Author Topic: iTunes CDr burning issues with version 12.7.2.58 (and 12.7.2.60)...and the fix  (Read 1626 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
This came up in early December after an iTunes ‘upgrade’ to version 12.7.2.58.  CDRs would burn the first track, and then stop and eject the disc with the following error message:    "The attempt to burn a disc failed.   An unknown error occurred.  (0x80004005)".
A couple of days later, another ‘upgrade’ arrived  12.7.2.60.  Yea! A fix!  Wrong, the same error would occur.

I read up on the issue
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8190951?start=15&tstart=0

I saved my iTunes to a thumbnail, uninstalled, reinstalled….no luck.  Around the 14th, I called iTunes support, whose staff was that I talked with was unaware of the issue.  I showed them the discussion page.  I went through many steps with them for over two hours, and finally got a disc to burn.  And another.  I told them that the easiest ‘fix’ would be to send out a ‘new’ upgrade, with the previous version, 12.7.1.14, being the one to use.  This obviously fell on deaf ears.  A couple of days later, I tried another playlist.  Same error issue. 

Last weekend, I went back to the discussion page.  First, a listing of all available iTune programs can be found here:
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6562#versions

METHOD 1:
Dec 22, 2017 9:29 AM in response to Graeme02
Uninstall iTunes. (You can leave the other Apple components alone).
Download and install one of the following as appropriate:
•   iTunes 12.7.1.14 for Windows (32-bit) - iTunesSetup.exe
(https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/091-30743-20171030-2E974C8C-B9B4-11E7-A0B9-71E6DF1CD815/iTunesSetup.exe)
•   iTunes 12.7.1.14 for Windows (64-bit) - iTunes64Setup.exe
(https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/091-30751-20171030-2E96FF02-B9B4-11E7-81C5-9CE3DF1CD815/iTunes64Setup.exe)

And then, METHOD 2:
Dec 22, 2017 11:58 AM in response to franklg
•   Installing iTunes also installs Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software Update and Bonjour. Uninstalling iTunes doesn't automatically remove them, and depending on which version you choose to go back to all components need to be removed first. I haven't tested this personally but the reports from other users suggest that the CD burning issue is limited to iTunes for Windows 12.7.2.58 & 12.7.2.60 and that reverting 12.7.1.14 fixes it. Perhaps on this occasion you should try removing all Apple components, reboot, then reinstall the selected build. There is more in  Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates tip.
(https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6562)

(https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/091-30743-20171030-2E974C8C-B9B4-11E7-A0B9-71E6DF1CD815/iTunesSetup.exe)
(https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/itunes12/091-30751-20171030-2E96FF02-B9B4-11E7-81C5-9CE3DF1CD815/iTunes64Setup.exe)

And then, METHOD 3:
Thank you, turingtest2, for the clarification and the SyncToy tip, as well as the links to the older executables! Your technique worked perfectly for me.  After using SyncToy to backup 135 GB of iTunes (just to be safe), uninstalling iTunes 12.7.2.58 and installing the earlier version (12.7.1.14), I've created 5 CDs so far without a hitch! To paraphrase your messages:

First download, install and setup SyncToy, a free Microsoft incremental backup utility; very useful!

Download and install one of the following as appropriate:
(https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2682)

Use SyncToy to backup your iTunes library. Above link contains detailed steps. Uninstall iTunes (You can leave the other Apple components alone).

I couple of nights ago, I finally had time, chose Method 2, uninstalling iTunes and removing all of the ‘sundry’ Apple programs .  My library and playlists also came back, without having to use my thumbnail.  It worked!  The 'burning' error is gone.  And still works. 

Ah, but a small ‘bug’ still remains in the 12.7.1.14 version.  It will burn the wrong playlist.  For some reason, mine goes back to my version of a Chicago III listing.  Well…..I always put 15 seconds of silence (found before the bonus track from Brian May’s ‘Another World’ CD) at the end of each of my cdrs, so that the car player won’t immediately jump from the last song to the first.

I will play the 15 second silent track of my playlist, then go through the ‘burn’ procedure.  The playlist of my choosing now starts the process of burning my chosen list.  I just now did a David Bowie playlist, playing the final fifteen second or so of the final song.  The correct playlist burned.

I only added eight coasters during this process, so I consider myself fortunate.

If you know of anyone having iTunes issues, please pass this along.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
If you know of anyone having iTunes issues, please pass this along inform them it is almost 2018 and there are plenty of better options out there

:laugh:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I literally had to run the OP through Google Translate. It basically translated to "Screw you TAC, you're not smart enough to join the discussion".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
If you know of anyone having iTunes issues, please pass this along inform them it is almost 2018 and there are plenty of better options out there

:laugh:

What are they?  I'm an old f*ck who wishes that iTunes could do a couple of other things, but I get by and it serves its purpose, and I 'don't have the as much time for music anymore'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I am sorry for the snarky remark. I feel I just see and hear more and more "Need help with iTunes/I wish iTunes did/didn't do this..." conversations. Just this week, I:

Ripped all my CDs via Windows Media Player
Updated tags with mp3tag software (free)
Play via Pulsar on my tablet.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What is Pulsar?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The only thing I know about iTunes is that I plug my Ipod in, it syncs up, then I crank the rock.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The only thing I know about iTunes is that I plug my Ipod in, it syncs up, then I crank the rock.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
I am sorry for the snarky remark. I feel I just see and hear more and more "Need help with iTunes/I wish iTunes did/didn't do this..." conversations.

Yeah, I took it that way at first.  All's well (and I'm glad I toned down my initial reply....a little).  A carry over from other events.  With similar tasks and efforts that are put into putting something like this out, sometimes it's nice to get a simple 'thank you'.

Just this week, I:

Ripped all my CDs via Windows Media Player
Updated tags with mp3tag software (free)
Play via Pulsar on my tablet.

I initially tried WMP ...gee, must be about 14 years ago, but the discs would not play in my home or car stereo.  A few years ago, the 'upgraded' iTunes no longer kept the track listing on burned discs, and hasn't since.  I wish I could adjust the volume levels for various songs (as Apple customers can), but I found a way around that.  Back in the 'stone knives and bear skins' days, I'd make assorted tapes from LPs and CDs, and adjust the record levels up or down so that the song volumes would be 'consistent' throughout.   I miss the end result of those days......but not the time spent doing them ;)

iTunes has generally been quick and easy and convenient.  Seems that Apple 'doesn't have time for music anymore' regarding Windows users (great quality control, btw, to put out a flawed upgrade without testing).  Seems they don't care about customer service overall these days.

Moving on.....maybe I should start a different thread on a question I've asked many friends (where I get a morsel of info but nothing complete) and I'll get over the embarrassment of not knowing by putting it up here:

'What is the best, or most user friendly, or even least expensive and safe download to transfer FLAC to mp3?'  I have various Queen concerts, band and solo demos downloaded (a few other bands as well), just waiting to be transferred to disc.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
DragonAttack, I have never had/used iTunes, but have heard that it needlessly "Upgrades" itself way too much, and often not for the better. I am old enough to have made mixed tapes as well, but if you were doing stuff like sound level adjustment you went above and beyond what I ever did.

I do not have an answer to your new question.

What is Pulsar?

It's a free app I use on my tablet to listen to my music - much better than Google Play or the default music player - whatever it is called. You can even edit tags with it which was nice because despite mp3tag being awesome, a few things were still messed up when I moved all my music from my desktop to my tablet.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Burrrn is an amazing free little program made for burning music CDs, and it's very easy to use. You just have to drag your songs into it, and click Burn.