Author Topic: Happy New Year From JP and MP  (Read 5249 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Re: Happy New Year From JP and MP
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »
I don't really want James to be replaced in DT, but I'm open to the possibility if he just can't do the material justice anymore. I'd hate to see DT calling it quits only because their vocalist can't keep up.

I would totally agree 15 years ago. But these guys don't have much left in terms of output or touring just by virtue of their age. There is nothing to be gained by replacing a member who can't carry their load at this point.

I disagree totally, there would be an awful lot TO gain by doing this. All of the musicians are still at the very top of their game and can go on for another 10 years at least but JLB must be getting very close to having to call it quits before his (and to a large extent too, the bands) reputation and legacy is ruined. Concert after concert these days is followed by lots of online comments that James is really struggling and sounding bad (in places). There is never even ONE comment similar about any of the other members so to me, if it came to a choice between the band quiting before their time or replacing James, then they answer is easy for me, tell James "thanks for a brilliant 25 odd years" and then find a new singer.

I just don't think we are going to see DT playing as much of the songs that JLB struggles with anymore.  I very much believe that many of the songs from I&W may have been put to rest on that last tour. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
All of the musicians are still at the very top of their game and can go on for another 10 years at least but JLB must be getting very close to having to call it quits before his (and to a large extent too, the bands) reputation and legacy is ruined. ...if it came to a choice between the band quiting before their time or replacing James, then they answer is easy for me, tell James "thanks for a brilliant 25 odd years" and then find a new singer.

Kinda being facetious here, but then why don't bands just get a new 20 year old singer every 5 years or so?

If the band cannot continue because of James' physical limitations, than is is their time to hang it up. The band isn't 4 musicians and a signer, it is 5 guys working together 100%.

We are getting way off topic here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2018, 03:57:21 PM »
There's a pretty recent interview with James that erwinrafael posted where he said they're all pretty much on the same page that they want to continue for at least another ten years. If they do, I think they'll be just fine. They're not going to hurt their reputation. People have been talking  about James for as long as I've been a fan. And yet people still walk away from the shows talking about what a great job he did.  If they need to tune down some songs or rearrange some vocal melodies, I don't think that'll really be an issue. People were also talking about Geddy's voice for a long time but I don't think Rush suffered for it.  James is doing a great job and will continue to do so

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2018, 04:00:03 PM »
There's a pretty recent interview with James that erwinrafael posted where he said they're all pretty much on the same page that they want to continue for at least another ten years. If they do, I think they'll be just fine. They're not going to hurt their reputation. People have been talking  about James for as long as I've been a fan. And yet people still walk away from the shows talking about what a great job he did.  If they need to tune down some songs or rearrange some vocal melodies, I don't think that'll really be an issue. People were also talking about Geddy's voice for a long time but I don't think Rush suffered for it.  James is doing a great job and will continue to do so

JLB mentioned doing a wheel chair tour at the last show they did when talking about how they keep planning on going strong. You are right, the haters have hated on JLB since the beginning of it all.  While I do agree that his vocals have gotten worse over time, they are what they are and his voice is important to the band regardless of whether or not he can nail every note every night.  They can still make the live performances work and they will do so.

Online RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »

JLB mentioned doing a wheel chair tour at the last show they did when talking about how they keep planning on going strong. You are right, the haters have hated on JLB since the beginning of it all.  While I do agree that his vocals have gotten worse over time, they are what they are and his voice is important to the band regardless of whether or not he can nail every note every night.  They can still make the live performances work and they will do so.

Yeah, I think they're a tight unit now, and only a few years away from being the lineup that lasted the longest. I did not like The Astonishing and have been quite vocal about it, but you have to admire them for sticking to their guns.