Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248109 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #350 on: January 12, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »
That whole thing with Rose and Finn was the biggest WTF in the entire movie for me.  For one, Rose was the younger sister of someone we'd seen die valiantly, and I thought she was supposed to be like 12 years old, but okay I figured you're never too young to join the resistance.  Then they went on that whole mission to find the hacker, didn't find him but did manage to find a guy who claimed to be a hacker, but then he betrayed them and the mission failed.  Nice waste of half an hour there.

Then Finn is ready to sacrifice himself to take out the nuclear battering ram thing, and Rose takes him out.  Why!?  After wasting the entire movie, I figured Finn was gonna at least go out with a heroic exit, but no.  Somewhere in there, she kissed him, and I finally realized that she's not supposed to be 12.  15 maybe?  But that whole thing made no fucking sense.

What? I know asians look young, but she's 28 man. She's older than John Boyega. :lol

I know right.  It's like Bob's racist or something!  :lol  Is this like a case where black people are allowed to use the N word?  Asians can bitch about how young other Asians look?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #351 on: January 12, 2018, 12:50:28 PM »
I guess it was my first impression and I couldn't get past it.
I think this might be an indication of your age, rather than hers. ;)

Rose was awesome.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #352 on: January 12, 2018, 01:00:32 PM »
That whole thing with Rose and Finn was the biggest WTF in the entire movie for me.  For one, Rose was the younger sister of someone we'd seen die valiantly, and I thought she was supposed to be like 12 years old, but okay I figured you're never too young to join the resistance.  Then they went on that whole mission to find the hacker, didn't find him but did manage to find a guy who claimed to be a hacker, but then he betrayed them and the mission failed.  Nice waste of half an hour there.

Then Finn is ready to sacrifice himself to take out the nuclear battering ram thing, and Rose takes him out.  Why!?  After wasting the entire movie, I figured Finn was gonna at least go out with a heroic exit, but no.  Somewhere in there, she kissed him, and I finally realized that she's not supposed to be 12.  15 maybe?  But that whole thing made no fucking sense.

What? I know asians look young, but she's 28 man. She's older than John Boyega. :lol

I know right.  It's like Bob's racist or something!  :lol  Is this like a case where black people are allowed to use the N word?  Asians can bitch about how young other Asians look?

Yep.

Yep.

Rose was awesome.

Nope.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »

Rose was awesome.

Yep!

They could have done a lot more with Rose, but the movie is pretty overstuffed as it is. Her speech at the end could have been cut altogether though! :biggrin: Okay, let her save Finn, but the collision could have just knocked her out.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2018, 07:43:06 PM »
Quote from: Orber

[/quote

:rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #355 on: January 17, 2018, 07:55:30 AM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #356 on: January 17, 2018, 09:49:31 AM »
:lol

Although I'd hardly call Poe trusting.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #357 on: January 19, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #358 on: January 19, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
Any word on when there will be a trailer for Solo? Seems odd that the movie will be out in less than 4 months and there hasn't been anything release yet. I still think they should move it to December. I sense that regardless of how good or bad the film turns out that it's going to bomb in May for number of reasons including lack of marketing, fatigue from The Last Jedi, and The Avengers film.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #359 on: January 19, 2018, 03:00:34 PM »
Any word on when there will be a trailer for Solo? Seems odd that the movie will be out in less than 4 months and there hasn't been anything release yet. I still think they should move it to December. I sense that regardless of how good or bad the film turns out that it's going to bomb in May for number of reasons including lack of marketing, fatigue from The Last Jedi, and The Avengers film.

And Deadpool 2
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #360 on: January 19, 2018, 09:24:44 PM »
I don't know how this trainwreck hasn't been pushed back to December yet. We're not that far out yet, and we've yet to see a single second of footage from this movie. It would be in their best interest to give this more time, not just for the sake of this movie, but the franchise in general.

I can just imagine Disney mentioning a big Solo announcement and everyone expects a trailer, only for them to announce a new December date. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2018, 05:29:14 AM »
I also wonder if this delay in releasing a trailer is them deciding if this movie should be pushed back to December. I personally like others would not mind a Star Wars release every December.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2018, 05:38:54 AM »
I've been quite liking the regular December releases, and I think having two SW movies only half a year apart could cause some franchise fatigue.
On top of that, expectations for this movie are quite low, and coming off the mixed reception to TLJ, it could hurt them in the long run. Hopefully the rumours of this movie being bad are overstated as they were with Rogue One, but there's no buzz for this right now.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2018, 10:33:22 AM »
Ron Howard does give me hope.   He's not incapable of making a bad movie (as I've heard the DaVinci Code was a steaming turd), but he's got a pretty good track record.   He's certainly had far more good outings than bad. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2018, 11:29:49 AM »
Ron Howard was put in a tough situation, being a replacement director at such a late stage, so I won't blame him if it turns out to be a turd.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2018, 08:54:37 PM »
I like the idea of having an early summer release. Star Wars every six months is fine with me if they can have the capacity and creativity to keep it exciting. I think the Solo movie will be fun, it makes me wonder if that movie will be a little more light hearted? I mean, a young Han Solo on his adventures being a smuggler for Jabba and cruising the Melleniam Falcon around the galaxy. I hope they have a lot of Jabba The Butt in this movie and his dealings with Solo and the Wookie.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #366 on: January 22, 2018, 06:51:27 AM »
There is no reason to have this released in May. If Disney goes this route then I think it will be their first major mistake with the Franchise. They won't be hurting for money considering they have 3 Marvel films being released in a 7 month time frame. The only way I see them releasing this in May is if they know they fucked up and made a shitty movie and want it out and forgotten once the Avengers comes out.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #367 on: January 22, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
The only way I see them releasing this in May is if they know they fucked up and made a shitty movie and want it out and forgotten once the Avengers comes out.
Or they have a completed film and want to stick with the original schedule. No reason to think that in and of itself is a bad sign.

Marvel releases several movies a year and they're all at least partially interrelated. While I think there is a bit of Marvel fatigue going on, they are mostly really enjoyable movies and do well commercially. No reason they can't have two Star Wars movies released within 6 months of each other. Though I would prefer they stick to one December release per year.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #368 on: January 22, 2018, 09:24:39 AM »
The reason why people are tending toward "negative speculation" regarding the Solo movie is because there has been zero promotion for it thus far, and overall very little media buzz (other than all the behind-the-scenes issues).  If the movie is coming out in four months, especially a Star Wars movie, we would normally be getting hammered by promo for it by now.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #369 on: January 22, 2018, 09:25:56 AM »
Well it’s the lack of promo AND all the negative buzz.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #370 on: January 22, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
Sure, I get all that. There's plenty of reason to be worried. I just don't think sticking to the original schedule, even with all the reshoots, is one of them. Now if they are doing reshoots in April, it would make me worried.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #371 on: January 22, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »
Calling it now, they are going to delay it for a couple of months, possibly even as far as December!

Four months out, and not even a teaser trailer, weird...

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #372 on: January 22, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »
It is weird. Even with all the rumored issues, I find it hard to believe they couldn't have come out with a teaser trailer by now. They could have cobbled together something with the original footage they ended up supposedly tossing out. If they movie is so bad they can't even put together a 1 minute teaser, they might as well cut their losses and can the whole thing. I suspect there are other reasons, and I also suspect that they would have delayed the release date by now if they were going to. But we'll see. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #373 on: January 22, 2018, 09:57:44 AM »
I heard a rumor that we'll get a teaser this week maybe.

In the end, I doubt the movie will be terrible. Obviously some people will hate it, just as they hated every other SW movie (even SW fans), some people will love it cause it will be fun and have tons of fan service, and most people will think it's just okay.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #374 on: January 22, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »
The only way I see them releasing this in May is if they know they fucked up and made a shitty movie and want it out and forgotten once the Avengers comes out.
Or they have a completed film and want to stick with the original schedule. No reason to think that in and of itself is a bad sign.

Marvel releases several movies a year and they're all at least partially interrelated. While I think there is a bit of Marvel fatigue going on, they are mostly really enjoyable movies and do well commercially. No reason they can't have two Star Wars movies released within 6 months of each other. Though I would prefer they stick to one December release per year.

Yeah, I agree with all of that, lordxizor. 

And with the "Marvel fatigue," we've been getting MCU films at the clip of 2-3 a year for several years now (which they know they can afford to do because most fans are onboard at least until Infinity War concludes).  We're nowhere near that level of market saturation with Star Wars.  I don't see the timing as an issue in and of itself.  The main issue will simply be the quality of the film.  If it is good, the timing will work in favor for the SW universe.  If it is bad, I don't really see the timing having an impact other than people trying to argue that it was "rushed."  But I don't really see timing being the issue if the quality is just lacking because I don't see anything suggesting that things have been rushed on this film.

It is weird. Even with all the rumored issues, I find it hard to believe they couldn't have come out with a teaser trailer by now. They could have cobbled together something with the original footage they ended up supposedly tossing out. If they movie is so bad they can't even put together a 1 minute teaser, they might as well cut their losses and can the whole thing. I suspect there are other reasons, and I also suspect that they would have delayed the release date by now if they were going to. But we'll see. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Yeah, same here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #375 on: January 22, 2018, 10:04:10 AM »

In the end, I doubt the movie will be terrible. Obviously some people will hate it, just as they hated every other SW movie (even SW fans), some people will love it cause it will be fun and have tons of fan service, and most people will think it's just okay.

I really don't know what to expect and cannot predict how I will feel about it.  My interest level in a Solo-specific film is low.  And my expectations for it are low.  But as I've mentioned before, I felt that way about Rogue One as well before I had seen a trailer for it, and I ended up loving that film. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »

I've been seeing rumours speculating for just about every day this month, but there will have to be some info very soon, whether it be a trailer or delay announcement (I haven't seen any actual rumours of delays though surprisingly)

Rogue One is the main reason I'm trying to reserve judgement, as the word on that movie was not good concerning reshoots and editing, and the trailer ended up containing a lot of things that weren't even in the movie, and yet it's been my favourite of the Disney Star Wars movies so far.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #377 on: January 26, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »
Disney is being reserved because they know they are going to lose potential profits by having two back to back shitty movies. Solo has probably been re-written 50 times. They should just scrap it!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #378 on: January 26, 2018, 06:22:27 PM »
What was the other one?   The Last Jedi was amazing!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #379 on: January 26, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #380 on: January 27, 2018, 08:03:26 PM »
Amazing?  :loser:

It was okay but far far away from amazing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2018, 01:48:03 AM »
Nah it was awesome, the more I think about it, the more I think it's probably my second favourite behind Empire.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2018, 01:58:23 AM »
I can't say that i prefer it over any of the originals, but it was still very good!

Ben/Ren is just as compelling of a villain as Vader IMO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2018, 02:27:11 AM »
The more I think about TLJ, the more I think what the hell were they thinking.
It goes without saying that it's still better than the prequels, but that's not saying much in itself. The whole tone of the film was off, and it did a lot of damage to the trilogy. I don't envy JJ having to follow that. When all is said and done, I think this is going to be a really odd and jarring trilogy to watch back to back. There were good moments in there, but it's not a movie I'd ever want to watch again.

And what is happening with this Solo film?? Is it coming out in May or not? It's alarming that we're potentially this close to a release date without seeing so much as a single frame of the film. Apparently they're renaming the movie in China to remove any association with Star Wars after the poor performance of TLJ there. Is it even worth releasing it at all there in that case? The main appeal of this movie is that it's a backstory to a beloved OT character, which means nothing to the Chinese audience.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2018, 05:12:33 AM »
It's really difficult to decide what I actually think of The Last Jedi. The highs are so high, the lows are pretty darn low to be honest, and there's a lot of just weird stuff and decisions throughout. It makes for an overall enjoyable experience, but tainted so deeply by certain parts that it's nearly impossible for me to maintain a consistant view of it.