Dream Theater > Dream Theater

CC Rock Interview with James LaBrie

(1/6) > >>

erwinrafael:
Haven't seen this posted in any of the threads (pardon me if it was already discussed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nta4ZknXESI

Nice interview. Three points that really stuck with me:

- Dream Theater records all their shows including the soundchecks. I did not know that.
- The primary songwriters have always been Petrucci + the keyboard player
- I love seeing how James really still loves what he's doing. That part about doing things primarily for the money as the slippery slope to the end struck the right chord.

He's also quite funny.  :lol

noxon:
Well, DT soundchecks generally are quite boring. They're never full band, and its usually just one song they play through (the opener), and most of the time its not even the full song. As for the fact that everything is recorded - I thought that was well known by now. They've ALWAYS recorded everything. This fact saved the Fan Club DVD back in 2005 - cause the stereo mix we got from the soundboard at the time was just not good quality. And theres been a BUNCH of awesome bootlegs (official and unofficial), fan club cds etc that have been sourced from these recordings.

The most important CHANGE over the years have probably been in the ability to record everything on the fly as multitracks. It used to be that you needed a bus to do specific multitrack recording, nowadays its all digital and directly put into protools on the fly. Meaning they have everything recorded discreetly for posterity.

And while the idea of Petrucci and the keyboard player being the main writers isn't wrong per se, I do feel it's kinda trying to remove MP from the equation. There's absolutely NO doubt that MP contributed to the song writing - I myself have heard proofs through voice mail recordings of him humming riffs as a "note" to himself. And its caught on several of the behind the scenes footages on how he did contribute strongly to arrangements and such.

erwinrafael:
S they really have lots of live audio in their vault? Sorry, I did not know that, being in a Third World country and all.  :lol

The Presence of Frenemies:

--- Quote from: noxon on December 14, 2017, 01:52:39 AM ---And while the idea of Petrucci and the keyboard player being the main writers isn't wrong per se, I do feel it's kinda trying to remove MP from the equation. There's absolutely NO doubt that MP contributed to the song writing - I myself have heard proofs through voice mail recordings of him humming riffs as a "note" to himself. And its caught on several of the behind the scenes footages on how he did contribute strongly to arrangements and such.

--- End quote ---

I feel it's the classic case of "the truth is somewhere in between." On one side you have MP going on about how he was the driving force, DT was his baby, etc. and so the natural response is "well, actually, here's all the stuff you didn't do." The idea that JP/JR were 100% responsible for music and MP only arranged is wrong, and so is the idea that MP's contributions dwarfed those of others. And each side is going to highlight the aspects they subjectively think are being lessened/ignored.

Fritzinger:
Does anyone think that it was weird they used a Neal Morse song (with MP on it) as opening for a DT centered interview?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version