Author Topic: James Labrie vocal change (video)  (Read 712 times)

Offline gzarruk

James Labrie vocal change (video)
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:34:38 AM »
I found this very good video compilation of James' vocals through the years. It's intended to showcase the evolution of his voice after all these years of singing/touring.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0W8wHA1WxM

They've done the same kind of videos for other singers like Fabio Lione. I think it's really cool.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Offical Obsessed Member
  • DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
    • James LaBrie
Re: James Labrie vocal change (video)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:51:47 AM »
Informative video for sure.

There is a really different vocal style between Winter Rose - Awake which seems really strong change for James. Then again, with FII coming out he went with I&W-ish style. Scenes also has some operatic style while SDOIT and ToT came close to Awake style vocally. I mean, he fit just perfect but this seems to me very risky changes for a singer. These changes are not minor.

After BC&SL I don't recognize major changes in vocal style. In short, I never think food accident is the major reason that he is inconsistent live vocalist through the years. (he is always great at studio). There is noticeable vocal style changes too that may cause inefficacious live performances.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »
In short, I never think food accident is the major reason that he is inconsistent live vocalist through the years. (he is always great at studio).

That's been my impression as well. I'm sure the event happened, but he already started struggling with the material live before the event, and afterwards it was a gradual decline, not cataclysmic as people claim it was.
What never gets mentioned is him trying to sing with more grit, I suspect that that had way more influence. To my ears, the grit never came natural to his voice, so if he forced it night after night, that will take its toll.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Evai

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 11:26:32 AM »
His gritty vocals are a lot better now though, I bet if they did the Master Of Puppets thing again, it would be more listenable. Just his clean vox have suffered for it
You are acting very strange!

Nervous and on edge!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
In short, I never think food accident is the major reason that he is inconsistent live vocalist through the years. (he is always great at studio).

That's been my impression as well. I'm sure the event happened, but he already started struggling with the material live before the event, and afterwards it was a gradual decline, not cataclysmic as people claim it was.
What never gets mentioned is him trying to sing with more grit, I suspect that that had way more influence. To my ears, the grit never came natural to his voice, so if he forced it night after night, that will take its toll.

There are some brutal I&W boots out there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »

Agreed. The Grit was never his thing. Not sure if outside influences were responsible or if it was internal or both.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 03:06:58 AM »
Looking at the video, I'm so happy I was around from 2011 up to 2014.

Online Evai

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 06:14:30 AM »
Agreed. The Grit was never his thing. Not sure if outside influences were responsible or if it was internal or both.

Judging from the Making Of Systematic Chaos (around where this style started), the band were very specific in exactly what they wanted JLB to sound like. I don't doubt that they made him sing every line and try to make it grittier and edgier each time
You are acting very strange!

Nervous and on edge!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 08:18:06 AM »
In my opinion James did the best vocal performance on Awake followed by IAW  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 08:22:24 AM »

Judging from the Making Of Systematic Chaos (around where this style started), the band were very specific in exactly what they wanted JLB to sound like. I don't doubt that they made him sing every line and try to make it grittier and edgier each time
I think his harsh, edgy singing on Systematic chaos is great. It's even more impressive on Static impulse, which is his solo album, so it doesn't make me think he never wanted to sing with grit. In fact, he wanted to sing Images and words harsher but was held back - that's why the bootlegs from that tour feature edgy singing. That also probably allowed him to peform the Awake album with so much grit.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream..
    • Strange DT Vids
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »

I think his harsh, edgy singing on Systematic chaos is great. It's even more impressive on Static impulse, which is his solo album, so it doesn't make me think he never wanted to sing with grit. In fact, he wanted to sing Images and words harsher but was held back - that's why the bootlegs from that tour feature edgy singing. That also probably allowed him to peform the Awake album with so much grit.

Exactly.. Actually, that style starts in Elements of Persuasion, which is before SC, and in the same year than Octavarium, in which he clearly doesn't use it.. I also think is how he prefers to sing, or preferred to sing in those albums, rather than "they make him sing like that"..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
Google Play goo.gl/AjKEWm iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3p2WSYL5tQ (Lyric video)