Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248123 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #665 on: April 26, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »
By the way, what prompted my post was an article in my newsfeed yesterday titled "Fully Shaved Chewbacca Is The Most Horrifying Thing Ever."  :lol

There are many things on the Internet that I would not even considering clicking.  This is one of them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #666 on: April 26, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »
:lol  Same here.  But I found the title quite amusing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #667 on: May 04, 2018, 03:42:59 AM »
May the Fourth be with you  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #668 on: May 04, 2018, 03:59:32 AM »
By the way, what prompted my post was an article in my newsfeed yesterday titled "Fully Shaved Chewbacca Is The Most Horrifying Thing Ever."  :lol

There are many things on the Internet that I would not even considering clicking.  This is one of them.

Turns out that it was actually a picture of my ex mother in law. She's been letting herself go, lately.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #669 on: May 04, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
May the Fourth be with you  :tup

And to you as well! I think it's been a weird six months for Star Wars fans, but at the end of the day, I will always cherish my once-a-year marathon of the original trilogy. It allows for me to reconnect with my childhood in a way that is hard to replicate elsewhere. And also... Lightsabers. They're pretty cool.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #670 on: May 11, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
First reactions to Solo are rather positive so far!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #671 on: May 11, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »
First reactions to Solo are rather positive so far!

Indeed! Minus the first act, which I've read (in most reviews) is not great, but that it picks up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #672 on: May 24, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
Anyone else going to see ‘Solo’ tonight? I’m taking the kiddos to an 8:30 show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #673 on: May 24, 2018, 12:10:21 PM »
Saw it last night. Agree the beginning is slow but it picks up. It is what it is, nothing great but not horrible.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #674 on: May 24, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
When people say the first half is slow is that bad thing? Sometimes I actually like character development which some people consider slow. Or is it slow as in boring/poorly paced?

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #675 on: May 24, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »
kind of a mix of all that .for me it just dragged.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #676 on: May 24, 2018, 12:34:58 PM »
I'm going Saturday evening with my kids.  The wife took a pass.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #677 on: May 24, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »
jingle.son saw it with friends and just got in.  Said it was just a smidge above 'ok'.  I'll probably go see it Tuesday, jingle.son isn't sure he wants/needs to see it a 2nd time.  So I might be going .... wait for it ....

Solo.  :neverusethis
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: May 24, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »
Just got back, I thought it was good. It was fun and entertaining. Kids loved it and I bought that was a young Han and young Lando.

It didn’t redefine anything by any means nor did it stand out as some ‘all time great’ but I’d see it again.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #679 on: May 25, 2018, 05:16:25 AM »
I liked it as well. Definitely the worst of the four Disney Star Wars films, but it was still good. I went in with low expectations and it exceeded those. If it does we'll financially I fully expect a Han Solo Trilogy.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #680 on: May 25, 2018, 06:44:17 AM »
I've heard mostly positive things. Though it will be awhile before I get to see it.

Sounds like there will be an Obi-Wan movie that takes place before Episode 4 and Bobba Fett movie. I'm hoping Disney has the balls to make a rated R Bobba Fett movie that is dark and gritty.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: May 25, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »
I'm curious as to how the re-introduction of Darth Maul will incorporate into future films....if it does at all. Or if it was just thrown in there to make sure a SW film had a light saber fire up? He had his metal legs so this film took place some time after Clone Wars.....and obviously prior to ANH. Could he be used in the Obi Wan spin off or if they do a Boba Fett one?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: May 25, 2018, 07:41:11 AM »

HOLY FUCK! The one time I read a spoiler on this forum!

I've got to see this movie now.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #683 on: May 25, 2018, 08:01:14 AM »
I read the full plot summary this morning, since making it to a theater is pretty much impossible for me now.  It seems like everything I'd want from a story about Han Solo.  I'm looking forward to renting it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: May 25, 2018, 08:12:39 AM »

Aww man....sorry. I was hoping the small font wouldn't be too enticing. However, I don't think that will ruin the film for you as what I eluded to is a very small....yet cool....part of the film.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: May 25, 2018, 08:15:41 AM »

Aww man....sorry. I was hoping the small font wouldn't be too enticing. However, I don't think that will ruin the film for you as what I eluded to is a very small....yet cool....part of the film.

No need to apologize. I know what small font means, and 99 out of 100 times I scroll right past it... but I said to myself "There's nothing happening in Solo that I would be pissed about it being spoiled".  That'll teach me!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: May 25, 2018, 08:16:55 AM »
I read the full plot summary this morning, since making it to a theater is pretty much impossible for me now.  It seems like everything I'd want from a story about Han Solo.  I'm looking forward to renting it.

My 10 year old said it was his favorite SW film that he's seen recently......as far as R1 and TLJ. He really liked it.

I think the 'lowered expectations' and lack of massive hype and over thought fan theories really helps this film just be a good....fun, movie. Alden Ehrenreich did a pretty good job of portraying Han Solo. He was believable and that was my largest concern going in but I think he got it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #687 on: May 25, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »
I thought Ehrenreich did a pretty good job. I totally bought him as a younger Han who is still building up that confidence and swagger he has in ANH.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #688 on: May 25, 2018, 11:51:27 AM »
Agreed. Ehrenreich was an excellent young Han. However, it took a moment for me to get settled with him as Han.

With Donald Glover as Lando, that wasn’t the case. He hit the ground running the moment he’s on screen!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: May 25, 2018, 12:03:35 PM »
Agreed. Ehrenreich was an excellent young Han. However, it took a moment for me to get settled with him as Han.

With Donald Glover as Lando, that wasn’t the case. He hit the ground running the moment he’s on screen!

Agreed. After Ehrenreich nailed a couple mannerisms once he met up with Emily Clark it started to settle in.

But with Glover as Lando.....even before we see him as you hear his voice it sounded like Billy Dee Williams...same tone....same dialect mannerisms. It was uncanny.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #690 on: May 25, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
I’ll most likely be going to see it tomorrow night with the kids. I think “lowered expectations” is the key for me. I’m not expecting to be blown away, but if it’s a good fun adventure  then that’s a result.

No spoilers, but for those who have seen it, do you think there’s enough scope for more movies with the same cast? I read that Ehrenreich has signed on for 3 movies, but maybe that’s just standard practice these days.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: May 25, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »
No spoilers, but for those who have seen it, do you think there’s enough scope for more movies with the same cast? I read that Ehrenreich has signed on for 3 movies, but maybe that’s just standard practice these days.

I would say 'yes'.....merely because unlike 'Rouge One' and the main series......this movie really didn't have anything that impacted the 'main' storyline of what we know of the SW universe other than revealing how Han and Chewie met....and how they obtained the Falcon (which we already knew)  It really was just a 'run of the mill' action/adventure movie and it worked. They did a good enough job with the injection of a character or two to where they could explore some particular loose ends should they choose....but it's not mandatory IMO.

I could see a future 'Solo' movie or two where you're just seeing Han and Chewie as they build their legacy so to speak.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #692 on: May 25, 2018, 04:29:03 PM »

No kidding! I was barely interested in this movie, but reading that DEFINITELY piqued my interest. I probably still won't see it in theaters, but I'll definitely get it rent it comes out on DVD/steaming now.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #693 on: May 26, 2018, 04:49:04 PM »
I took the kids to see it tonight. Yeah, pretty good, once it gets going. The first 15 mins or so are a bit clunky, especially the dialogue, but it settles down.

Characters were decent - Beckett, Qira and Dryden Vos (sp. ?) served their purposes and were given enough to do. Donald Glover was great as Lando, I just wish we had’ve seen a bit more of him.

Han and Chewie’s introduction worked well, and the dynamic between was good. Fair play to Alden Ehrenreich - I definitely don’t think he has the charm and charisma of Harrison Ford (who does?), but he did a decent job with the character.

Oh, and *that* cameo. I’m glad I didn’t read the tiny letters further up this thread. Initially, I’m not really sure it was a good idea, but I’ll take some time to process it.

All things considered, not wonderful, but decent, and definitely not the train wreck it could have been.

And to answer my own question from before: yes, I think there’s enough to build on for another movie or two.

Online Skeever

« Reply #694 on: May 26, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
I've more or less "liked" all the Star Wars movies to date (yes, ALL), but this was the first that just completely underwhelmed.

I just felt nothing, at the end. No joy, no curiosity, no sadness, nothing at all. Feels like so much great lore was squandered on a movie where the filming just got out of control. They should have pushed it back, because it wasn't ready, and they wasted a lot of potential as well as a great cast on a below average movie.

10/10s
ESB
ANH

8 or 9/10s
TLJ
ROTJ
TFA

7/10s
ROTS
RO

6/10s
TPM

5/10s
AOTC

4/10s
SOLO

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #695 on: May 26, 2018, 11:39:43 PM »
I've more or less "liked" all the Star Wars movies to date (yes, ALL), but this was the first that just completely underwhelmed.
You seem to be in the minority. 7.1 on imdb, 71% on rottentomatoes, and everyone I've talked to/seen it with loves it so far. I liked it better than Rogue One, Last Jedi, and all the prequels.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #696 on: May 27, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »
So it sounds like Solo is not doing particularly well at the box office despite decent reviews and pretty much everyone I've heard thinking it was good. I'll be curious how this plays out for future Solo sequels, which were clearly planned.

Online Skeever

« Reply #697 on: May 27, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
You seem to be in the minority. 7.1 on imdb, 71% on rottentomatoes, and everyone I've talked to/seen it with loves it so far. I liked it better than Rogue One, Last Jedi, and all the prequels.

The audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is 58% so...

It seems just as divisive as the Last Jedi without the insane critical praise TLJ got.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #698 on: May 27, 2018, 11:23:47 AM »
Saw Solo today, it was pretty much what I expected!

It was fun! Ehrenreich did to Han Solo, pretty much exactly what Chris Pine did to Kirk, he was good. Glover was fantastic just as I expected!

The much talked about cameo, felt a little forced imo. Although It technically makes sense in the grand scheme of things, with he's other appearances in the animated shows etc.

7/10 for me. It's pretty remarkable that the movie was not pushed back, considering the production issues. It felt like a complete movie.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: May 27, 2018, 01:17:50 PM »
I really enjoyed Solo a lot. A very fun movie and I think it's the first Ron Howard directed movie that enjoyed in quite a while.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens