Author Topic: G3  (Read 10619 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: G3
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
The first one was an instrumental cover.  The rest had vocals.  Very blues-based "jammy" kind of tunes.

Interesting, I thought the individual sets were always all instrumental.

I thought the same thing too although I had never been to a G3 show, just have seen one of their DVDs that had JP, Vai, and Satch.  I'd considering going to one of the two shows by me, but I'll be in Denver for one and the other I am going to a different concert that evening.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
I went to the G3 when robert Fripp played and I arrived late to find what I thought was a roadie tuning the guitar, fiddling with some equipment. Ten minutes later when people started clapping I realised that was Fripp and that was the first song 😀

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
The first one was an instrumental cover.  The rest had vocals.  Very blues-based "jammy" kind of tunes.

Interesting, I thought the individual sets were always all instrumental.

When I saw G3 in 2007 Paul Gilbert played many songs with vocals.

I saw G3 on the same tour and I was surprised to hear so many vocals from Gilbert.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2018, 11:55:37 PM »
I went to the G3 when robert Fripp played and I arrived late to find what I thought was a roadie tuning the guitar, fiddling with some equipment. Ten minutes later when people started clapping I realised that was Fripp and that was the first song 😀

While I like a lot of what Fripp does, I can totally see that happening.  :lol
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2018, 05:02:32 AM »
I'm still debating whether or not to see them in Toronto next month. I've seen two G3's: Satch/Eric Johnson/Petrucci (John had MP in his band, and he completely stole the show!) and Satch/Steve Morse/Petrucci.

I should have seen them a third time, with Satch/Fripp/Vai, but got stuck at work on the day of the concert.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »
I'm going to the Eindhoven show, looking forward to it!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »
I might only stick around for Collen's and JP's set. Satch's songs and setlists have been very boring lately.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »
I might only stick around for Collen's and JP's set. Satch's songs and setlists have been very boring lately.
I hear you, but the jam is really fun.  I thought they picked really cool song choices.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
This is just fantastic.  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2018, 03:51:50 PM »
Ugh, I just about feel asleep every time Fripp opened for Porcupine Tree back in the day. Absolutely brutal.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »
Neal Schon of Journey joined them for the Oakland show a couple nights ago. That would have been awesome!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »
Can someone provide me with the start times for each set?  Trying to estimate what time I need to leave work on Friday.  Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
For ours, show started at 7:00.  I want to say Phil went until about 7:35.  Maybe 7:40.  JP started just before 8:00 and finished at 8:38 (yes, I know the precise end time).  Satch went on just after 9:00.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »
^^ Thanks, Bosk1, now I can plan accordingly ^^

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2018, 10:03:22 PM »
Will also be there Friday! Have seen Satch a number of times but have never attended G3, very glad JP is part of my first show  :metal

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 04:54:52 PM »
???  You don't want to spend Valentine's Day with John Petrucci?  Does not compute...  (although I can see how some might lean more toward wanting to spend it with shirtless, oiled up Phil Collen instead)
Uhhmmm. I'll just put it this way. ( and I am a woman) my son says,  "Big guns beat abs".  :blush

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 04:57:28 PM »
Went to the Reno show with my hubby and son.  Soo good. Great seats, great sound. Would go again if I could.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 05:04:06 PM »
Went to the Reno show with my hubby and son.  Soo good. Great seats, great sound. Would go again if I could.

We were there as well.  I really like that venue.  Where were you guys?  We were fifth row (row E), in the right hand block of seats just on the right side of the aisle (pretty much right in front of JP during his set).

EDIT:  Also, I have to say: I didn't pick up or listen to Suspended Animation when it came out, so I was pretty out of the loop on this album for the longest time.  But it is probably one of my favorite guitar instrumental albums, along with Shift by Travis Larson Band.  (I also really like Rodrigo Y Gabriela's stuff, but that is such a different style that I don't really put it in the same discussion)  Damage Control is just SO good.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:20:40 PM by bosk1 »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »

We were there as well.  I really like that venue.  Where were you guys?  We were fifth row (row E), in the right hand block of seats just on the right side of the aisle (pretty much right in front of JP during his set).

We were in the 3rd row, on the right, the inboard aisle seats. (wish we were on the other side, but great none the less) I was clapping so much during JP, then I got the point, and nod from him (really, my hubby saw lol!) and made the night even better :). It was so fun. What was really great is that my hubby, who likes a little "happier" rock than I do, really loved the show. And my 19 y/o son, who likes the heavier stuff and just started the guitar about 3 years ago, said "well, that was eye opening".  A great family night out lol! Poor guys, I drown them in DT all-the-time. I love that venue. I don't notice the musical issues that you do, so for me loud, close and comfy seats were awesome. I have never really gotten into instrumental only stuff, but I have to say JP's guitar playing is changing my mind. Somehow it does a great job of filing in for the missing vocals. I will definitely be checking out more of this music.

Online gborland

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
I have seen Fripp opening for G3 and PT. WTF made anyone think a rock crowd would want to listen to an ancient dude playing "soundscapes" or whatever the fuck it was? Certainly at the G3 show, the crowd gave him a pretty hard time.
Graham Borland

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »

We were in the 3rd row, on the right, the inboard aisle seats. (wish we were on the other side, but great none the less) I was clapping so much during JP, then I got the point, and nod from him (really, my hubby saw lol!) and made the night even better :). It was so fun. What was really great is that my hubby, who likes a little "happier" rock than I do, really loved the show. And my 19 y/o son, who likes the heavier stuff and just started the guitar about 3 years ago, said "well, that was eye opening".  A great family night out lol! Poor guys, I drown them in DT all-the-time. I love that venue. I don't notice the musical issues that you do, so for me loud, close and comfy seats were awesome. I have never really gotten into instrumental only stuff, but I have to say JP's guitar playing is changing my mind. Somehow it does a great job of filing in for the missing vocals. I will definitely be checking out more of this music.

Can't remember where you are located.  But if you are in the Sacramento area, you might be interested in this event later tonight:  https://shinesacramento.com/events/

Travis is an AWESOME instrumental guitar player, and the shows at Shine are a nice experience.  And it is an all ages show.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »

EDIT:  Also, I have to say: I didn't pick up or listen to Suspended Animation when it came out, so I was pretty out of the loop on this album for the longest time.  But it is probably one of my favorite guitar instrumental albums, along with Shift by Travis Larson Band.  (I also really like Rodrigo Y Gabriela's stuff, but that is such a different style that I don't really put it in the same discussion)  Damage Control is just SO good.

Suspended Animation is really fantastic, honestly the strength of that album is what makes me wish JP would release something else, even an EP or something would be cool.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »
Thanks! I am in Reno actually..

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
IS JP selling any merch at the G3 shows?

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:28 AM »

Yes.  A shirt or 2, guitar picks, and a scarf.  Didn't notice if his CD was on sale.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »

Yes.  A shirt or 2, guitar picks, and a scarf.  Didn't notice if his CD was on sale.

Thanks Chris. Will be seeing him tomorrow in Austin. Stoked!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »
Wow. The new songs JP is playing are monstrous. What's with the intro Wrath of the Amazons (According to setlist.fm). Is that an unreleased JP songs or is that a cover from someone else? My wife joined me and had couple of interesting comments about JP: a) the intro was cheesy for her and b) she thinks JP is the "darkest, heaviest" of the 3 guitarists, which was true. JP's tone was heavy AF (which I loved).

Another interesting comment from her was that Keneally looks like your typical old husband that walks everywhere with the wife  :rollin But the guy can sure play. She was very impressed when MK played guitar on one hand and the keys with the other.

You know there's a saying that kids and drunks are the only people who tell you the truth. I would add a "prog fan's wire" to that list.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »
That intro is JP's spin on the theme from the Wonder Woman soundtrack :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »
That intro is JP's spin on the theme from the Wonder Woman soundtrack :metal

Ah ok. I thought it had like a Spy vs Spy kind of theme going on.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »
Wallingford CT. tomorrow night. Any one else going?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »
Good show in CT last night. I applaud Phil Collin for being ambitious and being part of this tour but it was obvious he was not the reason for the turnout. He had an ok reception after he finished. I enjoyed his set. It didn't exceed any expectation, its pretty much what I expected going in.
JP got a standing O which was nice.
 I bolted out on the very last number with all 3 guys in favor of not being stuck in gridlock leaving the venue so I don't know what the final response was.
To me, this was a nice show but not a must see event. I had a good time so that's what counts.

My trip to Pittsburgh to see Marillion next Tuesday is what I'm really jacked for. That will be a nice little road trip.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:33:02 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2018, 09:47:22 AM »
Would anybody be willing to pick up a JP CD for me?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »
Wow. The new songs JP is playing are monstrous. What's with the intro Wrath of the Amazons (According to setlist.fm). Is that an unreleased JP songs or is that a cover from someone else? My wife joined me and had couple of interesting comments about JP: a) the intro was cheesy for her and b) she thinks JP is the "darkest, heaviest" of the 3 guitarists, which was true. JP's tone was heavy AF (which I loved).

Another interesting comment from her was that Keneally looks like your typical old husband that walks everywhere with the wife  :rollin But the guy can sure play. She was very impressed when MK played guitar on one hand and the keys with the other.

You know there's a saying that kids and drunks are the only people who tell you the truth. I would add a "prog fan's wire" to that list.

Onlynot that many prog fans have wives... 😀

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »
I'm totally not understanding the whole "not selling Suspended Animation CDs at the gig".

I mean, there must be a reason.  To the outsiders like myself who don't know how things work it makes no sense.  Say you've never heard JP before (shocking, I know), and he just rocked your world live, and you can't get the songs legitimately?  It's not even available digitally (iTunes) but the "Evening With" is.

I understand (sort of) not trucking thousands of CDs around with you, but a few small boxes would be great, even people that own it would probably buy it if they were doing a meet&greet and get it signed.  But to not even have it available digitally really baffles me.

Can someone ask JP why he's not or can't sell that CD any more?  Even just to have a real reason as to why, I'm sure many of us would like to understand.