Author Topic: G3  (Read 10627 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
G3
« on: December 29, 2017, 12:19:24 PM »
There isn't a thread on this, and I'm not sure where I saw it posted when it was announced a few months ago.  Anyway, for those who might have missed it, the lineup this year is Joe Satriani (of course), John Petrucci, Phil Collen (European leg has Uli Jon Roth in place of Phil).  U.S. let kicks off in Seattle January 11.  https://www.satriani.com/G3/

Anyone going?  I will likely be at the 1/13 show.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: G3
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »
My sister bought her husband tickets to the Seattle show. There was talk of me going but it isn't really my thing and my sister kind wanted to go too - she got him two tickets and wasn't clear that the intention was for the two of them to go, not for him to take a buddy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
They are performing on Valentine's Day in DC, and before I got a chance to ask JP if he could change the date  ;) when I met him before the Balto show, he had to leave.

Philly is a possibility the following Saturday, unless I feel like driving up to Battle Creek MI that night instead  :lol

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:15:04 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
???  You don't want to spend Valentine's Day with John Petrucci?  Does not compute...  (although I can see how some might lean more toward wanting to spend it with shirtless, oiled up Phil Collen instead)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »
I want to be with my wife for another fifteen years......and I'm pretty sure that she is not into G3somes....
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 03:17:46 PM »
I want to be with my wife for another fifteen years......and I'm pretty sure that she is not into G3somes....

JP will always be there for you in another fifteen years too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »
So...G stands for Gay?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »
So...G stands for Gay?

If it includes Kip Winger and JP, for me it's a yes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
 :lol :lol

Of course!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »
I should see if I can still get tickets to the Reno show. It's not often there is a show near me that I want to see.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
Thinking about tickets for the Pittsburgh show, pretty pricey though, looks like more than what I paid to see DT in the same venue a couple months ago.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »
Will likely end up going to the NYC show.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »
So, enlighten me a bit.  How does these G3 tours work?  Is it mainly them doing covers of their most respective work?  Is there a backing band handpicked by Satriani?  Do these guitarists play together and do some other covers and improvisation and jams?

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 07:29:13 PM »
So, enlighten me a bit.  How does these G3 tours work?  Is it mainly them doing covers of their most respective work?  Is there a backing band handpicked by Satriani?  Do these guitarists play together and do some other covers and improvisation and jams?

Each guitarist gets a set with a backing band (each guitar player brings their own backing band). Typically, the guitarists that play these tours have original instrumental music of their own to play. Not sure if Phil does or not. But JP will play stuff from SA and a couple new solo songs he’s written, and JS has a huge catalog of stuff to pick from.

So each player does their own set with their own backing band, and then the encore is all three guitarists coming out together and jamming on a couple popular cover songs, with the backing musicians cycling in and out. They do stuff everyone knows, like Hendrix, Deep Purple, etc...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 12:47:11 AM »
^Yeah, that.  And for the encores, they extend the solo and basically turn them into huge extended solo jams where all three guitarists trade off and go crazy.  For example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9zdyqs1-0

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 03:02:04 AM »
Pretty awesome event to go to, I think. Tickets are hugely expensive though, so I'm not entirely sure whether to go or not.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 03:30:25 AM »
I'm going to the January 16th show. I was going to skip it at first because Phil Collin doesn't really capture my imagination but I can't pass up Satch and JP. Besides, Mrs. P really wants to go (probably to watch me geek out).

As the day gets closer, I'm actually wondering what Collin has up his sleeve, considering the company he'll be with. It could be interesting.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline max_security

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 05:13:56 AM »
The last one I saw was G3 2001 at the Warner Theater. I caught a Mike Portnoy DW Stick.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »
I got my tickets for the Boston show.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 08:27:31 AM »
I was all set to buy tickets for Wallingford CT on 2/8 but that changed when Marillion decided to come to the states and the closest show to Connecticut was Pittsburgh. So I opted to buy tickets for that instead and make it an overnight road trip.

Still...it could wind up being a game time decision to still go to G3 in CT.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »
Whose knob did Phil Collen polish to get on this tour?  Or was no one else available?

Online goo-goo

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »
I got tickets for the Austin show. Not sure if I’m going to dtay for the full Collen and Satch sets. Will probably see the Satch seist before deciding.

This would be my 2nd time seeing G3 with JP. I first saw him in 2001 in Denver. I was a college student back then and drove 12 hours from El Paso, TX to Denver and drove back after the show straight to work. I probably took 5 yrs out of my life in doing that.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 05:27:04 AM »
JP in my hometown = No brainer

Got my tickets for Eindhoven (the Netherlands) on the 14th op april

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »
Christmas present from the Mrs was a G3 ticket for Manchester. My first chance to see uli Roth.

Not seen satch for a while and this Petrucci bloke is meant to be pretty good. Hoping for some new stuff from him too.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »
Whose knob did Phil Collen polish to get on this tour?  Or was no one else available?

Not sure if this means anything, but when it came up at our family Christmas, only my sister, her husband, and I knew who any of these guys are. But my 70 year old mom wanted to make it very clear she knew who Def Leppard was and was surprised my dad didn't. In fairness to my mom, they were my favorite band in the late 80s.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 04:46:38 PM »
I think Phil Collen is an interesting addition. He has a bluesy project called Delta Deep. Not something you'd expect from him.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 09:20:58 AM »
Interesting G3 lineup.

I've gone to a G3 show years ago with the lineup of Satriani - Petrucci - Gilbert. It was a great show but I left around the 3 hour mark into Satriani's set. It was just too much weedly weedly for my ears. :lol

I'd go again only if Guthrie Govan ended up on the bill.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »

Maybe they're banking on people who think Phil Collins will be there...
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Wait he isn’t the drummer for JP at G3?

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 08:45:37 PM »
Already have tickets for the St. Pete, FL show for me, the wife and my two daughters  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
Hope JP adds at least another new song to his set and doesn't end up playing the same songs as in 2012.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »
I'll be at the Seattle show.

Finishing off a great couple weeks of concerts for me -- Queensryche on Dec 29, Fates Warning this Friday, and G3 on the 11th.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 12:12:11 PM »
Finishing off a great couple weeks of concerts for me -- Queensryche on Dec 29, Fates Warning this Friday...

Dang, that sounds like a great way to finish off the year.... of 1987! :D

And nice to see another Seattleite here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 04:29:12 PM »
So...tour starts tomorrow.  Been listening to Suspended Animation to get ready.  I had forgotten how good some of those songs are.  It reminds me of a good mix of LTE and Satch, which isn't a bad thing.  I just don't listen to guitar-based instrumental music all that much or I would listen more. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »
So...tour starts tomorrow.  Been listening to Suspended Animation to get ready.  I had forgotten how good some of those songs are.  It reminds me of a good mix of LTE and Satch, which isn't a bad thing.  I just don't listen to guitar-based instrumental music all that much or I would listen more.

Bosk, if you get to talk to JP at the show you're going, would you mind asking him if he plans to finally record his 2nd solo album this year? I really like the 3 new songs he played in 2012, but all we have are bad quality audience recordings on youtube.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."