Author Topic: How fast of Internet do I Really Need?  (Read 793 times)

Offline kaos2900

How fast of Internet do I Really Need?
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:45:16 AM »
I just got a rate increase for my internet bill so I'm shopping again. My current provider is offering 300mbps for $84.99 per month though I'd need to upgrade my modem. Or there is a lower tier at 100mbps for $67.99. I've never had great service at my house so I doubt I'm even able to utilize either of those speeds though we plan on moving in the next 4 months so I'm wondering if it's better to lock in the 300mbps or if that is a waste of money. We stream movies and tv shows and download xbox games. That's pretty much all we use it for. Suggestions?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: How fast of Internet do I Really Need?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:58:58 AM »
I have 75mbps from Comcast, which allows me to stream from two Roku's at once, plus have two phones and a computer or two, plus a wireless printer connected at all times.  I think HD streaming video requires is about 5-10 mbps.  The only thing a faster speed would help me with would be actual downloading of content to a computer. 

Speed tests show that I get about 25-30mbps via Wi-Fi.  Very rarely do I have any buffering problems, and if I do, it's on big days when everyone streams video (large sporting events, awards shows, etc.). 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »
I'm going to go down to the 100mbps. That should be plenty fast. Plus I'm going to upgrade my modem which shouldn't hurt things.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »
Geez I have like 25Mbps and haven't once considered my speed too slow or had any issues.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
Just because you have fast access to the internet doesn't mean the server you're getting the data from can feed it to you that fast either. From a certain speed on somebody else down the line will then be the bottleneck.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »
Shopping online for internet is such a pain in the ass. Right off the bat they hit you with the Package deal, which I don't need at all. Then when you finally find the plans, of course its got the * symbol with the fine print at the bottom price for first time customers, only for one year, so the price is gonna jack up after then. And no where is it written what they new price is gonna be... Ugh

And Comcast is asking me if I want to lease a modem for 11 dollars a month (indefinitely) LOL.  At least Verizon lets me buy the damn thing outright.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:02:05 AM by Phoenix87x »