Author Topic: G3  (Read 10629 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: G3
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2018, 07:38:59 AM »
I know it's out of print but I"m curious as to how difficult it'd be to get a small batch of cd's ready for the gig. I also don't understand why he wouldn't sell the cd.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »
I'm totally not understanding the whole "not selling Suspended Animation CDs at the gig".

I mean, there must be a reason.  To the outsiders like myself who don't know how things work it makes no sense.  Say you've never heard JP before (shocking, I know), and he just rocked your world live, and you can't get the songs legitimately?  It's not even available digitally (iTunes) but the "Evening With" is.

I understand (sort of) not trucking thousands of CDs around with you, but a few small boxes would be great, even people that own it would probably buy it if they were doing a meet&greet and get it signed.  But to not even have it available digitally really baffles me.

Can someone ask JP why he's not or can't sell that CD any more?  Even just to have a real reason as to why, I'm sure many of us would like to understand.
You don't have to not understand it because he IS selling the CD. I saw quite a few copies on the merch table in CT.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2018, 08:25:13 AM »
I know it's out of print but I"m curious as to how difficult it'd be to get a small batch of cd's ready for the gig. I also don't understand why he wouldn't sell the cd.
He is selling them. I saw them.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
Can anybody pick up a copy for me please?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »

I should be able to at the show next Sunday.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »

PM sent.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2018, 07:58:41 AM »
Here's a link to a FULL show.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw2bn1Q5ZYE

This is the first I've been able to listen to Phil Collen's set since the who I saw, so I am loving this. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »

PM sent.

Never saw a PM from you, but turns out I won't be going after all :(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Strongly considering going to G3 in Chicago next week. Not really a fan of watching guitarists be guitarists though. I literally only want to go to pick up a copy of Suspended Animation. I'll update in a couple days if I'm going for sure or not, but I'd be more than happy to pick up CDs if they still have some.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2018, 11:30:55 AM »
Strongly considering going to G3 in Chicago next week. Not really a fan of watching guitarists be guitarists though.

Generally speaking, I feel the same way.  And with Satriani specifically, I simultaneously am in awe of what he is doing on the guitar, along with the skill and sense of melody he brings, while also being completely bored to tears.  But I still think it is worth going, for a few reasons:  First, Phil Collen's set is really fun and different.  Second, Petrucci is a joy to watch, and the heavier, darker vibe he brings to the table is different than the typical guitar instrumentalist.  Along those lines, at least for now, G3 is the ONLY opportunity you will have to hear Wrath of the Amazons and Glassy-Eyed Zombies, both of which are pretty fun songs.  Third, the encore jam is SO much fun!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
Strongly considering going to G3 in Chicago next week. Not really a fan of watching guitarists be guitarists though.

Generally speaking, I feel the same way.  And with Satriani specifically, I simultaneously am in awe of what he is doing on the guitar, along with the skill and sense of melody he brings, while also being completely bored to tears.  But I still think it is worth going, for a few reasons:  First, Phil Collen's set is really fun and different.  Second, Petrucci is a joy to watch, and the heavier, darker vibe he brings to the table is different than the typical guitar instrumentalist.  Along those lines, at least for now, G3 is the ONLY opportunity you will have to hear Wrath of the Amazons and Glassy-Eyed Zombies, both of which are pretty fun songs.  Third, the encore jam is SO much fun!

Ehhhh. I dunno. I'm just not into it. I don't care about Phil Collen, and Satch being Satch is not something that sounds very exciting or interesting. The new Petrucci stuff would be cool (WOTA is just the Wonder Woman thing right...?), but I kid you not, it's just the sale of the album that's drawing me. If I could just get it online I would, but SOMEONE won't get more copies printed... or release that second album that's been on the table for over 10 years :) :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
WOTA is just the Wonder Woman thing right...?

More or less, yeah.  It is based on the Wonder Woman theme, and is obviously metalled up. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2018, 11:52:07 AM »
Yeah, meh. Play Glasgow Kiss instead. And if he already played it, play it again.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »
:lol  Glasgow Kiss is in the set.  Dude, if you actually see WOTA and think "meh," I don't know what to tell you.  I wish there was an album version of it, because it's pretty awesome.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2018, 01:22:33 PM »
I mean, I'm sure it's nice live, but it's in no way a draw for me to see the show.

Honestly I think I'm just gonna drive up to Chicago, grab the CD and leave. I fucking hate guitar showboating  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
I mean, I'm sure it's nice live, but it's in no way a draw for me to see the show.

Honestly I think I'm just gonna drive up to Chicago, grab the CD and leave. I fucking hate guitar showboating  :lol

You mean your gonna take the time to drive, pay for a ticket, grab the cd, and not watch those songs on the cd get played live?

That is if he still has the CD.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
Probably. If the CD isn't there then fuck it I guess I'll stay. Is the order static? If JP isn't playing first, I don't want to sit through Collen and/or Satch. I. literally. only want the CD and I can't get it anywhere, so... yeah. Don't judge me.  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2018, 02:01:01 PM »
Is the order static?

Yes.  JP is in the #2 spot.  I've said my piece, so you can do what you want and I won't judge.  :biggrin:  But I'll just add:  Collen's set isn't what you might expect given his work in Def Leppard or what you might expect at a G3 show.  Most of his relatively short set is comprised of blues-based hard rock with either him or a female singer doing the vocals (and BOTH are really good singers).  She also does the vocals on Highway Star, Superstitious, and Goin' Down during the encore jam, and she rips it up!

But there.  I've said my piece.  I'm done.  Either way, enjoy.  :)

EDIT:  Okay, one LAST pitch for JP's set:
1.  WOTA is at 32:06 here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw2bn1Q5ZYE  Do yourself a favor and at least check it out.  Seriously.  (First bit is basically intro.  It doesn't REALLY start until about 34:10) 
2.  He also plays Cloud Ten, which I had forgotten is not on Suspended Animation either.  So going to that show, you actually get THREE unlreased songs. 

Okay, now I'm done for real.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:39:40 PM by bosk1 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2018, 03:20:19 PM »
bosk, have you ever been called persistent before?  :lol "Blues-based hard rock" just made my decision to not watch Collen so much easier. Okay, you got me on JP, I'll probably arrive late and watch him. But I want that CD, damn it! That's all that matters!

(I worked for the better part of a decade with two older fellas who missed no opportunity - zero, zilch, nada - to rave about Phil Collen, and I just never got it. I like Def Leppard, but don't give a rat's behind (pardon the language) about watching Phil Collen play solo  :lol)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2018, 03:26:08 PM »
bosk, have you ever been called persistent before?  :lol

:lol  I know, I know.  It's just hard to digest that you'll be there and have a ticket, but not even try to see the show.  I'm letting it go now.  :)

But if you DO happen to watch any of Phil's songs in the link above, skip to song #3.  The blues stuff is really cool.  But the first two songs aren't that, and they are the type of stuff you wouldn't want to watch.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2018, 03:50:37 PM »
This is NOT aimed at Kattoelox, since I said I wasn't talking to him anymore in this thread, but...  :lol   ...man!  Phil's singer was MADE to sing Mistreated.  Their cover is the best version I have ever heard by a HUGE margin.  And Down in the Delta is a pretty fun track too. 

If Joe released a DVD of this G3 tour, it is an automatic purchase from me. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2018, 03:55:50 PM »
 :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »
It's just hard to digest that you'll be there and have a ticket, but not even try to see the show. 

Damn, this.  If you are spending the money and making the effort to be there, might as well check some of it out, especially the music you are buying  :lol  To each their own

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »

PM sent.

Damn. Sucks that you won't be going. Hope everything is ok on your end.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2018, 05:48:57 PM »
It's just hard to digest that you'll be there and have a ticket, but not even try to see the show. 

Damn, this.  If you are spending the money and making the effort to be there, might as well check some of it out, especially the music you are buying  :lol  To each their own

I collect CDs, that is the main draw, I've tried explaining this  :rollin I will in all likelihood check out JP's set, realistically, as it is a 2 hour drive

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2018, 05:53:10 PM »
We're talking about the CD of Suspended Animation? Or am I way off base?

You can find that on e-bay.

Hell, I probably have a copy I can send you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »
We're talking about the CD of Suspended Animation? Or am I way off base?

You can find that on e-bay.

Hell, I probably have a copy I can send you.

I just checked ebay and discogs and all the reasonably priced ones are from, you guessed it, the Russian Federation. Noooope. Not paying for bootlegs. Not chancing it. Everything else is stupidly expensive. $90+. Now one can argue it's the same price as buying a ticket and getting the CD and leaving, but shut up, I'm at least going to watch JP  :lol

Now, if you do have a copy to send me, DO IT! But someone already asked me to pick up a copy for them too, so here we are. This is happening. Ya'll can make fun of me after I come back and Phil Collen played a 20 minute Stevie Ray Vaughn impression entirely with his face and I missed it.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
My recommendation, and you can take it or leave it:  Get there at the start of the show.  Have a drink out in the lobby.  When Phil gets a few songs in and the songs with vocals kick in, if you like what you are hearing, go in and check it out.  If not, stay at the bar and read DTF on your phone.  Then go in and check out JP's set.  Then come back and hang out at the bar during Joe's set.  Go back in for the encore jam.  Thank me/profit.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2018, 06:08:16 PM »
You forgot the part where I send you a bunch of PMs complaining about Collen ruining my drinking time with his noise.  :lol No, that's a good idea, I just can't have too many drinks since I'm going alone! Moderation, moderation...

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »

PM sent.

Damn. Sucks that you won't be going. Hope everything is ok on your end.

Yeah, sad that I'm not going (especially since I had splurged for a nice ticket), but it's for a good reason. What started as my aunt and uncle coming up to visit for the weekend from North Carolina has spontaneously turned into a full on family reunion at our house Sunday night. Should be 20 people here.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2018, 06:12:06 PM »
You forgot the part where I send you a bunch of PMs complaining about Collen ruining my drinking time with his noise.  :lol No, that's a good idea, I just can't have too many drinks since I'm going alone! Moderation, moderation...

:lol  I can accept that.  During Joe's set, go for caffeine rather than alcohol.  It'll help you stay awake.  But you won't have that problem once he gets to the encore jam. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2018, 08:12:22 PM »
Bosk is full of wisdom on this page, Firewings.  Wisdom you may even have heard before...   Go see JP, and have fun.  Phil Collen wasn't my cup of tea, but you might like it, so it couldn't hurt to get there in time, buy the last copy of Suspended Animation, see what you think. 

Satriani was good.  I'll confess to being a little bored at times during his set (whereas with JP it felt like I blinked and then it was over), but for the most part it was still a good set and I'm glad I caught it. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2018, 07:41:47 AM »
Not you too! Sigh.  :lol I won't repeat myself...