Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248090 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #630 on: April 09, 2018, 07:00:21 AM »
It's a difficult one, because if he were to play it too close to Harrison Ford, he'll be accused of doing a bad impersonation, and if he does his own thing, people will also complain that it's not true to the original.

But even so, for me, he'll still need to have that cocky, overconfident "swagger" to play the character. (Maybe even more so, if it's a younger version of Han) I'm not sure I've seen that yet, from the short clips we've seen, but hopefully we will get it in the movie.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #631 on: April 09, 2018, 07:29:29 AM »
I won't see Solo in the theater, but I'll check it out once it comes around to cable.  The movie wasn't "necessary" but hey, they made it anyway, so I might as well see what they came up with.  I don't worship Star Wars like some do, but I like most of it and the universe they've created.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #632 on: April 09, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
Looks like a fun Star Wars action movie. It appears that Han was miscast and I'm concerned with the reported talent issues with him. That being said, the trailer looks cool and I think it will be a good fun film.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #633 on: April 09, 2018, 09:47:20 AM »
Looks like a fun Star Wars action movie. It appears that Han was miscast and I'm concerned with the reported talent issues with him. That being said, the trailer looks cool and I think it will be a good fun film.

I think it looks cool as well and predict it'll be a much bigger success than the negative 'buzz' around the internet is leading us to believe. I mean, the production alone looks incredible.

Question is.....will this be the first SW movie that does not have a light saber in it?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: April 09, 2018, 10:33:19 PM »
Ran across this fan video....thought it was pretty neat.

https://youtu.be/pykJCXKhllA

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #635 on: April 11, 2018, 06:48:41 PM »
Trailer was ok. I'm still not convinced that this dude is Han Solo, but I'm open to persuasion.

I'm intrigued about that extra bit on the front of the Falcon, between the two front "jaws". What is it? Some kind of escape pod?

Yeah I'm sure they have some silly explanation, a sister ship, a makeover after they crash it, lightened it up to be faster than the average freighter or some crap.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #636 on: April 12, 2018, 06:08:39 AM »
Han did say that he had made some special modifications to the Falcon in ANH, so it makes sense that it looks different when he first gets it.

Offline Aelon

« Reply #637 on: April 12, 2018, 07:01:36 AM »
I think I saw somewhere in the toy version that it was a separate ship that ejects or something.
“And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats...”

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #638 on: April 12, 2018, 07:19:29 AM »
This trailer was definitely better than what we've previously seen, and Donald Glover looks like he's gonna kill it, but I'll be giving this one a miss.

Agreed.

Trailer was ok. I'm still not convinced that this dude is Han Solo, but I'm open to persuasion.

I wlth you on this as well.  I'm open to persuasion, but I'm not feeling it AT ALL at the moment.  Look, he doesn't need to *be* just like Harrison Ford, but he has to be believable that he could grow in to the same character as Harrison Ford.  To me, Ewan McGregor nailed the prequel Obi-Wan.  He had the mannerisms, altered his accent ever so slightly, and adapted the style/inflection of his voice.  He studied Sir Alec a LOT to prepare and give an authentic younger Obi-Wan.  And he convinced me he was a younger Obi-Wan.

I get none of that from this guy (not even bothered to look up his name).  To me, it feels like they didn't even care - completely ignoring/disregarding Harrison's delivery of Han.  It's tantamount to completely swapping out actors for the same character (ala Terrence Howard/Don Cheadle in the MCU)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: April 12, 2018, 08:24:05 AM »
Started on 'Rebels' last night.....only watched the first episode but it was pretty neat.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #640 on: April 13, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »
Started on 'Rebels' last night.....only watched the first episode but it was pretty neat.

It's a good but not great series. There are some really great episodes and some duds, similar to clone wars which I prefer. Still a worthy addition to the Star Wars cannon. Looking forward to the next iteration. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: April 13, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »

It's a good but not great series. There are some really great episodes and some duds, similar to clone wars which I prefer. Still a worthy addition to the Star Wars cannon. Looking forward to the next iteration.

I hammered out another three episodes last night. If it sticks to what you're saying and is similar to Clone Wars as far as the frequency of dud vs cool episodes....I'm cool with it. Plus, I know from just seeing here and there that Ahsoka comes back at a later date so that'll keep me hooked. For whatever reason I have an odd fascination and attraction to her character. Curious to see how she's used in 'Rebels'.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #642 on: April 13, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »

I hammered out another three episodes last night. If it sticks to what you're saying and is similar to Clone Wars as far as the frequency of dud vs cool episodes....I'm cool with it. Plus, I know from just seeing here and there that Ahsoka comes back at a later date so that'll keep me hooked. For whatever reason I have an odd fascination and attraction to her character. Curious to see how she's used in 'Rebels'.

I'd have to watch the series again to say for sure, but based on memory season 2 is best probably because of Ahsoka and Vader. Season 1 is easily weakest season of the show.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #643 on: April 13, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »
The end of season 2 is fantastic. By any standard. The rest of the show is as you've described, sometimes good, sometimes a bit silly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #644 on: April 17, 2018, 11:34:42 AM »
Okay, here is something that REALLY bothers me about the Star Wars films.  More than Jar-Jar.  More than probably anything else, even though it is a seemingly minor detail.

R2-D2 and C-3PO do not belong in ANY of the prequel trilogy films or Rogue One.  Neither does Chewbacca, but I can tolerate his presence in ROTS because it sort of makes sense that he could have been at the battle of Kashyyyk.  But still, I prefer to think he was more of a solitary rogue even at that point, because it better suits the character that was portrayed in the OT and beyond.  But anyway, the droids do not belong in the PT or R1.  Or if they were portrayed there, their appearances should have been brief and minor.  There was plenty of other fan service and plenty of other callbacks.  We didn't need the stupid droids.

Perhaps the most important reason is that, in the OT, neither Obi Wan nor Vader appear to recognize the droids.  The EXTENSIVE and rather intimate interaction the two had with those two droids in the PT just doesn't make sense and appears to obviously retconned that it takes me out of the moment almost whenever they are onscreen in the PT.  Second, their interaction and character arcs in the OT don't really make much sense given the extent of their close interaction with one another in the PT.  Third, as I alluded to above, their presence in the PT was completely unnecessary. 

As far as R1, I think they actually should have been in that film, but just not where they were placed.  There is no evidence that Leia or the Tantive IV were on Yavin 4 at any point during the events in R1.  Therefore, the droids shouldn't have been there.  If they were to be given a cameo in that movie, it should have been at the end aboard the Tantive IV when the plans are given to Leia.  Yeah, there could be any number of ways in which they actually got from Yavin 4 to the Tantive IV in the interim.  But the events that occur between the time we see the droids and the time the battle of Scarif occur in such a rapid-fire manner in such a short period of time that it would seem very odd for the droids to have been picked up and taken along, which leads some of us in the audience to stop and have to think about how it could have happened and how unlikely it would be.  And, IMO, if it is likely that the audience will do that, then the storytellers haven't done a good job.  And that brings me to another problem altogether that I had with an otherwise stellar R1.  The Tantive IV shouldn't have been there to begin with.  It wasn't a war ship, and Leia was too important a leader to have been present at a battle that was likely to be a suicide mission or at the very least result in HEAVY casualties for the rebellion.  They could have done the ending sequence basically the same, but had it be some other ship.  That other ship beams the plans away just as Vader kills the person who did it.  The Imperials then look at the ship's computers and determine that the plans were beamed to the Tantive IV and are able to ascertain its location from the transmission, and have a line about jumping to hyperspace to immediately pursue it near Tatooine.  THEN it should cut to the scene were Leia is given the plans and delivers her "hope" line, with the droids present, if necessary.  That would be a much cleaner way to do it and still bridge us directly to the opening of Ep. IV.

/rant
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:45:01 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #645 on: April 17, 2018, 11:38:31 AM »
I recall decades ago (like probably early 90s) hearing that Lucas planned on having the droids be the only characters who would be in all 9 episodes. So at least at some level they were always vaguely planned. I agree though that the way they were in the prequel trilogy made no sense given the lack of recognition from Obi-Wan.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #646 on: April 17, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »
Yep, back when Lucas said that there would be nine episodes (before he changed it to six and swore he never said nine), he'd also said that R2-D2 and C-3P0 would be the only two characters in all nine episodes.  I always pictured them as being somewhat in the background, popping up once in a while but basically only making cameo appearances.  But it was at least possible since droids "live" a long time.

Then he somehow decided that an eight-year-old kid could build a "protocol droid" (fluent in 400,000 forms of communication) out of scrap metal, and it only went downhill from there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #647 on: April 17, 2018, 12:10:02 PM »
Yeah, and if they happened to show up or were just used differently and in a way that was actually consistent with the PT, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.  But the way they showed up was just all wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #648 on: April 17, 2018, 12:35:53 PM »
The retcon is strong with this prequel trilogy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #649 on: April 17, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »
:lol  Yeah.

Since my rant did include R1 in a major way, I do want to back up and express again how much I love that film.  I think it's still my favorite movie in the franchise, if I had to pick one.  It just provides so much richness and texture to the Star Wars universe, and it is gritty in all the right ways without going too far and taking us out of that universe.  It's funny how a movie I had so little interest in when I initially heard about it ended up being my favorite of the bunch.

I was reading the Wikipedia summary to look up something in one of my previous posts, and found the following about the sound track.  I love the alternate titles.  :lol

All music was composed by Giacchino except where noted. Giacchino, who has a history of using track titles that contain wordplay, shared his alternate list in the liner notes of the soundtrack release. These names are listed in the notes.

1. "He's Here for Us" ("A Krennic Connection") 3:20
2. "A Long Ride Ahead" ("Jyn and Scare It") 3:56
3. "Wobani Imperial Labor Camp" ("Jyncarcerated") 0:54
4. "Trust Goes Both Ways" ("Going to See Saw"; includes "The Force Theme" by John Williams) 2:45
5. "When Has Become Now" ("That New Death Star Smell"; includes "Death Star Motif" by John Williams) 1:59
6. "Jedha Arrival" ("Jedha Call Saw") 2:48
7. "Jedha City Ambush" ("When Ambush Come to Shove") 2:19
8. "Star-Dust" ("Erso-Facto") 3:47
9. "Confrontation on Eadu" ("Go Do, That Eadu, That You Do, So Well"; includes "Death Star Motif" by John Williams) 8:05
10. "Krennic's Aspirations" ("Have a Choke and a Smile"; includes "Imperial Motif" and "The Imperial March" by John Williams) 4:16
11. "Rebellions Are Built on Hope" ("Erso in Vain") 2:56
12. "Rogue One" ("Takes One to Rogue One"; includes "The Force Theme" by John Williams) 2:04
13. "Cargo Shuttle SW-0608" ("World's Worst Vacation Destination") 3:59
14. "Scrambling the Rebel Fleet" ("Scarif Tactics"; includes "The Force Theme" and "Star Wars Main Theme" by John Williams) 1:33
15. "AT-ACT Assault" ("Bazed and Confused"; includes "Rebel Fanfare" and "Imperial Walkers" by John Williams) 2:55
16. "The Master Switch" ("Switch Hunt") 4:02
17. "Your Father Would Be Proud" ("Transmission Impossible") 4:51
18. "Hope" ("Live and Let Jedi"; includes "The Imperial March", "Death Star Motif", "Rebel Blockade Runner", and "The Force Theme" by John Williams) 1:37
19. "Jyn Erso and Hope Suite" 5:51
20. "The Imperial Suite" 2:29
21. "Guardians of the Whills Suite" 2:52

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #650 on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »
Most of those are pretty great! :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #651 on: April 17, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
Perhaps the most important reason is that, in the OT, neither Obi Wan nor Vader appear to recognize the droids.  The EXTENSIVE and rather intimate interaction the two had with those two droids in the PT just doesn't make sense and appears to obviously retconned that it takes me out of the moment almost whenever they are onscreen in the PT.

Well...the whole thing about Obi-Wan claiming not to recall ever owning a droid has been the subject of tons of discussion online.  The most plausible explanation (IMO) is that he was being poker faced so as not to reveal too much to Luke too soon.  Obi-Wan's facial expression when he told Luke he didn't recall ever owning a droid was completely consistent with someone concealing something he didn't want to disclose.  After all, he lied to Luke about what happened to Anakin, so it's not too surprising that he wouldn't say, "Oh yeah!  Those are the droids I hung around with during the Battle of Naboo and the Clone Wars.  I had their memories wiped after your father turned into Darth Vader.  Oh, hey, fun fact:  your father actually built C3PO!  Small galaxy, eh?!"

As far as Darth Vader's seeming ignorance of the droids, I don't think Vader ever saw either of them in ANH (except maybe briefly after he killed Obi-Wan and everyone was running into the Millennium Falcon).  In Empire, Vader saw both of the droids in Cloud City, but what was he supposed to do, say, "Hey!  Those are MY droids!"  And, for all we know he was slack-jawed underneath his mask when he saw them.  By that point, why would he give a crap about a couple droids he owned before he became "more machine . . . than man."  He had actively buried his prior identity as Anakin, so any sort of emotional reaction on seeing the droids would have been grossly inconsistent with the character.

So, from that point of view, I don't think any of this is problematic.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #652 on: April 18, 2018, 04:36:57 AM »
Bought TLJ on blu ray, and finally had the chance to watch the feature length documentary. One of the best "making of" documentary's made about a SW movie, and just a plain great documentary period!

It was great to see Rian Johnson and the producer Ram Bergman, being like kids lost in a candy store! An indie director and producer with no experience with large productions, just going at it. Say what you want about the film, but Johnson and Bergman were swinging for the fences, during every single day of the production. Rian stood 100% behind his vision, and it shows!

Some of The Last Jedi worked for me, some it didn't. But even after another rewatch, I still like it very much.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #653 on: April 18, 2018, 07:12:43 AM »
That's one thing I've gotten from pretty much everything I've read about Rian Johnson.  Whether you think he's a genius, completely shit on what The Force Awakens had set up, or anything in between, he definitely had his vision and went for it.  He's shown a true love of the Star Wars universe and franchise, and got his chance to make a Star Wars movie and did it, his way.  Whether or not one might agree with any given thing he did, well, that's down to individual taste and experience.

A lot of The Last Jedi was pretty cool, some of it didn't really work for me, and the rest is somewhere in between.  Overall, it was entertaining and I try not to think about the flaws too much.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #654 on: April 18, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »
Michael Giacchino is often pretty funny with his track titles. Just look up his stuff for the new Planet of the Apes movies.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #655 on: April 21, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
I finally saw the picture that Empire put out of Paul Bettany standing near the Mandalorian armor. I know a lot of people are speculating that’s how Boba Fett might get his armor, but I’m thinking, based on the scars on Bettany’s face, that he is playing a Mandalorian warlord, and he probably came across some Jedi in his characters backstory. If there’s any connection to Boba Fett, it will be through Bettany’s character. The seeds of Han’s rivalry with Fett could be at play here. If the film warrents it, I rather another adventure of Young Han Solo and Chewie with Boba as an antagonist rather than a solo Boba Fett movie.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #656 on: April 24, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
Did Han Solo and Boba Fett have any kind of long standing connection? I just assumed Boba Fett was a random bounty hunter with some nifty armor

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #657 on: April 25, 2018, 12:26:24 AM »
I don’t know, the only thing that could hint at that that can think of is just before Boba Fett dies Chewie yells something about him and Han seems to know the name. I also assume it’s possible that they’ve run into each other while both doing work for Jabba.

Also, saw The Last Jedi again for the first time since the theater. Every subsequent viewing of this movie pretty much cements my initial sentiment: much to love, much to hate, probably making it the most difficult Star Wars movie to actually pin down how I feel about it overall because of how vastly uneven its quality is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #658 on: April 25, 2018, 02:43:06 PM »
Periodically, when I think about Star Wars, I often stop and wonder--why doesn't Chewbacca wear any pants?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #659 on: April 25, 2018, 05:49:41 PM »
Periodically, when I think about Star Wars, I often stop and wonder--why doesn't Chewbacca wear any pants?

He's a hippy free love child. It explains all of the hair...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: April 25, 2018, 06:44:48 PM »
The end of season 2 is fantastic. By any standard. The rest of the show is as you've described, sometimes good, sometimes a bit silly.
I'd have to watch the series again to say for sure, but based on memory season 2 is best probably because of Ahsoka and Vader. Season 1 is easily weakest season of the show.

I'm 8 Episodes in to season 2 and really enjoying it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #661 on: April 25, 2018, 11:44:18 PM »

According to the EU book "Secrets of the Kashyyyk", Wookiees have retractable penises that only extend during extended foreplay of several hours, with their sexual encounters lasting several days, so they typically don't have any visible genitalia to cover up under most circumstances.
Also Wookiees have extremely sensitive fur that they use to detect subtle disruptions in localized conditions such as invaders moving through a forest, which is what makes them such a good warrior race. Wearing clothes apparently interferes with that.

Also I just made that all up, but it's probably the kind of thing they'd stick in the EU anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #662 on: April 26, 2018, 08:44:53 AM »
:lol

Even if all that were true (and part of me oh so wishes that it is!), there is still the issue of unwanted wookie butt sweat everywhere they sit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #663 on: April 26, 2018, 08:51:48 AM »
Chewbacca's bandolier is actually full of wipes to remove unwanted butt sweat. Read the EU some time, people.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #664 on: April 26, 2018, 09:12:51 AM »
I confess that I hadn't even considered that possibility.

By the way, what prompted my post was an article in my newsfeed yesterday titled "Fully Shaved Chewbacca Is The Most Horrifying Thing Ever."  :lol
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:26:47 AM by bosk1 »