Author Topic: 33 1/3 RPM instrumentals  (Read 2509 times)

Offline dparrott

33 1/3 RPM instrumentals
« on: December 26, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »
I had an idea to simulate their instrumentals reduced from 45RPM to 33 1/3 RPM.  I tried Ytse Jam as a test, sounds killer.

https://instaud.io/1A3Q
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: 33 1/3 RPM instrumentals
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
MOAR PLEEZE
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
Yea I was going to try Overture 1928 and TDOE

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »
Wow, that was a good listen, even at normal human speed.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:59:17 AM »
Like most fogies around here, I grew up with a turntable and vinyl, and turntables always had at least 45 RPM and 33 1/3 RPM.  Most also had 78 RPM, and my first one even had 16 RPM as well.  I have never seen a record meant to be played at 16 RPM, but apparently they existed at some point.

Anyway, sometimes it was fun to play records at the wrong speed on purpose, just to hear.  LPs at 45 were coked out, and singles at 33.3 were on 'ludes.  78 was insanely fun, regardless.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
These are a little higher than 33 1/3 because they sounded better.
Overture 1928 https://instaud.io/1A7B
TDOE https://instaud.io/1A7E

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »
I was ready for Dio to start singing. Ytsejam sounds tight as Hell.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Runei

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »
Sounds perfect for guitar practice  :metal

But it would probably sound awful with pitch correction, so I guess I'll just tune way lower.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 08:30:24 PM »
I love how these sound! The slower tempo takes some getting used to, but there's this...warmth? I guess? to them that the originals don't have. Like, the timbre of everything sounds so nice here. Kind of curious how Enigma Machine or False Awakening Suite would sound with this. Great work!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »
RAW DOG please!?!?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 06:02:23 PM »
I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I would love to hear Stream of Consciousness like this.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 03:44:09 AM »
I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I would love to hear Stream of Consciousness like this.

:tup
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »
Sounds perfect for guitar practice  :metal

But it would probably sound awful with pitch correction, so I guess I'll just tune way lower.

That's actually how I learned most solos in my life. You bring it down by a factor of two, so all the notes are just an octave lower.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »
Enigma Machine: https://instaud.io/1Bjb
Raw Dog: https://instaud.io/1Bjd
SOC: https://instaud.io/1Bje  Very sad sounding intro. 

Raw Dog and SOC sound a bit like Metallica speed haha.  SOC sounds a bit like Korn in parts.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 10:00:53 PM »
SoC is awesome, love the ending. It sounds like an awesome Metallica ballad.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »
Raw Dog: Intro riff sounds like it was ripped straight out of a Meshuggah album. The piece sounds so much heavier. It sounds so much better like this imo.

Enigma Machine: Man, that guitar entrance is one of the frickin' heaviest things I've ever heard. The slow section in the middle also sounds incredible like this, it really brings out a lot of the emotion in the piece. There are some moments that don't quite work as well, but it sounds really cool.

Stream of Consciousness: The first two minutes reminds me of Agalloch with synthesizers, haha. Just need to add some Acoustic strumming and growled vocals and it'd be perfect. The middle section (after the solos) sounds like modern Alice in Chains, and the outro sounds like Metallica.

It's really cool how this brings out some of the nuances and influences a bit more clearly than on the album versions. There were bits in Enigma Machine that when I heard it I thought "oh that sounds a lot like Rush" or "that sounds almost classical". It also highlights JR's keyboard part in that slow section I mentioned earlier. Stream of Consciousness too, I noticed a lot of little details that just speed by on the album recording. Having it slowed down makes it a lot easier to pick out all the layers and nuances which is super cool!

The kick always sounds sloppy when it's slowed down though. Weird side-effect.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 11:20:18 AM »
EM's keyboard intro sounds even creepier slowed down! I expect something to jump out and attack me! haha

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »
Stream of Consciousness had Crowbar vibes at certain points. Easily my favorite of these so far. I guess Erotomania and Hell's Kitchen are next?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 10:38:33 PM »
What about Eve, I bet it'd sound nice.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »
dparrott...THANKS for these.  I couldn't listen to all of them at work but will do so later.

Like most fogies around here, I grew up with a turntable and vinyl, and turntables always had at least 45 RPM and 33 1/3 RPM.  Most also had 78 RPM, and my first one even had 16 RPM as well.  I have never seen a record meant to be played at 16 RPM, but apparently they existed at some point.

Anyway, sometimes it was fun to play records at the wrong speed on purpose, just to hear.  LPs at 45 were coked out, and singles at 33.3 were on 'ludes.  78 was insanely fun, regardless.

When I was a kid, we had a console stereo (AM/FM radio and a turntable).  The turntable had 16, 33, 45 and 78 (technically, it's 16 2/3 - i.e., exactly half of the 33 1/3).  The primary market for 16 RPM records was books for the blind, but it was also used in a system for use in Chrysler automobiles.  Needless to say, it wasn't a successful system.

I never found the 16 and 78 settings to be much fun, but playing 33s on the 45 setting and vice versa was pretty cool sometimes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 8GRND

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 11:37:52 PM »
Is anyone know what application that's used to do that?  ??? ??? ???
"Don't bully me, I'm just in "Wenger stay" side." - 8GRND

Offline dparrott

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »
I just used the Change Speed function in the software Audacity.  It even has a 45 -> 33 setting.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 03:14:01 PM »
Enigma Machine is one of my fav DT songs and that sounded totally awesome.  I am surprised at how quickly I settled into it once it got going.