Author Topic: Happy New Year From JP and MP  (Read 19882 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Happy New Year From JP and MP
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:30:54 PM »
Posted on MP’s Facebook. Nice to see them hanging out again, as much as this has probably happened many times before. It’s nice to see.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:41:37 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Happy New Year From JP and MP
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:38:55 PM »
Indeed!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:59:30 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!

That is great!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 11:03:24 PM »
New LTE please

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
Awesome.. :D
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:20:44 AM »
Where's the like button?

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 01:22:25 AM »
Mike also retweeted a picture of his and John's daughter mocking their fathers. :P Looks really funny.

Is it safe to say this is the first time the fans have seen them together in more than 7 years?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 02:05:21 AM »
“Yes, Mike, we’re still friends, but we’ll never play together again” :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 03:02:29 AM »
That’s cool indeed :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 03:38:51 AM »
Heartwarming :)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 04:04:02 AM »
Now if only he would sit down and talk it out with James and possibly Myung... I long for all of them being friends again more than Portnoy being back in DT!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 04:10:25 AM »
FB is full of comments of a new LTE album. Man, JP & MP must be SICK of this crap by now  :rollin

Still, it was very cool to see these two giants together again.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Evai

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 04:21:21 AM »
“Yes, Mike, we’re still friends, but we’ll never play together again” :biggrin:

"Hey John, what's that in the corner? Is that a guitar?"

"No"

"Yes it is! Wow what a coincidence, I brought my drum kit!"

"I am hereby removing you from all writing credits of Dream Theater songs"
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 06:37:03 AM »
Now if only he would sit down and talk it out with James and possibly Myung... I long for all of them being friends again more than Portnoy being back in DT!
Totally this, but I’m already really happy that MP reconnected the friendship with Jordan and especially with Petrucci, because he (and the families) was the closest to him, no doubt. If I’m not mistaken, in the lifting shadows biography, at the time that MP stopped to drink, on tours, Petrucci was the one that always went to the hotel rooms,  clearing it of alcoholic drinks in its frigobars, to help MP to overcome his addiction. To me that was something that showed how much friends they always were.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 06:46:22 AM »
Didn't know that detail! very cool! And yes, I'm already looking forward I guess but it's absolutely something to be happy about that these two musical geniuses who were together since the Berkley days are on friendly terms.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »
Maybe portnoy it’s gonna tour with JP for the G3 shows :) that should be fun.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 07:22:48 AM »

I kinda waited for that to happen, but it'll be Mangini

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 07:24:21 AM »
Love the pic. So good to see these long time friends together!

Nice to see them hanging out again, as much as this has probably happened many times before.
Actually it hasn't since MP left the band. The end of 2016 was the first time they got together, but now that they did it again in 2017, maybe this is becoming a new annual thing.

Is it safe to say this is the first time the fans have seen them together in more than 7 years?
Yes.

Amen!

That would be cool, but given MP's focus on SoA for the whole of 2018, I'd imagine this will be impossible.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:15 AM »
I read somewhere that Mangini was confirmed as JP’s drummer on this G3 tour.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DTA

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 07:46:32 AM »
This is a great photo and it’s awesome to see them back together and in good spirits. I really wouldn’t read too much into it though, MP returning to DT would imo NOT be a healthy thing for the band.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 07:49:46 AM »
Great to see two long time friends hanging out again, their lives and families have been so interwoven over the years, it’s awesome to see them just spending time together. Personally, that’s enough for me.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 07:53:26 AM »
JP is answering the fans call to get an outside producer for the next DT album.

:biggrin:
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DT2003

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 08:19:35 AM »
This is a great photo and it’s awesome to see them back together and in good spirits. I really wouldn’t read too much into it though, MP returning to DT would imo NOT be a healthy thing for the band.

I agree, but think about how much fun it would be to see Derek’s posts if Mike were to leave SoA and go back to DT.  ;D

In all seriousness though it is cool to see them together. It always seemed like Mike and Jordan remained on good terms and stayed in contact after Mike left, but there was a definitely falling out between Mike and John so it’s good to see that they have mended that and hopefully they will continue to rebuild their friendship, and hopefully will work together in some capacity at some point in the future.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 08:37:35 AM »
It's a good thing to see!  Lot's of history there.... shame to let it continue to sour.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 08:38:41 AM »
It always seemed like Mike and Jordan remained on good terms and stayed in contact after Mike left, but there was a definitely falling out between Mike and John so it’s good to see that they have mended that and hopefully they will continue to rebuild their friendship, and hopefully will work together in some capacity at some point in the future.

My gut feeling was that JP may have felt hurt and a bit betrayed above anything else, that there wasn't really any personal problem with Mike but he must have been like "We've been in this since day 1 and now you walk out on me". But those many years of friendship could have not been thrown to the wind definitively, as this photo finally shows!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 10:24:56 AM »
It always seemed like Mike and Jordan remained on good terms and stayed in contact after Mike left, but there was a definitely falling out between Mike and John so it’s good to see that they have mended that and hopefully they will continue to rebuild their friendship, and hopefully will work together in some capacity at some point in the future.

My gut feeling was that JP may have felt hurt and a bit betrayed above anything else, that there wasn't really any personal problem with Mike but he must have been like "We've been in this since day 1 and now you walk out on me". But those many years of friendship could have not been thrown to the wind definitively, as this photo finally shows!

Glad to see all the recent Sherinianisms haven't prevented this reconnecting from happening. Made the pic my new avatar btw (albeit a little modified color wise). Hope this isn't a problem.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 10:44:42 AM »
You're not going to Just randomly stop being friends, unless something really drastic happens. I always knew that MP and JP would remain friends, since their families have always seemed to be close. Which is why I laugh at the people all surprised.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
People stop being friends for all sorts of reasons, there doesn't have to be some major falling out. Lives chance course, go in different directions all the time.  You don't automatically start hating someone you no longer associate with, you just stop being an active part of their lives. I don't hate the people I was friends with in high school, I just haven't talked to them in 20 years so they aren't my friends any longer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bill1971

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »
Very nice to see as far as humanity and goodwill. I would be dissapointed if they took him back to DT. Would love to see him come on stage and play a few songs though.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 12:47:14 PM »
People stop being friends for all sorts of reasons, there doesn't have to be some major falling out. Lives chance course, go in different directions all the time.  You don't automatically start hating someone you no longer associate with, you just stop being an active part of their lives. I don't hate the people I was friends with in high school, I just haven't talked to them in 20 years so they aren't my friends any longer.

Exactly what I was thinking, yeah..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 01:34:16 PM »
I'm hoping that sometime down the track all members of DT, past and present, are able to put their differences aside, and that a joint tour with SOA and DT comes to fruition.

Offline DTA

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 03:01:33 PM »
I'm hoping that sometime down the track all members of DT, past and present, are able to put their differences aside, and that a joint tour with SOA and DT comes to fruition.

This should have been SoA's goal from the beginning (joint tour), but with Derek's bullshit, I don't see it happening.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »

This should have been SoA's goal from the beginning (joint tour), but with Derek's bullshit, I don't see it happening.

This. It's not like the guys in DT have anything against MP or the SOA guys, but Derek taking shots at them anytime he has the chance to.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »

This. It's not like the guys in DT have anything against MP or the SOA guys, but Derek taking shots at them anytime he has the chance to.

I must admit I thought his tweets were funny in the beginning, but then they became a bit too much. But hey, MP has tweeted far worse things when he left DT, and he and JP made amends. Who knows, maybe they laugh about this in private...JP has played in one of Derek´s albums, so it´s not impossible. 

Offline DT2003

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 05:01:07 PM »

There is at least one (possibly two) members of DT who are not all that fond of Mike, it appears.

Regardless of Derek’s tweets I don’t think a DT/SoA tour ever would have happened.  Derek’s tweets just reinforced that.