Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248128 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #455 on: February 05, 2018, 01:19:03 PM »
I think it would make for a better movie if they included all those things EXCEPT for the Kessel run, and just either alluded to it or left it dangling at the end, something like:  Final scene is Han has to smuggle something really important, and has an impossibly short time to do it or there will be bad consequences, and he is being warned that NOBODY could possibly do it, and he smugly says, "Never tell me the odds," and the movie just ends at that point, or something like that.  Yeah, fans would probably rage endlessly about "WE NEVER ACTUALLY GOT TO SEE HAN DO THE KESSEL RUN!"  But who cares?  It would be a better film.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #456 on: February 05, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
If Jabba's in it I hope he's a giant giant rubber slug with two dudes inside and not CGI.
Agreed 100%
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #457 on: February 05, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »
We know that Episode 9 is the final film in the Skywalker saga...

Funny. In 1983 we knew that Episode 6 was the final film in the Skywalker saga.

Not really.   George himself stated around the time of ESB that he had 3 trilogies in his head....9 movies altogether.  He just decided he was sick of doing it after RotJ.   Then he went back to the prequels for a giant payday, and then ultimately decided he just wasn't going to tell the final 3 stories.    Then, after he sold out, he did submit his original ideas to (not sure if it was Disney or JJ, but one of the two), but we're still not sure how much they used and how much they threw away.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: February 05, 2018, 11:19:29 PM »
I was being a little flippant, but I am not sure how many people knew all of that about Lucas in 1983. I don't think I knew any of that in 1993.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #459 on: February 06, 2018, 05:33:37 AM »
I was being a little flippant, but I am not sure how many people knew all of that about Lucas in 1983. I don't think I knew any of that in 1993.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #460 on: February 06, 2018, 06:59:39 AM »
That's how I remember it, too.  The first Star Wars film was just Star Wars.  Then for some reason, it was "Episode IV -- A New Hope".  George explained that it's really the first of a trilogy, and that there will be nine "episodes" altogether, a trilogy of trilogies if you will.  Then after the prequel trilogies sucked, he said that there was only ever going to be six episodes.  I think I read at least one thing where he specifically denied ever saying that there would be nine, that it was always six.  The public is stupid and memory is fallible, but not everybody just forgot what you said before, George.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #462 on: February 06, 2018, 07:14:32 AM »
Nice find!  I've never seen that before, but it all fits.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #463 on: February 06, 2018, 01:32:45 PM »
Every frame we’ve gotten of Donald Glover as Lando is the suavest space shit I ever seen!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #464 on: February 06, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »
Every frame we’ve gotten of Donald Glover as Lando is the suavest space shit I ever seen!

I'm pretty sure he is the one aspect of this movie that no one is the least bit worried about.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: February 06, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/06/game-of-thrones-showrunners-to-write-produce-star-wars-movies

Interesting.  As much as I love the GoT show and admire the work those two did on it, I do wonder how much of that credit should go to GRRM, since once GRRM left the show, most would agree the writing went downhill.  But who knows, if they are going to do a totally different series in the universe, maybe these two could make it really interesting.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #466 on: February 06, 2018, 02:45:36 PM »
^

I was just going to post the same story. This is another set of movies, separate from the new trilogy given to Rian Johnston.

I wonder if these movies will be more hard edged, aimed at an older audience maybe? That would be very interesting.

https://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #467 on: February 06, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »
I'm always happy to watch new Star Wars movies..

But two different trilogies, possibly running in theaters roughly at the same time?? That's to much.

Star Wars will lose the "Event film" quality, if they start to pump out movies at the same rate as Marvel.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: February 06, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »

But two different trilogies, possibly running in theaters roughly at the same time?? That's to much.

Star Wars will lose the "Event film" quality, if they start to pump out movies at the same rate as Marvel.

It kind of feels like it already has after TLJ.  Maybe I am wrong since I kind of live in my own bubble, but I didn't really experience the hype and fan craziness that the previous movies had.  It's already now been three years in a row with a SW movie. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #469 on: February 06, 2018, 03:38:46 PM »
I can imagine Rian Johnson's trilogy and this series will alternate release years or something. More than one Star Wars movie a year is pushing it for me. Though if they're good I won't care much.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #470 on: February 06, 2018, 05:41:22 PM »
I wonder if these movies will be more hard edged, aimed at an older audience maybe? That would be very interesting.

This. I love a Star Wars movie as the next guy but to keep it fresh and to keep from diluting the market I think in one of these iterations Kennedy has to give the green light to some gritty....dare I say R rated type Star Wars stories.

Release after Release of watered down stories for all may get old.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: February 06, 2018, 10:03:33 PM »

It kind of feels like it already has after TLJ.  Maybe I am wrong since I kind of live in my own bubble, but I didn't really experience the hype and fan craziness that the previous movies had.  It's already now been three years in a row with a SW movie. 

Having TLJ and Han Solo only half a year apart is already wearing out the novelty for me. It will be interesting to see how Solo compares to Rogue One. I really doubt it will hit a billion like the other movies have.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #472 on: February 06, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »

This. I love a Star Wars movie as the next guy but to keep it fresh and to keep from diluting the market I think in one of these iterations Kennedy has to give the green light to some gritty....dare I say R rated type Star Wars stories.

I don't think that Disney would allow that. I might be way off with this, but have they ever had an r-rated movie? I can't think of any, but I'm not a huge movie buff.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jammindude

« Reply #473 on: February 06, 2018, 11:40:57 PM »

I don't think that Disney would allow that. I might be way off with this, but have they ever had an r-rated movie? I can't think of any, but I'm not a huge movie buff.

Not under the Disney banner....but Disney has owned other studios that have. Touchstone probably being the most popular.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: February 07, 2018, 12:14:41 AM »
I doubt that Disney would ever go that adult with a well known family franchise like Star Wars, even given this latest news. It will probably be a little bit darker than the main series, but still within their usual rating. They want to maximize their audience and profit.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #475 on: February 07, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »
No way does Disney allow an R rated Star Wars movie. Not anytime soon anyway. A gritty PG-13, sure. They're leaving too much possible money on the table if they went R.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: February 07, 2018, 06:29:06 AM »
No brothel scene in a future Star Wars?   :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #477 on: February 07, 2018, 07:31:59 AM »
I would assume that there wouldn't be two star wars movies per year. If there are going to be two new trilogies at the same time it would make sense that a new film is released every December and the trilogies alternate years. There would always be something to look forward too. I don't see any negatives around this. It will be interesting to see what the two new series are based around. I hope one is about the old republic or the rise of the Jedi/Sith and the other is something new. The question I have is that if one of these series is something brand new in the Star Wars universe what things from the existing films need to stay around to make it Star Wars?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #478 on: February 07, 2018, 11:07:31 AM »
That's a good point. Does that fact that it's a space based sci-fi movie make it Star Wars, does there need to be Jedi or at least the mention of the force?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:30:40 AM by lordxizor »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: February 07, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
Personally, I will be disappointed if at least one of these new trilogies don't focus on or heavily include Jedi/Sith and Force users. The 'force' is what makes Star Wars IMO....without it or the Jedi/Sith it's just another sci fi story.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #480 on: February 08, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
While I understand the sentiment, I completely disagree and I think that Rogue One kind of proved that it absolutely could make at least a few films work (and flourish, if Rogue is any indication) while using very little Force aspects and little to zero use of the Jedi/Sith.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: February 08, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »
For as long as people have the mindset that a Star Wars movie needs lightsabres, the force, Skywalkers etc, we're going to keep getting the same old regurgitated shit.
I love that Rogue One limited a lot of those elements, so they remain special and rare when used, rather than the TLJ approach of "everybody's special and can use the force now"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: February 08, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
But if you take all that out, what makes it a Star Wars film? Just the location?  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  RO wasn't very good in my eyes, but it had nothing to do with a lesser amount of force/jedi.   They certainly could make a good movie in the universe without all that, but what's the point really?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: February 08, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »
There's a lot more to Star Wars than just light swords and magic. There's an entire universe of other ideas to explore. There are only so many times you can see the same few ideas before it gets stale.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: February 08, 2018, 12:09:31 PM »
While I understand the sentiment, I completely disagree and I think that Rogue One kind of proved that it absolutely could make at least a few films work (and flourish, if Rogue is any indication) while using very little Force aspects and little to zero use of the Jedi/Sith.

But arguable the best part of RO was the ending sequence with Vadar....using the Force and his light saber.

I'm not saying EVERY SW Film has to have Force users and Sabers. I think there's plenty of story to be told. My petition is for at least one of the two separate Trilogy's that Disney has announced....to have Force Users/light sabers etc involved in it. Otherwise, these are just sci fi space movies with the Star Wars name attached to it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: February 08, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »
There's a lot more to Star Wars than light swords and magic. There's an entire universe of other ideas to explore. There are only so many times you can see the same few ideas before it gets stale.

If Clone Wars is any indication though......they've merely scratched the surface on what types of 'force' powers and light saber battles are possible.

Like I said, I think there's plenty of room for both. I don't think you can eliminate the force/saber stuff though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #486 on: February 08, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »
Honestly, I don't see what the issue is either way.  Just because the force and lightsabers are involved doesn't mean it's just rehashing the same old thing.  Not sure what your problem is with that, Blob, but people obviously enjoy the films.  If you don't, don't watch them.  Not sure where the hostility is coming from.

And on the flip side, if they want to do some standalone films in the SW universe that don't have anything to do with the force, that's cool too.  The "point" is that it is supposed to be an entire galaxy, so there is plenty of story to be told if they have some good ideas.  To use an example, thus far, Daredevil has had no crossover whatsoever that I am aware of with the Avengers-based Marvel Universe.  So what's the point of even telling that story and having it be Marvel?  The point is that it's a good story.  And it doesn't NEED to have the Avengers in it to be a good Marvel story. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #487 on: February 10, 2018, 03:29:48 AM »
While I get that analogy, and mostly agree with it, I think the case could be made that it would be more like if Marvel did a movie/TV show without someone ”special” fighting crime as the main plot. It’s sort of what they do. Like if they did a season of Daredevil with only legal drama, I think people would feel weird about them taking away the very thing that they come to Marvel movies for.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: February 10, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »
While I get that analogy, and mostly agree with it, I think the case could be made that it would be more like if Marvel did a movie/TV show without someone ”special” fighting crime as the main plot. It’s sort of what they do. Like if they did a season of Daredevil with only legal drama, I think people would feel weird about them taking away the very thing that they come to Marvel movies for.

That’s kind of my point in a nut shell. SW captivated imaginations with the idea of the Force and some cool light saber battles/scenes. To remove those aspects completely from future movies just turns those movies into cool sci fi movies.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be cool to have separate stories unrelated to the Force/Jedi/with etc. certainly a huge universe to explore. But one of the upcoming trilogies HAS to be related to what captivated 98% of the audience in the first place.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #489 on: February 10, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »
Not commenting on Star Wars or anything, but honestly if Daredevil had just been Matt and Foggy trying to start a legal practice I probably would have liked the show more. :lol