Author Topic: DT "reaction" videos  (Read 4154 times)

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
DT "reaction" videos
« on: December 20, 2017, 11:02:47 PM »
I'm not sure how many of have you seen these videos by a guy a youtube named "YouYouYou!".  Videos of him reacting to different metal albums, and recently he's been on a DT marathon.  He seemed to really dig SDOIT, which garnered the attention of MP.  What's irritating to me is that while I don't expect everyone to be a fan of every album, song, or DT itself, I do expect people who do reactions, aka on the fly reviews, to actually give the album a fair shake.  This dude seems to jump around within songs often skipping over really interesting parts.  An example of this would be him missing the entire solo at the end of Best of Times, which, if you ask me, is one of the best solos in the DT catalogue.

Now he's gotten into the MM-era of DT, and he's not even giving a minutes worth of a reaction.  Rather irritating.

Here's his SDOIT video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-NXwSLFZfM

Perhaps I'm more irritated that there's all this good music that isn't getting a fair shake just because someone can't take the time to actually listen to an entire album without skipping around.  I think I'm just over thinking this whole thing.  It's late and I need sleep.

EDIT:  Just to clarify again, I'm expecting or even wanting everyone to get every song from every album by DT.  That's unrealistic.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT "reaction" videos
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »
I'm not sure why I should care if his opinions match mine or not.  One of his videos came up as a suggestion the other day while I was browsing youtube and watched the Awake video.  He seemed into it which is cool, but I can't say I really care about his opinion.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
If you're getting irritated by how some random person on YouTube reacts to a song, then you probably have very few concerns in the world and should consider yourself fortunate.  If you find this guy irritating, then don't watch his videos.  It's just that simple.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Evai

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
I find it odd how he instantly dislikes the MM era albums enough to not give them a proper reaction. They're not THAT far off from the previous albums in terms of quality. Combine that with the fact that he kept saying 'Best drummer in the world! Who is this guy??', and Portnoy leaving an approving comment, seems a bit disingenuous.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »
I don't mean to be rude or harsh, but I just find reaction videos in general lame
And she listens openly

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 02:07:09 PM »
I don't mean to be rude or harsh, but I just find reaction videos in general lame
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evai

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »

It's for people who wanna share their music with friends but they don't have friends. Also people don't really 'listen to music' together any more as an activity, so reaction videos kind of fill that hole. I guess people just don't have the time for music anymore
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »

I don't care for them much either but this one of Youtubers reacting to BabyMetal is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeARpcDimx4

:omg:  :omg:  :omg:  :omg:  :omg:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 08:45:26 PM »

Especially reaction videos where the dude is clearly at work and is hoping people don't realize he isn't actually working. 

OK, so I am thinking way more about this than I am comfortable admitting (about 20 seconds worth of thought) but every reaction video of his is in a car, he's hooting and hollering, and then post-MP DT albums are at work where he is whispering, doesn't play any of the music or comment on anything.  Not fishy at all.   :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 09:42:33 PM »
If you find this guy irritating, then don't watch his videos.

good argument, gg
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 09:59:44 PM »
I'm not sure what the point is to these reaction videos when it comes to music. First time I ever heard of a reaction video was when THAT infamous gross-out NSFW scene was going around on the Internetz. I never watched any of those reaction videos but I could understand why they could be entertaining. But when it comes to music, I'll pass.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 08:25:57 PM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 10:00:49 PM »

Yeah, just seems like people trying to make money on youtube vids if you ask me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 10:02:47 PM »

Yeah, just seems like people trying to make money on youtube vids if you ask me.

What money?  From what I've heard nowadays, Youtube has made it pretty darn harder for people to make money through their videos with the way they structured their "trigger" to demonetize a video.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 10:47:48 PM »
I'm glad my late night post sparked some sort of conversation - haha!  I couldn't care less about this dude's opinion, I just have a hard time understanding how someone can call SFAM boring.  I suppose that's the difference between me and him. Oh well!  :lol
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 03:10:21 AM »
The inherent bias with reaction videos is that you know you're being filmed, and even subconsciously you act accordingly so. It's not that one changes completely attitude, but knowing that you're being filmed is enough to not make it completely and totally natural. Anyway, I wish sometimes band would see the genuine smile on my face the first time I hear a song and it's instant love.

One thing I remember once I did a written reaction post - As I was listening an album for the first time, I quickly wrote on Notepad my reactions on the fly, to have something to go back later when after many listenings the knowledge of the album was complete.

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 08:14:12 AM »

Especially reaction videos where the dude is clearly at work and is hoping people don't realize he isn't actually working. 

OK, so I am thinking way more about this than I am comfortable admitting (about 20 seconds worth of thought) but every reaction video of his is in a car, he's hooting and hollering, and then post-MP DT albums are at work where he is whispering, doesn't play any of the music or comment on anything.  Not fishy at all.   :lol
Those videos are really odd. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »
I found this guy when he was reacting to PANTERA and thought it was great. I've watched a couple reaction video's and they are just silly fun. This guy is one of the better ones out there but I do agree that I don't find it coincidental the level of interest and venue change for the post MP albums changed dramatically after MP personally commented on his reaction vid to Six Degrees. But whatevs'.....still entertaining for me to a point.....

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
The newest stupid internet trend. It is more about showing off your controlled reactions to impress the watchers than about your real reaction. And I don't know why would someone bother to show other people their reactions unless DESPERATELY in need of attention. Of course their reactions are NOT natural for they know they are filming and people will watch, so it can't be natural. It is an act, nothing more. Pure theater. "Look how cool I look when I listen to this song."

It is sad that people resort to that to get attention.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
I think it’s all in good fun, reaction videos in general, but these ones got weird with the last three. The funny thing is, he didn’t like a majority of the albums, MP produced albums included. But he loved Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and that’s when MP commented and the guy didn’t like any of the albums after that. Weird.... He really only liked Images, Awake, and SDOIT.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »
I think it’s all in good fun, reaction videos in general, but these ones got weird with the last three. The funny thing is, he didn’t like a majority of the albums, MP produced albums included. But he loved Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and that’s when MP commented and the guy didn’t like any of the albums after that. Weird.... He really only liked Images, Awake, and SDOIT.

He really liked Train of Thought also.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »

It's the dumbest thing the internet has ever spawned, truly.
I think it's the internet equivalent to reality shows, you know they're acting cause there's a camera and they're recording something that needs to be entertaining.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »
Yeah this guy's reactions are weird.  I think he means well, but I truly don't think his mind is made for metal.  Some people just have that metal "spark" so to speak, and it doesn't seem like he has it.  I highly doubt that he will ever listen to Six Degrees ever again, even though he said it was "the greatest album" he has ever heard.

A great reaction channel is Lost in Vegas...two guys who are into rap and hip hop and finally gave metal a chance.  They really break down, dissect the music, and give their thoughts on the song as a whole.  They're great.  When they hate a song, they say so, but their thoughts are very insightful, they put a lot of effort into their reaction videos.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »

It's probably one of the biggest examples of sturgeon's law on YouTube. A lot of them are really bad, and give no new perspective on the music. It's just an endless stream of "wow this is great" "so and so is killing it" "this is jammin" "ooh yeah" etc. etc., and there's no nuance or any sort of deep thought present in it. There's a few good ones (Lost in Vegas and Fine Bros immediately spring to mind) which either have higher production value and more variety in content and reactors (Fine Bros) or a new perspective and thoughtful commentary that you wouldn't see often (Lost in Vegas). It's the same with reviewers honestly, and there's both good and bad ones. There's ones (you'll see a lot on sites like rateyourmusic) that don't really explain themselves well and thoughtfully, just follow trends, are close-minded and don't fairly evaluate things, and just use music to make themselves look smarter. Then there's ones that CAN explain themselves thoughtfully, express themselves honestly, and are open minded and evaluate music fairly. I may disagree with their opinion and conclusion, but they explain their reasoning well so I can appreciate and respect their opinion. A good reaction video should skirt the edge of being a review.

That said, this guy is definitely the former. I watched the SFaM and the DT12 and Astonishing reactions and I feel like I wasted 10 minutes of my life. I don't feel like I got a new perspective on the music, and I don't feel like he evaluated the last three albums fairly at all. A lot of his descriptions in the SFaM video were a little on the vague side, and his thoughts seemed to just scratch the surface without digging any deeper. Plus, when the music was playing, he was giving no real-time reactions (which kind of defeats the purpose) and it was really uninteresting to watch.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
A great reaction channel is Lost in Vegas...two guys who are into rap and hip hop and finally gave metal a chance.  They really break down, dissect the music, and give their thoughts on the song as a whole.  They're great.  When they hate a song, they say so, but their thoughts are very insightful, they put a lot of effort into their reaction videos.
The Lost in Vegas guys are great. They just did a Mastodon video, although no clue why people voted Blood and Thunder as the song to represent Mastodon
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Evai

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 03:16:44 PM »
I really liked when they reacted to Holy Wars. I don't need to watch any other reaction videos now  :lol

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »
The Lost in Vegas guys are great. They just did a Mastodon video, although no clue why people voted Blood and Thunder as the song to represent Mastodon
Yeah Blood and Thunder isn't the best choice.  I'm not the biggest Mastadon buff, so I haven't heard too many of their songs, but from what I have heard, I think The High Road would have been a good choice.  Awesome riffs and it's got a great groove.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »
Yeah, I agree that Blood and Thunder was probably not the best choice. I would've gone with Curl of the Burl, Oblivion (the runner-up in the Twitter poll they did), or The High Road. Those Twitter polls they do always seem to pick the worst songs to introduce a person to the band with :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »
The Lost In Vegas guys are great! I've been watching their video lately. Very insightful dudes who've gotten shout outs from artists like Dave Mustaine and Gojira!

Their Jinjer reaction is absolutely hilarious, especially around the 3:45 mark  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFlm8rIFzqA&t=519s
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:59:54 PM by Accelerando »

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
One more kudos for Lost In Vegas. They really respectfully pay attention and comment throughout the song. I love that they really liked YYZ. Never heard Michael Jackson and the Two-Step mentioned in the same sentence as YYZ.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
One more kudos for Lost In Vegas. They really respectfully pay attention and comment throughout the song. I love that they really liked YYZ. Never heard Michael Jackson and the Two-Step mentioned in the same sentence as YYZ.

Totally agree.  While I watched this one, I was thinking about how many times I've listened to YYZ over the years and never once would I've put Michael Jackson in there - haha!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
Lost in Vegas are really good. I like the fact they do more than just 'react' to hearing the songs.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »
...why would someone bother to show other people their reactions unless DESPERATELY in need of attention.

You must be new to Youtube. You just answered your own question as to why 98% of videos exist on Youtube. I've never watched a "reaction video" and I probably never will. I didn't even realize such a thing existed. That being said, I watch my own fair share of pointless crap on YT by people who desperately need attention and I wouldn't do so if I wasn't entertained.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 02:10:17 PM »
I watched the whole 'SDoIT' video. It was so fun to watch! It reminded me of similar reactions I had when listening to the album for the first time in 2006.

I also watched his reactions for the last 3. What an idiot.

By the way, when he ranks the discography, he says that 'I&W' is the first album by the band on Spotify. That means no 'WD&DU'? And all this time I've been listening to people say how cool it is that you can find all recorded music in the world on Spotify.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 03:17:07 AM »
Yes, but can you prove they're acting for the cameras? Thought not.

A first-time reaction will be the same whether there's a camera on you or not, surely. We should be happy for those who react excitedly to DT; new fans joining the DT train is never a bad thing. Instead, it seems like some are taking the cynical, unwelcoming approach, and that's a shame.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 03:56:48 AM »
Yes, but can you prove they're acting for the cameras? Thought not.

The sole fact that you know you're being filmed means you're "acting" to a degree. Ever had a friend pointing a camera at you at a party or a social event? instinctively you know you have an "audience" and you're not 100% spontaneous.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!