing their friend a pity favor. SoA doesn't bring in a new audience. It limits DT's time on stage as well. DT would be carrying the entire tour.

And SoA? They have a lot of incentive, as a band. But do you REALLY think MP wants to open for his former band? I'll go ahead and say no.

This. I agree on all counts.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »
Maybe if MP had stuck with a band and built it up over the last 7 years but yeah. Not happening with things as they are

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »

So...awesome?
Interesting?
exciting?
rockin'?

Anything but cool, right?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2018, 11:58:18 AM »
Two of the last things I would want to see at my next DT show are Lines in the Sand and Just Let Me Breathe as the encores, with or without MP and/or DS. 2017 was the year for DT to do the nostalgia thing. 2018/2019 should be years to look forward.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bill1971

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »

JP said that in an older interview on The Classic Metal Show. Not saying his mindset is different now, but I don't like when sites grab older quotes and punch them into current stories.

I wouldn't say that MP has no chance to return, but I will say that the chance is extremely small.

Wishful thinking, I know.  :-\

I don't think JP meant instead of MP. He just meant that he gets along with him musically and personally.

If DS and MP hadn't made it a competition I think SOA would be fun opening for DT but not now. Actually I prefer NO opening band.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2018, 05:13:26 PM »
MM is DT’s drummer so of course JP would say something like that, as he should. I don’t take it as a dig at Mike at all as I just don’t see JP being that way.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »
When I said that it was wishful thinking I was implying that it won't happen.

Both camps are moving forward.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2018, 06:52:34 PM »
I am glad they are staying friends.  How many other bands' members can say they do this?  Has to be mid to low range I would expect.  JP and MP have too long of a history to just toss out the window, so kudos to them for sticking together, regardless of what their band/business agreements worked out to be.  I hope both of their bands are successful for a very long time.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:34 PM »
Cool picture. Thanks for posting this. Nice to know that the dudes are on good terms enough to take a picture together.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2018, 08:09:50 PM »
I'm hoping that sometime down the track all members of DT, past and present, are able to put their differences aside, and that a joint tour with SOA and DT comes to fruition.

This should have been SoA's goal from the beginning (joint tour), but with Derek's bullshit, I don't see it happening.

This. It's not like the guys in DT have anything against MP or the SOA guys, but Derek taking shots at them anytime he has the chance to.

I must admit I thought his tweets were funny in the beginning, but then they became a bit too much. But hey, MP has tweeted far worse things when he left DT, and he and JP made amends. Who knows, maybe they laugh about this in private...JP has played in one of Derek´s albums, so it´s not impossible.

But, obviously, that's not the same.. MP and JP have been friends for an amount of time that cannot even begin to be compared with the musical (and friendly at some extent) relation between JP and DS.. On the other side, yeah, everything is possible I guess, and they can always make amends... well, Derek and the whole DT; because I don't see them making a decision without a DT plural consentiment at this state of disconnection (;D) in between the 5 guys.. Having said that, although it'd be indeed a very cool thing to witness or watch on our internet screens, I don't see it happening..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2018, 08:14:56 PM »
Just because you are still friends with someone or reconnect with them doesn't mean you want to work with them again. I tended bar for years with my younger brother many years ago, but he was pretty difficult at times and I would not want to work with him again.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2018, 09:14:08 PM »
Just because you are still friends with someone or reconnect with them doesn't mean you want to work with them again. I tended bar for years with my younger brother many years ago, but he was pretty difficult at times and I would not want to work with him again.

The more you know!  I'd love to hear more sometime.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2018, 02:48:59 AM »
Seeing this pic gave me the warm fuzzies ! After all , they are the Lennon and McCartney of Prog !

Friend of mine predicted MM will eventually burn out from all the touring and go back to teaching,
JLB will step down no longer being able to nail the high parts , MP will have completed the SOA tour
and possibly another album and then return to DT with JSS as the new voice !

Who knows what the future holds ? I personally still love DT , MP , and seeing that picture
so I'm good !
....but still think JP should lose the beard !
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2018, 03:07:44 AM »
Seeing this pic gave me the warm fuzzies ! After all , they are the Lennon and McCartney of Prog !

Friend of mine predicted MM will eventually burn out from all the touring and go back to teaching,
JLB will step down no longer being able to nail the high parts , MP will have completed the SOA tour

Who knows what the future holds ? I personally still love DT , MP , and seeing that picture
so I'm good !
....but still think JP should lose the beard !

You're a big MP fan, aren't you? But equating MP to either Lennon or Mc Cartney is a big stretch of the imagination, with all due respect. Nothing MP has done with DT can be compared to what the aforementioned Beatles did for their band.
And your friend is a big fiction fan, because in all you wrote, there's absolutely zero chance for JSS to become the new DT singer if ever there is one. JSS wouldn't be able to sing 75% of DT catalogue, and I liked the man a lot back in the days.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2018, 03:19:00 AM »

Oach.... the stuff nightmares are made of....

I don't like JSS singing on SoA and I would hate it in DT... love JLBs vocals and if he quits the band should either quit or find a younger singer with JLBs qualities...

I have loved the three albums with MM more than the last three with MP. I did not like MPs influnce in the later albums and I don't think it would be good for either MP or DT for him to come back.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2018, 02:38:48 PM »
My opinion on this has changed over the years, but at this point, I think if James is done, DT is done. Love or hate, his voice has become synonymous with DT. I used to think JP was the only member that was irreplaceable, but now I’d say James falls in that catagory.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2018, 02:49:56 PM »
My opinion on this has changed over the years, but at this point, I think if James is done, DT is done. Love or hate, his voice has become synonymous with DT. I used to think JP was the only member that was irreplaceable, but now I’d say James falls in that catagory.

I think the same and I wouldn't want to hear DT without JLB. I also wouldn't want to see MP back with DT.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »

Indeed. He's been on every album since the (for many forgettable) debut, at this point without him it would never sound like Dream Theater, it would sound like a cover band made of original members. We're already past the point on which a replacement singer could have carved a space for himself, this late in the game there are only two singers for DT: James LaBrie on one side, and Not-James-LaBrie on the other, and this include any singer ever.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »

Indeed. He's been on every album since the (for many forgettable) debut, at this point without him it would never sound like Dream Theater, it would sound like a cover band made of original members. We're already past the point on which a replacement singer could have carved a space for himself, this late in the game there are only two singers for DT: James LaBrie on one side, and Not-James-LaBrie on the other, and this include any singer ever.

Agree.  If they had replaced him in 2002 then they would have had over half of their careers to go and could maybe have made it work.  I'm glad they didn't...but at this point I really don't think they have a choice which is fine for me because JLB is *the* voice. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2018, 04:53:22 PM »
He could be replaced with someone with a very very similar voice, If it worked for Queensryche, why not for DT?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2018, 05:10:54 PM »
He could be replaced with someone with a very very similar voice, If it worked for Queensryche, why not for DT?

I don't know if I'd say it "worked."  Most people seem satisfied with the new guy but it hurt their brand.  They aren't near the popularity they were with Tate. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2018, 06:16:58 PM »

You're a big MP fan, aren't you? But equating MP to either Lennon or Mc Cartney is a big stretch of the imagination, with all due respect. Nothing MP has done with DT can be compared to what the aforementioned Beatles did for their band.

That is putting it nicely. Whoever started the "Petrucci and Portnoy are the Lennon and McCartney of prog" mantra (I have seen it on social media, so it's not new) probably doesn't have a strong grip on reality. :lol :P

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »

I don't know if I'd say it "worked."  Most people seem satisfied with the new guy but it hurt their brand.  They aren't near the popularity they were with Tate.

Yeah, but look how Tate is doing by himself... :lol

I don't really want James to be replaced in DT, but I'm open to the possibility if he just can't do the material justice anymore. I'd hate to see DT calling it quits only because their vocalist can't keep up.

The way I see it, anyone in DT is replaceable except JP, and maybe Jordan, from a songwriting perspective. However, I think, for better or worse, this is the final DT lineup.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
I don't really want James to be replaced in DT, but I'm open to the possibility if he just can't do the material justice anymore. I'd hate to see DT calling it quits only because their vocalist can't keep up.

I would totally agree 15 years ago. But these guys don't have much left in terms of output or touring just by virtue of their age. There is nothing to be gained by replacing a member who can't carry their load at this point.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2018, 07:16:03 PM »

Yeah, but look how Tate is doing by himself... :lol

Oh I agree.  He is the clear loser in this. 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2018, 07:36:42 PM »
I think the Lennon and McCarthy comparison was probably started by MP. I think MP is as good as the people he collaborates with, while Lennon or McCarthy elevated those around them and could create from scratch amazing and unique material.