Author Topic: MIDWAY..... 2019  (Read 2314 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
MIDWAY..... 2019
« on: November 08, 2019, 05:46:02 PM »
I was really leary about this movie.  I was so afraid they would do a "Pearl Harbor pt. 2".  Also, we KNEW the CGI would be over the top, it's kind of unavoidable given the subject matter and the lack of period ships and aircraft  Last night I read some reviews as they came in.  It kinda boiled down to the "Critics" vs  "Regular folks".  The critics were giving it anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 outta 5 stars.  The Peeps were giving it a majority 4 to 5 stars.  Just for reference...I am an older guy, who went to see the 1976 version in "Surround" sound!  Also, I was in the Navy, and I'm a big naval history/WW2 buff.  This all being said, I think the movie was VERY good!  They didn't fall into the "Pearl Harbor" trap, and the period authenticity and accuracy was pretty damn solid.  CGI only bothered me in one short sequence out of a TON of action footage.  The acting was solid as far as what I know of the "Mentality" of the time from movies, film reels and documentaries. I could see where some might find some of the acting over the top, but I thought it was fine.   I would recommend it to the older folks definitely, and to the younger for a good history lesson.  Overall entertaining and a solid 4.5 outta 5 stars.  DEFINITELY the best WW2 Pacific movie I've seen.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: MIDWAY..... 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 05:15:44 AM »
I was on the fence about seeing this one given the critic reviews. I thought it looked pretty cool from the trailers. I'll probably try and see this at some point.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 07:45:44 AM »
Yeah, the critics were harsh, but hell, they're harsh about a lot of movies that are some of my favs!  I went by the viewers reviews on rotten tomatoes, which like I said were pretty good!  If they wouldn't have I would have waited for the BluRay.  I'm so glad I didn't!  My Brother in law also went yesterday and saw it in 4DX and said the 4DX was fantastic.  The wife, who I didn't think would be into it, says she wants to go.  So we will go see it in 4DX on Monday!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:01:09 PM »
I was really leary about this movie.  I was so afraid they would do a "Pearl Harbor pt. 2".  Also, we KNEW the CGI would be over the top, it's kind of unavoidable given the subject matter and the lack of period ships and aircraft  Last night I read some reviews as they came in.  It kinda boiled down to the "Critics" vs  "Regular folks".  The critics were giving it anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 outta 5 stars.  The Peeps were giving it a majority 4 to 5 stars.  Just for reference...I am an older guy, who went to see the 1976 version in "Surround" sound!  Also, I was in the Navy, and I'm a big naval history/WW2 buff.  This all being said, I think the movie was VERY good!  They didn't fall into the "Pearl Harbor" trap, and the period authenticity and accuracy was pretty damn solid.  CGI only bothered me in one short sequence out of a TON of action footage.  The acting was solid as far as what I know of the "Mentality" of the time from movies, film reels and documentaries. I could see where some might find some of the acting over the top, but I thought it was fine.   I would recommend it to the older folks definitely, and to the younger for a good history lesson.  Overall entertaining and a solid 4.5 outta 5 stars.  DEFINITELY the best WW2 Pacific movie I've seen.
Would a person who already knows an awful lot about the battle enjoy it, or would it seem too superficial? Did in include any of Leyte Gulf, which kind of set up the whole thing? Did Roquefort get his due? He was the unsung hero.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 10:39:58 PM »
Would a person who already knows an awful lot about the battle enjoy it, or would it seem too superficial? Did in include any of Leyte Gulf, which kind of set up the whole thing? Did Roquefort get his due? He was the unsung hero.
Roquefort definitely got his props!  Leyte gulf?  Not sure what you're referring to.  The "Battle of Leyte Gulf" was fought in 1944 two years after the mid '42 campaigns.  The invasion of Luzon happened on 12/8/41 and lasted for a couple months.  The flow of the movie from '41 to mid '42 is well represented in the film.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 10:57:59 PM »
Roquefort definitely got his props!  Leyte gulf?  Not sure what you're referring to.  The "Battle of Leyte Gulf" was fought in 1944 two years after the mid '42 campaigns.  The invasion of Luzon happened on 12/8/41 and lasted for a couple months.  The flow of the movie from '41 to mid '42 is well represented in the film.
Coral Sea. Sorry. Quite important going into Midway, as you know. But if 41 to 42 is well represented then I suppose it's is, as well. That was part of my concern. If it covers the preceding six to twelve months then it sounds like more than just a set piece.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 08:26:39 AM »
Coral Sea. Sorry. Quite important going into Midway, as you know. But if 41 to 42 is well represented then I suppose it's is, as well. That was part of my concern. If it covers the preceding six to twelve months then it sounds like more than just a set piece.
  Yeah, they did a really good job covering Pre-war, Pearl Harbor, Doolittle Raid, Coral Sea, then focused on Midway of course.  I was afraid seeing the previews that they might focus on Pearl Harbor at the expense of Midway.  Thankfully that wasn't the case.